Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Sega's doing quite well, too. They sensed where things are going, and have slowly shifted towards western developers. They've really gone in on the PC market especially, making stuff like the Total War games, they've been porting basically every game you could want from them to it, and they've got Football Manager as sort of a no-nonsense constant moneymaker. They're really good at social media, too, especially with Sonic.

Basically Sega should be a lesson to all major developers, especially Japanese ones, in handling a shifting market properly. Which is surprising, given that until about ten years ago they were gaming's greatest lesson in 'what not to do'. The Great Sonic Crash of '06 caused them to do a stellar job in getting their poo poo together.

I'm nothing short of shocked they survived after the Dreamcast got hosed by the PS2/Xbox. Like, they did some good business to stay alive after that poo poo went down. I'd love to see them make a steam-console or something soon; maybe shaped like one of their old systems or even the dreamcast, but with steambox internals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Not really circling the drain, but it'll be a tough year for US railroads. A huge portion of their income came from transporting coal, and we all know what's happening there. I work for a major east coast railroad and their planning big layoffs, almost certainly from the coal department. I work in intermodal (shipping containers) and we didn't do too well either, but will probably be okay.

Happening where? What? Coal?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Just heard thr This American Life bit about. L Bean and their forever return policy. They are doing fine but its pretty crazy you can return 15 year old merch.

Arei has the same thing. I had a jansport backpack between the ages of 12 and 23 or so and when the bottom finally gave out my mom tracked down the old receipt and I got full credit for a replacement. The clerk looked at me weird, though. Later I find out they do these sales where they triage all the saleable returns and sell 'em at a markdown without the return policy. Smart, that way they get rid of the returns and make some profit on them. Usually people do returns before their thing gets as ratty as my bag was, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Isn't it just "REI"? Or am I crazy? :spergin:

wait the tree isn't an A?? MY LIFE IS A loving LIE

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Best mixed use is when there's a shop with apartments over it on a regular city street. One of the local delis in my neighborhood was ran by a guy who lived in an apartment on top and he loved it because his commute was walking down a flight of stairs. Then he fell down the flight of stairs and died and it got bulldozed and it was a Wendy's but the Wendy's went out of business and crackheads moved in and burnt it down and now it's just a vacant lot.

I guess my point is walk down stairs carefully or your house/shop will get bulldozed and then replaced by a Wendy's and burnt down.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The old concept of a DJ actually, like, curating a playlist and poo poo is done. There was a late-night guy on KLOS Classic Rock in LA that used to actually create a themed playlist (was it Jim Ladd?) with an experimental night where the tracks blended together and whatever. They got rid of him around 2010 and as far as I can tell they now have an iPod folder with "rock" set to random play because Nirvana, Incubus and The Eagles totally belong together.

Steve Jones (formerly of the Sex Pistols) has a show on KLOS that's kinda like that; he tends to organize around a theme. He also tends to bring on musicians and jam with them live on the air. AFAIK it's KLOS's highest rated show. He's more constrained than he used to be, when he was on Indie 103.1 he would literally play whatever the gently caress he wanted, including records, tapes, and CDs he brought with him from his home. Had one hell of a collection of B-sides. Honestly the show seems to have lost a little of it's energy but I tune in whenever I'm in the car at noon, then switch back to Pandora right after he's done.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've never seen a chimp detonate a lawn mower with dynamite before.

A clear demonstration of the superiority of H. S. Sapiens, if you ask me

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Lol jesus christ. Its 2016 and people cant read well enough for manufacturing jobs. That entire region needs to be put on probation.

If that happened lowtax wouldn't be able to post, I think. Isn't he in like Missouri or Missoula or Thailand? One of those southern states.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

U.S. automakers don't make money off small cars so there's no room to discount even with cheaper labor. Small cars are mostly sold to boost CAFE numbers so they can keep selling high margin SUV's and trucks.

It's probably changing since the oil shocks. Ford in particular has been moving away from SUV's and towards smaller cars. But they still make their money off larger vehicles.

Is ford doing ok? I was pretty shocked when I found out they'd discontinued Econolines in 2015.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

In Los Angeles county there are three mattress chains that I hear advertising on the radio on the reg. I buy all my mattresses used on Craigslist though. Take that, Big Mattress

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

What I really want is a return of the fullsized station wagon. Being able to haul a 12' kayak on something where I only have to lift it to shoulder height would be amazing.

early-2000s subarus come pretty close to that. I love mine. Thing's almost as much of a tank as my '91 accord, moves OK on the freeway, and hauled 1/2 ton of my worldly possessions from Idaho to California a year. It's got a bike rack and a roof pod, but I've taken both of them off to haul my grandma's 10' canoe to Big Bear and back (this was a bad idea; big bear lake is nearly empty because our water supply is circling the drain (really [we're all going to die])).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Would be a good space for an indoor sports center. Like paintball or skate parks or something. Then when those go under it could be turned into a park!

A friend of mine is looking at an abandoned Albertsons to use as studio/event space. Only problem is they have a security guard in the parking lot now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

They don't need to buy it, but since so much of the internet is controlled by them, Amazon, Verizon/Yahoo, and Facebook, it would certainly help their cause. And that cause is "turning the internet from a marketplace of infinite ideas into just another industry controlled by a few conglomerates."

Google isn't circling the drain but "Don't be evil" sure is.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Nearly all credit unions are part of the same ATM network with 30,000 machines so if you are a member of a CU, you can just hit up whatever random CU ATM is close to you and not pay any transaction fee.

7-11 has ATMS that connect to a few different CU networks, too.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ryonguy posted:

a ... mattress ... that literally fucks me up the rear end daily

First dude to invent this will be a loving billionaire.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

PYF accts payable strategies. That is the new name for this thread.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

This drove car design towards some strange goals, and benefited nobody.

Speaking as a guy who knows little about cars, what were these design goals?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's actually kinda already in, but that was never Abercrombie's look. They were more a late 90s/early 00s frat and sorority kid look. Lots of faded denim and lace-trimmed tank tops.

I buy all my clothes at Big Lots, are they still doing okay?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Affordable housing.

They'd probably rather have a dead mall filled with squatters

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The company that employs me is circling the drain: it's a small company, the GM just put in his 2 weeks and no one likes the owner. Everybody but me is planning to quit when the boss does, and with that sudden loss we'll be completely unable to service our clients. I give it maybe two months before we lose everything, at which point I'm going to buy as much of our gear as possible and hang out my own shingle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Neon Noodle posted:

I think back fondly to my subscription to PC Gamer and I feel extremely old. :allears:

Where have you gone, Coconut Monkey? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you
woo woo woo

my favorite thing about them was the weird blurbs they'd slip onto the very back page. It was like reading fyad posts on a magazine

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

It seemed to only exist to gently caress over tourists, because as a local, standard procedure was to stick your head in the cab, tell the guy where you were are going, ask how much it would be, and then haggle them down from there.

Things that gently caress over tourists are good, though. Locals only, maaaaaaan.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's a practical thing. That way smoke from my marihuana cigarette doesn't get stuck in the brim and give me the old stank hat.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ofecks posted:

I'm sorry. :( I have horrible social anxiety, it's embarrassing to use a SNAP card, and no one but me seems to know how to bag my groceries properly. Using self-checkouts reduce or eliminate all of those concerns. My town recently had a Wegman's open, and one of the reasons I do not shop there is because their self-checkouts are express-only.

There's a delicious irony in someone using SNAP in a way that leads to further unemployment.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Doesn't sears also have some kind of weird corporate facebook thing that employees HAVE to post in? I read something like that a while back.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Spazzle posted:

I entertain myself by hanging out in my cyberlounge with goons.

I like to sit in a dark garage and wank, basically the same idea

Now there's a company that must be in good straits: kleenex.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Azathoth posted:

It's definitely a race to the bottom on ticket prices, and that's degraded service and comfort to such a degree that I know people who would rather do a marathon drive across country than fly, even when money is not an issue.

Oh yeah, I used to prefer driving between Boise and LA to flying, even at the cost of an extra $100 in gas and whatever wear and tear on my car. I'd only do it if I could find some passengers to split the gas cost, but I really preferred that 18-hour drive through barren desert to a 2-hour flight.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

American air travel is fine if you get drunk first. My buddy is a pilot for Southwest and that's how he gets through the day.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Arguing in objective terms about comedy, though a core staple of the internet and American pop culture, is still dumb.

We can agree that everything Steve Martin does is solid gold, right?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

havalux posted:

Bowfinger was underrated.

I had it on video CD. How's that for obsolete technology? It had subtitles in that really weird squiggly southeast asian language. One of the ones with a lot of coups.

e: wrong thread. Uh, I sure bet those companies that produced VCDs are feelin' the hurt right now.

e2: god damnit.

Grand Prize Winner has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Apr 14, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

What's this thread about? Snl or norm?

Comic books. Keep up with the times, grampa.

e: What about Hellblazer? That's good, right? Please say Hellblazer is good.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Are they unattractive?

If you insist on an attractive driver you're going to wait a lot longer

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

They own Vons now, and Vons makes them more money than their own stores (because Vons is an overpriced garbage store and bad and I hate it)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I wish there were Wincos out in LA. The only one in town is a long drive for me.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

brugroffil posted:

I go to the store to find the style I want and check out the overall fit, but I'm tall and skinny so most places don't carry the "tall" sizes on the shelf or 32-36 pants. That means I end up ordering those sizes online usually, sometimes right when I'm at the store.

How tall, exactly? I had a 7' tall friend back in school and always wondered how he got his clothes.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does this mean that the hit 90's comedy Mallrats will be unrelatable to the next generation?! Will my niece and nephew sit down to watch it and ask me, "Uncle Solice, why are those people just sitting in that weird looking airport?"

Don't worry, you'll alienate your siblings before they have children, or at the very least before their children learn to talk.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I hope they still get the "like in the back of a volkswagen?" joke

I doubt it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

VVV: ken m is a national treasure, mi amigo

Grand Prize Winner has a new favorite as of 02:34 on May 12, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the last time I flew Spirit they charged us an additional $5 per seatbelt and made the flight attendants push the plane so they didn't have to pay for the tractor

e: every seat had a stainless steel dildo built in, which wasn't a dealbreaker but i wish they cleaned them between flights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Boise Mall still has a store wait list. Pretty sure we're just stuck 20yr behind. Like 60 socially.

Hey, downtown and the North End are only like 30 years behind. It's gotten better since the Hill People raids stopped.