Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I loving love the first clocktower. I first played it at like 2am on a sleepless night emulated on snes9x back in highschool. I stayed up all night playing the drat thing and getting most of the endings. Fond memories. You're doing a drat good job niggurath. keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Man, you forgot to check the suit of armor in the room with the ringing phone, I was so disappointed. What's up with that swaying mannequin at the back of the room anyways? I know Bobby can spawn there occasionally behind the mannequin who's (whose?) head falls off but I've never seen anything with that last mannequin.

Also my pedantry requires mentioning that it's=/=its.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Lacedaemonius posted:

Man, you forgot to check the suit of armor in the room with the ringing phone, I was so disappointed. What's up with that swaying mannequin at the back of the room anyways? I know Bobby can spawn there occasionally behind the mannequin who's (whose?) head falls off but I've never seen anything with that last mannequin.

Also my pedantry requires mentioning that it's=/=its.
It's less that I forgot and more that the thing you're thinking of won't happen since Laura is already dead. I was going to show that off in the bonus video when we do the start a bit out of order. Unless of course there's something else with the armor than Laura's dead body in there. And yeah, I'm going to try my best to get some Scissorman triggers in other rooms since some of those are pretty good, like in the garbage.

Also in regards to the it thing....ya lost me? But I guarantee I'm horrible with my native language and it's many rules, such as when I was sure that intensive purpose was a phrase.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Niggurath posted:

It's less that I forgot and more that the thing you're thinking of won't happen since Laura is already dead. I was going to show that off in the bonus video when we do the start a bit out of order. Unless of course there's something else with the armor than Laura's dead body in there.
Oh, my bad. I always get Laura and Ann confused since they're so similar.

Niggurath posted:

Also in regards to the it thing....ya lost me? But I guarantee I'm horrible with my native language and it's many rules, such as when I was sure that intensive purpose was a phrase.
This is what I mean.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ah, well hopefully I updated the OP at least but yeah, it didn't even register with me. I like apostrophes.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Lacedaemonius posted:

the mannequin who's (whose?) head falls off

While we're being pedantic, here. Perhaps the rest of the LP can also be conducted in PowerPoint format.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Well to move on to another thread oriented subject, maybe you guys heard about a little kickstarter for something called Nightcry: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry/description. Yeah, it's supposed to be a return to form for the Clock Tower franchise and guess who's got a copy of the alpha they put out....well quite a few people probably. But I was thinking if you lovely folks were interested that I'd throw together a video this weekend to show the current state of that. What do you all think?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Frankly Niggurath, I'd watch anything you decide to commentate over, especially the horror genre. I mostly lurk your threads waiting for a couple of videos to come out before I start watching, but I figure I'd speak up finally.

That looks like a real treat, I personally would look forward to you putting out a video of it out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Niggurath is like the Bob Ross of LPs for me. So drat chill about everything. Just makes all the horror games he plays all the more entertaining.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Niggurath posted:

Well to move on to another thread oriented subject, maybe you guys heard about a little kickstarter for something called Nightcry: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry/description. Yeah, it's supposed to be a return to form for the Clock Tower franchise and guess who's got a copy of the alpha they put out....well quite a few people probably. But I was thinking if you lovely folks were interested that I'd throw together a video this weekend to show the current state of that. What do you all think?

I'd love to see it. This game sounds like the shot in the arm the horror genre needs, what with the sore spot that P.T. left.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Then good news cause I got the footage for it recorded and I will probably record the commentary tomorrow (or maybe tonight since it's fresh in my brain). And I will say that it's indeed an interesting experience even if the alpha isn't a lot of content...I think what happens in it will definitely catch some of your off guard.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
The biggest mystery of this game to me is why Oslo? There is nothing in the game indicating that this happen in Norway and the only person with a kind of Norwegian name is Lotte. I guess it's not a location often used but there are so many small things that makes it obvious this isn't anywhere near Oslo.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DimpledFrenchAllosaurus.webm

So here's a special treat for all your lovely folks (though it might still be processing), but here is my run through the alpha build of Nightcry. This makes me super stoked for the game and I hope you guys get the same feeling.

Nyagato posted:

The biggest mystery of this game to me is why Oslo? There is nothing in the game indicating that this happen in Norway and the only person with a kind of Norwegian name is Lotte. I guess it's not a location often used but there are so many small things that makes it obvious this isn't anywhere near Oslo.
Personally I think this was because Phenomena, the giallo film this game was loosely based on, was based in Switzerland...and those are kinda the same thing? Or not. It's just super strange.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That's some... graphics, alright. Suppose the uncanny valley fits the horror genre pretty well though.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'd be more interested if the female main character wasnt so sexualized. Why couldn't they have used a senible design like in the first clocktower? Otherwise ignoring the character design I think this game might have some potential.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At least there's an excuse in that she was trying to impress a date at a party, I suppose. It also made me think that it works to excuse the controls because she's drunk, in high heels, and wearing restrictive clothing so she can't sprint.

Eaten by a soda machine is a hell of a way to go.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Monica is freaked the hell out by little children.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I like how you can tell her animation for that scene is VERY not done. Pretty good for an alpha though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lotish posted:

At least there's an excuse in that she was trying to impress a date at a party, I suppose. It also made me think that it works to excuse the controls because she's drunk, in high heels, and wearing restrictive clothing so she can't sprint.

Eaten by a soda machine is a hell of a way to go.

The character design seems a bit overkill, I get that you want the MC to seem weak in an horror game, but here it's like they dumped all possible ways on her: pigeon-toed, high heels, drunk swaying etc. Had they cut it down a bit it would IMO feel less ridiculous & more effective.
I'm also really annoyed by the strand of hair that keeps going back & forth across her shoulder when she talks.

YOTC posted:

I like how you can tell her animation for that scene is VERY not done. Pretty good for an alpha though.
It may not be done but having her be petrified in terror by someone laughing behind her on a full ship seem a bit odd, having her freak out after the kid disappears would make more sense.

Still the video made me somewhat interested in the game, looking forward to it coming out.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Hel posted:

It may not be done but having her be petrified in terror by someone laughing behind her on a full ship seem a bit odd, having her freak out after the kid disappears would make more sense.

Still the video made me somewhat interested in the game, looking forward to it coming out.

I was completely EH on it until the vending machine. Than I was laughing so hard I was sold. I'm not sure thats what he wanted from that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

That's some... graphics, alright. Suppose the uncanny valley fits the horror genre pretty well though.
While the graphics aren't great, I can easily chalk that up to being in a alpha and unpolished state. And the way people looked didn't bother me that much since I doubt there's going to be a huge cast in the game, since that's the way of most Clock Tower games. If anything I was surprised by how fun it was for the most part and how well the 'Panic Mode' worked out with the fixed camera; my only gripe is that the game at heart is still a bit of a clunky adventure game that isn't always clear on what you have to do.

Take for instance the first room; you'd probably just want to leave since nothing is really going on in there but no, you have to go through multiple dialogues to continue on. I guess it makes sense since it's how you know that you're looking for Harry but this could also be conveyed by text dialogue when leaving the party and Monica saying "Man, I wonder where Harry went?". Granted you'd miss out on the oddity that is the clerk and his rash, but it feels like it streamlines the game a bit more.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, she seemed pretty much fine with the eyeball and only mildly concerned with chanting elevator granny, but that child was super spooky! Still it felt good all around; it left me questioning what the hell was going on and it left me looking forward to seeing where it goes.

DropsySufferer posted:

I'd be more interested if the female main character wasnt so sexualized. Why couldn't they have used a senible design like in the first clocktower? Otherwise ignoring the character design I think this game might have some potential.
A part of me is hoping that the player will control multiple characters over the course of the game, like in Clock Tower 1.5 or at least that Monica sobers up pretty quickly and changes outfits. Hell, if it was me I would have sobered up when the thing that happened to Harry....happened. gently caress, that was super out of left field and made me assume he was doing one of those practical jokes where you pretend to get stuck, but nope it played out pretty differently.

Also more importantly, I've got the footage recorded for the final part of the current run of Clock Tower and I should have that up by maybe Monday, or tonight, who knows. I just don't want to overwhelm people with videos.

VVVVVV
You know, I was more concerned with the fact that Harry looked exactly like re-imagined Dante from DMC. I wish that wasn't the first thing that popped to mind when I saw him.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 13, 2016

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
Was I the only one who thought Harry was just drunkenly hanging out by the vending machines in his underwear? Took me a while to realize he was wearing shorts and a sports coat. I thought the game was just making Monica act completely unfazed by it like she did with the eyeball in order to make things seem more surreal.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I played the translated SNES version of Clock Tower a few years ago and I wish it was a thing back when the SNES was new. There was nothing really like it at the time and, despite the natural flaws that come with something its age, it really does survival horror well. I don't think I ever did get the best ending, so I'm looking forward to that. I probably didn't realize the best way to save your friend's life was to completely ignore her screams.

For those wishing to try something slightly more modern in the same vein, check out the PS2's Haunting Ground. The graphics were phenomenal for the day though it runs into some of the same issues as its spiritual predecessor. I think Niggurath did an LP of that too. It's a shame the Clock Tower series itself came down with a terminal case of magical girl.

EDIT: I know that's only alpha gameplay, but Nightcry doesn't look very promising thus far. Monica has all the appeal of a generic Poser model and her friends gabbing about boys and nothing else doesn't really help. The panic minigame inside the closet adds some neat tension, though.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 13, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DevotedMaleCaiman.webm

And so we end the game having learned absolutely nothing, which is honestly how a lot of giallo films end. Speaking of which, in case people have not experience the ending to Phenomena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIKXNMMpWMk. Such a great movie about a mother who allows her murderous deformed offspring to kill girls at a secluded all girls academy and the hero of the film is Donald Pleasence's helper monkey.

Finally the last video might take a bit more time as it's going to be showing off the other interesting endings and some primary differences in the path you can take to finish the game. So I'll have to finish the game about four or five more times.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
That's one of the most fitting ends for Mary. Killed by the crows that she had killed.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Special guest appearance by the Fetus of God.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

grandalt posted:

That's one of the most fitting ends for Mary. Killed by the crows that she had killed.
Yeah, it's nice that your good deed ends up helping out in the end though Ms. Mary can easily die in other ways during that final sequence.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Special guest appearance by the Fetus of God.
You know I'm actually a bit bummed because I seemed to recall that if you get caught by Big Baby Burrows, that it would show him gobbling you up but sadly it's not that impressive:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ConventionalFlakyConey.webm

Still I did manage to recall that the camera panning over and showing something emerging by the dead blob of baby flesh was something specifically added into the PS1 version to tie into the next game. So that's cool to know and an easy detail to miss out on that they added.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic
nice NICE ......nice

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Surprised the apparently cancelled fan remake Remothered wasn't mentioned in thread. I can't find that much about it on youtube anymore. IIRC it's version of Laura's death in the bath has everything below her shoulders chopped off entirely with a bit of ribcage sticking out of the bottom. The OST has been uploaded but the original video they had with just samples of it is gone as is all the sample footage as far as I could tell in my brief search. According to one of the YouTube comments though the team that was working on Remothered are part of the team working on Nightcry.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I would have mentioned it, but it never really popped up on my radar and the impression I've gotten from reading up on it was that it was probably going to end up like Sadness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-YhHdeyDA

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

Surprised the apparently cancelled fan remake Remothered wasn't mentioned in thread. I can't find that much about it on youtube anymore. IIRC it's version of Laura's death in the bath has everything below her shoulders chopped off entirely with a bit of ribcage sticking out of the bottom. The OST has been uploaded but the original video they had with just samples of it is gone as is all the sample footage as far as I could tell in my brief search. According to one of the YouTube comments though the team that was working on Remothered are part of the team working on Nightcry.

The artist who was the main force behind the game, Chris Darril, is currently with the Nightcry team in an artistic capacity; he's produced a lot of the game's promo art. I haven't heard of anyone else who worked on Remothered in any of its incarnations joining Nightcry - but I'm not sure many other folks did work on Remothered, as most of the stuff produced in conjunction with the title was concept art from Darril. That footage from the second version mentioned above is the most complete a working game that was ever shown.

There was an earlier version before that one - just a straight CT remake made in very rough 3D CG, with Jennifer in her purple pinafore and boasting...very large assets. I think only a brief trailer was released for that version; it was way back several years ago. There was also the third, most recent version, where Darril tried to make the game somewhat into its own IP, one that seemed to be taking a cue from Haunting Ground in featuring several different stalkers: a older female caretaker, a gardener, the Scissorman analogue, and more, with a rather dramatic "Red Nun" character in the lead. A lot of concept art and character info was released for this version, but no gameplay footage or stills. Even with the reworking, though, the version would've had significant legal problems getting released, as it was still very heavily based on Clock Tower, with nearly every character having a CT analogue, and the changes from the original being...very superficial, let us say (link goes to bare-bones, heavily-defaced wiki, but you'll get the idea).

It's a pity, though, that Darril (or whoever) seems to be scrubbing most of the Remothered content from the net, because while the foundations were very derivative, he produced some really nice concept pieces and had some neat ideas. (I liked the housekeeper and gardener, and that Red Nun is a strikingly gialloesque design.) I think it's been claimed that the rights to Remothered were sold, but Darril seems to be backing off on that as of late. (It's hard to tell; Darril communicates mainly through come-and-go acquaintances who really shouldn't be doing PR work.)

Anyhow, if you poke around Darril's gallery via the Red Nun link, you can find more of his surviving pieces from the third version. This site has also archived a few, including concepts of the Laura & Ann analogues as eventual stalkers themselves.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 17, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InfiniteWellgroomedBluewhale.webm

And that's it! Hopefully you guys enjoyed the ride and all that jazz.

Also I had two ideas for the next LP and I was wondering if you guys had a feeling for either one. They are: Silverload or Echo Night.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Porque no los dos.

(I have memories of this game being longer. Then again these are lengthy episodes.)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Niggurath posted:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InfiniteWellgroomedBluewhale.webm

And that's it! Hopefully you guys enjoyed the ride and all that jazz.

Also I had two ideas for the next LP and I was wondering if you guys had a feeling for either one. They are: Silverload or Echo Night.

That's actually some pretty nice variation in endings, especially for a SNES game, Thank you for showing this off.
I've heard about Echo Night Beyond so put me down as voting for it's predecessor.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I've seen a playthrough of Echo Night, but not Silverload, so my vote is Silverload.

Thanks for the Clock Tower LP. Was good getting a refresher course on it and seeing some stuff I never have before apparently.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For the alternate car ending, Lotte's living/dead status doesn't matter?

Edit: Or at least discovering it. It honestly does feel like one of the more sensible ways things could end since if she discovered all her friends were dead and had a car to get out, yeah, don't look back sort of thing.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Echo Night looks very interesting.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Thanks for showing this off, nigguarth. I've seen it before, but its nice to hear you go over it.

Another one I wouldn't mind seeing you play is Uninvited. Several versions but I can't recall which one is better.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Apparently, though I've never done it myself, you can get a tenth "ending" where Jen escapes in the car with no consequences. It involves using the SFC version and visiting the pool first - where, evidently, there is a chance that Ann's drowning death will not occur. In this event, you can go and use the car, which will then trigger the credits but neither of the bad epilogues. (The ending is not listed on the endings list; it also might be noted that the credits are the "standard" credits and not the car-ending credits with the little car graphic.)

Whether this is all a glitch is unknown (and since it seems to be gone in the PS version, it probably is), but it's a serendipitous collection of glitches if so.

Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Keldulas posted:

For the alternate car ending, Lotte's living/dead status doesn't matter?

Edit: Or at least discovering it. It honestly does feel like one of the more sensible ways things could end since if she discovered all her friends were dead and had a car to get out, yeah, don't look back sort of thing.
Yeah, as far as I can tell you don't need to see Lotte's status to control that ending; it might be that there's just no way to save Lotte or maybe normally finding Lotte isn't till much, much later in the game? Either way it surprised me to realize there was another ending involving getting away but still managing to fail completely.

Blenheim posted:

Apparently, though I've never done it myself, you can get a tenth "ending" where Jen escapes in the car with no consequences. It involves using the SFC version and visiting the pool first - where, evidently, there is a chance that Ann's drowning death will not occur. In this event, you can go and use the car, which will then trigger the credits but neither of the bad epilogues. (The ending is not listed on the endings list; it also might be noted that the credits are the "standard" credits and not the car-ending credits with the little car graphic.)

Whether this is all a glitch is unknown (and since it seems to be gone in the PS version, it probably is), but it's a serendipitous collection of glitches if so.

Thanks for the LP!
You know, I wouldn't be surprised that that glitch might still be in the PS1 version but yeah, it doesn't really sound like a legit ending. Still I want to say that the description you list shows the weird criteria necessary sometimes to get an ending. Such as in the case of the secondary run through video, Lotte is super necessary to what's going on but so is getting the info from the cannibal. The problem is that getting to the cannibal the 'easy' way will lead to Lotte getting shot, but there is another means to get in there. To do that you'll need to get into the phone room before a certain point in the game and Ms. Mary will be in there. Instead of stabbing you, she'll give you a poison drink...but that still leads to the problem of Lotte saving you and getting blasted. So then that leads me to the mysterious 'Iron Key'; now while I didn't show it off there's a very odd key you can find via a roundabout method. First thing is that Laura has to be the one to die at the start, because then you have to make sure and see Ann get pushed out of the 2nd floor window. After that you head to the study to find the window shattered from where Ann was pushed and that someone has left behind a torch. With that torch, you then head to the non-mural library and check the hole in the back of the room with the torch. Now you'll have the iron key which is used for, of all things, unlocking the cage that Mr. Burroughs is trapped in. The thing is that you can't use it from the outside and having to get captured to use it from the inside before Lotte comes....or you can just not be an idiot like me and make sure to read that single stupid book in the mural library. And yes, I had to find all this stuff out gradually through trial and error.

Oh yeah, and you can give Mr. Burroughs the ham outside of the cage but guess what? That apparently doesn't count as getting the information and will lead to the bad ending where Scissorman immediately kills you in the elevator. gently caress, that was fun to figure out after four or five attempts.

Drakenel posted:

Thanks for showing this off, nigguarth. I've seen it before, but its nice to hear you go over it.

Another one I wouldn't mind seeing you play is Uninvited. Several versions but I can't recall which one is better.
I can tell you right now that Uninvited and Shadowgate and that one detective game with the guy with amnesia are a bit too, too frustrating for my tastes.

Hel posted:

That's actually some pretty nice variation in endings, especially for a SNES game, Thank you for showing this off.
I've heard about Echo Night Beyond so put me down as voting for it's predecessor.
So was there any ending you preferred over another? I personally really enjoyed being able to run to the outside of the Clock Tower and having that final scuffle with Ms. Mary on the ladder, especially so considering you always see a glimpse of that ladder at the very end but it never seems to have a point.

• Locked thread