Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

thathonkey posted:

These places that go get food from restaurants that dont normally deliver seem the most dubious (like zifty) ... That means by the time you get the food that wasnt meant to be takeout it has sat around at the restaurant waiting for the driver, in the driver's car on the way to your house. All for a huge premium!

Some places have local delivery companies (College Delivery is the one here in town where I live) that tend to be better about it than the "disrupting" national services, but I still stick to Which Wich and the pita joint with them for exactly this reason. Everything else tends to be a bit dodgy by the time it gets to me and honestly I could probably cook whatever I was getting in less time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

His mentality is great, and resonates with me - if I ever win the lottery, I'm not buying a new car, I'm buying and restoring a '92 Volvo 940 Turbo, because it's the only car I ever drove and it lasted for loving ever. I had to give it away because I couldn't afford to store it, but I'm pretty sure it's still on the road somewhere in Vermont. God I loved that car.

This but a '90 740 GL. Steel-colored steel with rubber bumpers, I got rear-ended by a garbage truck once and all it got was a little scratch in the back bumper. I only got rid of it because enough mechanical things died (blower motor, Freon, catalytic converter, transmission was on its way out) that at Volvo repair prices it would have cost more to fix it than it was actually worth, but externally that thing was loving indestructible

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Same with the electric side-view-mirrors; some rear end in a top hat smashed one of mine and I had to just put one of those magnifier mirrors over the crack since the mirror itself was non-removable from the whole assembly and I could never find the specific one I needed.

To this day I don't use my passenger side mirror because somehow the mirror bit on the one on my Volvo fell off one summer (stolen? melted off in Texas heat? who loving knows) and I could never find an actual replacement for it, so I just drove it for like six years with no passenger side mirror and got used to it

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

IIRC GameStop also bought/merged with Babbage's and Software Etc, which were the poo poo for late 90s/early 00s PC game purchases because they had the old "7 days, no questions asked, even if it's open" return policy right as CD burners were really becoming a big thing. Also nicer employees and sometimes a better selection. Now every mall in America that had one of each has a million GameStops because god forbid GS ever close a store. There's three of the drat things within two blocks at one of the malls where I used to live; one in the mall, one in a shopping center less than a half mile away, and one inside a Barnes and Noble down the street (Barnes and Noble owned GS until 2004).

Also I'm pretty sure there's a GameStop in a strip mall within a quarter mile of every Walmart in Texas; it's probably just coincidence but it's pretty convenient if you can't remember where the GameStop is.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

reallivedinosaur posted:

Gamestop/ebgames bought funcoland/babbages didn't they?

Technically Babbage's bought Software Etc, then Barnes and Noble bought both Babbage's Etc. and Funco and merged them, then Funco was renamed Gamestop. B&N sold off Gamestop, now containing all the gaming stores in one monster shitpile, in 2004.

e: Gamestop sucked up EBGames a year later, they're still technically their own brand but they're fully owned by GS now.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Beastie posted:

They didn't force it on anyone, but I had plenty of people above me tell me that it would be great if the whole store would tweet about their top holiday gift picks out of the merch and use a specific hashtag.

They also spent an ungodly amount of money on a computer scheduling program that actually cut people's shifts by literal minutes. It was billed as a super efficient way to schedule certain types of employees at rush hours but all it ended up doing is sending both the cafe people on break at the same time.

God I wish we still had an Adventures in Retail thread.

You're in luck!

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

JC Penny is the premier source for White Stag brand elastic wasted comfort fit mom jeans

Mossimo jeans best jeans, also conveniently available at Target to avoid having to go to the mall. They're basically the only ones that fit me the way I like (gently caress women's sizing forever) so I own literally zero pairs of Real Pants that aren't Mossimo

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

TLG James posted:

I'm currently in Alaska, and the door greeters check people's receipts as they leave the store, like a sam's club. Which I didn't even think was actually enforceable at a normal store.

It's not; they tried that in Austin a while ago (at least at a few of the stores) and a few weeks later they'd stopped doing it because nobody actually bothered to stop. Every time I went in for cat food or whatever I saw at least ten people including me breeze past them with a "no thanks", and it's not like they're going to stop you.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Cicis is total garbage tier pizza but it was a buffet and they had the white pizza that was pretty good, plus they had Cruisin' World and Mortal Kombat on the arcade machines in the basement

we had one around the corner from my high school in ~1998 that we all hung out at because of the above

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

two forty posted:

Oh god yes. I bought my fourth one in June after 5 years out of the 240 world. Tracked down the owner of a semi-abandoned 1991 244 and after three months of the occasional text about selling it offered $500 which was clearly more than he expected. Put another 500 or so into it including tires and replacing trim and odds and ends and installing a stereo and doing general maintenance, registered it as an antique and drive it on the weekends. It cleaned up really well, a truly brilliant automobile.

e: mine's an aw70 tho. The 240 collectors world has changed a lot since since 2010 in that everything good got really expensive and some stuff you can't even get anymore.

I have that same love for 740s; I inherited a 1990 740GL in high school when my mother upgraded, and drove the thing into the ground. Everything weird was wrong with that car, but nothing visible or important until the engine finally just gave out in 2006 or so and we just couldn't afford to get it going again. The steel and rubber Flying Brick era of Volvos were loving tanks.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Most supermarkets don't have proper butchers anymore because lol@paying someone to be a proper butcher, but the good ones will at least custom cut meat and have fresh (or at least not repeatedly-refrozen) seafood. HEB in Texas generally has a really good meat department, and even still does the late-night day-old markdowns.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Where do you live? It's literally the opposite here

Here too, the Walgreens/CVS close at or before midnight but the grocery store and Walmart are both 24 hours.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

From what I can see open air malls (aka outlets, not sure if that's a common term) are gangbusters up here in New England. It's biggest purpose is a place to walk around and get fresh air when it isn't Winter, and to score some truly good deals on clothes from Banana or real inventory run offs at more specialized stores. Also massive food court (although most of it is lovely).

They are usually surprisingly short on the groan worthy mall staples like multiple Gamestops and a depressing JC Penney anchor, so I find it a bit more pleasant to be around.

However, just got Prime Student for the wife and I now that I'm talking Evening classes...so we will see how it holds up...

Outlet malls are absolutely a thing down south too, we have one about ten minutes from my house that's one of the biggest in the country (around a million sqft, 350+ stores) - people come from everywhere, including Mexico, just for the drat outlet mall, it's nuts. It's also 100 degrees for about five months straight from May to September and nobody gives a single poo poo, they still descend on the parking lot daily like a swarm of locusts. God forbid it's tax-free weekend, or immediately before a holiday. Fucks up the traffic on absurd levels, and it's I-35 through a college town so it's already pretty poo poo to start with.

The GameStop is on the other side of town, in a Walmart parking lot, because that's how GameStops work in Texas. If they're not three to a mall they're in a strip mall in a Walmart parking lot.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Lol. You live in San Marcos.

Yeah :(

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

I don't remember if it was AYCE but Pizza Inn in the 80s used to have a dine-in and buffet, plus arcade games (gently caress yeah original MK). That was the poo poo when I was a kid.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I you still have it, it regularly goes for $200 that I've seen people shell out without a second thought.

I have almost every RPG released on SNES on cartridge (missing Terranigma and I think one other, by my own admittedly somewhat arbitrary definition of RPG) but I have no boxes/manuals, because I was 12 and what 12-year-old keeps boxes and manuals for 25 years? :( RIP thousands of dollars I could get for them.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

I like Penneys :( But to be fair I mostly go in there for accessories and Sephora and occasionally St. John's Bay pants, which are hella comfy. If Penneys goes under Sephora (at least around here) will have to rent out their own storefront, noooooo

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

shadowvine118 posted:

I work at a Target, and I have been told the AC is controlled somewhere else, but I have also seen controls for AC on the walls. :shrug:

Both Target and Amazon have their own generic line of products, and from what I've seen of both, they're probably of similar quality.

I don't think I've ever bought any Amazon house brand stuff but Target's house brand is surprisingly good. People get thrown off house brands because of Walmart (GV/Member's Mark remind me of generic Class A cigarettes or Beer brand beer at the PX) but Target and HEB have pretty good ones. HEB especially. Lol if you aren't "lucky" enough to live in Texas (please get me out of here, just let me bring an HEB with me)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Confirming that the misspelling at Chinese restaurants is intentional, or at least honest, my boss (first-gen Fujian Chinese immigrant) has very clearly written every piece of copy in the place himself, complete with his own odd brand of English. Nobody would dare ask him to have a native English speaker write them.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Garbage coffee tastes gross. Stop drinking garbage coffee.

I drink my coffee black with no additives.

I do both and drink giant gas station coffees blacker than night, but in fairness the gas station across from work has Gevalia as their "house" coffee and it's actually pretty good until it gets cold.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Eddie Lampert or Elon Musk?

:haw:

:bisonyes:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

The Good Malls in Austin (Barton Creek, Domain/Arboretum, and Lakeline) are still all fully functional last I checked, which is kinda weird. Highland died in 2011, turned into part of Austin Community College, and the good ones are only still alive because they decided to roll with the gentrification. Macy's and Nordstrom as far as the eye can see. (aside: Lakeline has three GameStops within two blocks, including the one inside the mall) I guess you can keep rich people going to an 80s dinosaur of a shopping concept as long as you remind them that noooo, don't worry, the poors won't be able to afford to go too so you won't have to deal with them.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Chicken Doodle posted:

I wonder if this is going to bleed up into Canada? Some of the best shoes I've had are from Payless. I love their Safe-T-Step ones cause they're awesome in icy/slippery weather and they're a fraction of the cost of proper work boots. :ohdear:

Safe-T-Step's women's work boots (Brooke, I think) have been my go-to for years now, they're knockoff Docs with awesome treads and they're hilariously cheap for women's work boots, which are drat near impossible to find in the first place.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Family Dollar is closing 400 stores; but I guess they are owned by Dollar Tree already?

Better that than taking the GameStop option of leaving all the Babbages and EB Games open for years and just changing the branding, ensuring there were two GameStops in every mall and at least one more right outside

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Aw, I have a few things I legit like from there, they're kinda overpriced but decent quality. They have an extremely liberal definition of "pre-distressed" though, there were some pairs that were more hole than pant

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't their liberal licensing policy happen because they refused to give Blizzard the license for a Warhammer RTS in the 90s so they filed the serial numbers off and made Warcraft?

In short, yes

In long, lmao yes

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

I think the thing I have the most trouble understanding is the ironclad belief of Job Creators™ that it's even possible for number to continue going up indefinitely without thought to things like demand, quality or reality. Like, it's just such a blatantly false concept that I legitimately worry about the critical thinking skills of people who are pathologically unable to accept even potentially not making more money every quarter than the one before. It's just sort of surreal.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

value-brand cereal posted:

I can't find the article now, but I swear there was an article discussing how most fast fashion clothes sold at places like H and M, and Forever21, are often cut so that they appear attractive and flattering on the hanger. When they're on a person's body, they're no longer fitting or flattering because, obviously, a person's body is not a thin, 2d object. What you experience could also be chalked up to clothes being made by slave labor, sewn quickly so they meet quotas or get more of already meager paycheck. That's fast fashion baby!

I can't say I'll miss F21. Most of the jewelry was ridiculous stuff you can get for a buck off Aliexpress, if you didn't mind waiting a while. I think I had bought one pair of pants for about 10 bucks. They're long gone now because the fabric was thin as a motherfucker, and tore from regular use.

I generally like H&M's jeans and I've got one pair that's been my absolute favorite for like two years now (I am extremely picky about jeans), but the rest of their stuff is starting to look/feel cheaper and shabbier than even a few years ago. F21 was always cheap trash though, it's always been filed under "cheap skinny high school/college girl poo poo that's not meant to last" for me

Unrelated, I miss Mossimo being Target's house brand, they actually stood up pretty well; what happened to them? Universal Threads is decent though, their jeans have been pretty good so far.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

god the US needs regional buses. I work in the next town over, about 15 miles away, on a major interstate between two major cities and there is not a single bus route that stops in both towns. Considering how many people I know here that work in the myriad other scattered towns around here with 15-20 miles between them, it's astonishing that we haven't managed to come up with a solution.

then again this is :texas: and I'm pretty sure that's just how we roll

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Lambert posted:

I just watch Youtube torrent everything.

there we go

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

We had a Blockbuster and a Hollywood Video within a block of my high school in 98-99, I worked with my future ex-husband at the Hollywood and still own multiple SNES games with PROPERTY OF HOLLYWOOD VIDEO stickers on them from when they did a remodel of another store and we, rear end in a top hat teenagers, raided the poo poo out of it

basically Hollywood Video is responsible for my first marriage and I'm glad it's dead

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

They need a $25 replacement board to become "oh poo poo, we can't trace it anymore guess it's yours now gently caress"

I've been wondering about that actually, we're outside the Austin Scooter Zone but we do have some neat e-bikes I wouldn't mind appropriating

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Anora posted:

Not sure if this counts as circling the drain but jesus, the logical leaps and terrible business practices of Joseph's sugar free cookies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsm0D4upKk

lmao this guy is like Shaun's American anger translator

he's just so loving mad, and I can't blame him at all

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Croatoan posted:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/11/chick-fil-sends-email-national-sandwich-day-forgetting-theyre-closed-sunday/

Also I just ate a Popeyes chicken sandwich and it's better than theirs so gently caress the gay haters.

My work has a Popeye's as well as the restaurant I work at, and the AGM came over to my side yesterday specifically to bitch to me about sandwich day for 15 minutes while I made his patty melt. Then one of the other dudes came by to whine about sandwich day and haul boxes of buns out of our freezer. Sandwich day does not sound fun for Popeye's, though ours is notoriously understaffed so that might explain a lot

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

There was a Big Lots near my old apartment that had the CLOSEOUT/HUGE SALE/EVERYTHING MUST GO or whatever signs up for like five years straight and I'm pretty sure the prices were exactly the same as on the website if not higher, it's extremely dumb

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm 6'8" and at least 50 pounds overweight on top of having a large frame (pull the tape measure as tight as you want, my chest size would be 46" if you peeled me down to the ribcage), and trying to find dress clothing that fits is the only time in my life I've been considered athletic. There's no such thing as a shirt with 39" sleeves and 20" neck, it's a mumu.

If your height and/or weight are more than a standard deviation from average, you just need to get stuff tailored.

holy poo poo you are a large motherfucker

my husband's three inches shorter but built the same way (including the extra pounds) and finding clothes for him is a loving nightmare. Dickies seem to work well but dress clothes are a nightmare.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I try so hard to understand the appeal of those things I really want to get it why people spend money on them but it's a complete mystery to me. Just some real stupid poo poo.

BRAND understand my love for THING and how I can express it in the most materialistic possible way! I must give them $20 for a piece of molded plastic to show all my friends how much I love THING!

*proceeds to have entire personality based around Kelly Kapowski*

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

I'm really glad I'm back to work so I can just wear one of five identical Walmart fitted black shirts and one of three identical pairs of black Dickies and there's no choice involved

I'm small and clothes actually fit but I'm still built weird and things never quite look as cute as I think they will, so I'm stubborn as poo poo about trying things on first. Bras are right out, my three-year-old sports bras are super comfy and nothing else is, fight me

also I am 40 goddamn years old and will never understand how women's sizes are so loving arbitrary. I mean, I do logically understand but it's so loving stupid that I don't want to. Dickies are a size 2, good jeans are a 27, swimsuit is a M, and an old skirt in a juniors 9 still fits. :iiam:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Luby's tastes like childhood because we used to go there after church when I was a kid, but honestly I didn't know they were still a thing since I haven't really been there in 25-30 years

want me some of that mac and cheese and fried fish now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

the only cruise I ever went on was to Italy and Greece when I was 15 and I spent the whole time getting hilariously teenage-white-girl-drunk

and that's how I got kicked out of catholic school