Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was prepared to give Quibi the benefit of the doubt by thinking everyone being in lockdown had seriously impacted the demand for short video content when people have all day to fill and boxsets to watch. Then I saw those clips of their film about the woman with the gold prosthetic arm and thought, "No, these people are just poo poo at making content and no one in their right mind will pay for stuff that literally seems like it's been written by a five year-old."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that they also made it impossible to really share clips from the shows either, which is genius

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I think the "no free content, no free trial periods, subscriptions only and no freebie tasters for the exclusives, not even trailers or reviews for social media" at the same time when there is more free poo poo in the Youtube et al. to watch than anyone has time for. Probably also does not help that unemployment rates for people under 40 are at the same time hilarious and depressing.

So your competition is basically free or ad-paid content, while your target customers are going through a Dust Bowl-style economic catastrophe.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Quibi probably did exactly what it was supposed to, funnel money from one set of deep pockets to another.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree, but it seems like Katzenberg still thinks this is a winning idea

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

do you think if i got high with a box of crayons i could convince Katzenberg to give me $250K per ten minute episode of my cartoon masterpiece "Quibi Is For Low Effort Trash Like This"?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

Dishmantled, in which two blindfolded chef-contestants are blasted with a cannonload of mystery-food gloop and must identify the ingredients by taste, then use them to reconstruct the dish.

Every single show concept described in the article sounds like biting satire of TV shows to me. Is this just how TV is nowadays and I've just grown old?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Antigravitas posted:

Every single show concept described in the article sounds like biting satire of TV shows to me. Is this just how TV is nowadays and I've just grown old?

one of the biggest television shows in america right now is watching grown adults play "the floor is lava"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's quite the step down from Takeshi's Castle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Antigravitas posted:

That's quite the step down from Takeshi's Castle.

To be fair, American Ninja Warrior is nowhere near as fun to watch as its Japanese counterpart. I don't want to hear 5 minutes of background on each contestant, just loving show them doing incredible feats of athletic prowess, it's not reality TV much as you want it to be.

E: I'm assuming the "floor is lava" series is that.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Jul 7, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, American Ninja Warrior is nowhere near as fun to watch as its Japanese counterpart. I don't want to hear 5 minutes of background on each contestant, just loving show them doing incredible feats of athletic prowess, it's not reality TV much as you want it to be.

E: I'm assuming the "floor is lava" series is that.

no there is now a separate series that is literally called Floor Is Lava

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The floor is lava show is terrible. It's like adult Legends of the Hidden Temple only with all the fantasy, fun, and heart sucked from it. No idea how they made that show so bland.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Plus, I'm 20-something. No one I know my age gives a poo poo about reality shows. Reality TV is a memory of the garbage parents watched as filler TV. The people I know want something to invest in, long term, with characters. They want an Office, Community, Stranger Things, Steven Universe, or Anime to unwind to. Quibi content sounds like stuff made for people who though Beavis and Butthead was the hight of TV, but not because of the satire but because they could get away with saying douche.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Beavis and Butthead was the hight of TV, but not because of the satire but because they could get away with saying douche.

Beavis and Butthead is the pinnacle of television for both of those reasons.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

silence_kit posted:

Beavis and Butthead is the pinnacle of television for both of those reasons.

but(t) they couldn't get away with saying "fire" repeatedly :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1280147897317765122

Notice how nothing is linked

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The only thing sadder about Quibi is that the new Reno 911 is on there

Cmoooon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember that they also made it impossible to really share clips from the shows either, which is genius

This is the part where, for me, it transcends merely being another waste of money by an entertainment-tech hybrid vanity venture, and becomes a masterpiece of the genre. It’s truly inspired.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have a 3 month free trial with ads that expires in 2 days.

I haven't watched any Quibi since April.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have a 3 month free trial with ads that expires in 2 days.

I haven't watched any Quibi since April.

I never watched it during my 3 month trial and canceled it having never opened the app. They literally couldn’t give it away.

I don’t understand the economics of streaming services. Any TV show (especially one headlined by a A-listers) is automatically more expensive than a broadcast network show because there’s no backend money from syndication. More expenses are front-loaded. I don’t know if actors get residual payments for rebroadcasts either since the shows aren’t really being broadcasted in the traditional sense.

Several years ago, before Amazon started producing their own content (and when their Prime Video and music were still kind of lame) it was costing $75 of each $100 yearly Prime membership just to cover licensing. I get that Amazon isn’t trying to make money off of Prime subscriptions, but that kind of cash burn probably isn’t sustainable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Does quibi actually have any animated content? You'd think with freakin Katzenberg in charge and golden age cartoons being all the rage now it'd be the perfect platform for animated shorts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Expensive and a long lead-time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they have "Murder House Flip" which, ... do they do the murders? is that part of the premise?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's just as well reality TV is really, really cheap and quick to make.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does quibi actually have any animated content? You'd think with freakin Katzenberg in charge and golden age cartoons being all the rage now it'd be the perfect platform for animated shorts.

I get the feeling that Katzenberg doesn’t really care about animation at all, he was just sort of dropped into Disney animations and after getting ousted he basically started Dreamworks out of spite.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alaois posted:

no there is now a separate series that is literally called Floor Is Lava

:wtc:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shouldn't really be surprising? Reality shows rip off each other constantly.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just wait until you guys watch “naked attraction”. That’s the bottom right there

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
... Monkey Tennis?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jel Shaker posted:

That’s the bottom right there

:heysexy:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Subjunctive posted:

This is the part where, for me, it transcends merely being another waste of money by an entertainment-tech hybrid vanity venture, and becomes a masterpiece of the genre. It’s truly inspired.

Yeah, the fact that they did not understand and recognize that hyperlinks underpin all of internet communication is extremely hilarious to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, the fact that they did not understand and recognize that hyperlinks underpin all of internet communication is extremely hilarious to me

most people in charge of internet services don't use the internet, and that explains a lot

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Biplane posted:

Quibi probably did exactly what it was supposed to, funnel money from one set of deep pockets to another.

Ahh yes, the SoftBank approach.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

most people in charge of internet services don't use the internet, and that explains a lot

Yeah, some people say that management is just a general all-purpose skill, and that a good manager could run any kind of group or organization, but then you see people making decisions like this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

food court bailiff posted:

do you think if i got high with a box of crayons i could convince Katzenberg to give me $250K per ten minute episode of my cartoon masterpiece "Quibi Is For Low Effort Trash Like This"?

If you were Will Ferrell or Jim Gaffigan, yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, some people say that management is just a general all-purpose skill, and that a good manager could run any kind of group or organization, but then you see people making decisions like this

People say this because they don't want to admit that upper management is a class, not a job title, and the point is to make excuses for them to be paid millions of dollars to have everyone else do all the work

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reminder that the people paid billions to manage billions were like “the future has never looked brighter” in February.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Reminder that the people paid billions to manage billions were like “the future has never looked brighter” in February.

And for them it's totally 100% true, they are making money hand over fist from this.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Anybody who has another person print out their emails and fold them vertically should unhesitatingly be guillotined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Solice Kirsk posted:

The floor is lava show is terrible. It's like adult Legends of the Hidden Temple only with all the fantasy, fun, and heart sucked from it. No idea how they made that show so bland.

Seconding this. I really enjoyed the first season of the US version of Wipeout, so I figured I'd give this a try. I was so wrong. The first 30 minutes of the show was just a camera panning around the lava room showing all of the possible routes and pitfalls, complete with lovely graphics. Literally no action for the first half of the show.

If you make a show called The Floor is Lava, you can be drat sure the audience wants to see someone go screaming into the lava within 2 minutes of starting the program.