Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basticle posted:

They're all KFC/LJS combo restaurants around here

Missed opportunity for Admiral Sanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there are a bunch of local chains or one-off fast-food fish places in Louisville and southern Indiana. they all look grim and dated and empty, and I always assumed they were holdovers from before Vatican II (but I didn't realize Lent was still meatless Fridays).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speaking of Long John Silvers, how the gently caress are they not in this thread as a discussion topic? I’ve never seen anyone at any of them I’ve ever come across.

I never really thought about it. The one near me closed down, it's next to the quasi-abandoned Jack in the Box, both of which I assumed was because they weren't paying enough for people to take their poo poo in a pandemic.

I know I don't eat there, and haven't in over a decade, because I ended up on the toilet all night every time I did.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

There's one long John silver's that I know of about 30 minutes away that has always been there afaik.

Last time I drove by I didn't think there were any customers in the lot or drive thru so I don't know how they're still open.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lakedaimon posted:

I miss Arthur Treacher's. Used to eat there somewhat regularly as a kid, then I guess there was some kind of mutiny by the local franchisee and for about a decade they carried on as generic seafood joints, with the food almost exactly the same as before. And the last Long John Silver's in the area had some kind of minor grease fire and I seriously doubt anyone will spend the money to get it up and running again.

There's a new restaurant in my hometown with great fish, but the hushpuppies still arent as good as the old Arthur Treacher ones.

It's funny, when LJS died here something similar was tried, I think like the son of the LJS franchisee took all of their locations over with some lame local name. All but one were dead in less than a month, the last one held on a while but didn't make it too much past a year. I am wondering if it is really expensive or just really hard to do a fast food fish business (makes sense that it is where I am in Arizona due to the oceans being 6 hours in Mexico or 8 hours in California away).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The last two times I've gotten LJS I've gotten sick, one more time and it's over FOR REAL

The only time I eat it is when my wife wants Taco Bell, because it's a combo location and I'd still rather roll the dice with LJS than eat that dog food

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I like the hush puppies at Long John Silver's. :( That's one of only like, two places around me that has 'em.

Eat more hush puppies, California!

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Rick posted:

It's funny, when LJS died here something similar was tried, I think like the son of the LJS franchisee took all of their locations over with some lame local name. All but one were dead in less than a month, the last one held on a while but didn't make it too much past a year. I am wondering if it is really expensive or just really hard to do a fast food fish business (makes sense that it is where I am in Arizona due to the oceans being 6 hours in Mexico or 8 hours in California away).

Fish & chips isn't as popular here in America; which is weird since I'm pretty sure everything on the menu is deep fried. The only good thing about LJS was the bed of fried batter bits everything was served on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The weird thing is LJS people hate Captain D’s and Captain D’s people hate LJS.

I’m in the LJS camp. Just give me a styrofoam box full of those chunks of breading. No fish. No chips, just fried breading to clog up the last open artery.

I loving love LJS and even I can’t be bothered to go, so I have no idea how they stay open either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sekhmnet posted:

Fish & chips isn't as popular here in America; which is weird since I'm pretty sure everything on the menu is deep fried. The only good thing about LJS was the bed of fried batter bits everything was served on.

Not as popular, but fish and chips is still pretty popular although that probably depends on what part of the country

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sekhmnet posted:

I think I liked their chicken more than their fish.

We have a local place that seems to be seems to have been circling the train for 10+ years, it's in a bad part of town, very dirty and like they have the cheapest condiments on earth, never been in there with anyone else, ancient CRT TV with rabbit ears. And it's worked by people in their 30s and 40s so it's not like a heritage restaurant. Food is a tier above long john silvers though and in California the grosser a fish and chips spot is the better the food, usually. This place it's not so true but there are no other options.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

I think I liked their chicken more than their fish.

i refuse to believe that it's possible to distinguish between any of LJS's deep fried menu items with anything less than a mass spectrometer and maybe not even then

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LJS fish that tastes like chicken and the chicken that tastes like fish is my favorite part about the restaurant. Just fry it all in the same oil who fuckin cares gimme those breaded bits.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gs2UuMFYwI

Company Man has some of the best corporate insight on youtube.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Empty Sandwich posted:

there are a bunch of local chains or one-off fast-food fish places in Louisville and southern Indiana. they all look grim and dated and empty, and I always assumed they were holdovers from before Vatican II (but I didn't realize Lent was still meatless Fridays).

I do get the impression the Lent thing is just because people like having an excuse to mix things up for a while.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this discussion is making me realize that chicken fingers and fries are the American fish and chips

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Empty Sandwich posted:

this discussion is making me realize that chicken fingers and fries are the American fish and chips

Whoa.

Makes tons of sense. [The Cheap Protein] deep fried + the cheap starch. Fish is cheaper if you live on an island and have (relatively) no land.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry Peloton

quote:

Should there be a transaction, it could be significant, given Peloton’s market value of around $8 billion—down sharply from its high around a year ago of some $50 billion.

While Peloton was once a pandemic darling as homebound customers ordered its pricey exercise equipment that pairs with virtual classes, its stock closed Friday at $24.60, below its September 2019 IPO price of $29, following a slowdown in its once-torrid growth.

I’ve said it before but the pandemic saved them but they still managed to gently caress things up lol.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I was expecting to see a list of assorted Russian airlines and banks in this thread by now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I was expecting to see a list of assorted Russian airlines and banks in this thread by now.

Well 700 and something of Russia’s 900 (ish) fleet of commercial airliners are leased soooo

Expect some repos maybe?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Idk much about finance, but when 2 of your largest companies and one of your big banks get turned into penny stocks overnight, I assume things are not good

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/gazprom-lukoil-and-sberbank-are-now-penny-stocks-as-russian-companies-collapse-in-london-11646227312

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Icon Of Sin posted:

Idk much about finance, but when 2 of your largest companies and one of your big banks get turned into penny stocks overnight, I assume things are not good

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/gazprom-lukoil-and-sberbank-are-now-penny-stocks-as-russian-companies-collapse-in-london-11646227312

Should we be buying the dip?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Should we be buying the dip?

Only if it's French onion or spinach artichoke.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm hearing from my people that 7-layer is holding on strong, so I'd avoid.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

Incorrect, it's the jalapeno artichoke dip from Trader Joe's. :colbert: I'm obsessed with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Amazon is closing all of its physical retail locations (like the Amazon 4 Star stores that had appeared in the last 3 years or so)

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/2/22958745/amazon-book-4-star-pop-up-physical-retail-locations-closing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Incorrect, it's the jalapeno artichoke dip from Trader Joe's. :colbert: I'm obsessed with it.

Hell yes that poo poo is the bomb.

It’s really really good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Amazon is closing all of its physical retail locations (like the Amazon 4 Star stores that had appeared in the last 3 years or so)

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/2/22958745/amazon-book-4-star-pop-up-physical-retail-locations-closing

Obvious in retrospect, 4 stars is underperforming Bezo's target metric of being a 5 star man.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Online Store expands to Physical stores. How could it have gone wrong?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Well 700 and something of Russia’s 900 (ish) fleet of commercial airliners are leased soooo

Expect some repos maybe?

You nailed it.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Roth/status/1499419987047587840

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/jakluge/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Also:

Mortabis posted:

I am not a lawyer, and my lawyer friends are fuzzy on this, but I think under the Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act and the Cape Town Treaty the lessors could be made whole with the frozen assets of the Central Bank of Russia, which are worth hundreds of billions of dollars and located in New York.

Also: they probably only have a few weeks of parts on hand, which is normal. They're cut off from parts and mechanics now. Speaking of leases, the engines may be leased separately. Good luck running an airline when your "make planes go" bits are leased and only serviced in a country you can't fly to.

Also: the Russian made airliner uses sanctioned parts in it's engine, so that's not an end-around to the sanctions.

If these sanctions hold, it will destroy the air travel industry in Russia. https://youtu.be/yrgI4gB5W2o

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dang I can’t believe that the leopards would do this

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But but what about trust in property rights?? * conquers neighbouring country*

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/bayareawriter/status/1501212871920959491

Fun reminder that this is the same company that laid off hundreds last year on a group Zoom call.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Is there anything that mass advertises on podcasts that doesn't end up circling the drain?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Rick posted:

Is there anything that mass advertises on podcasts that doesn't end up circling the drain?

I want to make a "Dollar Shave Club --> hair in the sink --> circling the drain" joke here but I am too dumb and it won't be funny.

In all seriousness, though, I think they'll be around forever. "Cockroaches, Cher, and Dollar Shave Club." How are those Blue Apron/Hello Fresh, etc. type services doing?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I want to make a "Dollar Shave Club --> hair in the sink --> circling the drain" joke here but I am too dumb and it won't be funny.

In all seriousness, though, I think they'll be around forever. "Cockroaches, Cher, and Dollar Shave Club." How are those Blue Apron/Hello Fresh, etc. type services doing?

They still exist. Hello Fresh sends me an email every day and this song plays in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

(I subscribed to them for about a month in 2017)

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Probably not as well as they were during peak pandemic. My friend was subscribed to one of those meal delivery things and once he got 50 or so recipes and knew how they turned out he just started using the grocery store pick up option or instacarting the food since even that was cheaper.

Hello fresh is doing better than before the pandemic, but down from peak pandemic and it looks like its going to continue to slide for a while.

5yr stock graph.

Sekhmnet has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Mar 8, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There were two things I really hated about Hello Fresh, it was waste (package and food), and that everything just sorta tasted the same.

My roommate bought into it for a minute last year, so I can account that the packaging waste is "better," than it was before, but it's still a ton of it.

They literally would give you everything you needed except for salt, pepper, and water. So for one meal you'd get a pile of packets full of things and half of them you wouldn't use the whole thing, so you'd either attempt to save a half-tablespoon of sour cream in a torn open plastic packet, or toss the whole thing. For a lot of those, I just used my already on-hand supply, because I have "southwest seasoning" and "siracha" on hand.

Literally everything is wrapped in plastic of some kind, and this doesn't even account for the enormous weird gel ice packs, and insulation blankets they ship it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As a shut-in, it was too much food for one person.