Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Domestic Amuse posted:

Sears and J.C. Penney were the two last holdouts at the now-definitely-dead mall located in my old stomping grounds, on account of both tenants owning the spaces they used to occupy. Both stores closed up once enough money was thrown at them, as they were in the way of a planned revamping of the entire space into a mixed business office/shopping center with a major "town center" theme.

If this is where I think it is, the whole area needs rejuvenated. When I was a kid, it was vibrant and flourishing - the only things left in the whole section of town now are a few fast food places, a strip joint, and a bank branch. It will be sad to see the mall torn down, as it was such a big part of my childhood, but something has to be done with all that wasted land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

That is highly affordable!

This was the place where someone died on the roof trying to get the last remnants of copper wire from the building. They refused to tear the place down or even sell it - would be a perfect area for low-cost housing if they can ever get their poo poo together.

Meanwhile, slightly to the north, another mall gets its death rattle. Macy's left last year and now the Sears is closing. Only 1 anchor left and it already lost a restaurant, all the businesses on the 4 street perimeter, and a bunch of tenants inside. The place has 2 years tops :(

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Houle posted:

I was pretty disappointed when I went to a KFC/Taco Bell mix and I got some popcorn chicken and asked for their spiciest sauce. I think it had a tomato in it?

The only complaint I have with the double down is that I can't stand American "cheese". It is so bland and awful tasting. If they used real cheese I'd totally get one of those.

Personally for fast food, other than pizza places, I tend to like A&W ( I live in Canada, and I've been told it's different from the American one).

To be a little on topic, I keep hearing that A&W is too small to sustain their distribution system but too large to innovate and will go the way of the dodo. That and KFC is having issues because no one wants bones in their chicken when eating lunch since people tend to eat in the car.

I remember even as a younger kid how fast food's definition of "hot" was a joke. Wendy's came out with that hot and spicy chicken sandwich and the commercials made you think it was off the scale hot that only the heartiest of souls could even begin to tolerate. I got one and was all ready to sweat my balls off, and distinctly remember taking it back after the first bite asking if they gave me the plain one by accident :(.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Willing to bet money that the dead mall area in The Last of Us: Left Behind is based on pictures of this mall

http://sephlawless.com/gallery/abandoned-snow-mall/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYPN5pRGLA&t=120s

That was my childhood mall :(.

Once the biggest mall east of the Mississippi, it turned into a hellhole by the late 90s. By the late 2000s it was all but abandoned and had nothing but a JC Penney outlet store and a dying Sears. Today it's just waiting to be demolished - I did some Urb-X in there a few years ago and it was the most depressing nostalgia trip you could ever take :(

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

The whole Rolling Acres/Romig Road area was/is a hellhole though, not just the mall. You could do plenty of UrbEx anywhere there, I wanted to do some years back, at the Toys R Us or the adjacent shopping plaza where Children's Palace used to be. Never did though. Chapel Hill Mall is headed in that direction now, looks like both Macy's and Sears are closed, and JCPenney may as well be. Summit is all that's left around here, though I don't know what Belden Village looks like now. </NEOhioDeadMallChat>

Edit: also, gently caress Books-A-Million, it's like Borders but somehow even more schlocky

Oh absolutely. The whole mile long stretch is beyond depressing now. Used to be packed to the gills with every kind of retail store imaginable - during the holiday seasons in the late 80s/early 90s, it was near impossible to navigate through there. One by one, the businesses left and weren't replaced. Soon entire plazas were gone. Every restaurant but a handful are gone now and only a few meager businesses are hanging on. It literally looks like a post-apocalyptic ghost town now - everything is abandoned, nothing gets torn down, and no one has any idea what to do with the space.

It used to be Paradise as a kid - Children's Palace AND Toys R Us AND Kay-Bee? The mall was never below 98% occupancy and every plaza in the area was full up. First to go were Children's Palace and Handy Andy, never to be replaced. Then it was Fazios and Hill's. Then Sun and a bunch of smaller places.

Chapel Hill is indeed following the same pattern - it's a ghost town around the whole perimeter until you head down Howe Ave. Summit is thriving tho, and Belden got a huge facelift recently too. You have to wonder how much longer Chapel Hill will hold out now that the anchors are all but gone and the crime stories are out of control.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

kumba posted:

The one in Gainesville lives on. I'm perplexed.

Somehow THIS fits the description of all the remaining k-marts....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

My God, the waste....

Those are literally for use in institutional care only - nursing homes, hospitals, etc. I run a long term care pharmacy and this is the only place you can use these. Absolutely positively CANNOT be dispensed like that to your average patient off the street - each packet would have to have all the patient and drug info for each med on each individual packet and that just can’t happen.

Let’s not put the cart before the horse here - the vast majority of people who get meds through mail order can’t stand it and only do so because they’re forced to. Patients (especially the elderly) want to physically see someone in the pharmacy so they can ask questions and get advice. Yeah it may be cheaper for the younger crowd, but that’s not who fills the bulk of prescriptions.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Raldikuk posted:

For most people it would be incredibly wasteful; but for anyone who has a bunch of different pills to take at various times it would be pretty nice.

I'm not an expert here, but this doesn't really pass the sniff test. Most prescriptions are put into bottles that don't have any of that packet information. Going by what is on those bottle's labels it seems that the patient name, drug name, and prescribing physician would be the main reqs on it. Usually when you get a bottled med you'll be handed a packet with it with all of the drug info. I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed as long as they can print the pertinent info on it (and it appears they can).

I AM an expert, and it’s true. Prescription bottles have to have a label containing patient name, physician name, drug name and strength, directions for use, date of fill, discard date, expiration date, refill information, manufacturer name, pharmacist name, pharmacy phone number, and various other info, along with anything else the individual rate may require. All of that info for multiple drugs will not fit on a packet of that size. This is why it is meant for institutional (nursing home or hospital) use only - those requirements are kept on the MAR (medication administration record) and meds are handled only by a nurse, not a patient.

I think you’re confusing that with the drug info leaflet, which is something altogether different.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Except that one time it was The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins by Leonard Nimoy.

I think you mean Dildo Gaggins

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Can you download a Chick-Fil-A sandwich on Sunday?

Could God download a chicken sandwich so hot and spicy that he himself could not eat it?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Garrand posted:

It doesn't help that AT&T pulled HBO from Dish 2 years ago, right in the middle of the last couple seasons of Game of Thrones, not to mention whatever else HBO offers.

Plus all the regional sports networks, the NFL network, and a ton of local providers in my area. I realized that pretty much 75% of the channel lineup is either home shopping or infomercials, that has to be what’s keeping them alive at this point.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

This is my main thought when thinking of Sizzler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5NweFWjAw

Holy gently caress I thought I was the only one. I’ve never been anywhere near a Sizzler in my life, but the name will forever be burned in my memory thanks to this amazing movie.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd rather have Spirit Halloween in January.

Andrew Garfield - hates Mondays, loves lasagna

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Still didn’t plunge as fast as his company’s chance of recovery

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

What are journalists going to do when they can no longer report on tweets?

This might be the biggest truth of them all. I swear 90% of articles I read anymore, especially sports-related ones, are just a headline and then 20 different re-posted tweets from athletes or celebs reacting.

Journalism has become a joke for many reasons, but this might be the biggest. “Screenshotting how an unrelated person reacted” is not telling a story or providing in-depth analysis, just like “reposting a series of tweets” isn’t an article. The sooner Twitter dies off the better.

I’ll just take a small frosty, thanks.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
And it also had sex with that guy’s dead wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

You're thinking of E.R, and it was all in Kubiak from Parker Lewis's head.

Thank god Uncle Jesse and Steve Smith showed up later on to save the day