Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i've eaten at Chipotle exactly twice and both times I was like "taco bell would have been better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Radical posted:

edit: as i wrote that someone who works at blackberry messaged me saying half their team got laid off

:rip:
good

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

City of Tampa posted:

i've eaten at Chipotle exactly twice and both times I was like "taco bell would have been better".

Taco bell is gross shut up

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

vyst posted:

Taco bell is gross shut up

chalupas are legit good, so are those mini crunch wraps

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Radical posted:

i work at amd and can confirm the whole situation would get retarded if this company went under

edit: as i wrote that someone who works at blackberry messaged me saying half their team got laid off

:rip:

Half their team... So one other guy? I won't believe there's still "teams" at BB

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
there needs to be a jalepeno popper-themed fast food restaurant, their gimmick can be all kinds of different stuffed peppers

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Police Automaton posted:

microsoft - their whole business strategy seems to consist of "coming late to the party" "losing momentum" and "alienating long-time partners"

They made $5 billion last quarter. The surface line alone did $1.3 billion in revenue. Microsoft isn't at their 90's early 00's dominance but they will still be here for a long time.
Any company that is taking ~$15 billion a year in profits is not really circling the drain.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah lots of people misunderstanding common phrases ITT

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

City of Tampa posted:

chalupas are legit good, so are those mini crunch wraps

they dont have those ghost pepper grillers anymore though, 0/10

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Police Automaton posted:

microsoft - their whole business strategy seems to consist of "coming late to the party" "losing momentum" and "alienating long-time partners"

but actually a lot of offices like the new Office subscription scheme and Apple is copying Microsoft's surface tablet features? and like 70%+ of PCs and laptops run Windows?

they're doing alright

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Don Tacorleone posted:

Half their team... So one other guy? I won't believe there's still "teams" at BB

My sister bought a BB this year for god know what reason. I bet the guy manning their HQ fell off the chair when the news hit him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishionMailed posted:

but actually a lot of offices like the new Office subscription scheme and Apple is copying Microsoft's surface tablet features? and like 70%+ of PCs and laptops run Windows?

they're doing alright

Last quarter Surface products alone outsold Apple tablets 2:1. And Windows is still at 90%, not to mention Office.

Yeah, they aren't doing too bad.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Microsoft probably did itself a favor in the long run by divesting itself from the the current tech bubble.

I don't think that was at all intentional, but alot of Microsoft execs must sleep easy at night knowing that investors aren't going to start screaming at them because their annual derivative of product A that has over half the market hasn't achieved 3% year on year revenue growth for the 8th consecutive year and is only flat.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I worked at RadioShack for quite some time, and it was debatably worse than my gas station job. I should write a thread about it.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

I worked at RadioShack for quite some time, and it was debatably worse than my gas station job. I should write a thread about it.

How could sleeping at the counter for hours at a time between someone coming in to buy one pack of triple-As every three weeks be that bad

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Agnostalgia posted:

How could sleeping at the counter for hours at a time between someone coming in to buy one pack of triple-As every three weeks be that bad

It was across the street from a massive apartment complex filled with about 2,000 Indian people. I don't know if you've worked retail, but if you have then you already understand why that was problematic.

Also we didn't have a store manager for 7 months and they forced me to do all the managers tasks "temporarily" and didn't compensate my pay at all for doing poo poo that wasn't even technically my job. The entire company is run by a bunch of retards that did in fact make life miserable. It really is worth its own thread because of the sheer volume of bullshit I had to deal with. I ended up quitting after they reduced my hours to 3 hours a week every week until I quit (so they had no unemployment payment issues). Out of spite I came in for 3 months for 3 hours a week just as a "gently caress you". They also couldn't technically fire me due to their very specific policies and poo poo on how customer complaints were handled. Basically some guy called me a loving rear end in a top hat to my face and told me he was going to kill me unprovoked. So I told him to get out of the store or I would call the cops to remove him. That apparently warrants losing my income.

RadioShack crushes dreams

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Windows 98 posted:

It was across the street from a massive apartment complex filled with about 2,000 Indian people. I don't know if you've worked retail, but if you have then you already understand why that was problematic.

Also we didn't have a store manager for 7 months and they forced me to do all the managers tasks "temporarily" and didn't compensate my pay at all for doing poo poo that wasn't even technically my job. The entire company is run by a bunch of retards that did in fact make life miserable. It really is worth its own thread because of the sheer volume of bullshit I had to deal with. I ended up quitting after they reduced my hours to 3 hours a week every week until I quit (so they had no unemployment payment issues). Out of spite I came in for 3 months for 3 hours a week just as a "gently caress you". They also couldn't technically fire me due to their very specific policies and poo poo on how customer complaints were handled. Basically some guy called me a loving rear end in a top hat to my face and told me he was going to kill me unprovoked. So I told him to get out of the store or I would call the cops to remove him. That apparently warrants losing my income.

RadioShack crushes dreams

Sounds like they fulfilled your dream of no longer working at RadioShack at least

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Windows 98 posted:

I ended up quitting after they reduced my hours to 3 hours a week every week until I quit (so they had no unemployment payment issues)

fwiw having your hours cut like that qualifies you for unemployment anyway

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

RIM / blackberry would have remained relevant if they just switched to android like a million years ago

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Happy Bear Suit posted:

RIM / blackberry would have remained relevant if they just switched to android like a million years ago

Or making there phones full touch screen like everyone else instead of waiting like years to finally put one out.

Also I often drive by Blackberries empty rear end buildings. If other tech companies like google hadn't come here too, this city would be like every other southern Ontario shithole.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I miss Bennigan's and their disgustingly delicious Monte Cristo sandwich.

And Roy Rogers apparently only exists at highway rest stops.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I've been to Radio Shack more lately than I ever have been. Why is it so hard to get rosin core solder from brick/mortar stores ><

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Count Freebasie posted:

I miss Bennigan's and their disgustingly delicious Monte Cristo sandwich.

And Roy Rogers apparently only exists at highway rest stops.

Bennys had some bitchin potato soup

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jBrereton posted:

There's hundreds of years of coal left, they should chill out. It's still a lot of energy in a tight little package.

The thing isn't running out of coal it's that nobody wants it anymore except lovely developing countries and it costs a lot of money to move coal half way across the planet.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Arch Coal is the second largest supplier of coal in the US. Peabody Energy is the largest private sector coal company in the world.

A year ago today Arch Coal was worth $117 a share. Today they are filing for bankruptcy and the share price has slowly declined all year to its current price of $0.70 each.

A year ago today Peabody Energy was worth $109.20 a share, and now it is at $4.56. Again, this isn't just because of the overall market meltdown, the price has been declining all year. Revenues + profits are down.

Maybe there's profit to be made in coal still but the coal companies today are fuckkkkkked.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the retarded tech guy who thinks Microsoft, a company with billions in revenue, but little growth, is dying. Seriously what is with tech people in general being allergic to like, delivering a single product or whatever.

You'd never say a small town accounting firm was dying just because they aren't growing, for example

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FishionMailed posted:

Arch Coal is the second largest supplier of coal in the US. Peabody Energy is the largest private sector coal company in the world.

A year ago today Arch Coal was worth $117 a share. Today they are filing for bankruptcy and the share price has slowly declined all year to its current price of $0.70 each.

A year ago today Peabody Energy was worth $109.20 a share, and now it is at $4.56. Again, this isn't just because of the overall market meltdown, the price has been declining all year. Revenues + profits are down.

Maybe there's profit to be made in coal still but the coal companies today are fuckkkkkked.

when we burn coal we burn the fossils and entombed souls of billions of past animals and plants, so good

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm the retarded tech guy who thinks Microsoft, a company with billions in revenue, but little growth, is dying. Seriously what is with tech people in general being allergic to like, delivering a single product or whatever.

You'd never say a small town accounting firm was dying just because they aren't growing, for example

I don't like thing, thing must be failing to make me feel better about it

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Apple

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

vyst posted:

Bennys had some bitchin potato soup

I read that as bitcoin potato soup at first which sounds really unappetizing

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

They closed the one K-Mart in my town and are remodeling it to be a 1/2 K-Mart and 1/2 Hobby Lobby in that building.

We still have two Sears stores in town but their parking lots are always empty I have no idea how even one of them stay open, let alone two of them about 10 minutes apart.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I actually had to go to radio shack today because I needed a proper cable connector.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I actually had to go to radio shack today because I needed a proper cable connector.

I went last week, because I have a desk lamp with a very oddly-specific bulb.

Came out with the bulb, a HAM radio, and a sweet keychain that beeps when you whistle, so I'll never lose my keys again!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Larry Parrish posted:

It's because these companies are public and stockholders poo poo themselves if a company like, say, Apple, isn't completely reinventing the wheel each and every quarter.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Count Freebasie posted:

I went last week, because I have a desk lamp with a very oddly-specific bulb.

Came out with the bulb, a HAM radio, and a sweet keychain that beeps when you whistle, so I'll never lose my keys again!

We're part of the problem.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Boner status: reversed

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

nyyyuuhhheheueehuh

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jastiger posted:

You shut the gently caress up, Shark.

I disagree with your post but agree with your right to say it

FWIW I would probably bang Lena Dunham

Edit: who you love so much

Edit: JASTIGER LOVES LENNNAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Count Freebasie posted:

a sweet keychain that beeps when you whistle, so I'll never lose my keys again!

That would be really annoying if you were a hot babe who walks by construction workers a lot.

Yowza, check out the ganzongas on this broad! [wolf whistle]
*siren goes off in purse*