Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shrinkage:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sonic and Dollar General are the only things keeping people in the boonies from actually starving to death

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Biplane posted:

Shrinkage:qq:

COVID-19 :qq:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My billions in profi- I mean, no one wants to work anymore:qq:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As the ship slipped beneath the water, the captain muttered “Regulations! beneath his breath

as he motored away in his personal life boat, as the crew cried out for help from the frigid waters

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Professor Shark posted:

As the ship slipped beneath the water, the captain muttered “Regulations! beneath his breath

as he motored away in his personal life boat, as the crew cried out for help from the frigid waters

Pretty much what happened to a small bunch of restaurants around here that were owned by one guy. Most of them suddenly mysteriously closed overnight, with the rest following soon after. There's a small local museum which has a newspaper from the time because it has an article about the museum on the front page, but it shares space with an article about it where this guy is bitching that it was "regulations!" and "minimum wage!" that "forced" him under, which is how I found out he had made these claims.

This was his second time getting caught for tax evasion and the restaurants got metaphorically burned down to save his rear end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

disposablewords posted:

Pretty much what happened to a small bunch of restaurants around here that were owned by one guy. Most of them suddenly mysteriously closed overnight, with the rest following soon after. There's a small local museum which has a newspaper from the time because it has an article about the museum on the front page, but it shares space with an article about it where this guy is bitching that it was "regulations!" and "minimum wage!" that "forced" him under, which is how I found out he had made these claims.

This was his second time getting caught for tax evasion and the restaurants got metaphorically burned down to save his rear end.

Sounds like he was too lazy to actually burn down his restaurants for the insurance money. Typical business owner, never wants to put in any effort!!

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
There used to be a dollar store near me with giant letters out front saying "EVERY ITEM 99 CENTS AND UP" and I'm still loving pissed off about how meaningless a price FLOOR is in that context. I can go to loving shoprite and find some random poo poo for like a nickel, so should they put up a sign saying "EVERY ITEM 5 CENTS AND UP"?

I've probably posted about this on SA before because I am legitimately loving wound up about this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
As soon as someone screams "regulations," I think "protections, right?"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you switch to our product, you can save up to 40% or more per year!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

If you switch to our product, you can save up to 40% or more per year!

UP TO 40% OFF!!! selected items (there are three of these (and we cannot move them so any that aren't sold go in the dumpster), everything else is normal price (or marked up and then given a :airquote:discount:airquote:) ) )

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Verus posted:

There used to be a dollar store near me with giant letters out front saying "EVERY ITEM 99 CENTS AND UP" and I'm still loving pissed off about how meaningless a price FLOOR is in that context. I can go to loving shoprite and find some random poo poo for like a nickel, so should they put up a sign saying "EVERY ITEM 5 CENTS AND UP"?

I've probably posted about this on SA before because I am legitimately loving wound up about this.

That reminds me of the time when I worked in a grocery store in high school and had a lady throw a screaming tantrum over two 5 cent cans of potted meat (think off-brand spam, but worse.)

See, she couldn't find them in her bags when she went out to her car, and blamed the bagger at the time, who was certain that she had bagged the potted meat and that the customer must have dropped them or just missed them in her bags (they were pretty small!)

The punchline of this whole story is that, while I was the scheduled bagger for the day, I was out collecting carts in the parking lot when this happened. The person who bagged the order was the manager on duty. I actually got to witness the "I want to speak with your manager!" "You are." moment as I came back into the store after finishing up. The customer did not get the requested refund.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volmarias posted:

(or marked up and then given a :airquote:discount:airquote:)

Harbor Freight and some other retailers caught federal poo poo for that a while back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Log082 posted:

That reminds me of the time when I worked in a grocery store in high school and had a lady throw a screaming tantrum over two 5 cent cans of potted meat (think off-brand spam, but worse.)

See, she couldn't find them in her bags when she went out to her car, and blamed the bagger at the time, who was certain that she had bagged the potted meat and that the customer must have dropped them or just missed them in her bags (they were pretty small!)

The punchline of this whole story is that, while I was the scheduled bagger for the day, I was out collecting carts in the parking lot when this happened. The person who bagged the order was the manager on duty. I actually got to witness the "I want to speak with your manager!" "You are." moment as I came back into the store after finishing up. The customer did not get the requested refund.

one of the few slam dunks when i worked gift shop at a zoo, that was owned by one dude (no not Tiger King), was that he would go around and be the stand-in for people's lunches, or his assistant would be. so one busy day he's in the gift shop/entry covering, and i had just rang out a lady for tickets, and told her she could not bring her food into the zoo; there were huge signs all over about this. baby food, fine. but family size bags of Doritos, no. Bags of McDonalds, no. An entire loving KFC Family Pack with kids already tossing bits of rolls to the ducks in the front ponds? No.

Policy was you eat outside, but if you've already paid, we stamp your hand to get you back in.

food always ended up being given to the animals, so it was a firm no outside food policy. The lady started with the usual BS about it being for her baby/the kids need it and then went fast to screaming for my manager. I brought her over, manager said the same thing. She demands to speak to her manager now!

The owner comes over and gets the story, and calmly tells the woman no outside food, it's on every window, she can come back in after they've eaten. Customer naturally reaches for what always works: "I want to talk to YOUR manager!"

My manager says, "Mam, this man owns the zoo."

This made the lady go silent for maybe 10 seconds before she started screaming she would call the local news about this. To which the owner reached into his pocket, and gave her the business cards for several of the local news stations so she wouldn't need to look them up, and told her to go ahead, the news people loved coming out to the zoo for free.

Lady stormed off. I don't remember if she ever got a refund.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

Sonic and Dollar General are the only things keeping people in the boonies from actually starving to death

So Knuckles and Tails aren't doing poo poo?

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Agents are GO! posted:

So Knuckles and Tails aren't doing poo poo?

Tails is a Social Darwinist

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Almost a few days after Dollar tree announced they were going to raise prices and start selling items at $10 or so, and probably have nothing left at a dollar or under, the $0.99. only store is totally closing down all stores. Over 300 stores. And of course they site covid and raising of the minimum wage is why, and not the fact that 90% of their merchandise can be found at Walmart for cheaper. So no one goes to the $0.99/ dollar store expecting to pay grocery store prices.

I'm sure I'm not the typical consumer but I liked 99c Stores not because they were cheap necessarily but because you could often find strange/discontinued/imported stuff that's simply not available anywhere else. I guess Grocery Outlet will have to fill that void for now...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

amaguri posted:

I'm sure I'm not the typical consumer but I liked 99c Stores not because they were cheap necessarily but because you could often find strange/discontinued/imported stuff that's simply not available anywhere else. I guess Grocery Outlet will have to fill that void for now...

Well you aren’t alone

https://lamag.com/news/investor-group-looks-to-save-the-99-cents-only-stores-in-southern-california

quote:

Investor Group Looks to Save the 99 Cents Only Stores in Southern California
Former CEO of Pic ‘N’ Save wants stores to get back to their SoCal ‘treasure hunt’ roots

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember Pic and Save as a kid, and it was rebranded as McFrugals or something stupid?

I remember working in a copy center, and every month there was an item we were pushed to sell at the register. Most times it was something stupid, like a $20 flash drive. I tried to explain to my boss that no one is making a loving impulse purchase of a 5GB flash drive for that kind of money. He retorted that studies show people will buy anything if presented right. Maybe so, but if someone is paying $4 for a loving fax, they aren't dropping $20 on a flash drive you can get cheaper anywhere else!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think it says a lot about the mindset of "I want to speak to the manager" people that they can't fathom anyone with authority stooping to doing menial work.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I have definitely pulled the “you would like to speak to the manager? Ok, I’ll go get him”, gone in the back for thirty seconds, then walked back out all “hello, what can I do for you?”

(Yes, I was actually the manager in every situation)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wowwee you’re so cool.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Not as cool as someone who makes one-line zinger shitposts. :colbert:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
:sissies:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Harbor Freight and some other retailers caught federal poo poo for that a while back.

... Isn't this Kohl's entire business model?

E: just looked at a synopsis. I'm amazed, the case was that they provided a "compare to' price that was an inflated value, so they got in trouble because they implied that competitors were expensive, not for marking up and discounting.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

... Isn't this Kohl's entire business model?

Kohl's business model is to have cheap poo poo on the shelves with high prices, then "discount" half the store every week and hope they can trick you into buying one or two non-discount items so they can make a ton of money in one shot. Their discounts bring products to less than MSRP, but only just, so they still make good money on it.

Oh and they also have "Kohl's Cash" which is basically a gatcha game except in real life. Sometimes you get more Kohl's Cash for shopping on certain days or buying certain items, and Kohl's Cash is worth more on certain days (not the same days, mind). It's an elaborate game to keep them top-of-mind and get people who are addicted to the game into the store much more frequently than they otherwise would.

It amazes me, my mom and several of my exes are Kohl's devotees, and while they do save a little bit over online shopping they also tend to spend a ton of money at Kohl's to play the game, and they don't recognize that they're in a trap.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

... So, yes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Kohl's business model is to have cheap poo poo on the shelves with high prices, then "discount" half the store every week and hope they can trick you into buying one or two non-discount items so they can make a ton of money in one shot. Their discounts bring products to less than MSRP, but only just, so they still make good money on it.

Hazard Frought tools did something similar, but legally different, they had a Carpenter's Dreidel whose actual price was $10, and if you go into the store it's always $10. Except on the monthly sale flyer, wherein it was lisr price of $20, discounted to $9.99, what a bargain! Turns out, that's illegal!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Factschaser/status/1782247551896269052

No proof yet but if this pans out it's going to be a bad time at Tesla.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/Factschaser/status/1782247551896269052

No proof yet but if this pans out it's going to be a bad time at Tesla.

Doesn't some agency get really pissed at anyone messing with odometers?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s me posting the tweets by the guy named Fact Chaser whose profile warns you about his “controversial” tweets

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's musk's key demographic, if he's losing them it's a bad sign

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Embracer just dumped nearly a billion in debt onto Asmodee and spun it off to die and take all the debt with it.

Anyone want to buy the IP to a whole bunch of old board games?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Comstar posted:

Embracer just dumped nearly a billion in debt onto Asmodee and spun it off to die and take all the debt with it.

Cool. According to one guy on bgg:

quote:

For those who haven't been keeping track of this inside baseball:

Embracer gobbled up as much stuff as it could, and some of those companies were companies that had already gobbled up as much stuff as they could (e.g. Asmodee). They did this while interest rates were low, so they could keep taking on loads of debt.

Their grand play was to get an additional $2 billion investment from the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund (a fund that determines where they park their massive wads of cash to make a return). This fund had already invested a $1 billion in Embracer, which helped fund its acquisition spree.

This left them $2 billion in debt, and their stock dropped 40% immediately afterwards. Hence their selling off parts of their empire to try to fund paying off all that debt.

Same ol' story of just acquisition and financial creativity, then sorta just shrugging before the looting starts. Forgot what they called it on The Sopranos.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Apr 23, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

Not just board games. All tabletop Star Wars games (Shatterpoint, Legion, X-Wing, Armada) plus Marvel’s Crisis Protocol, plus Settlers of Catan, plus a ton of other board games.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

doctorfrog posted:

Same ol' story of just acquisition and financial creativity, then sorta just shrugging before the looting starts. Forgot what they called it on The Sopranos.

A bust out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1782823975644709064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

doctorfrog posted:

Tons and tons of people have lost their jobs because one rear end in a top hat at Embracer had no backup plan if the Saudis didn't bail them out

Of course that man is still employed