Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have an appletv

it's the third gen, had it about two years now.

it was amazing

now it's a piece of poo poo

freezes, random reboots, slow

I have another third gen appletv. it is amazing.

I have and iPod touch 4(?), iPhone 4s with buttons that don't work.

it iphone4s a phone I got only a few years ago at considerable cost is pretty much useless. I gave it to some unpaid intern and he now thinks I'm the greatest person ever until he actually has to use the loving thing.

gently caress you, Apple [tv].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have a MacBook.

It was awesome.

Then the video card hosed out and the bottom started peeling away from the metal and I was all like what the gently caress and Apple fixed it

Then my daughter poured just one cup of my wife's coffee into the keyboard and now it won't work.

What the gently caress Apple

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
pity reply from an irrelevant white noise poster

My macbook pro is on its 6th logic board since 2011 and they still won't replace it. I've talked to a bunch of people on the phone about it and over the years they've gone from saying it's not a known issue and this is a random occurrence, to now more recently saying it's a known issue and thats what the extended warranty is for.

On one of my trips to the apple store I was told verbatim by an employee handling my poo poo that "nobody should expect a laptop to last more than 3 or 4 years" aaaaaaaaah!!!!

I'm gonna smother this retarded aluminum computing abortion one more time before the extended warranty is up in 2 weeks. might as well get a fresh refurbished logic board

Also apple tvs own sorry you suck and didnt buy a bunch when they were in their second generation and you could put kodi on them.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

no one should expect their Apple TV to last more than 3 years

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

my 5s keeps blue-screening and crashing repeatedly. please send help

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i've been using my thinkpad for 6 years and nothing's broken on it yet except me wearing out several keyboards and breaking the corner off by dropping it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
the iphone bends

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I had an original C2D blackbook and it went for around 7 years before the power unit for the display started loving out after a couple hours use and the HDD got slow as fuk.

I replaced it with a OG 15" rMBP which I believe is now in its 4th year of service to me and has been hauled all over the show and used in pit garages and race tracks and fields and photo studios and parties and all sorts of poo poo and it's still goin mad strong. What a trooper.

I have a 2010 mac mini that goes ok for running a projector for movies and youtube and also spotify/soundcloud, but sometimes it turns off and won't turn back on until I unplug it from the wall for 10 mins.

My iP4 went for 3 years before being hosed for usability by software updates, my gold 5s smashed when I dropped it a month before the 6s came out. I replaced the front with a black faceplate and gave it to my flatmate who had a 5. Gold 6s is going p.good so far.

Overall can't really complain.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
two of the little rubber pads on the bottom of my mbp fell off :(

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
the superdrive in my imac died at some point but i keep forgetting about that cause why should i use optical storage

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my iphone 6 is so big that i can't reach the whole screen with my thumb. broken by design.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
so, everything?

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my phone is so big i switched to 5s after two years of denial. ship the 5/se timb

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The SSD in my MacBook Pro died.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

emoji posted:

The SSD in my MacBook Pro died.

Same but Macbook Air. Apple replaced it for free.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ios was hopelessly broken by poor design enabled by inept leadership

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

dropped my ipod and it broke

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
is this thread only for hardware? because Finder is and always has been a huge piece of poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
looking forward to ios 10 making iphone 5 unusable while my nexus 4 runs fine on android 7.0

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

never had any problems with my Apple stuff so I can't post here sorry

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the hdd drive in my old macbook pro died

apple store replaced it with one twice as large :getin:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer toucher posted:

never had any problems with my Apple stuff so I can't post here sorry

the thread title says no trolling

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
my apple ceo died of cancer :(

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Apple can't even get living to the national life expectancy right

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my old 4s that i gave to my gf is a piece of poo poo, bluetooth broke a few months out of warranty, it can't keep a charge even with a new battery, videos on facebook links don't work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
after using Windows since 95 then using a Mac I can honestly say finder is poo poo

at least explorer knows it's a file system
browser and doesn't pretend it's not

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
see it's good that finder is dog poo poo, because you're not supposed to be able to use the file system in osx.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Tiny Bug Child posted:

see it's good that finder is dog poo poo, because you're not supposed to be able to use the file system in osx.

thread title says no trolling, mods ban this sick gently caress please

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Blackula69 posted:

thread title says no trolling, mods ban this sick gently caress please

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my MacBook is the one with the plastic case that shreds into ribbons also the Ethernet chip overheats. and a roommate spilled orange soda on it once so I've had to replace the keyboard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wife has a MacBook Air

it's pretty good but also half the time it's like "how do we do (normal thing on Windows)?"
and if you're lucky it's possible

it always feels so black box to me. I have no idea often where anything is saved or if it's backed up on the iCloud or who knows. if something grows wrong you're just gently caress out of luck

I get the appeal and I'm being reasonable but I really just happy for my wife to use it an I avoid it as much as possible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an old white macbook that would shut down randomly and after 3 trips to the repair depot they released a firmware update that fixed it and that's the only flaky piece of apple stuff I've ever owned

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

I get the appeal and I'm being reasonable but I really just happy for my wife to use it an I avoid it as much as possible

dont post about muh dilz :smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the optical drive on my MacBook hosed out for no reason [disc goes in, then pops out much like my dilz] so I bought an apple external optical rather than paying a poo poo tonne of my cold hard well earned cash to fix another Apple hardware gently caress up and wouldn't you know

Apple laptops are designed not to take external optical drives by default. you have to gently caress around with plists and poo poo to make it work.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
whitebook died due to "logic board failure"

mbp died due to "logic board failure"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
both the thunderbolt ports on my murdered out $999 mac mini at work are now broken. the second one broke just this morning.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

the optical drive on my MacBook hosed out for no reason [disc goes in, then pops out much like my dilz] so I bought an apple external optical rather than paying a poo poo tonne of my cold hard well earned cash to fix another Apple hardware gently caress up and wouldn't you know

Apple laptops are designed not to take external optical drives by default. you have to gently caress around with plists and poo poo to make it work.

Nice linux

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Launch services is broken on all macs we received this round, had to use some command line fuckery to "reset" the service so that anything could register custom URL handlers

E.g. Casper self service.app

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
here we go:

1. i had a powerbook g4 in 2004 when i started freshman year of college. after 3-4 months of moving it from my desk maybe 4 times total, the power cable frayed at the connector and started smoking in my dorm room

2. i've owned 3 macs: 2004 powerbook g4 15", 2009 mac mini, 2009 mbp. all 3 of them had super drives that failed. one of them even had a replacement die

3. both the hard drive and the ac/dc daughterboard broke on that powerbook g4

4. the trackpad on my wife's macbook doesn't work anymore

5. my favorite one: i had a 3gs when they came out, then a 4s, then i switched to a moto x (which i ended up replacing a year later by buying an iphone 5 from a friend). when changing from the 4s to the moto x, i cleared out iMessage/iCloud settings from my phone. after moving to the moto x, i couldn't get any texts from people who had iPhones because their phones still thought i had iMessage. i called apple 4 times, every time they passed me around from person to person (at least 3 people every call) and everyone said my number/apple id wasn't in the iMessage system so there's no reason why peoples' phones should still be trying to send me iMessages. eventually i found some weird thing on the apple support forums and did something else to fix something. i'm convinced that apple didn't know that occasionally their devices should update a cache on "hey does this friend still have iMessage".

5a. apple's solution was "tell all of your contacts with iMessage to delete their chats with you from their phone and then try to send you a new message" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

mine worked fine with a lucky goldstar external drive, up until I scrounged a superdrive

• Locked thread