Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

social vegan posted:

hank's turd house on fifth is probably not doing so hot because nobody wants to buy turds

loving LOLing at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

Twitter announced changes this week that immediately resulted in a fall to record lows and a panicked sell-off that looks just like a body hitting the pavement. It's back up a bit today, but it's been trending down for months and nobody has anything good to say about it. Their idiot CEO is "urging patience".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...price/84863100/

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

PallasAthene posted:

I think all those games are just to keep people from standing there silently with a beer in one hand and their other hand in their pocket. If your friends are so boring that you can't just have fun talking and drinking, why bother having them over?

It's sort of like dominoes or cards you don't do it because the game is fun, you do it because you and your friends like to talk poo poo and be competitive.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

FYI folks, loss prevention in those type of stores at that shoestring level is probably way more interested in busting employees than customers. I had a buddy who got caught stealing from Circuit City while he worked there back in the 90s. They called him into the office, threatened him with the cops, and eventually he relented into letting them search his house (wtf?). They ended up robbing him in the end, because once their loss prevention goons got into his house they just took everything Circuit City ever stocked.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

I can't remember what thread it was in, but some goon wanted to use all his money and I think borrow more to buy into oil at something like 60 bucks a barrel while it was tanking and his wife was desperately trying to talk him out of it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

Moridin920 posted:

if only life were like an MMO, with unlimited skilled jobs available for all

Even there assholes corner and manipulate the market.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

Professor Shark posted:

They would have just hosed it up somehow

They overpaid through the nose for Tumblr, so you're probably right.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

I work for the government and they routinely hire consultants to try and streamline our production. The funny thing though, is that we're in the business of fixing 30 year old military airplanes. What happens is that some company out in the private sector has a contract with one of these consulting companies that teaches some brain-dead rah-rah corporate culture poo poo like AIRSPEED or SIX SIGMA or PINDAREN or whatever the gently caress the hot poo poo is at the moment. The corporations actually get finished with the consultants before their contract is up, then sell the remainder of it to the government for a "discount". If you know anything about defense contracting you can imagine how that whole thing works out financially.

Anyway, us regular guys get put in these poo poo classes run by corporate snake-handlers who all have some neat poo poo to show you as a parlor trick with some legos or marbles or whatever about efficiency and teamwork and the value of blah blah blah. It's extremely dumbed down, mildly insulting, and operates completely on the assumption that you're running a clean assembly line with the same process over and over again. No accounting for the variety and scope of work that comes with working on 30 year old jets, just a never-ending parade of these true-believer assholes doing their best to bash that square peg into a round hole for that sweet government tit money. I've worked there over 12 years and this happens about once every 2 years.

One of my favorite things they do is take everyone into a room and ask them what their barriers are to getting their job done, and promise not to tell management who said what. This is a complete poo poo show because you have everyone in there from support to mechanics to financial and most of them have the pettiest loving complaints. You get to go through about 4 or 5 "Janice won't stop looking at me and putting her hands on my desk" complaints before you get to 1 guy with an actual meaningful issue. Then, as the snake handlers realize they can't apply their stupid loving model directly to that problem, the Janice people keep interjecting with their bullshit and it melts down into chaos. Then the consultants leave and go tell management everything that was said and who said it. I've gotten my rear end chewed specifically for speaking up in one of those events early on in my career when I was told I would remain anonymous. Now me and the rest of the people familiar with that bullshit all just clam up, nod our heads and say as little as possible and let the Janice complainers have the whole thing to themselves. The government pays millions for this.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

Solar companies must be nearing the end of their run because I get 3-4 calls a day from them on my cell phone and I rent a loving apartment.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

blackmet posted:

Cherry Creek Mall, Denver's most upscale mall, has decided to kill itself by charging for parking:

http://www.9news.com/mb/news/local/...rking/279100618

Want to spend a few hours leisurely walking the mall, have a nice meal, pick up some clothes? Could cost you up to $16!

The only unique thing they have to the area is Neiman Marcus. Nordstrom has larger locations with free parking at 2 other malls. Macy's is everywhere.

I give it 5 years to go from major success to being torn down to make way for an ugly apartment complex.

Parking is at an overpriced premium in downtown San Diego, but the central mall, Horton Plaza, still will let you park there for something like 4 hours for free if you just run their ticket through the validation machine in the center of the mall.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

ProperCoochie posted:

May I ask how Subway got so huge? I know they're like one of the top 5 biggest fast food places in the world, but just how did they pop up everywhere? Especially in a place like NYC where there is a kick-rear end deli every other block.

5 bucks for a foot long sandwich you can eat for 2 meals if you aren't a pig and a general upswing into healthier eating in the US or at least the decline of fast food. Compared to burger joints, Subway has a lot more fresh greens on the menu for about the same price. Kick rear end delis are nice, but while more expensive are usually super meat and bread heavy in their portions as well.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

Xaris posted:

they don't really even do $5 footlongs anymore, but otherwise thats true. though i'd have put "fresh" greens in quotes because its always sad translucent wilted garbage but i guess it will vary by location.

They have six dollar ones now and yeah the greens aren't THAT fresh, but it fuckin' beats stuffing a Big Mac down your gullet by a mile.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Quick googling suggests that a six inch cold cut is more or less on par with a bug mac in calories. I think the sub is slightly more food, but my only recent Subway experience is at airports and I assume their sad little subs are not the norm across the chain.

It depends on what you get and how much veggies, etc. Also factor into the equation that nobody walks out of McDonalds without fries.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Well, more veggies will just add more calories and I guess some small amount of fiber and vitamins.

And while I will admit to maybe a quarterly Bigmac after a particularly long hike, I never get the fries. The beef tallow was the only thing they had going for them and without that they are sad sad things. And really I think If I just had a little packet of Russian dressing to suck on, I could skip the burger. That poo poo is so good, no idea why it never became a general burg condiment.

I'm like 90% sure McDonalds has nicotine or some poo poo in their food.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

1500quidporsche posted:

I have to disagree with the franchise owners here, I can't really say the idea of trying to move into the premium fast food segment is a bad idea. Every success story in fast food from the past decade has been taking the concept upmarket and at the other end its gotten ridiculously cutthroat, you aren't going to be making record profits with a dollar menu being a core part of your business. I do think they have to decide exactly what they want to be, you can't be a starbucks, high end five guys and "artisan sandwich shop" all rolled into one. Its going to take some pain up front but they're trying to secure the long term value of the brand.

Their artisan burgers are loving garbage though and lol at any franchisee that had to pay 100k plus for the equipment. It'll be gone in less than 5 years, nobody goes to McD's for a salsa avocado burger.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

CubanMissile posted:

From what I've been told it's not magic. Apparently there's a big office building somewhere filled with real estate professionals who's job is too decide where the next Starbucks goes and how many people are going to go to it. People would always joke that when a Starbucks moves in the neighborhood is going to be gentrified. It's true, but not because Starbucks made it happen or anything. I guess their people are so good at forecasting real estate trends that they're always the first people there. No idea if that's true but it seems plausible.

My buddy works for Nielsen and this is basically what they do. Take consumer data for an area, see what's underserved or ready for an expansion, and sell it to other corporations. No big-name retail place is just plopping down stores randomly, even Starbucks. There's a shitload of planning and data examination they do before they jump in.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

My dad is an Indiana motorhead and was a Chevy dude to the bone. He bought a 1968 Camaro Z28 brand new the year it came out and loved it. He ordered a Blazer directly from the factory in the 70s exactly the way he wanted it and it was such a piece of poo poo he swore off Chevy forever and spent the next 30 years driving Volkswagens and Subarus.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

two forty posted:

Thank you to whoever posted the regular car reviews, I have spent most of my free time in the past 24 hours watching them.

My dad was a longtime Ford guy before he bought his first Volvo in the 80s. His first car was a Corvair convertible that was so rusty he cracked the frame going over a railroad track, and to this day he'll see rust on a GM car and say something about "Body by Fisher." He drove Fords for a while after that but now that he's driven imports for 30+ years he'll probably never buy an American car again, and I grew up in imports and seeing and hearing that domestics are crap. So no matter how good Ford or GM makes a car, part of me just knows you can do better. Having owned "import" (my Honda was built in Ohio) cars as long as I've had my license, why take the gamble? Why pay a premium for a car made by lazy-rear end UAW workers? I have been to the Rouge plant in Dearborn and it does not inspire a whole lot of confidence watching them work.

The issues on the Blazer were less workmanship and more quality of materials. Everything loving broke on that thing within 5 years of buying it and it spent the next 30 in the garage as his pipe dream retirement project until he finally sold it to the scrap yard. He couldn't believe what a dip in quality there had been in 10 years. He did buy a Plymouth Grand Voyager in 1990 that I drove until it died, but we had at least 10 other cars that were either VWs or Subarus.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

Bonzo posted:

early 80s malls were awesome because you had arcades and independent record stores. Stores back then had good back catalogs, knowledge staff, and half the store wasn't devoted to movies, cartoons, and over stock from ThinkGeek.

Even better if your mall had a movie theater. The opening scene in Fast Times At Ridgemont High is a perfect example of how things used to look.

I don't know what happened in the late 80s but all the malls in my town got sketchier and more run down. They all remodeled by tearing out the theater and replacing it with at department store. All the restaurants were shut down and a lovely food courts were added but it was too late.

Arcade games were on their way out and most machines now cost 50 cents to play unless you could find a Galaga stuck all the way in the back.

Remember when Software Etc. actually had a pile of poo poo you'd never heard of and you could play Russian Roulette with your 60 dollar computer game after a long day going deaf in the Arcade playing Killer Instinct while sucking down Orange Julius? Also if you were an older grognard the bookstore would have about a billion AD&D books and supplements to read through.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

canyoneer posted:

Warner Brothers Stores. A chain of stores devoted to a cast of cartoon characters that were last culturally relevant in the 1960's that enjoyed a recent, short-lived surge in popularity
The 90's were weird, man.

Totally understandable.
*commutes to work in heavy traffic driving a 400 horsepower sports car*

All those WB characters were still shown on network TV before and after school well into the 90s. I was born in 79 and I guarantee you I've seen every loving Looney Tunes cartoon ever made and probably every Tom and Jerry as well just from regular TV watching during peak kid times. The reboot of them into gangster poses for dumbshit trash people to wear in XXXXXL is actually what finally killed them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames

Morbid Hound

RandomPauI posted:

Do you remember the black and white ones? Also, I forgot if they took the blatantly racist cartoons out of rotation or not.

I used to love the Song of the South as a kid and Hekyll and Jekyll were still in rotation in the 80s and early 90s.