Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

The thread is now insults circling the drain.

Look at this gadabout, he's all hat and no cattle.

Excuse me that's an offensive reference to cowboy colonisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Groovelord Neato posted:

When I tell Ben Shapiro his brain is smoother than a neutron star I'm not substituting that for a slur.

Should have gone with "smoother than a shark", which are a level above.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Weatherman posted:

Should have gone with "smoother than a shark", which are a level above.

That would imply coolness though, something that is generally not found in the vicinity of Ben Shapiro.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Biplane posted:

That would imply coolness though, something that is generally not found in the vicinity of Ben Shapiro.

Ben Shapiro's wife is famously cool and dry, as he's never made her hot and wet.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Excuse me that's an offensive reference to cowboy colonisers

Cowboys were overwhelmingly native Mexicans and black people, so actually...

I always thought smooth brained was related to the old folkwisdom that the more wrinkles your brain had- the more thinking you did- the smarter you were. Didn't know there was an actual condition with that outcome.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

steinrokkan posted:

The word buttface is actually linked to a rare medical disorder called annuscephaly, which causes many terrible ailments aside from the social stigma caused by making GBS threads and farting out of your face, remember the casual cruelty of the term before using it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i am offended on behalf of the annucephalants

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Someone please just tell me the word to use when I want to suggest that someone is about as smart as a piece of cheese, post digestion.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Volmarias posted:

Someone please just tell me the word to use when I want to suggest that someone is about as smart as a piece of cheese, post digestion.

Cheesehead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Volmarias posted:

“Presidential”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Karen" is basically interchangeable with calling a woman a "bitch" now. I'm not a fan of it.

https://whyy.org/articles/philadelphia-still-dumping-trash-with-recycling-frustrating-residents/

Okay now this story about trash pickup quotes two "Karens"

One "watched in shock as sanitation workers combined her trash and recycling onto one truck." and then she called 311 on those poor workers. Instead of trying to contact the Philadelphia Streets Department, which is in charge of trash pickup, she called the nonemergency emergency number to report something that she "watched in shock"

This is classic "I want to talk to your manager" behavior. It's a lack of feeling for the people on the ground who have to actually implement a directive that they have no agency in drafting. It's a lack of understanding that sometimes poo poo gets hosed up.

The other one doesn't even live in Philadelphia yet is very concerned about Philadelphia waste disposal practices. She's a busybody. Like somebody who peers out from between their venetian blinds, sure that the neighborhood kids are up to no good.

Both of them are Karens because they're affluent white ladies who believe somebody owes them an explanation. That their concerns must and will be catered to, because to them, that's how the World works. No consideration for the people they harm with their demands. That's what makes them Karens. It's weaponized privilege.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MarcusSA posted:

Sure is a lot of food being destroyed in that picture there.

I’m sure they are tossing food but not sure why this Twitter person couldn’t have like attached a video or something vs some random people standing around.

i know you instinctively want to defend your coworkers, but how about you don't.

https://twitter.com/udaniyadv/status/1362609922483974146

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Feb 19, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

that reads like a GAN generated news headline

and yet, we live in a society

:thunk:

bottom text

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hollywood Fred Meyer sounds like a lovely 70s wrestling territory heel

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

https://whyy.org/articles/philadelphia-still-dumping-trash-with-recycling-frustrating-residents/

Okay now this story about trash pickup quotes two "Karens"

One "watched in shock as sanitation workers combined her trash and recycling onto one truck." and then she called 311 on those poor workers. Instead of trying to contact the Philadelphia Streets Department, which is in charge of trash pickup, she called the nonemergency emergency number to report something that she "watched in shock"

This is classic "I want to talk to your manager" behavior. It's a lack of feeling for the people on the ground who have to actually implement a directive that they have no agency in drafting. It's a lack of understanding that sometimes poo poo gets hosed up.

The other one doesn't even live in Philadelphia yet is very concerned about Philadelphia waste disposal practices. She's a busybody. Like somebody who peers out from between their venetian blinds, sure that the neighborhood kids are up to no good.

Both of them are Karens because they're affluent white ladies who believe somebody owes them an explanation. That their concerns must and will be catered to, because to them, that's how the World works. No consideration for the people they harm with their demands. That's what makes them Karens. It's weaponized privilege.

there wolf posted:

Karens were white women using their privilege to harass black people, then they were entitled women, now they're just any woman being pushy about something regardless of context or motivation. As always, every pejorative targeted at women falls towards bitch eventually.

The point is that Karen is no longer being exclusively thrown at women weaponizing their privilege, and is now getting thrown at any woman someone thinks is being bossy, or uppity, or otherwise not a doormat. I'm sorry a useful term is getting spoiled by misogyny, but your anger should be with the people pissing in the pool instead of the ones pointing out that the water seems to be changing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what a dumbass derail

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

there wolf posted:

The point is that Karen is no longer being exclusively thrown at women weaponizing their privilege, and is now getting thrown at any woman someone thinks is being bossy, or uppity, or otherwise not a doormat. I'm sorry a useful term is getting spoiled by misogyny, but your anger should be with the people pissing in the pool instead of the ones pointing out that the water seems to be changing.

You may have come to perceive it differently, but it was always thus. The whole 'Karen' thing was not really a novel coinage, it bought into an already commonly recognised negative stereotype about (white) women.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess all those "actually Karen is the new n-word" op-eds actually worked, huh

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That’s obviously a dumb takeaway to anyone that doesn’t have “racist” in their rap sheet several times.

The phrase is frequently used as “woman I dislike” for misogynists who just want a cool acceptable way to attack women.

This isn’t to defend white women using their privilege to sic the police on minorities. It’s a criticism of misogynists who adopt it for their own purposes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I guess all those "actually Karen is the new n-word" op-eds actually worked, huh

Before that it was "Okay, Boomer." Someone's always trying to ruin our fun.

We should be saying "Thank you for your service, Boomer."

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

steinrokkan posted:

On SA, (I can't speak to Twitter--I don't have a Twitter account), Karen usually just means bitch.

I still can't get over how people will fall over themselves to claim that 'retarded' is a hateful slur, but will bend over backwards to defend their use of 'smooth-brained' (just look at posts earlier in this thread!) which is pretty nakedly a way to call someone retarded without using the 'r-word'. It even belittles people with birth defects/disabilities, like 'retarded'.

I don't want to ban any of these words from SA (I think probating people who are mean to other posters or people in broader society is ok, but moderators just being a word filter for naughty words is lazy and stupid), but the hypocrisy/wishful thinking/delusional thinking on this topic is astonishing to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So how is Sears doing?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So how is Sears doing?

Haven't checked in on it but it's absolutely my favorite "rich guy fucks up totally in hilarious ways because his skull is filled with marbles" story. People try to play it off like he didn't care and was doing the vulture capitalism thing (since he sold off the real estate to himself and then leased it back to Sears) but it's clear he thought his incredibly stupid plans would turn the company around. WeWork was a bigger fuckup but Sears will always top the list for me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this thread has always really been about sears

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven’t seen a lot of news period about retail closures since the beginning of the year. I don’t know if that means they aren’t happening because of better than expected Holiday sales or what.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sears might be doing okay. At some point you cut costs until you find some balance or just disappear altogether. They haven't disappeared yet, so...

It's privately held now so we probably won't know until they close all their stores. Kind of like Fry's.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

So how is Sears doing?

They're closing their last location in Louisiana, I read a couple of days ago.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sears' corporate HQ isn't a big skyscraper somewhere, it's this big sprawling building with a huge atrium and a bunch of 4-6 story wings coming off of it in the middle of suburbia. The last time I was there was several years ago, but the atrium roof and skylights were leaking so badly that there were big plastic wheeled dumpster things placed strategically throughout the building to catch the rancid water in several places, and had been for months.

drat amazing cafeteria, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

Sears' corporate HQ isn't a big skyscraper somewhere, it's this big sprawling building with a huge atrium and a bunch of 4-6 story wings coming off of it in the middle of suburbia. The last time I was there was several years ago, but the atrium roof and skylights were leaking so badly that there were big plastic wheeled dumpster things placed strategically throughout the building to catch the rancid water in several places, and had been for months.

Well at least their corporate HQ is consistent with the stores

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

So how is Sears doing?

They finally closed the last one in my area about two years ago (January 2019). On December 9, 2020, they started the demolition project to take out that Sears, the rest of the dead mall it was attached to (with the exception of the thriving Target), and the former Best Buy next door (which had long since moved into the nearby space vacated by Toys R Us). The plan is to turn the space into a modern mixed-use development.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I can't find any good pictures of it but it looks like they just made themselves a dead mall to live in: https://www.corporateofficeheadquarters.com/2011/02/sears-corporate-office-headquarters.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rick posted:

I can't find any good pictures of it but it looks like they just made themselves a dead mall to live in: https://www.corporateofficeheadquarters.com/2011/02/sears-corporate-office-headquarters.html

I appreciate that all of the comments are just people ranting about their horrible Sears purchases and experiences.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's privately held now so we probably won't know until they close all their stores. Kind of like Fry's.

Speak of the devil!
https://twitter.com/bill0004/status/1364407906192424964?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They lasted longer than I would have guessed

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Guessing the KO reflex helps there with ragdolling the right way, maybe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Frys.com is already dead.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

frys.com came back after half an hour. I managed to order a 100 pack of frys-branded AA batteries. You can now place bets on the following:

1) I never receive them and I pissed $30 down the drain as a novelty
2) I receive them and they're all flat
3) I receive them and they're all flat and have the sticker of death
4) I receive them and they work

If I do get them I'll probably split them up and mail them to fellow dead electronics store enthusiasts as souvenirs.

My guess is that they took it down to turn off the store pickup logic and will keep the site alive until outstanding orders are delivered so they don't get charged with fraud.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I say 4 but it's going to take weeks and weeks and weeks. Months maybe.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

what is "the sticker of death"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s odd that the chain limped along for so long and then closed so fast. But then again most stores have inventory to sell when they go bankrupt. Fry’s is all consignment now so I guess they call their suppliers and tell them to come pick up their poo poo.