Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wish Comcast were circling the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cash Cab reruns are going to be on GSN in a few weeks :shrug:

I visited Sears again. I don't know what's worse - an unkempt store full of stuff to buy that you have to dig through (last visit) or a store that looks like someone forgot to order anything to sell (current visit).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went to Penney's for the first time in years and was actually impressed at how nice it was. Then I started shopping and realized they intentionally keep a minimal number of items out so that it doesn't look and feel cluttered (looking at you Kohls). It works, but it also means that I had to ask for help for just about every item because they didn't have my size or the color or pattern I wanted out of the shelves. Which is annoying. Especially for clothing where you might want to try stuff on.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hooboy, Wal-Mart chat. I hate Wal-Mart, and you guys caught me on the night I tried to go to Wal-Mart for the first time in 3 years. I don't know how they stay in business - hateful customers and employees, empty shelves, 2 registers open and 20+ people in line. I don't know how people function in areas where Wal-Mart is their only local shopping choice. I might just choose to stave to death and resort to using junkmail as toilet paper.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm laughing - I gave the store a 1 star review on Facebook and corporate replied with information to call the local store or visit the customer service desk on my next visit. They obviously have never tried to do either of those things or they would know that 1) nobody ever answers the phone and 2) the customer service desk couldn't possibly care less.

Edit: the location has a 2.5 star rating out of 5 which by Wal-Mart standards is top tier.

Goober Peas has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Mar 19, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

bean_shadow posted:

The Wal-Mart in my town has, so far, about eight of those self-checkout machines. So they're starting to get rid of the few cashiers they have now.

Self checkouts are great when they work and/or the customer has half a brain cell functioning.

Last night, I couldn't get the last bottle of Tide on the shelf (no kidding) to scan. It takes the attendant 10 minutes to appear. He confirms it won't scan, and tells me I can do without or go to a regular register.

I walked out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My favorite Wells Fargo story - was selling a late model car I owned outright. Put an ad in auto trader. Got a call from a dude, agree to meet at a nearby strip mall. Show up, dude isn't interested in the car, he works for WF located in the strip mall. He wants to help me refinance my car. Or sign me up for a credit card. Or refinance my mortgage.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Over Christmas I got bored and visited the Sears in my parent's town. As a point of reference I did the same thing last year.

Last year, it looked like one of the few stores that had been remodeled in the past few years - it had very nice floors, a good layout, was reasonably well stocked if a little messy.

This year it was like a ghost town. Their electronics department had 0 televisions. They had like 5 refrigerators on display, and a few stoves. Lots of empty shelves randomly placed, and only two registers in the store -- one in front of the only external entrance that wasn't blocked off, one in front of the mall entrance. I don't think I saw any employees. Or customers for that matter. I may have been the only sign of life inside the store.

I left with my soul intact, somehow.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I worked a department store in high school and college (early 90s) and remember coming home daily and sneezing what looked like colorrd confetti. It was fuzz off the clothing I sold.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There are bad credit unions out there too.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mitztronic posted:

I hate to be snarky... but... there is also the internet, which contains valuable information about other's experiences with any institution with mere seconds from a website called google.

Agree 100% - I wanted to throw my comment out there as a counterpoint to the folks who think CUs are a magical place that are always better than banks. Some are, some aren't but in general yes, they are better.

I recently paid off an auto loan with a bad one, and let me tell you - they were as slimy as Wells Fargo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I was at a resort a few weeks ago - they had Dammit Dolls at the spa. Look like voodoo dolls, $10, good for relieving stress.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The thing with Uber is they only needed to be a little cheaper than traditional cabs. They set the floor too low and are going to have a hard time raising the fares enough to be profitable.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

monster on a stick posted:

The convenience factor may be more significant than the price. I've never had to wait long for an Uber, even if I'm in the suburbs, and I can use the app when I'm traveling. I can't say that about taxis; I've been downtown and still had a problem hailing a drat cab. Plus I don't need to say the address fifteen times since they already have the destination. Even at the same price I'd rather take an Uber.

That was my point :colbert:

They didn't need to set their pricing where they did to get customers.

Goober Peas has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Apr 15, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TEDx is the modern version of 'The Gong Show'

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's funny how small a mall feels when every other storefront is a mural.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

When I was in high school (early 90s) there was a guy we used to call "King of the Mall". He was our ageish, maybe college age and walked the mall with a hand full of bags from all the cool stores. He hit on all the girls and wanted everyone to see where he had bought stuff. If you ever peeked inside the bags, you'd see there was nothing but empty boxes and tissue paper.

It was all about looking cool.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the US they are all rundown and look like they did in 1980.

In all fairness they look more like 1990. Because that was about the last time they had a consistent capital strategy. Not that it changes anything.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mammal Sauce posted:

The Goodwill I donate to never has anything good. The last time I went, the pick up in front of me was a nerd goldmine. CED that looked like new with movies, an audio reel-to-reel machine that also looked new, and a wooden console with pop-up turntable. I asked the guy unloading cars about it and he said none of it would ever hit the sales floor and would be sold by other means (auction?).

Yep - I've gotten Goodwill stuff the last 2 or 3 times I've bought used on Amazon.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You probably want to do the opposite - the washer is much heavier.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krotera posted:

Yeah and I want a washing machine I can keep my rear end in a top hat kids in.

Fixed for you :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

RandomPauI posted:

How long until CVS/Aetna buys a pharmaceutical manufacturer?

I'm surprised this is going to happen - the government made Humana (hospital chain and insurer) split itself in the 90s under the premise you couldn't have your hand in both pots.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I must be broken - I hate everything about traditional barbershops. Especially the old man smell.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Burt Sexual posted:

And what guy wants to “lounge” around in a stylist shop? In and out plz

I clearly state my desire and have had no issues getting in and out of a salon.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'd say Sears/K-Mart are nearing that last swirl around the bowl - the one right before the turd goes down.

I'm expecting Crazy Eddie to do something spectacular in 2018.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

DariusLikewise posted:

It's absolutely insane how a large, successful company like Target completely blundered a launch into a country that's right beside them by hiring a MBA shill.

And SAP was right there to help!

:haw:

Seriously, if they had good consulting they would have been told not to implement SAP until they knew what the gently caress they were doing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I was at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday and an old lady was trying to haggle a Keurig. Her justification for a lower price - "Because I never pay full price". They offered her 20% off (standard coupon that everyone that shops at BBB already has), wants 20% off and to use the 20% off coupon she has in hand.

She didn't get her Keurig :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I still don't understand why Wal-Mart invests in 50 registers if they're only going to open 2 of them at any given time.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Detective No. 27 posted:

We have two in Phoenix. I'm within walking distance of one.

WINCOP

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Stexils posted:

would vastly prefer this over having employees yell "HI HOW ARE YOU DOING! CAN I HELP YOU OUT?" the instant i cross the threshold

WELCOME TO MOES

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My ex was a pharm-D

The packets are a boon for assisted living, nursing homes. The institutions that transitioned had a dramatic drop in missed doses/accidental overdoses/wrong person gets the pills. You can literally look at the cart and see if a patient (the right patient) has been dispensed to. Scan the packet, scan the patient's wristband, beep and you're good to go. Heehaw and you've got the wrong patient and/or wrong day/time for that packet.

The packets are marked #4 recyclable.

Goober Peas has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Jun 29, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

queserasera posted:

Anybody have photos of the inside of that Nicollet Ave Kmart? I am super curious. GIS only shows the outside.

There's a bathroom on the right

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I took Mass Transit to church once

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Weatherman posted:

Dildopass. You can insert your own joke here.

Where is here?

In other news, I went to Sears yesterday. Hooboy, they're making Big Lots look like Bloomingdales.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BloodBag posted:

You dirty minded goons, it's for the increasing number of incontinent boomers :rolleyes:

I hope.

They're certainly full of poo poo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Volmarias posted:

so class action lawsuits are not long for this country barring a sudden and strong change in the makeup of Congress.

They're all clowns. No change in the makeup expected.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s seriously a huge moron and brought this on himself

Eddie Lampert or Elon Musk?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sears was always going to die. Lambert just maximized shareholder his value.

We can't ignore the fact that up until Lambert, Sears made the wrong choice every chance it got for decades. Had he not come on and started cost cutting, Sears would have kept on acting like it was another Wal-Mart and probably been gone by now. It should have been gone by now. Lambert being the single biggest guaranteed creditor is the only reason it keeps getting loans (from Lambert).

Shutting down the catalog store was probably the biggest pre-Lampert mistake made, especially since they were pioneers in online commerce before it was 'a thing'.

The fatal, irreversible mistakes all happened on Crazy Eddie's watch. He was the proponent and instigator of the Wal-Martification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Randaconda posted:

With better management, Sears could have jumped onto the internet bandwagon way early. I assume they already had warehouses and poo poo from the catalog.

That's the thing - they were doing eCommerce on CompuServe in the early 1980s, then partnered with IBM to start Prodigy where they also had an eCommerce site. Both ran through their catalog stores.
They were the bandwagon and jumped off -- then shut down their catalog distribution network instead of converting it to eCom. Those were two very big mistakes in hindsight, but definitely not fatal.