Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

At the Union Hall since 1990.

Volume posted:

My dick circles your mothers drain, op

This is the best answer in the thread.

Business Gorillas posted:

iirc the hammer is dropping in some case in california and if uber loses said case, they're going to have to treat their drivers like actual employees. at the very second they have to treat their employees like, well, employees, the entire company is bust

Uber/Lyft drivers got the right to unionize in Seattle. Drivers have to have some kind of background checks in Austin. Lots of regulatory opposition in Europe. Uber can't switch to driverless cars fast enough.

- Gawker. They're one defamation suit away from bankruptcy.

- Lower and middle class labor markets. Everything is going to get automated. Journalists Lawyers. Bankers. All "disrupted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Vastarien posted:

There's a Books-A-Million around where I live that is inexplicably still open. There used to be another one, but they closed it down back in the early 00s. Pretty sure the company meant to close the other store as well but just forgot. The employees still show up for work everyday despite having not been paid for 15 years.

The last time I as in a Books-A-Million it had more Duck Dynasty paraphernalia than actual books.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The_Franz posted:

Yahoo is bleeding money and she spent $1 million on a vanity book with pictures of her and some fluff text about how the yahoos will rise again. Meanwhile mass layoffs are becoming the norm there.

I could see doing some thing like that a couple of years ago might have been done to rally the troops, but that just happened? Way to broadcast your tone deafness to your employees and board members.

Interesting to note that no Yahoo! CEO has ever left on good terms.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Well really, what the hell are they supposed to do? There's no saving that company in the traditional way, the whole thing needs an overhaul from the ground up.

Well, has anyone ever just leveled with the staff of a company this size and come outright and said things are looking bleak? This brave face and lying bullshit fools no one, alienates the few smart ones that haven't left all ready.

Is it truly the hubris and bad judgement of Meyer or was Yahoo! always unsaveable. It's too late know now, but with all the talent at that company's disposal, somebody could've figured out how to turn things around.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Playboy might as well be dead...the Mansion is up for sale for $200 mil (although with the catch that Hef gets to live there until he dies).

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/16/46320...es-not-included

What's the saying? "Shirt sleeve to shirt sleeve in 3 generations." Hef managed to do it in one.

Automatic Slim has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Feb 6, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

Yahoo shares are in the toilet and Marissa Mayer has driven away pretty much all the top talent at Yahoo. Those employees she hasn't driven away or fired, apparently refer to her as Evita (Eva Peron) All that's left for her to do is to gut the company and sell off the pieces. It's always funny to see a person with such a massive ego fail miserably. Wonder if she has any more glamour photo shoots coming up.

Hopefully Snapchat, and the other tech companies with insane valuations, no earnings and smug CEOs come crashing down next.

If her ego is as massive as you say it is, then she'll be fine. She'll have a few pat excuses., chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on. She'll sit on a few boards, maybe become a VC herself. People of that echelon may have a damaged professional reputation, but they will still live comfortably.

Automatic Slim has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Feb 10, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Mayer may have made some stupid decisions at Yahoo but she's a hell of a lot better than Scott Thompson, the former CEO.

The guy lied on his resume, stating that he had a degree at a university that didn't offer the degree at the time he graduated. No one apparently bothered to actually look into his credentials before hiring him. He worked for around 4 months, but nearly destroyed the company in that short amount of time. He knew nothing about the business, pissed off Yahoo's business partners with his ignorance, and decided to do the whole "bad CEO" stereotype by cutting jobs, downsizing, selling off parts of the company, and completely changing the culture of the company while giving himself his own posh office with extra security. The guy did such a horrible job that one of the stockholders got so fed up that he led a crusade to reveal his fake education, and even after that was exposed he still wouldn't go down without a fight and tried to keep his position. Eventually they got rid of him, with a nice golden parachute of around 7 million. Absolutely bonkers, at least Mayer knows the industry and tried to avoid layoffs as much as possible, even if some of her ideas were complete failures and her ego led to a lot of people leaving the company.

Of course, Thompson immediately got a job as CEO of another company.

Isn't it true that no Yahoo CEO has ever stepped down willingly? They've all been disposed unwillingly. Succession is like Roman emperors or banana republic dictators.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's almost like it's a good idea to promote internally and to choose people who have extensive knowledge of the products that your company makes.

Jokes on everyone who thinks picking internally or externally will make a bit of difference.

http://www.tenpencepiece.net/blog/2...icked-randomly/

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just tell them " 867-5309"

9-34-26-34

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

And that is going to be the winning super mega store: TONS OF GUNS!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JB50 posted:

Behold the MANS super mega store:

And it is most certainly NOT circling the drain.

That's pretty baller.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

but these days Guitar Center is just Best Buy for instruments.

Anybody remember Mars Music? It was GC done right. Apparently it's downfall was the owners were good at other businesses but hobbyists.

Automatic Slim has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Jun 29, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Without England, PBS wouldn't have its Sunday night programming.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Growing up, my father worked as a television engineer at a PBS.

I've seen entirely too much early Dr. Who, Are you Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances.

Also Lawrence Welk, but I don't think I can blame the British for that.

Edit: if anyone knows who exactly I can blame for Lawrence Welk, please tell me.

The Greatest Generation. After growing up in Dust Bowls, Great Depressions, and World Wars why would anyone want one more piece of excitement especially their entertainment?

PBS had better attract younger viewers, their average age is even older than fox viewers.

Speaking of companies circling the drain: Hanjin shipping of South Korea has gone bankrupt.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...shipping-chaos/

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Texas is economically very important to the United States and pumps out GDP at a level way out of proportion to their size and population.

Unfortunately, Texas does that by eating their population alive.

And the people of Texas just take it. It ranks 46 in voter participation. Their mind set is they want the govt. to leave them alone but that lack engagement means they're just screwing themselves.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

If this is where I think it is, the whole area needs rejuvenated. When I was a kid, it was vibrant and flourishing - the only things left in the whole section of town now are a few fast food places, a strip joint, and a bank branch. It will be sad to see the mall torn down, as it was such a big part of my childhood, but something has to be done with all that wasted land.

Affordable housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Yes it is. They used poor starlets in advertising campaigns for a while.