Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Boner status: reversed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

XYZ posted:

They could pull a Canada Post, which is on it's way to eliminating door-to-door delivery nationwide in favour of communal mailboxes.

Not sure it would ever catch on nationwide, but this is the standard for a lot of new communities now, especially condos.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I'm not sure if it's still true, but in the height of the economic shitstorm a few years ago, marginal businesses couldn't get financing from banks, so they would sign a faustian bargain with Groupon in place of financing because Groupon would give them cash up front. In a lot of cases, the businesses were pretty badly hosed by the terms (like Groupon paid them $1,000 for $2,500 worth of pizzas), and the ones that did tracking found almost zero repeat business from the coupons.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Nevermind. Energy is wacky right now.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

uh, I don't know if you've heard, but Chipotle recently announced they will be making sure all of their ingredients are GMO-free. Is McDonald's GMO-free?

They should work on rear end-destroying-microbe-free first.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Even though people love to poo poo on them, I've never had anything but great phone and customer service from Verizon. I live a bit out in the boonies and theirs is the only reliable network out here.

I've had my former phone (Galaxy s3) replaced by verizon twice after its power button broke, and within 24 hours had a new phone at my door. Both times, while on the line with customer service, I asked them if there were any new offers they could apply to my plan, and both times my bill got lowered.

My only problem with them wasn't their fault, and is apropos to this thread. I got one of those fancy "made by you" customized Motorola Droid Turbos (even though I swore to never buy a moto phone years ago) before xmas and the goddamn thing's battery stopped wanting to charge after about 3 weeks. Since it was a custom one, it was sent directly from Motorola, so I had to deal with their customer service, not Verizon's. They wanted to charge me $25 for an overnight phone swap, even though I needed one because my less-than-a-month-old battery was dead. I told them to go gently caress themselves, hit up Verizon, and they took that phone back and hooked me up with a new LG at the store within an hour.

I don't get how Motorola is still in business in a world of samsung, apple, LG, and to a lesser extent HTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Online reviews in general should be circling the drain.

It seems like such a good idea, but just about all of them are polluted by idiots who can't figure out how a product/service is supposed to work, obvious shill reviews, sour grapes reviews, and "received this product at a discount to provide an impartial review" reviews. If you've got a big enough number of reviews for a single thing, you can kinda suss out a trend, but even then, you still need to read for particulars.

If you go to sites that specialize in something (like for example, looking at electronic reviews on Newegg vs Amazon or Best Buy) they're still a bit useful because you tend to avoid the "this cable modem doesn't work with my DSL service" one star reviews.

I wonder if anyone is working on something like "certified expertise" for reviewers that gives people who know what the gently caress they're talking about more weight.

edit: I left out poo poo like ebay where it's now extremely difficult to leave a negative review for a seller/buyer, but easy as pie to leave a positive.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 23, 2016