Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

To continue all the Circuit City chat, back when they were a thing there was a developer building a brand new shopping plaza in the rich area of town that was supposed to be the next big thing, and for some reason they felt it wouldn't be complete without a state of the art Circuit City. At the same time a buddy of mine was working at a Circuit City across town that was doing exceptionally terrible.
Management was giving people the option of transferring to the new store, and since it was new and shiny and everyone promised it would be amazing, requests flooded in. Pretty much anyone who knew anything about electronics got transferred to the new store. I kid you not, less than one year later that store was shut down. The funny thing is the original store lasted another 2 years before meeting the same fate. People were fighting to get fired the fastest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

At the retail place I worked the LP people were the only ones who were actually allowed to run after and tackle the shoplifters. The spiel management gave us is they are trained for all this stuff by a third party so when a lawsuit happens they can point to their certifications and such and say they did everything to make sure the shoplifter wouldn't be injured, etc. whereas if Joe Schmo tackles a guy the company has zero defense.

The guy who said LP is more interested in employees is 100% right, at least for the place I worked at. If an employee wanted to shop at the store on their day off they had to come in through the employee entrance, check in with LP, if they had any shopping bags from other stores those bags had to be stored in the LP office, when they made a purchase the store manager would come over and verify the receipt, when they leave they had to check out with LP, LP verifies what's in their bag is what is on the receipt, and they had to leave through the employee exit. Not only that, women couldn't bring purses to work with them. All female employees were given a completely see through purse (and I mean purse, it they had multiple pockets, zippers, everything), and if you brought a real purse to work with you, you could bet LP would go through it before you leave for the day.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

WaryWarren posted:

I read somewhere that the clothes that stores sell at outlets can sometimes be specially made just for outlets. meaning outdated styles, poorer materials and assembly.

This is completely true. If you're at a Saks Off 5th, Neiman Marcus Last Call, or one of those high end outlets and you want the good stuff ask for the sell-off merch. It's the stuff that got marked down three times at the full line stores then sent to the outlet rather than being made specifically for them. The discounts are pretty hefty, but can still get crazy expensive. I remember seeing a leather Gucci jacket for $2,000 from it's original price of $8,000. Sure it's 75% off, but 75% off a shitload is still a shitload. Then again I've also seen sell off 7fam for $30 so it's really hit or miss.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I actually love those shelf checkouts as long as I only have ~10 small items. And that's only because they aren't big enough to handle more items. The line is always way faster than the regular checkout, you don't have to worry about a cashier accidentally scanning something twice, or punching in the wrong code for a produce item and charging you more, or just moving at a snail's pace.
Fresh and Easy was awesome when it was still around since they had gigantic self check outs that were designed to deal with a cart full of stuff.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

CubanMissile posted:

How are the big watch companies (TAG, Movado, etc.) doing? I'm sure there are still people who think you need an expensive watch to be a baller, but for the midrange everyone else is poor as gently caress and it's not really necessary with cell phone and fitness bracelets. Or are people so used to wearing their G-Shocks or whatever that they keep buying them?

Expensive watches are also categorized as jewelry at most stores. No one uses a Rolex to tell time, they say themselves that they can gain almost a minute and a half every 2 weeks. But they are made from precious metals, look pretty, and are worn where everyone can see them.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

If you work at Saks you have to get the credit card or you don't get any employee discounts. You have to charge your purchase to the Saks card or the register won't give you your discount.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Fumaofthelake posted:

They have too many stores really, it's not a big deal some are closing.

There are 7 GameStop's within 8 miles of me. One of them is .1 miles away from another. Yes, they built a GameStop 528 ft. away from another GameStop.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A few years ago Homeland Security decided to test the TSA by trying to sneak explosives and weapons past the security checkpoints. Out of 70 tests, the TSA only stopped them 3 times.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I think it also depends on how intensive the remodel is. When they were remodeling the store I used to work at there was so much that needed to be done that doing it only before/after hours would stretch the project out significantly. We had extra people come in whose entire shift was spent taking down merch and racks during regular business hours.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

its all nice on rice posted:

I've come across several cold stones around Portland. They also don't sing anymore!

The ones out here in San Diego still sing.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Jastiger posted:

Outlet Malls..they used to be a place where you can get deals on outdated or unsold merch. Genuinely overstock outlet goods.

Now they companies are wise to this. Most of the stuff you get at those outlet places are made specifically for outlet locations. So youre just getting the same thing as you would anyways, just slightly cheaper made and priced for the location.

Not a bad thing, mind you, but they arent "deals", just a different sub brand.

Also for tea, go to gong fu tea in the east village.

You can still get good deals if you go to the department store outlets. Go to Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack, Last Call, etc and ask for sell off. Of course "deal" is pretty subjective; I've seen Gucci leather jackets marked down from $5200 to $1200. A great deal? Sure. Reasonably priced? No way.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

There was a clothing store in a strip mall where I used to live that, as far as I could tell, never opened. They had hours of operations posted on the door but they sure as hell didn't follow them. You could look through the window and see ton's of racks full of clothes but every time I was in that area it was never open. 2pm on a Tuesday, closed. 1pm on a Saturday closed. I was even there on a black Friday and it was closed. The place was there for at least 2 years before disappearing. Had to be a front for something.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Professor Shark posted:

I only ever bought two things from CM: a sweater, and a pair of jeans. I bought the jeans and then went to GAP, where I noticed the CM jeans were fake selvedge (I'm not sure if manufacturers do this anymore, but they use stitching to fake selvedge, and I just didn't notice). I bought a cheaper pair of jeans that were actually selvedge from GAP and went to return the CM jeans... except they wouldn't take them back. Even when they brought in the manager, because they had a firm No Returns policy.

What a way to lose a customer, I was dumb in my 20's and would have shopped there for years.

I worked in a mall with a Club Monaco and I went in there, shopped around a bit, really hit it off with the manger who said I should fill out an application. I filled it all out, turned it in, and the store closed a week later. To this day I'm baffled why someone would tell me to apply knowing the store is closing.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I have a USPS package that was delivered about a month ago but the tracking number still says it's on its way, and the last entry says tendered to a military agent :wtf:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Volcott posted:

What did you order?

It was a DVI cable and some display port to DVI adapters. The thing is it was successfully delivered, but the tracking info says it was given to the military and is still on the way. shouldn't they have a system that flags errors like something that's been in transit for a month after the delivery date?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

You're thinking of Nordstrom, which doesn't officially have a time limit on returns, you don't need a receipt, and there's no requirement that the items be in saleable condition. Of course they preface all that with a "returns are dealt with on a case by case basis" to prevent what you just said. The urban legend is that someone once returned a set of tires after Nordstrom moved into a building that used to house a tire shop.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Teavana wasn't a spin off. They were their own thing until 2012 when Starbucks bought them for $620 million. I'm not surprised to see them go, though, their tea and all their accessories were crazy expensive. The monkey picked oolong tea costed almost as much as silver per ounce. People will spend that money for gifts, maybe, but no one is buying that stuff on the regular.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

enigmahfc posted:

When I worked at Sears 18 years ago, I was in the television/home theater department, and people would come in all the time and want to haggle the price.

"So, how much can I get this TV for?"
<looks at price tag> "That much."
"What is I pay cash?"
I do not give two fucks how you paid, i get the same commission, dipstick.

I know there are people who think your 'supposed' to haggle, but come the gently caress on; why make the associates life even harder and more annoying as you try to get that sick deal, bro.
Other associates in the department did haggle, I did not. Of course, most of them got fired for doing shady poo poo to get sales, and I did not. So There's that.

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue and had that same exact conversation with a client once:
"Your total is $587.63"
<hands me his card then stops abruptly> "What would it be if I paid cash?"
"$587.63."
I didn't even realize he was trying to haggle because who the gently caress haggles at a store that has concierge services and valet parking? I was completely dumbfounded as to why he would expect it to be cheaper with cash until I posted the story on some retail thread and goons told me what he was doing. :doh:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

walrusman posted:

Credit cards definitely still have surcharges. It's usually a percentage (I think around 3%, probably depends on the issuer) for credit and a flat charge (about 25 cents) for debit. My understanding is that your merchant agreement with Visa or whoever prevents you from charging more for using the card - obviously Visa wants it to be as painless as possible for the consumer - but it's clearly a little more complicated than that because I've seen more and more gas stations doing that cash discount thing and they're not being stripped of their card processing privileges en masse.

I know, at least in California, it's illegal to add a surcharge to credit card purchases, but it's completely legal to offer a discount to people paying cash, check, or debit. The gas station can just say the price is $3.50 a gallon and they offer a $0.10 discount for people paying with cash, rather than the other way around.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I use eBay to get stuff for the office that isn't made anymore. I had to replace an old Metasys VMA and Extron PoleVault recently and eBay was the only place to get them. I could probably have found the stuff on Craigslist but no one on Craigslist is going to take my company credit card as payment, and I sure as hell am not going to pay for it out of pocket and wait for a reimbursement.

On the other hand, for personal purchases I think it's been a good decade since I've used eBay.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Decrepus posted:

They are like vampires who don't have to ask to enter your home.

e: this was not a good comparison

With Amazon Key this is literally the case. https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17285120011

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I worked at an outlet store that had the regular retail price of the item at the top of the tag with a line through it, then our price at the bottom. Someone at corporate decided that fragrances and body care should no longer be priced below retail, and instead be constantly on sale. Since our system literally didn't allow us to print price tags without a "compare at" section on it, we had tags like this until everything got upgraded:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

At the shopping plaza by the college I went to there was a Starbucks roughly 200 ft. from another Starbucks for several years. They wised up eventually but it was fun going to Starbucks, finding it packed and going to the other Starbucks a few shops over instead.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

MoviePass now has a 3 movie limit per month: https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/06/media/moviepass-three-movies-per-month/index.html

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Gann Jerrod posted:

As far as I know, Moviepass had three methods for profitability.

1. Hope that people would subscribe but not use it (the Gym membership method of profitability)
2. Become big enough that they could make deals to buy tickets for less than normal. Only like two theaters actually did this, and most of the larger theaters have gone on record that they will never do it.
3. Sell the data of their users.

I was sure 3 was how they were planning on making money. You'd think with 3 million subscribers they'd have some amazing data they could sell to studios, like romcoms released on this specific date in these specific theaters at these specific times will maximize your opening week numbers, or even be able to predict what type of movies will do well given the actors, genres, directors and sell that info too. Instead they make Gotti and start limiting the amount data they can get.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Apparently MoviePass is reactivating cancelled accounts and requiring an opt out to not get charged.
https://gizmodo.com/moviepass-is-now-re-enrolling-former-customers-in-an-un-1829423850

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I bought Sears stock when it was $1.20 thinking how low could it possibly go? It rose to about $1.80 a few days later and I was all, "this is SEARS, they will totally get back up to $2, I'll sell then." It's now at $0.37 and I hate myself.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Ariong posted:

What exactly was it that made you think it was going to bounce back or stabilize?

It's a giant multinational corporation that had sold for $2.00 just a week earlier. I didn't think it would stabilize, I thought it might do a dead cat bounce. that's why I put a limit order at $2.00 thinking it will probably hit that for a day or an evening and I would rake in the dough, but I flew a bit too close to the sun.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know of any dead malls in the San Diego region, but I've also never bothered to look for one. The ones in Fashion Valley will probably be around forever because of all the new housing built in the surrounding area makes them actually convenient to people's lives, and Horton Plaza is literally in the center of downtown so it's safe too.

Horton Plaza is definitely a dead mall. It only has one anchor left, almost all the storefronts are empty, it is in serious need of repair, and they didn't even bother to do any seasonal decorations for the last 3 years straight. It's kind of baffling how it's doing so badly when there is so much foot foot traffic right on the street, and all the surrounding businesses seem to be doing great.
I just looked it up and some real estate company recently bought Horton Plaza and plans to tear it down and replace it with office spaces.

McPhearson has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Nov 10, 2018

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Henker posted:

Here in California, some grocer named Haggen tried to expand into the state a couple years back by buying up like 150 different other grocery stores and rebranding them. It ended up being a huge disaster and they had to close all of them within the year. Supposedly they were given bad pricing data from the company they bought the stores from (Albertsons) and massively overpriced everything.

There was a Von's out in the ghetto part of Chula Vista that I shopped at all the time. It was more expensive then the other grocery stores in the area and because of that was virtually empty. It was nice going shopping and being one of maybe 3 people in the store. It got turned into a Haggen and they raised the prices to the point that the cost wasn't worth the convenience. I believe it last maybe 3 months before closing up.
Any rep from Haggen could've walked down that street and seen there was no way they could survive at that location. They did no research at all.

I looked up their wiki and apparently Haggen purchased 146 Safeway and Albertson's stores they legally had to sell as part of an anti-monopoly requirement of the Safeway/Albertson's merger. Once Haggen failed and closed all the shittier stores, Albertson's bought them and regained control of all the highest preforming stores they were forced to sell. But I guess :capitalism:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

there wolf posted:

Though my favorite will always be the woman who wanted her purchases in the store shipped to her home in Florida, and then demanded that we not charge her sales tax because she wouldn't be charged that on an online sale.

When I did retail if someone wanted their in store purchase shipped to them the computer would automatically remove tax if it was to a state we didn't have a store in, and if we did have a store in that state it would adjust to their local tax rate. Lots of people who had huge orders would take advantage of that because tax would be way more than shipping.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

In some states you don't even need a membership to buy alcohol at Costco. It's nice getting huge booze discounts without paying for a Costco card.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Haifisch posted:

It's flavored sparkling water in a can. Surprisingly expensive for a case of it, considering what it is.

Last time I bought La Croix was at Bad Bath and Beyond and they were having a buy one get one free sale on the 24 pack, and the 24 packs were on sale for $6.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

They brought it back a few years ago. I've never tried it before so I really wish I had gotten a pack when I saw it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FilthyImp posted:

The park is literally just one ride (albeit a sickass 4-player Millennium Falcon arcade game), a restaurant with booze, and two overpriced builder-zones for sabers and droids.

It's probably nice to walk around in and look at all the theming but, poo poo, are there even rando aliens around to give the area character?

There's a pretty good Dok Ondar animatronic in the Den of Antiquities and Hondo Ohnaka on the Millennium Falcon, but that's the only aliens I can think of just hanging around. Lots of robots, though. Also the Millennium Falcon ride is 6 people; 2 pilots, 2 gunners, and 2 engineers. Although if you have auto aim on as a gunner you can just hold down the shoot button for the length of the ride.

But yeah, once you go on the ride, try the lackluster food, and maybe spend $200 on lightsaber, there's not a whole lot else to do other than enjoy the scenery.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Croatoan posted:

They apparently when from 5000 locations to 800. Google tells me there are two here in Atlanta.

The closest Quizno's is 70 miles away. Google Maps tells me there used to be 3 within 12 miles at one point.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just found out earlier this year that they had actual restaurants

I just found out right now they sold frozen food.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m honestly curious as to what the endgame is with Manhattan real estate when loving Barney’s and Saks and Ralph Lauren can’t pay the rent.

Saks actually owns their flagship 5th avenue store's real estate. It looks like Barneys did too until 2001 when they sold it :confused:. As part of the agreement the buyer was restricted from rasing rent until 2019.

I think this is the landlord trying to kick them out. There was probably some agreement in the sale saying they couldn't be evicted as long as they made rent, and as soon as there was an option to raise it they took it. If you have a good tenant that is paying you regularly and on time for the last 18 years there's no real incentive to get them out. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

At the beginning of June when they first opened Galaxy's Edge for reservation holders only the rest of Disneyland was empty. I went June 2nd and the longest wait I had was 20 minutes for Space Mountain. Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, and pretty much all the big name rides had 0 to 5 minute waits. I made a full round around the park in like 2 hours. Then all the news sites started talking about how dead the park was and now it's back to normal levels of crowded.

Disney didn't really lose money, though. On the earnings call they said park attendance dropped 3% but per-capita guest spending went up 10%. You can currently make reservations for Savi's Workshop ($200 lightsaber) 2 weeks in advance and Oga's Cantina (only alcohol in the park except for Club 33 and good luck getting in there) 60 days in advance and both are already almost completely filled. People are dropping bills at Galaxy's Edge.

The place is legit impressive, though; I took a buddy of mine last weekend and even as a casual fan of Star Wars he said Galaxy's Edge was the highlight of the trip. The environment looks amazing, the animatronic characters are great, and the interaction is pretty cool; there was a part where right in the middle of everyone a character called Vi Moradi is captured by storm troopers, fights her way free, and sprints to a hiding spot. Followed by storm troopers questioning people around for information and Kylo Ren force chocking an imperial officer for failing.

Where poo poo really hit the fan was the acquisition of Fox. Disney announced a $170 million loss because of the horrible flop Dark Phoenix ended up being. They straight up canceled almost every upcoming Fox film and said Fox is doing far shittier then they ever expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can’t recall if I told this story in this thread or the obsolete technology one, but when I worked for AT&T they did a test pilot for satellite dishes on your car. Not an antenna, but a box that went on your roof with an internal rotating dish of some kind so that you could receive live TV into your minivan’s infotainment system. It was the stupidest loving idea that was made obsolete almost immediately by smartphones.

When I was a kid my dad's car had TV's in the headrests and a giant stick on antenna that covered the entire length of the windshield.