Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Stexils posted:

the guy who wrote hollywood book "save the cat" about The Rules for screenplays only ever made two terrible films, neither of which you've ever heard of: stop! or my mom will shoot, and blank check

Read a thing this morning about that whole ecosystem of meta-content-creators: people who aren't actually successful at X but will coach you on how to become great at X. Scriptwriters, entrepreneurs, traders, songwriters ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Greene_DM/status/1390287432180973574?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was just about to come in here to post that

Their whole business strategy for going on a decade now is that eventually they won’t need their drivers. So I’m not sure what exactly their plan is now.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've never heard of Peloton, but that subscription model is laughable. I understand that no matter what, there will be people buying the latest cyberbike toy with all the bells and whistles for however many thousands of bucks. But paying ~$500 per year to even have access to those bells and whistles is just farcical. If you use it for even half the shelf-life for a 'premium' quality exercise bike, you'll be paying the cost of the bike (already extortionate) twice over on top. Anyone who forks over for that is mind-meltingly stupid.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My understanding is that the Peloton training is what hooks people. I'm a fan of Desus & Mero and a couple months into quarantine, Desus admitted that he was hooked on his. If only because of the kind of social aspect that exercise benefits from. You get a "personal" experience without necessarily exposing yourself to others, and it's convenient.

Definitely not something I'd ever buy, because I'll just ride my actual bike but I understand how people can get into it!

Boywhiz88 has a new favorite as of 15:26 on May 6, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Peloton was the one with the creepy Christmas ad where the husband gifts it to an already waiflike wife and she's like "so great, lost 20 lbs working hard honey :smith: "

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Peloton Christmas ad was pretty bad, but the gin ad that followed it was great.

The ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijof8uw4OHs

The response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayD-4nMnB44

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’d never heard of either of those ads but that’s pretty funny lol

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Peloton is still on the cheap end. I had a buddy recommend me one of these https://expresso.com/

e: But also yeah it's a cult or some poo poo and I'm all in

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

American attitude towards alcohol is so hosed up. Lol she's chugging gin :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So? :confused:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

america: widely known and acknowledged as the only country where people drink heavily

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ReidRansom posted:

Peloton is still on the cheap end. I had a buddy recommend me one of these https://expresso.com/

e: But also yeah it's a cult or some poo poo and I'm all in

Tell me about this cult, a brief Google didn't get me anything

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Let me point you to my bikewife Emma Lovewell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

america: widely known and acknowledged as the only country where people drink heavily

When I think about nationalities chugging gin, America is not the first country that comes to mind.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Phy posted:

in the vein of goods-as-a-service/internet of things tomfuckery, this made it into Cycle Asylum earlier this week:

https://jalopnik.com/this-dystopian-biker-airbag-crash-vest-only-saves-your-1846823791

It's an airbag vest for motorcyclists. You can pay $12/mo or $120/year (or a $400 one-time fee) to activate it, and if you forget to, or your cell service is poo poo, or you forget to charge it, uh, oops, guess it doesn't airbag when you need it

This is on top of $400 for the equipment alone.

Or, you can buy a vest from a different company that costs $650 and just activates by a tether to your bike! It won't help so much if you go down and slide next to the bike, but if that happens there's a good chance you wouldn't have needed the airbag, and the company can't revoke a tether.

(I guess this isn't really a "companies circling the drain" event, because Klim aren't going anywhere any time soon. They make decent if expensive motorcycle gear otherwise, especially for the BMW and KTM-riding "adventure bike" set, it's just, this is bullshit)

airbag vests have been around for 20 years; this is just bog standard rentier economy of things that already exist for cheaper horseshit

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

My friend has a Peloton Bike and he has one of the few cases where it makes sense - he and his wife both use it, and have two kids. So they don't have time to go to the gym; and before they had kids they would go to spin classes and boot camp, and in the area they live in, a gym membership was $60 a person. A peloton bike monthly payment plus subscription is like $130, so it's essentially the same cost for them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

My friend has a Peloton Bike and he has one of the few cases where it makes sense - he and his wife both use it, and have two kids. So they don't have time to go to the gym; and before they had kids they would go to spin classes and boot camp, and in the area they live in, a gym membership was $60 a person. A peloton bike monthly payment plus subscription is like $130, so it's essentially the same cost for them

TBF 4 of the people that I know that have them are in a similar situation. Its easier for them to break away for 30-40 min to get a workout in and be back to parenting vs trying to drive to the gym.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Phy posted:

in the vein of goods-as-a-service/internet of things tomfuckery, this made it into Cycle Asylum earlier this week:

https://jalopnik.com/this-dystopian-biker-airbag-crash-vest-only-saves-your-1846823791

It's an airbag vest for motorcyclists. You can pay $12/mo or $120/year (or a $400 one-time fee) to activate it, and if you forget to, or your cell service is poo poo, or you forget to charge it, uh, oops, guess it doesn't airbag when you need it

This is on top of $400 for the equipment alone.

Or, you can buy a vest from a different company that costs $650 and just activates by a tether to your bike! It won't help so much if you go down and slide next to the bike, but if that happens there's a good chance you wouldn't have needed the airbag, and the company can't revoke a tether.

(I guess this isn't really a "companies circling the drain" event, because Klim aren't going anywhere any time soon. They make decent if expensive motorcycle gear otherwise, especially for the BMW and KTM-riding "adventure bike" set, it's just, this is bullshit)

It also used a $100 argon refill instead of a generic CO2 cartridge. At least you don't have to ship it back like I think one company requires.

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 09:18 on May 7, 2021

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

MisterOblivious posted:

It also used a $100 argon refill instead of a generic CO2 cartridge. At least you don't have to ship it back like I think one company requires.

WTF? Argon? They use a loving noble gas? Why?

Are they honestly arguing that Argon absorbs impact better?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A true connaisseur can distinguish the bagfeel of argon, maybe if you cannot tell then you should stick with poor people airbags :discourse:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

RagnarokZ posted:

Not that it absorbs impact better, but it deploys faster. Argon is stored at far higher pressure than CO2 so it will inflate the airbag faster, and it's and in a smaller container, which I guess is also more useful for a jacket based airbag. It's not a new idea per se. The side airbags in a car often use compressed argon canisters or similar because they are required to inflate much faster than front airbags because getting T-boned requires a much faster deployment than ramming straight into a wall. The front airbags in a car generally don't even use compressed gas at all, but just contain a bunch of chemicals that when activated release a load of gas.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Argon's a noble gas, but it's like super easy to pull out of normal rear end air via cryogenic distillation.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

wow buddy I didn't know your farts were that esoteric

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

wow buddy I didn't know your farts were that esoteric

I think you mean assoteric

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SgtScruffy posted:

I mean yeah, but that also just describes the ideal situation for any exercise bike. I think the particular expensiveness of the Peloton is what people object to.

We're in a similar situation and we recently got a Schwinn exercise bike for like $650. It doesn't have a built-in screen or other smart features, but my wife still has the Peloton app for about $15 a month. There are a few bonus integrations we miss out on, but they don't seem worth the extra $300 for a more advanced Schwinn, or however much extra the Peloton bike would be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean yeah, but that also just describes the ideal situation for any exercise bike. I think the particular expensiveness of the Peloton is what people object to.

We're in a similar situation and we recently got a Schwinn exercise bike for like $650. It doesn't have a built-in screen or other smart features, but my wife still has the Peloton app for about $15 a month. There are a few bonus integrations we miss out on, but they don't seem worth the extra $300 for a more advanced Schwinn, or however much extra the Peloton bike would be.

More like it isn’t worth the extra $300 to own an exercise machine that will randomly eat your child.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

More like it isn’t worth the extra $300 to own an exercise machine that will randomly eat your child.

Depends on the kid I guess.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Otoh, fear of death or injury is a really good motivator to keep exercising :v:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RagnarokZ posted:

Everyone knows argon is what keeps us safe.

GoutPatrol has a new favorite as of 07:29 on May 8, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not even the expense; it's just the cancerous growth of rent seeking into all areas of life

You don't own your house; run out of money and you lose it.

You don't own your music, stop paying your subs and you can't listen to it.

You don't own your games console but instead rent processing power via their remote server - better keep that money flowing.

You do own your exercise bike but who cares, stop paying them and they'll turn off as many features as they can get away with.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

All this Peloton talk is making me remember some weird piece of exercise equipment that used to be advertised in a lot of magazines back in the 90s. I can't remember anything about it except that it had an absolutely ludicrous price of near $7-8k (or was it $
17k???) and had a claim that the price was worth it because you could get a full workout in like 5 minutes. It was just a plain image on a white background of the machine and then some copy.

What the hell am I remembering?

Edit: found it!

Look at this poo poo!

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 11:57 on May 8, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

All this Peloton talk is making me remember some weird piece of exercise equipment that used to be advertised in a lot of magazines back in the 90s. I can't remember anything about it except that it had an absolutely ludicrous price of near $7-8k (or was it $
17k???) and had a claim that the price was worth it because you could get a full workout in like 5 minutes. It was just a plain image on a white background of the machine and then some copy.

What the hell am I remembering?

Edit: found it!

Look at this poo poo!

They have a niche customer base though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

Not even the expense; it's just the cancerous growth of rent seeking into all areas of life

You don't own your house; run out of money and you lose it.

You don't own your music, stop paying your subs and you can't listen to it.

You don't own your games console but instead rent processing power via their remote server - better keep that money flowing.

You do own your exercise bike but who cares, stop paying them and they'll turn off as many features as they can get away with.

I mean, valid point and there def is a limit I do to what I subscribe to , but it does not mean it’s all bad.

I pay $15 a month for unlimited music for my wife and I. It’s just way cheaper than buying everything like I used to.

And yes, artists get hosed. But the biggest reason they get hosed is the majors banded together like always, bought half of Spotify, And funneled the money to them. I’m not saying streaming would still pay better than traditional albums, but they def rigged it, like the major labels always rig it. For that reason I don’t feel bad subscribing , although for local artists I try to buy their albums or merch directly.

For something you use a LOT of, it makes sense. For other stuff, yeah everything having a monthly option pushed is annoying , but there at least still seem to be other options, sometimes you do have to dig though.

Example: my calendar app (fantastical) wants me to subscribe for $3 a month. I paid $10 at one point for the app (no regrets there), but like hell am I paying a subscription for a calendar app.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, valid point and there def is a limit I do to what I subscribe to , but it does not mean it’s all bad.

I pay $15 a month for unlimited music for my wife and I. It’s just way cheaper than buying everything like I used to.

And yes, artists get hosed. But the biggest reason they get hosed is the majors banded together like always, bought half of Spotify, And funneled the money to them. I’m not saying streaming would still pay better than traditional albums, but they def rigged it, like the major labels always rig it. For that reason I don’t feel bad subscribing , although for local artists I try to buy their albums or merch directly.

This comes off as trying to justify your place in the cycle. You could just not repeatedly give Spotify money that enriches and powers them. You could just listen to slightly less music, or spend a little more to have it in perpetuity. But you’re like “well, they were gonna get screwed anyway.”

Sure, but now you’re more actively screwing them, and you’re entrenching Spotify’s position.

Sorry to pick on you, Duckman. This just hits a nerve for me.

Streaming music really rubs me the wrong way, because of the layers involved in denying bands their due along with the efforts that bands put in. To say nothing of how it’s caused people to really devalue music.

Im a big fan of Bandcamp.com if only because they seem to be the only platform that hasn’t gotten actively greedy, and has actually taken steps over the last year to empower the artists on their platform. They had numerous days where Bandcamp didn’t take a cut and all money went to the artists. Spotify and Apple Music and YouTube Music never did anything like that to my knowledge.

Food for thought!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Subscriptions are the thing I hate most about the future

Subscriptions and fascists

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Boywhiz88 posted:

They had numerous days where Bandcamp didn’t take a cut and all money went to the artists. Spotify and Apple Music and YouTube Music never did anything like that to my knowledge.

They're sticking with Bandcamp Fridays for now -- bought a couple of albums myself yesterday -- but even without them it's a better deal for the artists. As they just posted:

quote:

If you’ve started to feel guilty about buying music on any day other than Bandcamp Friday, here’s something to keep in mind: on Bandcamp Fridays, an average of 93% of your money reaches the artist/label (after payment processor fees). When you make a purchase on any other day of the month (as 2.5 million of you have since March, buying an additional $152 million worth of music and merch) an average of 82% reaches the artist/label. Every day is a good day to directly support artists on Bandcamp!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://mobile.twitter.com/posthuman/status/1389480550432448513

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any breakdowns comparing artist compensation over a span of time? Like under the old system a band may clear 75 cents on an $15 album sale, but see their royalties drop sharply after that first year, whereas now listeners don’t own the music and keep paying each time they listen to a song. Neither system is fair, but which one is worse?

Also, to stay on topic, the easy availability of streaming music somehow hasn’t managed to totally kill Musak (now called Mood Media). The very large retailer I work for pays them to curate just the right combination of inoffensive soft rock to keep shoppers happy and engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One of my friends posts his Spotify checks on Facebook sometimes and they’re often one cent. It’s not like he’s in a turbo obscure band either, they’re in that “had songs on a few shows but you probably haven’t heard of them” popularity range.