Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

So far the Sports Authority emails I get are ignoring this news, will see how long that lasts

I got an email from them yesterday, since I signed up for that dumb free number card that gives me less-rip-off prices

quote:

May 3, 2016

Dear Sports Authority Customers,

We appreciate your support and patronage and want you to know that you can continue to shop at Sports Authority stores and online at SportsAuthority.com.

As we communicated in early March when we entered Chapter 11, we are closing or selling approximately 140 of our 450 stores. We continue to move forward with this process, which we expect will be completed by the end of June. During this time, you can take advantage of our ongoing sales at those stores, with big discounts on great brands and merchandise!

The majority of our stores remain open on normal schedules and you can continue to shop on SportsAuthority.com as you always have. For an up-to-date list of operating Sports Authority stores and to find the nearest location, please visit our Store Locator at SportsAuthority.com.

We remain fully committed to delivering value and great merchandise wherever you shop at Sports Authority, and we look forward to continue serving you.
Sincerely,

I think they will probably remain an online retailer with some good deals coming due to the closures. If the one near me closes, I know I need some new running shoes soon so I hope I can get something for cheaper than on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Disclosure, REI is my client so I can tell you the words hipster and millennial isn't even vaguely on their minds which is refreshing as hell in advertising.

I live near one and every time they have those sales for members that get 400 people waiting in line before opening, it's almost always people aged 30 and under. Even if they pretend to ignore the millenials, those are the ones who are backing them and working for them in the stores.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sports Authority announced tonight that they intend to have all stores closed by late August

red19fire posted:

Gonna get so jacked.

I thought they were only closing 100 out of 400+ stores nationwide? The closest SA :v: near me actually has a help wanted sign up. I wonder if it'll be like Blockbuster where the profitable stores can limp along without corporate support.

The last email from them said they were only closing some. The new email from them says:

quote:

May 25, 2016

Dear Customers,

Sports Authority and its predecessor companies have been serving the sporting goods needs of our customers since 1919. It is with great sadness that we are intending to close all of our stores by the end of August.

We will be holding store closing sales at all of our locations that will allow you to take advantage of big discounts on great brands.

On behalf of the entire Sports Authority team, I would like to express our sincere appreciation to our customers for their years of loyalty. It has been a pleasure to serve you and your family.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I just got SA's going out of business sale email. Only up to 30% off on some items. Now that full MSRP store can match the normal prices of other stores.