Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The changeover was analog/digital, not necessarily SD/HD. BUT, there are still a lot old TVs out there. I had a client with an honest to god console television that was functional by way of RF adapter/coaxial and had a Roku hooked up to it via RCA to the RF/Coax adapter. It was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

The changeover was analog/digital, not necessarily SD/HD. BUT, there are still a lot old TVs out there. I had a client with an honest to god console television that was functional by way of RF adapter/coaxial and had a Roku hooked up to it via RCA to the RF/Coax adapter. It was insane.

Yeah, I know, but most of the channels are broadcasting in 720p, which, while not 1080p, still HD.

I have maybe two subchannels that broadcast in SD.

That said, that's some serious effort to get a Roku to work on an ancient TV.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a local Christian station here that's still broadcasting in UHF, which I thought was illegal

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's a local Christian station here that's still broadcasting in UHF, which I thought was illegal

weird al approves

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Empty Sandwich posted:

If I recall correctly certain very low power or small community stations are allowed to. Per the usual websites, I should be able to pick it up with my antenna, but it's never happened, and I don't care enough to attempt to find it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Empty Sandwich posted:

There is still a bit of the airways open for UHF TV, and there was a lot more of it open as recently as last year.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The "Daily Stormer" site exists and is hosted by VanWaTech, who also host 8chan/kun and Q websites. Here's a graphic that shows the IPs assigned to VanWaTech as of October 2020 and the sites to which they resolve:

VanWaTech is owned by a scumbag named Nick Lim. VanWaTech has lost most of their peering options, as companies understandably don't love to do business with hosts for sites like Vanguard America, lolis[dot]xyz, incels[dot]net, maga[dot]host, 8kun, and QArmy[dot]net. The only provider connecting them now, i believe, is a Russian internet company called DDoS-Guard.

(Fun fact: DDoS-Guard also host Hamas' website.)
Well I guess I have to remove ASIAN-BIKINI.Com from my bookmarks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I was going to question why the cable companies even bother with SD channels anymore, but I guess that's one explanation.

It's just weird to me that 12 years after the changeover that there would be too many TVs left that can't interpret a HD signal.
My mom refuses to get rid of the 19" CRT she's using now, because "it still works fine".

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're just going to spend $12 a month to get local channels in SD, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just get an antenna and get the HD for free.
Over-the-air reception on the digital channels is absolutely horrible. I'm not even remote, I'm smack in the middle of the suburbs, and only a few stations come in without getting all studdery and artifacty. Apparently a lot of stations didn't want to pay a lot for digital upgrades on their transmitters since the majority of their viewers are on cable now, so the signals are a lot weaker than they used to be. Granted I haven't tried for a few years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Knormal posted:

My mom refuses to get rid of the 19" CRT she's using now, because "it still works fine".

I expect that stuff if few and far between these days, because they haven't made CRTs in 15 or so years, and they're going to be failing.

I'd suspect that most people just unload their CRTs by leaving them behind when they move, since they're all just big old bitches to put in a car and take up and down stairs.

Knormal posted:

Over-the-air reception on the digital channels is absolutely horrible. I'm not even remote, I'm smack in the middle of the suburbs, and only a few stations come in without getting all studdery and artifacty. Apparently a lot of stations didn't want to pay a lot for digital upgrades on their transmitters since the majority of their viewers are on cable now, so the signals are a lot weaker than they used to be. Granted I haven't tried for a few years.

Yeah, locally in the last few years, several transmitters were upgraded, or forced to be upgraded by making GBS threads the bed, and the difference was definitely night and day, especially when it came to the subchannels.

I found that for some reason the LED lightbulb near my antenna was what was interfering with one of the channels. I recently noticed that I haven't had that problem for a little while now, so they probably updated their transmitter at some time last year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Knormal posted:

It can be both easier or harder than olden days. So much of it depends on where you are situated relative to the broadcasts, a few meters this way or that way is the difference between being able to pick up 80 channels with an antenna you put together yourself for $5 in parts or needing an expensive thing on your roof that needs rotation motors to get 7 channels.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I expect that stuff if few and far between these days, because they haven't made CRTs in 15 or so years, and they're going to be failing.

I'd suspect that most people just unload their CRTs by leaving them behind when they move, since they're all just big old bitches to put in a car and take up and down stairs.

Retro gaming weirdos like me still swoop in and scoop these up if they're from a brand you've heard of before. I have a 20" CRT in my "office" and I've toyed with getting one of those composite video equipped Rokus just so I can watch Star Trek TNG the way I remember it. It's a fine way to watch old anime DVDs too.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Empty Sandwich posted:

Almost every channel is on UHF now. Most of the the VHF numbered channels are strictly branding. Channel 4 in my area is actually 32, Channel 5 is 35, etc.

There's only a single station broadcasting solely on VHF here and they've asked the FCC for approval to switch to UHF. One other station simulcasts thier main channel on VHF & UHF. I bet they shut down thier VHF transmitter the same day as the other channel switches to UHF.

Some low-power stations may still analog up until this summer.

Knormal posted:

Over-the-air reception on the digital channels is absolutely horrible. I'm not even remote, I'm smack in the middle of the suburbs, and only a few stations come in without getting all studdery and artifacty.

Nah, it's good. UHF just doesn't penetrate buildings well. It's also really susceptible to relections. Too weak of an antenna and/or putting it on the wrong side of the building make the experience lovely. My OTA currently sucks because my lovely antenna is on the wrong side of the house and indoors. The rear end in a top hat carpenters the landlord hired before I moved in cut all the cables and once I fix that nonsense I'll have great OTA again.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
thanks for the UHF clarification.

when I was a kid, we inherited one of those rotating rooftop antennas. it was mildly hilarious... we marked the best point for each station, and NBC was at one extreme and ABC was at the other, so it was kind of an ordeal to casually switch stations. (still a dial TV, for that matter.)

I need one of those now. something about my house blocks most TV and radio signals

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I spent 2 hours in my mom's attic installing a powered antenna only to realize most of the broadcast transmitters were to the Southwest behind a very large hill.

I called an installer who specializes in OTA setups and he took one look at the address in his software and made a sad noise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish I could put up an outdoor antenna that rotates, I occasionally get a wild hair up my rear end to see if I can get any new stations with my dinky rear end antenna in my apartment. Once in a while I can get a good signal from somewhere, just long enough to realize that it's not one of my normal channels, only for it to be lost to the ether.

I know I've gotten a signal from Columbus, so it's not much of a stretch that I might be able to get one from Indianapolis or Lousiville.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

https://antennaweb.org may be a useful link for some of you. You put in your address and it tells you what OTA stations you should be able to get, what kind of antenna you need, and a map of where the stations broadcast in relation to your house for positioning.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McPhearson posted:

https://antennaweb.org may be a useful link for some of you. You put in your address and it tells you what OTA stations you should be able to get, what kind of antenna you need, and a map of where the stations broadcast in relation to your house for positioning.

:yeah:

Also, https://www.tvfool.com/ is great for the really technical side of it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Iron Crowned posted:

I used to work as a processor for a thrift store back in 2014-15, and one of the happiest announcements made at a staff meeting was that we were not to accept any TV's made before 2000. Sorry, dude, you can just leave that Trinitron/plasma/ginormous rear-projection in your SUV, I ain't moving it!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Plenty of CRT SD Trinitrons were made in the first half of the 2000s, including massive ones that need a handtruck + two strong people to relocate. Those are the ones to get for retrogaming, too, as they usually come with S-video and Component (Y-Pb-Pr) inputs for a much sharper image than Composite, and historically were far more affordable than professional monitors like PVMs.

If I ever see one of those that's 19 or 20" (so I can actually carry it myself) and has the aforementioned inputs, it is mine. They exist but are rare.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I spent 2 hours in my mom's attic installing a powered antenna only to realize most of the broadcast transmitters were to the Southwest behind a very large hill.

I called an installer who specializes in OTA setups and he took one look at the address in his software and made a sad noise.

I have a friend who works as an arborist in a pretty forested area in CA. People crammed antennas into then-sixty feet tall antennas back in 80s, and "can you take that hideous thing out of my tree" is a really common request that customers make. One time I was helping him out on a weekend, and his dipshit employee just straight up cut it out of a tree without roping it in. Imagine a 60ish lb, fiber glass antenna falling ninety feet and shattering into a million pieces in someone's driveway.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

McCracAttack posted:

Retro gaming weirdos like me still swoop in and scoop these up if they're from a brand you've heard of before. I have a 20" CRT in my "office" and I've toyed with getting one of those composite video equipped Rokus just so I can watch Star Trek TNG the way I remember it. It's a fine way to watch old anime DVDs too.

apparently there's multiple people in my smallish town that own(ed) Trinitrons. the massive 300-pounders you have to bribe moving companies to even look at. I've seen two out at the dumpster in my neighborhood in the past five years or so, and both sat there for a solid two or three weeks with FREE signs on them before mysteriously disappearing

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I unloaded a Trinitron by telling the guy helping us move "Dude, if you can get it out of the entertainment center, and then out of the house, it's yours." Nearly put my back out getting it in there in the first place.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Gamestop is currently demonstrating what I can only describe as "private equity funds arguing over who gets to loot the body after the mark gets shanked."

The other option is a massive pump and dump scheme, but that's indistinguishable from private equity anyway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Someone loving with r/wallstreetbets, and a bunch sorry rear end marks about to transfer their wealth

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Rest in loving peace gamestop and that subreddit.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Huh. It peaked at $76/share today, this has gotta be a pump and dump.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

spookykid posted:

Huh. It peaked at $76/share today, this has gotta be a pump and dump.

Good article on it: https://www.polygon.com/2021/1/22/22245048/gamestop-stock-price-record-short-selling-squeeze-bubble-explainer

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lmao what a dumb situation.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still miss local rental places. Zoning out and flipping through Netflix has nothing on absentmindedly wandering around one of those. And usually when you’re wandering around one of those you’d actually end up picking something instead of just having choice paralysis.

For me it's just that stores weren't set up by an algorithm tailored to what it thinks I personally want to see. The nice thing about video stores was turning a corner and finding something you meant to watch but forgot about or some old classic you've been meaning to see, or some absolute piece of poo poo that'll be good for a laugh. There's not a single streaming service that recreates that kind of idle browsing.

Fine, the rental store is gone for good, can someone make one for me in VR?

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Jan 23, 2021

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

lol good

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It owns, burning speculators is a victimless crime.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I don’t know if this is more about Best Buy or my local mall. But Best Buy is leaving the 6th largest mall in the US in the spring. The store is massive and I’m sure they’re paying an amount in rent that could probably cover the costs of building another store somewhere else in the area.

The only anchors left there will be Macy’s and dicks. Leaving an empty bon ton, jc pennys and I think lord and Taylor’s went out of business.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That’s capitalism for you!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i know it's just one group of speculators dunking on another, but the fact that the dunkers are internet trolls and the dunkees are investment firms means i still think this owns

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i know it's just one group of speculators dunking on another, but the fact that the dunkers are internet trolls and the dunkees are investment firms means i still think this owns

Same, though I have to assume that some investment firm paid for a bunch of shills to get reddit to do it, so that they can dump after the pump, and make a ton in shorts on the way down.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Grunch Worldflower posted:

For me it's just that stores weren't set up by an algorithm tailored to what it thinks I personally want to see. The nice thing about video stores was turning a corner and finding something you meant to watch but forgot about or some old classic you've been meaning to see, or some absolute piece of poo poo that'll be good for a laugh. There's not a single streaming service that recreates that kind of idle browsing.

Fine, the rental store is gone for good, can someone make one for me in VR?

yeah physical video stores had that element of just random exposure for things you couldn't have possibly known to search for. i guess you could approximate that with a "randomizer" type of thing in a streaming service, but there's just *so much content* that i think a lot of the magic would be missing. like yeah stores had some lousy stuff stocked but it had to jump a certain amount of clearance to get made and brought to vhs/dvd so at least whatever you took home, even if it was bad, would at least be bad in an entertaining way.

same way there's a lot of movies and tV shows i never would have watched except I happened to tune in halfway through like season 3 episode 5 and thought "hey I want to get to know these characters now." there's something real welcoming about walking in "in media res" and kind of figuring poo poo out for yourself for a little bit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sweeperbravo posted:

i guess you could approximate that with a "randomizer" type of thing in a streaming service, but there's just *so much content* that i think a lot of the magic would be missing.
The Netflix app on my Roku has a little Random Play icon under the user's that kind of does this?

There was also Netflix Max(i think) on the PS3 that would either rando show you something or ask you a few questions to get some results for you

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And what did that algorithm say you should watch?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which scenario was more likely in the long long ago:

1. You went to the video store specifically to peruse, and wandered the aisles filled with a sense of wonder and magic, being exposed to a whole world of different titles and genres in a way that's impossible in today's dreary world of algorithms

Or

2. You went to the video store for a specific movie, and they were out of copies of it. And anything else you might have been interested in. You left disappointed.

It was always number 2! Don't romanticize the past, it loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Nah, if anything, it was a middle ground. While there were many times I’d go in looking for a specific title, there’d also be just browsing some sections and looking at boxes. The sort of thing where it’d be “I’m in the mood for an action movie, let’s check that section” and maybe you’d get something you’ve seen before, you might also get something that has actors you like or has a cool cover or was cheap/in stock or whatever. I’m pretty sure that’s how a lot movies like specifically Boondocks Saints and to a lesser extent the first Austin Powers became well known.