Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bonzo posted:

Drove past as Chapters today and the parking lot was full. Then again it was -15 outside.

Yeah, mine had a full lot too. I'm sure they are super pissed that the Panera is using all their parking spots....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Happening where? What? Coal?

China actually buys a lot of foreign coal, but they are going through economic troubles now. At the same time American coal plants are facing increased regulation and many are being forced to shut down. The historically low price of natural gas isn't helping either, with a lot of coal plants converting to gas.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think that MCDonalds' meat is the problem, though its what other people seem to focus on in their complaints. Its that the toppings are crap. A real slice of tomato would go a long long way towards making people forget about how much less than a quarter of a pound of meat they are actually getting in their quarter pounder. As is, McDonalds has to load up on the (also disgusting) sauces in order to hide the sorry state of their lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BigBoss posted:

Relatively good return policy, coupled with a robust online experience and in store, appluance sales, and on the spot price matching has made Best Buy a decent place to shop. I just spent a few grand there and it went great. Cheaper than Amazon, I got to see the products before I bought them, and I had the stuff right away. Best Buy is profitable and it's not due to arg nerdrage monster cables. It's because they offer good products, good prices, and a good experience.

and Amiibos

edit: Speaking of companies that are probably circling the drain. I went to Office Depot the other day looking for an office styled trashcan and I swear to God they didn't have one. All you guys needed was one sku to put next to the chairs, I guarantee it would sell reliably.

Cliff Racer has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Feb 28, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lmao it's 2016 which one of you losers still willingly listen to the radio I mean really

I mean I did in the 90s because there wasn't any other alternative and even then it sucked. Even in a population dense area your options are always oldies, a rock station, and that rock station with the zany host(s). Even then I knew it sucked and the commercials were obnoxious and way too frequent

Or I guess you guys love the sick pranks they pull on people's spouses in the AM

Your "dense population area" has significantly worse selection than south central Pennsylvania. Congratulations on living in Duluth, I guess.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

Duluth actually has The Current, a listener supported station with zero ads, a ridiculously wide selection of music, and excellent informative DJs, so I'm going to say that's false too. Most areas have at least one or two decent-to-excellent radio stations until you get to the 400 mile highways where you see maybe one or two other cars out west.

We have one as well, piped in from Philly, and a pretty good NPR affiliate due to the state government connection, a classical/jazz publicly funded station of questionable quality and lots of low service area college stations. I actually feared that threre'd be something in Duluth when making the joke due to the whole Minnesota thing but whatever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tricky D posted:

"safe for little ears"

Positive, Caring KLOVE!

Alt: Froggy 99

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I totally intended to own my first "good" car, a decade+ old 2002 Accord, until it became a classic car. The crash sort of got in the way of that...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, as far as I am aware its only an online thing (so far) so still no reason to actually visit a Gamestop when eBay exists and is better for that sort of thing.

Not sure of the point of game rentals in most cases either, wait a year and in most cases it will be down to five dollars used to own it forever. Just in case you end up actually liking the thing, you know.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I work in a warehouse!

And its not at all like that one!

edit: Also, in the four years since that article has been published Amazon was sued for their no pay while in the scanner policy and lost, so at least that never happens anymore.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

two forty posted:

that stupid building is also on the tennessee drivers' license, of which one is in my pocket now.

still, better than Knoxville's landmark 80s-tastic sunsphere, most famously a wig shop Nelson knocks down in a Simpsons episode (s7, best season) which is also on the license.

REI is cool because the guys at the knox one don't give a gently caress when i ask for a road or mountain bike brake cable and sell it to me for $3 without asking me questions. they are also knowledgeable and helpful but don't ask annoying questions like "what are you working on" so it's far less irritating and cheaper than a bike shop, thus i give them my money for small parts (and i buy a lot of brake cables.) i hope all local bike shops go out of business. it seems like amazon and company are already doing a great job killing them. i for one could not be happier.

edit: bike shops are awful to deal with and i cannot imagine spending actual money at one. last time i was near one it was for a recall of defective Shimano cranks last fall and they tried to ransom the (decent but low end) bike back to me when shimano already paid them for the labor and sent them the parts. gently caress that. eventually i bitched enough and they begrudgingly gave it back to me.

I work for a group that sells to these people and hearing this is a breath of fresh air after all the farting about LBSes I have to deal with.

edit: The best part is covering the MRSPs on all the products because the LBSes sell them for more.

Cliff Racer has a new favorite as of 04:12 on May 7, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

But if the guy is legit stealing, isn't that still a win for the store? Aren't you allowed to use physical (not lethal) force to prevent a theft?

And if the employee gets injured while doing it the store might end up paying thousands of dollars. To do what? Stop the guy stealing twenty dollar pants?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Didn't at least one of the two biggest fracking companies declare bankruptcy earlier this year? There's no way 3 dollars is accurate, even 30 is pushing it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

haha you should check out the veep silicon valley episode they have some bits about ping pong et al

Also despite being like two years old its already out of date due to the Yahoo joke!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Harrisburg's malls are all doing fine except for the inner city one, which honestly was never actually successful in the first place and the one that got hit by white flight (though it also was never doing great and shuffled through a whole bunch of anchor tenants over the years.) However there's been a real resurgence in the white flight mall, S&C (Books A Million but for hipsters, anime fans and people who want retro video games) moved in and other nerd type places seem to be doing well. Hair/nail salons, dollar general competitors and empty store fronts are still all present but the place is looking better than it has in a decade.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, it was much worse than that two years ago! Funny that the S&C (which occupies a mid-sized space) is so much better at drawing in customers for the mall than the Outdoor World is. Don't get me wrong, OW gets people in its doors, but practically none of them venture out into the rest of the mall and the malls typical patrons don't seem to take a visit to it either.

I'm eagerly waiting to find out if the mall's Macy's survives. I am hoping it does and, as its the only Macy's in this area, don't think it has too much to worry about. I was in there buying socks a few months ago and it wasn't a ghost town so ehh, it might make it. Rent has to be dirt cheap in that place too.

edit: Realistically speaking a food court only really needs one place you are okay eating at and with a Taco Bell, McDonalds and chinese place it should do for most people's needs. Never mind the fact that there's like six or seven empty locations.

edit: The only thing I regret is that it had a massive play area with like Sesame Street ball tosses and stuff in the basement when I was a kid and thats now all mall offices/abandoned. There's a smaller arcade tucked into a corner of the second floor with some good machines (Rival Schools!) but I feel like half the stuff is shut down whenever I venture into it.

Cliff Racer has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Aug 12, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Citizen Tayne posted:

Capitalist guy: Capitalism is cool because people who don't like a thing can vote with their dollars
Customer: Company X is hosed up and cheating you
capitalist guy: WELCOME TO CAPITALISM! WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? HOW LONG WILL YOU BE STAYING?

Except that in places like NYC, which you support, you aren't allowing people a chance to vote with their dollars. I vote with mine and rarely go to most of those stores because they don't have the products I buy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So this thread convinced me to check out the Kmart I used to visit as a child. There were people other than me and the employees there, which immediately puts it above Office Depot. Actually, there were quite a few of them there, not enough to fill the lot or anything but definitely more than I expected. The lighting hasn't changed since I was a child, think eighties era overhead lights, quite nostalgic. What wasn't nostalgic was the smell that permeated the store. It was half damp and half cleaning supplies. I remember the garden section used to be great, back when its only competition was Home Depot. Now its so tiny it barely exists and other than like three cacti there weren't even any actual plants in it. The electronics section was even worse. They had TVs but none were turned on, no games or computers and the DVD section looked more like what you'd find at a Goodwill or bookstore than what you'd find at a Walmart or Best Buy. Back in the day there was a pizza store in there by the checkout but there was not now. I only noticed one area of cleared out, open, shelves so I guess they improved that over the past few years. Also, they sell groceries now, which is a big change from when I was a kid.

I didn't buy anything, so I guess you failed anyway Kmart.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RandomPauI posted:

Are the sizes of cough drops shrinking in general or is it just at Wal-Mart? I've bought halls few months back at rite aid and they were normal sized, but the Wal-Mart halls are less than half the size

You're slowly turning into Donald Trump.

edit: Ahh poo poo, that would make the cough drops bigger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well I think everyone on this page can agree that plat is for losers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

as someone who worked at barnes and noble for 8 years (in receiving luckily) they deserve to crash and burn.

The person lifting boxes full of books was considered the lucky one, what a hell that must have been.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

What about it owns that couldn't be accomplished better by other shopping options?

Cheap mozzarella sticks? Thats the only reason I ever go to mine.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think its likely that changing fashion trends are playing a role as well. Like wearing lots of jewelry was acceptable, if not required, way back when. Nowadays I think its always considered to be super trashy, no matter how much the jewels cost. There's also plastic surgery these days and many people probably think that that gives you better value for money than a fancy necklace does.

Among younger people there's also the increased usage of "non-jeweled" jewelry that you don't exactly buy at Kay. Pretty sure that that stuff costs a lot less too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheGoatTrick posted:

The people who owned Best got bored with the whole running a store thing and got an artist to start designing the buildings. In Richmond, it resulted in this.

That's a photo from when the store was open; it only looks to have been abandoned for decades.

Some of the stores ended up looking pretty interesting, though.

All of them are shown here: http://www.siteenvirodesign.com/content/best-products

Well I can definitely see why they didn't go with that parking lot idea. Would only take one dipshit trying to park on one of the 45 degree angle spots to ruin it for everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, Houston is still a desirable city to live in. If cost of business gets low enough that space will be filled by some other kind of white collar work. People who built it might never see the money they wanted though.