Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Rick posted:

I am talking about The Loft in Tucson. Is your place in Pasadena? During my exhibition class in college someone did a presentation on one there. But southern CA has a lot of good little theaters.

Nope, The Frida in Santa Ana. It's rad as hell and did a (packed) screening of Cats on Valentine's Day. I'm glad there's a decent place for movies down there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RC is still my favorite of the plain ol' dark sodas, so Diet Rite is A-OK to me.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I remember having Tab Clear either in the late 80s or early 90s. Not seen any Tab branded product in the UK since then.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My local library has had a Tab extra machine since the early 90s. It's still there, presumably full of Tab.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I’ve been wondering, was the thing about Fresca that season that it’s something only an rear end in a top hat would drink?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's just a funny thing to drink. Kind of like the fly from season 1.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's just a funny thing to drink. Kind of like the fly from season 1.

It was mildly funny but I hope The Donald Trump Show is not renewed for a second season.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’ve been wondering, was the thing about Fresca that season that it’s something only an rear end in a top hat would drink?

It was just a joke the writers found funny.

https://twitter.com/therealkripke/status/1315459769725976577?s=21

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Jonathan Coulton cruise attracts literal thousands of nerds every year

you are welcome to take this information as confirmation or refutation of your post, your choice

I mean, I'm fine with cruises (although I'll never go on one) but I just don't get the appeal of a cruise with Kenny Loggins or whoever as the main draw. Is that the last bastion before the artist starts playing county fairs and such? Just seems... Weird.

kumba posted:

my neighbor growing up that used to drive me to school used to have tab instead of coffee every morning

he is the only person i have ever seen drink it

I used to drink it up until the very early 80s. I am old.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Jonathan Coulton cruise attracts literal thousands of nerds every year

you are welcome to take this information as confirmation or refutation of your post, your choice

Isn't the JoCo cruise more like a convention on a boat, rather than Coulton being the main draw? Like, there's a bunch of events and stuff and people aren't just going to hear a live performance if Re: Your Brains?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

buddhist nudist posted:

Isn't the JoCo cruise more like a convention on a boat, rather than Coulton being the main draw? Like, there's a bunch of events and stuff and people aren't just going to hear a live performance if Re: Your Brains?

I've got a friend that goes, it's a chance for anti social turbo nerds to mingle for a few days without feeling like a total weirdo. Coulton is just one of the acts.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

there wolf posted:

That's kind of what happened with bookstores and other media outlets. Little places don't have the overhead or need for mass appeal that big chain does, so they can get by with a smaller customer base and be a lot more flexible in what they offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if inde, dollar, and foreign film theaters got a little resurgence if one or more of the big theater companies goes down. For one their real estate will be up for grabs, and it's probably easier to keep costs down when your model doesn't rely on massive blockbusters that you pay out the nose for only to hand the studios most of the take. Also there are a lot of people who enjoy going to the theater as an experience who'll be free for poaching by smaller outfits.

If this means more theaters that'll show Rocky Horror, and I'll be able to get a cast going at a local one, then hell yes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are gay cruises still a thing? I feel like those had a special place in the cruise pantheon. And by gay I mean the family friendly versions with people like Rosie O'Donnell and not the sexy sex cruises. It had to be nice to be out and open with your partner and kids and not worry about other people for a week.

And looking it up it appears they are very much a thing and now I wish I had used incognito mode because I'm now about to get lots of new focused advertising.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I feel like Disney cruises have that crossover you are looking for.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are gay cruises still a thing? I feel like those had a special place in the cruise pantheon. And by gay I mean the family friendly versions with people like Rosie O'Donnell and not the sexy sex cruises. It had to be nice to be out and open with your partner and kids and not worry about other people for a week.

And looking it up it appears they are very much a thing and now I wish I had used incognito mode because I'm now about to get lots of new focused advertising.

I'd like to think what you're describing is a modern day, regular old cruise. Short of an RNC themed week, or one of the Christian Radio weeks, I don't think you'd run into anyone who would give a rooty-toot about bedroom activities. And honestly if you hit up the steam room during one of those weeks, you're more likely to see sexy sex activities.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I'd like to think what you're describing is a modern day, regular old cruise. Short of an RNC themed week, or one of the Christian Radio weeks, I don't think you'd run into anyone who would give a rooty-toot about bedroom activities. And honestly if you hit up the steam room during one of those weeks, you're more likely to see sexy sex activities.

I'm more referring to gay family cruises that started in the 1990's, around the time state governments stopped actively preventing gays from adopting/keeping their kids in a divorce. I just remember Rosie McDonnell headlining some of them. I'm sure there was plenty of sex on them like there is on any cruise, but the focus was families rather than singles.

At that time I believe they were sold as a place where you could be open and not deal with whatever we called Karens back then.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cruises? are you all talking about that thing in the Old Times where people would ride in a ship?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chupacabron posted:

Nope, The Frida in Santa Ana. It's rad as hell and did a (packed) screening of Cats on Valentine's Day. I'm glad there's a decent place for movies down there too

Checking out the website, it is very similar as far as what they are doing. I wonder if I ever went there? I lived in Santa Ana for like 6 years as a kid and we went to the movies a lot, but I was very young.

Only place I clearly remember was a theater built over an ice rink that I am sure is probably long gone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not only are there, one of them is the subject of one of my absolute favorite articles to laugh at in my entire life.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/shannonkeating/lesbian-cruise

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
The b-story for an episode of The Sarah Silverman Program was about Brian Posehn freaking out about Tab.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjARWtCvxV0

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

buddhist nudist posted:

Just slinging this into the void but I've got both a Jonathan Coulton song and some George Clanton stuff on Spotify and I thought it was the same person and had no idea one of them worked on video games.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/benmullin/status/1318970637747212290?s=21

What a...tragedy?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Imagine paying someone hundreds of dollars an hour to tell you something you already knew.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I actually heard an ad for Quibi on a podcast this morning :psyduck:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

vyst posted:

Imagine paying someone hundreds of dollars an hour to tell you something you already knew.

Right? How do people ever need consultants? For a long time I could never figure out what those companies were that advertised on NPR.

"Stubbard & Winslow. Solutions-based approaches for answers."

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I actually heard an ad for Quibi on a podcast this morning :psyduck:

they are still sinking money into ads, they seem to think the reason they are failing is because enough people are not aware of their platform

when in reality, enough people know about it and they also see that there is no value

I am still salty that quibi is where reno 911 was reunited even if it was in a terrible format

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Haven’t they continued to refuse to offer any type of free trial, even releasing the first episode of something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

I assumed it was a reference to the practice that Mormons can't drink hot caffeinated beverages but will drink Coke.

The religion in the show was much more obviously a 'parody' of Scientology though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Haven’t they continued to refuse to offer any type of free trial, even releasing the first episode of something?

Free trial only makes sense if you think people will look at your product and think "Yes, I want to see more of this" instead of "I hope the cancellation process is not too annoying"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Foxfire_ posted:

Free trial only makes sense if you think people will look at your product and think "Yes, I want to see more of this" instead of "I hope the cancellation process is not too annoying"

:lmao:

I bet Quibi has one of those cancellation processes that involves emailing someone

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They offered 3 months free when they first started in the Spring. I signed up and literally never opened the app before I canceled it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao:

I bet Quibi has one of those cancellation processes that involves emailing someone

The really desperate ones make you call. I wonder how they calculate the balance point between “making it hard for customers to leave” and “paying people to work the phones.”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The really desperate ones make you call. I wonder how they calculate the balance point between “making it hard for customers to leave” and “paying people to work the phones.”

They probably only pay one person to answer the phones, that way the hold time makes more people give up

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

They probably only pay one person to answer the phones, that way the hold time makes more people give up

drat. They’re clever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carrion Luggage posted:

they are still sinking money into ads, they seem to think the reason they are failing is because enough people are not aware of their platform

when in reality, enough people know about it and they also see that there is no value

I am still salty that quibi is where reno 911 was reunited even if it was in a terrible format

Before this thread I never actually heard of it. The market is absolutely crowded with a bunch of clones of these companies and even established companies like cbs and nbc are having a tough time moving to streaming channels because no one actually wants to play 13 different $9.99 subscriptions.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Customer lifetime value after retention (calculated via analysis) vs cost of having people on the phones (building + salaries + equipment etc). If you're feeling saucy, you can throw the likelihood of customers voluntarily returning later into this, which approaches "lol" the more annoying cancellation becomes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

That, or the calls are going to generic call centers where the people answering the phone do so for a ton of random companies. They’ll get banks, airlines, other travel stuff, random communications, etc back to back.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I had to call to cancel Sirius XM last year and it went to some random call center. They don’t let you cancel online.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

fartknocker posted:

That, or the calls are going to generic call centers where the people answering the phone do so for a ton of random companies. They’ll get banks, airlines, other travel stuff, random communications, etc back to back.

Isn't there now Uber but for call centers where people buy their own equipment and fight for the privilege of getting paid well below minimum wage to field random customer support calls?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Welp

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1319005356333256704?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was that, less than a year? Holy poo poo.