Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We've all been scared by something or other when we were younger. E.T. Watership Down, Dumbo, anything's fair game here.

When I was in Elementary school [cannot remember a specific age but I know I was younger than ten] I had a nightmare because of the part of The Black Cauldron where it started peeling the skin off the lich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I was convinced a vampire lived in my toilet and was scared to poop with the lights off :(

Black Cauldron is still a terrifying movie.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when I was a kid I had nightmares about the brave little toaster scene where they're gonna get crushed by the garbage compactor

it's hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bomrek posted:

I was convinced a vampire lived in my toilet and was scared to poop with the lights off :(

are you Indian?

just poo poo in the streets

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I was scared of the dark and ghosts, the usual stuff. But I had to deal with them in irrational and unique ways. For example, if I were sleeping under the blanket in a room with no fan on and I was getting overheated, then too bad. I was too afraid of even having my toes stick out of the blanket to cool off, yet somehow anything above the shoulders is fine. I guess I'm staring at the ceiling all night.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Being touched by a Cane Toad.

This is somewhat of a lie, I still really loving hate Cane Toads but now I wear jeans and boots in toad season so it's not as scary.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Being touched by a Cane Toad.

This is somewhat of a lie, I still really loving hate Cane Toads but now I wear jeans and boots in toad season so it's not as scary.

My mother used to have to go to an outside toilet and stand on cane toads on the way when she was a kid. Or at least I have been given to understand the standing on cane toads was an essential part of the process.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid my parents told me if a tick ever bit me, I had to be super careful when I removed it, because the head would pop off and keep drinking. So I had this horrible image of a tiny black head in my skin and a blood fountain just spraying out. Later they amended that to "the tick head will survive IN your veins." So now the fountain was spraying inside my arm. Neither things were good and might explain why I had a huge phobia of parasites. To the point if I felt something on me that wasn't precisely skin, I'd tear it off. Including scabs because they felt like they COULD be ticks. Clearly if I ripped them off fast the head couldn't attach.

Similar with ticks, the rumor that mealworms (common reptile food) could survive as heads and could eat their way out of lizard stomachs. So even touching a mealworm meant a panic attack.

Oddly enough after dealing with the fuckers for a while that fear went away. Probably because I saw them turn into beetles, and raised them mostly on oatmeal and baby cereal, so clearly they weren't as carnivorous as the drat story said.

I remember the morning of 9-11, and for some reason all I could think of was The Handmaid's Tale, and the assumption it was coming true. Like, first the WTC fell, then the bad guys (whoever they were) would take over and turn the entire USA into Gilead. That was probably because I had watched the movie shortly beforehand though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'd hate walking through a dark room late at night as a kid trying to get a midnight snack because I'd be afraid that a grue or some other demonic murdery shadow creature would leap out from the darkness to try and kill me. :ohdear:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

slinkimalinki posted:

My mother used to have to go to an outside toilet and stand on cane toads on the way when she was a kid. Or at least I have been given to understand the standing on cane toads was an essential part of the process.

Well my jeans and boots strat means toads cant stick and get squished.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'd hate walking through a dark room late at night as a kid trying to get a midnight snack because I'd be afraid that a grue or some other demonic murdery shadow creature would leap out from the darkness to try and kill me. :ohdear:

Yeah, same. I remember spending a lot of nights while I was younger than nine running to my bed and leaping onto it after turning the lights off. Also wasn't helping that I could see my closet and how it always seemed half open.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, same. I remember spending a lot of nights while I was younger than nine running to my bed and leaping onto it after turning the lights off. Also wasn't helping that I could see my closet and how it always seemed half open.

What's kind of weird for me is that I don't remember ever being afraid of the dark in my own bedroom, just walking through the living room or a hallway that was pitch black. Maybe it was because I could keep my bedroom secure but a random hallway is where the grue could hide and lie in wait for me?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What's kind of weird for me is that I don't remember ever being afraid of the dark in my own bedroom, just walking through the living room or a hallway that was pitch black. Maybe it was because I could keep my bedroom secure but a random hallway is where the grue could hide and lie in wait for me?

It was the Boogeyman and monsters under the bed for me.

My mom fixed this by taking some air freshener and gluing some little arts and crafts things like those little flower sponges and wrapping it up to rename it 'Anti-Monster Spray' :3:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I used to be terrified of electricity pylons to the point of having screaming fits when passing them because of this advert.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

This took way more googling to find than I would have thought. This tiny picture was all I could find.

When I was probably 5 or 6 these creepy assholes were all over my hometown. There were a few at the park and at the elementary school playground, always at the edge of the woods, staring at the kids. I was convinced that they moved around at night, and that if you opened the hatch on the back, they'd be full of bones.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Wheelers from Return to Oz. I know everyone picks them, but they really did ruin my childhood.

Going anywhere near a train scared the poo poo out of me. In the 80s there seemed to be a huge push towards railway safety in the UK, and they'd show dodgy retro films like this at school: https://youtu.be/WxXDw3WOGQs

I'll never take a shortcut across a railway. I swear!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The eel from Super Mario 64. It made me terrified of 3D games for a shameful amount of years. Super Mario 64 also made me afraid of when the camera clips out of bounds and you see the nothingness behind. Even now I get the willies when it happens.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paj43J0pi4s

When I was like four I was utterly terrified of the goddamn aitchers thanks to this segment.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

When I was 8, my grandpa took me to Ernest: Scared Stupid.

I begged him to let me leave. Begged him.

But he wouldn't; and I couldn't sleep at all for the next 2 weeks, and not without the overhead light on for a year.

Lost a year of my life to those goddamn trolls.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
So, who remembers The Mummy? Y'know, that family film where the beetles burrow into a man's flesh and you can see them travel up his arms and into his head and devouring his brain?

Yeah I scared myself awake a bunch of times thanks to that.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

UWBW posted:

So, who remembers The Mummy? Y'know, that family film where the beetles burrow into a man's flesh and you can see them travel up his arms and into his head and devouring his brain?

Oh poo poo yeah, that was hosed up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UWBW posted:

Oh Christ. Yeah. that'd certainly freak a kid out alright.

Is there a better way to keep track of threads you've made besides having to star them that I don't know about?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was terrified of Chucky and the car from Christine as a kid.

I also, somehow, remember having a nightmare that my mom was going to swell up and explode, and I had to be walked to my parents bed and be shown that she was fine.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Shower curtains that were open so they stretch wall to wall in the bathroom.

just thinking there could be a monster on the otherside unless I move them to the side :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Roro posted:

The eel from Super Mario 64. It made me terrified of 3D games for a shameful amount of years. Super Mario 64 also made me afraid of when the camera clips out of bounds and you see the nothingness behind. Even now I get the willies when it happens.

I was also afraid of it, and any other giant monster in video games because I was always afraid they would eat my character.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Network Pesci posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paj43J0pi4s

When I was like four I was utterly terrified of the goddamn aitchers thanks to this segment.

This poo poo is fuckin hilarious

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

As a kid I found the Cookie Monster terrifying. I was afraid I'd get bitten during one of his more reckless cookie eating sprees. Which is not to say that I encountered Cookie Monster in real life on any occasion, but that's kid logic.

More in the realm of childhood background anxieties rather than fears: I was certain that both the Bermuda Triangle and quicksand would play a more central role in the hazards of everyday life. As it turns out neither of them were imminent threats to a child growing up in Tennessee.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Captain Lavender posted:

Lost a year of my life to those goddamn trolls.
Same. She turns around in bed and the troll is just there, that was hosed up.

My mom denies it to this day but I distinctly remember her telling me once that if I continued to misbehave the man in the basement would come up to get me. Jesus Christ, mom.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Roro posted:

Just don't forget your QPUs and half A-presses, and you're golden.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Roro posted:

The eel was scary, but what scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid was the first boss of Ocarina of Time. You walk into the room and just hear this rustling sound, and the only way to make the boss fight start was to look up at the ceiling at its loving eye as it waited up there to jump down on you. I was always a jumpy kid and hated hide-and-seek because I was convinced the whole time that people were going to jump out and scare me (thanks, older sisters) so I just couldn't handle that fight. I had to leave the room, get my mom to start the fight, pause, and then call me in so I could actually kill the spider. :shobon:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Electricity. I was shocked by a bad light fixture when I was three, and the great fear of even plugging or unplugging an electrical cord stuck with me for a few years until I got over it.

Pool drains. I loving loved swimming and could have been part mer-man if those goddamned pool drains weren't so sinister looking, waiting to suck me to the bottom and drown me.

Also, loving Gmork. The music still ends shivers down my spine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOPAW7Em8mE

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Riding in a paternoster in the Czech Republic a couple of years after the fall of communism was a loving harrowing experience that left seven year old me with nightmares for weeks.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Alris posted:

Riding in a paternoster in the Czech Republic a couple of years after the fall of communism was a loving harrowing experience that left seven year old me with nightmares for weeks.

I had no idea what that was, so I looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3Fc_yG3p0

I'm terrified of that thing now.

nael has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Feb 4, 2016

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i was a very reputable and widely known kid. Really popular even with the rich families. My biggest fear was every horror movie monster lining up next to my bed out the door into the hall as far as the eye could see. Every night a mummy, wolfman, ghost, amityville horror, swamp thing, burglar, spook, banshee, dead guy, cenobite, terrorist, etc. would stand in line for their chance to scare me while I was in bed with my eyes closed. The catch was that they couldn't show up if I was laying in bed spouting profanity because a curse is a curse.

mundane haircut
May 3, 2007

"I am a couch. I am a couch. I am a couch."
Ultra Carp
I guess I watched too many space documentaries as a kid because I was terrified of comets/asteroids/meteors and the idea that one would wipe out the human race. One day I learnt that Jupiter sort of protected Earth by drawing away lots of comets, so every night before I went to sleep I would send a prayer of thanks to the planet Jupiter, certain that if I didn't, we'd all be doomed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I was scared of the dark, specifically that after I turned my lights off but before I got to bed a dried up corpse might appear in it.

I blame Otzi the iceman.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

when I was a kid I had nightmares about the brave little toaster scene where they're gonna get crushed by the garbage compactor

it's hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

There was no part of this movie that wasn't terrifying. Watership Down had a lighter tone to it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nael posted:

I had no idea what that was, so I looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3Fc_yG3p0

I'm terrified of that thing now.

Ok seriously what the gently caress. That's designed specifically to kill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Elevators.

I was told "you will die" "the elevator will fall" "you'll get stuck in the door" "the elevator will stop and you won't be able to get out" and similar. Living in Russia with elevators that constantly broke so this was pretty true but also people who told me this thought it was *funny* to scare the kid by saying this stuff.

I still am afraid to get into elevators but luckily living in a tall building helps, but I still get nervous to get into elevators, especially if they're old ones.

• Locked thread