Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Ariong posted:

SonicFox: You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars.

On the one hand I wish they wouldn’t drown it in that weird sauce, but on the other hand they might be doing that so we can’t tell what the M.E.A.T. tastes like.

I assume it stands for Mascerated Eel Anus and Testicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Counter counter counter point: it's smash, who cares what the other person looks like.

My understanding of Smash is that it's more important what the other person smells like.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

ryonguy posted:

I assume it stands for Mascerated Eel Anus and Testicles.

I always liked how McDonald's advertised that their burgers contained 100% real beef and I'm thinking, yeah, sure, at some point I do believe that one of the ingredients is beef.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AvesPKS posted:

I always liked how McDonald's advertised that their burgers contained 100% real beef and I'm thinking, yeah, sure, at some point I do believe that one of the ingredients is beef.
It is beef, but it comes from the cow "gender" as opposed to steer, bull, heifer, etc. The real lie is saying "never frozen," because USDA considers 26° F not frozen.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

It is beef, but it comes from the cow "gender" as opposed to steer, bull, heifer, etc. The real lie is saying "never frozen," because USDA considers 26° F not frozen.

Which means what? Dairy cows past milk production like most ground beef?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

there wolf posted:

Which means what? Dairy cows past milk production like most ground beef?
Yes, but "like most ground beef" is incorrect, at least for our facilities.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

vyst posted:

I can't take a sport seriously if they let you dress up like a furry to compete in it
How dare you talk poo poo about SonicFox.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

Yes, but "like most ground beef" is incorrect, at least for our facilities.

So is that the difference in grades of beef? Like 100% grade A is from a black Angus bred for meat, and grade D or whatever is in a Big Mac is old Jersey's? I guess I'm asking how does the grade system work, and what does most beef end up as?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

there wolf posted:

So is that the difference in grades of beef? Like 100% grade A is from a black Angus bred for meat, and grade D or whatever is in a Big Mac is old Jersey's? I guess I'm asking how does the grade system work, and what does most beef end up as?

Pretty much. Seems to be mainly the age of the cow and how much fat they have in the muscle. Most stores sell choice, sometimes they will have prime on better cuts. Select is the lowest quality and generally shows up in more bargain stores. Then you have commercial grade, which is where fast food ends up. Below that you get stuff that is going to be canned or at the very bottom, dog food.
Basically, when shopping you get choice and don't worry about the rest. Although springing for Prime occasionally can be worth it. Its not that much more.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Choice is the most common grade. We grade with computer vision that measures fat thickness, marbling, color and a few other things. A USDA employee then has the final say on the grade. There are many other grades that are rarely used, including BONER and BONER 2 which have never been explained to me. The breed doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the grade but if it says Black Angus you know the animal had black fur.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

butt dickus posted:

There are many other grades that are rarely used, including BONER and BONER 2 which have never been explained to me.

hello i crave the boner meat

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

Choice is the most common grade. We grade with computer vision that measures fat thickness, marbling, color and a few other things. A USDA employee then has the final say on the grade. There are many other grades that are rarely used, including BONER and BONER 2 which have never been explained to me. The breed doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the grade but if it says Black Angus you know the animal had black fur.

I had to know. Boner is the medium grade for culled cows, so I think it only refers to still-living cows who are coming from some other part of the production chain than the feedlot, and being sent to slaughter.

Seriously considering a name change to Boner Cull.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

there wolf posted:

Seriously considering a name change to Boner Cull.

It would make a good user name as well.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sam Faust posted:

It would make a good user name as well.

:haw:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you've ever watched Dan Bell's Dead Mall Series videos, the two stores that always seem to occupy dead malls are GNCs and Bath and Body Works

https://twitter.com/mitchnolen/status/1153374079384260609

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

CitizenKain posted:

Below that you get stuff that is going to be canned or at the very bottom, dog food.

I once read that the bottom-of-the-barrel-meant-for-pets meat is called "utility meat". That was a long time ago, in a newspaper or magazine article or something, so that might not be the case anymore.

Feed me aaaaalll the BONER meat.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
When I was a kid, my dad had a hookup to buy huge quantities of filet mignon incredibly cheap from culled dairy cows; his family was mostly dairy farmers, so I assume that’s how he was able to do it. Evidently they only butcher a couple of cuts from them and grind the rest into hamburger.

It hosed me all up for steak as an adult ‘cause I was used to tender delicious steaks just casually eaten as if they were 1.99/lb. burgers, so as an adult everything seemed tough and flavorless unless I was eating at some high-end steakhouse on somebody else’s tab.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

All that red meat probably took away a decade from your life expectancy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Spoken like a true vegetable

:laffo:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Vegetable posted:

True, between that and all the drugs, I should already be dead.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Isn't the health hazards of red meat mostly came from the fact the majority of red meat consumed were cooked well done?

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I'm waaaay late on this, but re: the Subway smell discussion a few pages back:

I worked at a Subway in college and that smell is 100% the Italian Herb & Cheese bread. It's the weird smell of whatever mix of poo poo they put on the top. I'm 90% certain that if that bread option was removed, it probably wouldn't have that smell (the smell that is strong enough that I once was able to tell that someone had eaten at Subway within the past few hours at another job I had.)

Also, try the meat and cheese on its own sometime. There's barely any flavor to any of them. The turkey and ham especially just taste like salty water. Almost all of the flavor of your sub is from the bread and whatever sauce you chose to put on, otherwise it's totally interchangeable (unless you get a meatball sub). We'd try to make disgusting combinations of stuff when we were bored and it was never that bad because there's no goddamn flavor to clash with anything.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

butt dickus posted:

No right I get that it does have beef in it, it's not soy like Taco Bell, but the way that they advertise it implies that the whole patty is just beef, as opposed to merely one of it's constituent ingredients being beef.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

No right I get that it does have beef in it, it's not soy like Taco Bell, but the way that they advertise it implies that the whole patty is just beef, as opposed to merely one of it's constituent ingredients being beef.
It is 100% beef, dude. We make Taco Bell seasoned ground beef, too. It's ground beef, water and seasonings. I don't want to give out any trade secrets here but the food industry is highly regulated and if they claim 100% beef it had better be 100% beef.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Oats can only be oatmeal if you eat enough of them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JnnyThndrs posted:

When I was a kid, my dad had a hookup to buy huge quantities of filet mignon incredibly cheap from culled dairy cows; his family was mostly dairy farmers, so I assume that’s how he was able to do it. Evidently they only butcher a couple of cuts from them and grind the rest into hamburger.

It hosed me all up for steak as an adult ‘cause I was used to tender delicious steaks just casually eaten as if they were 1.99/lb. burgers, so as an adult everything seemed tough and flavorless unless I was eating at some high-end steakhouse on somebody else’s tab.

I don’t get it: you found other steak flavourless compared to filet? There’s a reason they often serve filet with bacon or sauce, which is that it has very mild flavour due to approximately zero marbling. Nice texture for sure, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t get it: you found other steak flavourless compared to filet? There’s a reason they often serve filet with bacon or sauce, which is that it has very mild flavour due to approximately zero marbling. Nice texture for sure, though.

I think you're getting bad filet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Luckyellow posted:

Isn't the health hazards of red meat mostly came from the fact the majority of red meat consumed were cooked well done?

That and the recently-discovered red meat allergy which is spread thru tick bites

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
no he's absolutely right, filet compared to something like porterhouse has significantly less flavor

this is exactly why, as he said, you often see filet wrapped in bacon but you don't see the same for a t-bone or ribeye. fat is flavor, and filet is the leaner cut by a huge margin

don't get me wrong, i love me a good filet, but a porterhouse is pound for pound significantly more flavorful

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
post your filets itt

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

post your filets itt

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

post your fillets itt

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm a philistine but I'll take a nice well-marinated flank steak over most cuts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I grew up on dirt cheap managers special sirloin, grilled unseasoned, so now whenever I have a really high end steak I just go "its just okay" because any joy I could have for steak was ripped from me at a young age

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rick posted:

I'm a philistine but I'll take a nice well-marinated flank steak over most cuts.

People think I'm crazy for it but my favorite is stew beef cooked with some other stuff. You know, like in a stir fry or something.

Yeah I know it's really just leftovers and random lovely cuts people otherwise wouldn't want but give me a big rear end bowl of stew beef and vegetables over a steak any day.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Rick posted:

My mom always made this with teriyaki and to this day it is one of my favorite meals. drat I'm hungry!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
At a restaurant or "with company," i'll eat a steak like a normal person. But if I'm home or at my parents house I put soy sauce on it. It just feels right :smith:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Subjunctive posted:

Old dairy cattle are insanely flavorful compared to your regular grocery store beef. It tends to be a lot tougher though, since the animals are usually 7-10 years old by the time they get culled/retired. It’s also difficult to get the middle-meats from cows of that age since regulations dictate (at least in the US) that the entire spinal column has to be removed at slaughter once cattle reaches a certain age (like 24mo or so, once certain vertebrae fuse together) thanks to concerns about our old friend Mad Cow Disease.

kumba posted:

no he's absolutely right, filet compared to something like porterhouse has significantly less flavor

this is exactly why, as he said, you often see filet wrapped in bacon but you don't see the same for a t-bone or ribeye. fat is flavor, and filet is the leaner cut by a huge margin

don't get me wrong, i love me a good filet, but a porterhouse is pound for pound significantly more flavorful

Boy I really don’t want to be the guy that let’s you know what half the meat on a t-bone or porterhouse cut is...

i appreciate this post so much

Merkin Muffley has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Jul 25, 2019

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

quote:

Boy I really don’t want to be the guy that let’s you know what half the meat on a t-bone or porterhouse cut is...

i appreciate this post so much

Be that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am aware, the point still stands. yes, the filet portion is more tender. no, it's not more flavorful