Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Iron Crowned posted:

Then there was this guy I knew from church, who figured out that if you printed out passes instead of tickets, no one looked for the cash, so whenever there were groups of 4 or more, he'd just print passes, and add to the adding machine, in the box, and then just pocket whatever the total was at the end of the night. He got caught when someone tried to get a refund on some passes, they couldn't exactly prove that he was stealing, so they just did the passive aggressive stop scheduling thing.

Shame he was too naïve to know about constructive dismissal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

wankel13b posted:

I mixed up all this fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. And I never felt so bad in my entire life!

More amazing than the time Michael Jackson came over to your house to use the bathroom?

More amazing than the time you saved those old people from that nursing home fire, right?

Yeah, and I bet it was even more amazing than the time you ate your weight in Godfather's pizza.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh this brings back memories of working in an indie in my 20s.

kumba posted:

[*] Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows Part 2: We had a special thing we did for this where we booked midnight and 3am shows for opening night and showed the film in every auditorium we had - 14 different screens. However, we only got 4 copies of the film! In the projection business, this is handled by a process called "syncing"
"HEY cool projector-dude, what are all these rollers on the walls for?"
That's the interlock... we use it to play one print in multiple theatres
"Wow neat!"
The last time we used it was for.... Chicago.
*senior staff shudders

Iirc the regional manager was doing shifts leaf-blowering popcorn because it was just that busy.

My place was a run down 4plex. Decent enough but also the kind of place that was dead enough that you could get a handy in the back aisle of an auditorium playing Ladies in Lavender on a Wednesday.

* we had lucite letters for a marquee that worked by wedging the letters between an upper and lower guide track. . . 30 feet up in the air. Used a lovely fiberglass collapsible pole with a suction cup.
I loving hated Thursday nights because it was 45 minutes of getting that dumb suction cup to not drop letters on me.

* half the staff smoked and would gently caress off for a break the minute it looked like it was dead. I brought a PSP out once at the end of a set after I was done cleaning up the box office and the concessions. Jr. Manager came in with a look. At the end of the night he handed me a formal write-up for Unprofessional Conduct. Didn't sign it but did write "are we writing up half the staff for taking 30 minute smoke breaks every hour, too".

* March of the Penguins got handed to us one summer and it was loving awful. Kids and geriatrics lining up 45 minutes before opening every day.

* People would want refunds for Brokeback Mountain *right* at the point where Heath Ledger uses his spit for lube. It was awesome watching them get really uncomfortable with the refund reason.

* some 6'6 older guy would come in on weekends for the morning show, order two large sodas and a large popcorn and ask us to fill up his Whole Foods tote up with popcorn. He would sit in the back and just loving demolish the popcorn. He would come out with his slacks just smeared with popcorn particles and butter.

* Crazy Santa Guy was in his 60s, wore an eyepatch, had gnarly fingernails and one of those solid metal Black cards. Looked like a crazy hermit, tended to mumble, but was otherwise nice and kept to himself. Theatre Lore posited he was a university theoretical physicist who gazed into the unknown and went mad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPKGNCw7lM

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I worked at what I think was a general cinemas in like 1998. We were across the street from an AMC, and always got the competing movies. They had Ants, we had A Bug's Life. They had Armageddon, we had Deep Impact. Etc.
We popped popcorn weeks in advance and stuck it in giant plastic bags in the back. Popcorn bin runs low, grab a bag from the back and dump it in, it was heated.
The only person that worked there who was much over 20 was the general manager, so it was a whole ongoing shitshow. The theater got bought and turned into a hollywood boulevard later. SW suburbs of Chicago, if anyone else worked there.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

I do have a copy of the trailer for The Fellowship of the Ring somewhere

Actual film trailer? I would kill someone for that.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for this, it was an amazing watch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
For creepy customers, nothing much beat middle aged men who would go to Jonathon Taylor Thomas movies by themselves.

Silly Newbie posted:

We popped popcorn weeks in advance and stuck it in giant plastic bags in the back. Popcorn bin runs low, grab a bag from the back and dump it in, it was heated.

So that was corporate policy then. I never knew if it was just our location or if the whole company was that horrible.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

drat nearly half a mile in leader tape, I never got to do anything this cool

I always get very nostalgic seeing projectors in action, despite the pay being poo poo (unless you're the GM of a very well performing location) it was definitely my favorite job

Flaggy posted:

Actual film trailer? I would kill someone for that.

Yup, hasn't been played on screen in 20 years, I'll see if I can find it though I have no way to play it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

butt dickus posted:

at&t got me as a new customer by bringing symmetric gigabit fiber to my neighborhood for $60.74 per month after taxes and fees so they're ok in my book

They did that here, but only after decades of never upgrading anything. The only residential services offered until late 2017 were old-fashioned copper wire phone service, replete with extra fees for long distance, and IDSL, which was basically DSL that maxed out at ISDN speeds.

Likewise, back in the late 90s in my parents area, every surrounding cable system was quickly upgrading to bidirectional systems to offer cable internet, while our cable company, owned by AT&T and deceivingly called "AT&T Broadband", did absolutely nothing (except occasionally raise the price) and continued to do nothing until 2003 when Comcast took over and finally upgraded everything.

The_Franz has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Mar 9, 2021

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Krispy Wafer posted:

For creepy customers, nothing much beat middle aged men who would go to Jonathon Taylor Thomas movies by themselves.

I just took a quick glance at Wikipedia, and what the gently caress? That kid was 16 when he was in Wild America? I would have sworn he was 12 or 13 at the most.

edit: yes, this was one of my favorite movies when I was 4

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can't imagine that Discovery+ is doing too well.

I keep different Discovery channels on at home during the day and I have observed:

1. 99% of ads on their cable channels are promoting D+ (a hit to their cable ad revenue too)
2. They moved a few of their popular shows to be D+ exclusives to get more viewers to pay.
3. But people must not be watching them online because if you tune into when they used to be on you get giant ads telling you that the show moved (bigger than what they are actually showing)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Discovery+ really needs to be folded into Hulu or Peacock or something. They have a lot of stuff worth watching but the ads go on forever and they constantly change what is and is not available. I can’t tell you how many seasons of Deadliest Catch I’ve had to abandon after a few episodes because suddenly the rest of them are behind the paywall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I did the trial and they didn’t have a lot of back episodes of series from some networks like A&E

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Discovery+ is awesome. From a price to content value proposition it can't be beat. Not only does it have huge libraries from a half dozen channels, but it has a massive collection of the most bananas reality shows that were so weird they lasted barely a season. If you like 90 Day Fiancé (I do not) they have about 10k hours of content there alone. I mostly just watch BattleBots and Alton Brown.

From what I can tell they are aggressively moving content there as 'exclusive' as a 'gently caress you' to cable operators and hoping they can survive on everyone's $7 a month.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I did the trial and they didn’t have a lot of back episodes of series from some networks like A&E

Maybe they've updated something, because they seem to have years upon years of content. It took me 2 minutes to find the long searched for Gene Hackman episode of Diner's Drive-In's and Dives.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Food Network seemed to have the best backlog

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

However, in Canada, Discovery + isn't available due to Canadian rights fuckery. And as an extra gently caress you, they have said they will not air any new programs that are d+ exclusive like battlebots and Good Eats because well, gently caress you Canada that's why.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I mostly just watch BattleBots and Alton Brown.

I can't watch Alton any more after the poo poo he tweeted in November. I have a shirt I got from seeing him live and I haven't decided if I'm ever wearing again or should give it away.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

rydiafan posted:

I can't watch Alton any more after the poo poo he tweeted in November. I have a shirt I got from seeing him live and I haven't decided if I'm ever wearing again or should give it away.

What was that about? I lost a lot of respect for Alton brown after I read a section from one of his books where’s he’s talking up the frugal gourmet, Jeff smith. He wrote basically ‘I don’t care what the guy did in his personal life, he’s a great chef.’

What the frugal gourmet did was molest teenage boys

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Drunken election day tweets from a Republican.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If I'm remembering right, that was after the election but before we knew if Biden had really won and everyone was still freaking the gently caress out. I think Alton Brown may have been doomscrolling on Twitter too long.

I give chefs a little more leeway because they're assholes by default. Otherwise all we'll be left with is Guy Fieri, who as far as I can tell is pure happiness.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

If I'm remembering right, that was after the election but before we knew if Biden had really won and everyone was still freaking the gently caress out. I think Alton Brown may have been doomscrolling on Twitter too long.

I give chefs a little more leeway because they're assholes by default. Otherwise all we'll be left with is Guy Fieri, who as far as I can tell is pure happiness.

Alton Brown had a long series of alcohol+doom scrolling twitter rants that week. One of the cspam threads probably documented it well.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

After Declaring Bankruptcy Twice, RadioShack Plots Its Comeback

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/declaring-bankruptcy-twice-radioshack-comeback/

quote:

RadioShack, the legendary electronics retailer, found its name and assets snapped up in November by a company called Retail Ecommerce Ventures. REV has since combined RadioShack with other ghosts of retail’s past such as Pier 1 Imports, Linens ’n Things and DressBarn to harness the power of well-known brand names while also creating a diversified shopping destination.

“The ultimate objective here is really not reviving [the RadioShack] brand—it is to create a massive online shopping mall,” REV CEO Alex Mehr told Adweek. “Imagine the shopping malls that you and I grew up with. They had a lot of familiar brands, and the collective gravitational pulls brought people in. That’s what we’re creating.”

:thunk:

I'm thinking "dead mall but online". Is there really anything left to these brands? Is the draw here entirely "you can buy a bunch of things from one site, instead of different sites"?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So like a downmarket Skymall?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RadioShack's patented virtual tumbleweed system will make you feel like you've really arrived at your favorite childhood mall.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SO DEMANDING posted:

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/declaring-bankruptcy-twice-radioshack-comeback/

I'm thinking "dead mall but online". Is there really anything left to these brands? Is the draw here entirely "you can buy a bunch of things from one site, instead of different sites"?

Use the ghost of the brand for a site template that mostly goes to some common e-commerce drop shipping thingy and squeeze some value out from brand recognition.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

at this point i can't even tell if this is a sincere but delusional business model they actually think can work despite the existence of amazon, some kind of elaborate tax fuckery, or just a way to defraud gullible investors and venture capitalists with 9.7 billion dollars and nowhere to put it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SO DEMANDING posted:

I was so stoked by that headline, and incredibly let down by the content.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Stexils posted:

at this point i can't even tell if this is a sincere but delusional business model they actually think can work despite the existence of amazon, some kind of elaborate tax fuckery, or just a way to defraud gullible investors and venture capitalists with 9.7 billion dollars and nowhere to put it

Yeah that was my thoughts exactly. It just seems like an excuse to try to threaten Amazon in such a way that Amazon might buy them out to avoid any competition.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Krispy Wafer posted:

when fieri's times square restaurant got the clickbaity scathing review in the NYT fieri's response was basically "i couldn't care less if a critic wants to dunk on me, i can take it, but the crew of that place is just doing their job and working out the kinks of a new operation and it's kinda lovely to dunk on them for it"

our cruel world doesn't deserve fieri

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Some random companies also own the IP for Circuit City and even an old dead brand like Montgomery Ward, mainly just to see if they can sell you overpriced poo poo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

I'd rather shop at Zombie Fry's.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Zero One posted:

I can't imagine that Discovery+ is doing too well.

I keep different Discovery channels on at home during the day and I have observed:

1. 99% of ads on their cable channels are promoting D+ (a hit to their cable ad revenue too)
2. They moved a few of their popular shows to be D+ exclusives to get more viewers to pay.
3. But people must not be watching them online because if you tune into when they used to be on you get giant ads telling you that the show moved (bigger than what they are actually showing)

My mom got a Roku tv and the first thing she asked me to do was install discovery plus. She friggin lives it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Discovery + is really good. It’s also absolutely trash tv. But yeah, I’m fine with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

when fieri's times square restaurant got the clickbaity scathing review in the NYT fieri's response was basically "i couldn't care less if a critic wants to dunk on me, i can take it, but the crew of that place is just doing their job and working out the kinks of a new operation and it's kinda lovely to dunk on them for it"

Fieri fed victims of the 2017 Napa fires, and in confirming the date on that, I learned that he fed firefighters last year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Platystemon posted:

Fieri fed victims of the 2017 Napa fires, and in confirming the date on that, I learned that he fed firefighters last year.

Fieri is a fantastic human being but everyone wants to dunk on him just because he looks like a witch brought a stack of hot rod magazines to life.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I love that review please don't ruin it for me.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

8one6 posted:

Fieri is a fantastic human being but everyone wants to dunk on him just because he looks like a witch brought a stack of hot rod magazines to life.

Fieri has said before that he’s not a fan of his look, but it’s part of his brand now and the food network people won’t let him change it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I love that review please don't ruin it for me.

New york times is completely garbage, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

8one6 posted:

Queer Eye For The Straight Guy crossover event. They give him a hair cut that doesn't have frosted tips and he takes them for some seriously good diner food. Then I assume a bunch of humanitarian awards.