Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah but that's the point. If it's a tactic that's been super common and obviously beneficial only to senior executives and guaranteed to ruin the stockholder's return, why the gently caress do boards keep appointing these scumbags to run companies.

Scumbags watch after other Scumbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

Speaking of yahoo, a required update or some program I really needed bundled in some kind of integrated yahoo search engine for firefox and IE. The kind where if you typed one word like books into the address bar, it pulls up some yahoo search results page.

I've tried looking around for ways to remove it, but apparently it's a really sticky program.

gently caress off, yahoo.

You have a virus

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

blowfish posted:

Does ublock origin manage to block youtube video ads like AdBlock Plus? That's one of the most important things to block for me.

Yes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I can't wait until radio dies out. Probably won't be soon but I will celebrate and I will celebrate real hard. gently caress radio

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

You just know that there's a goon out there who is angry at the moon or something equally dumb

gently caress the moon. Also radio is just plain awful and I wonder how anybody can even listen to that poo poo.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Khorne posted:

gently caress radio. I'd like radio if it actually played music, but it's 50%+ ads on every station. I'd rather listen to nothing at all or music I brought on a usb device/whatever.

It's the same thing with who watches actual tv with ads? Who doesn't browse streaming media sites without an adblocker? It confuses me more that people actually do these things than it does that someone hates radio.

I don't even know anyone under 40 who listens to the radio so I don't see how hating it is that strange.

I guess I do have this super hatred of ads in general and radio seems to have the way worst ads around than any other media.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

CBC and especially BBC Radio are both excellent.

That's one thing I'll admit state run and public radio seems to be pretty great.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

Are there the penis equivalent?

Ask your mom

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

why do they call it a warehouse?

you can't wear it, and it's not a house!

If you get bitten by one, on a full moon you'll turn into a house.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ferroque posted:

I work at staples and yeah, most of their computer products in the store are just to sell to people who don't know any better to buy online. Seriously, USB-B cables are like $22 in the store but around $7 online - on our own website - so if you know what you are doing you can just make us price match it to the online price. It's just to trick people who don't know what they are doing.

I work in tech sales and the amount of poo poo we have to push is astounding. The staples credit card, rewards card, insurance on everything, attaching ink, tech services on new computers, this poo poo called "liquid armour" that's supposed to replace screen protectors but doesn't work... it's just overwhelming. I hate it when I have to ring at the register because the amount of poo poo you might have to ask just takes so long. They want you to get people through the line quick but also expect you to grill them on everything.

Ink accounts for about 25% of sales in my district, btw. Next is paper, combined with ink it's around 40% of in store sales. The copy print center at my store is actually really busy all the time, I think if Staples stopped trying to be a consumer electronics store they would do a lot better - it's just trying to do a million things at once. Why the gently caress do we sell verizon phones and data plans here? Who the gently caress wants to come to staples to do that? And even then, every once in awhile when someone comes to look at our phones it's such a hassle because nobody really is comfortable with the Verizon POS, and it's annoying to spend 25 minutes with someone doing that poo poo because we are always understaffed as gently caress.

Liquid armor can go suck a dick. I'm a computer technician at staples and yeah the crazy amount of poo poo they have you pushing is so loving stupid. And idiots in corporate wonder why most customers would rather shop online than be bothered with all that poo poo.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

Dude, get out of retail.

Also yes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Germstore posted:

Took a car in for servicing and the guy said, "please rate me excellent anything else is counted as a failure." It's funny how any system becomes degenerate immediately. Of course the only other option is hiring and retaining good people by paying them what they're worth and lol at that idea, so guilt trip surveys it is.

Yea a lot of retail store's use a 1-5 or 1-10 scale when doing their customer satisfactory survey bullshit and anything not a 5 or 10 is bad. It's a stupid loving system. They never evaluate the message, they just look at the score.

Working at staples, we had one customer give us a 1 and complained we didn't have diapers. I remember that one because it was appalling as gently caress when the gm came to us and complained to us about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

LGD posted:

the "best" part is that I can assure you from personal experience that people higher up the ladder have no better understanding of the metrics they're using (and because they're usually pretty far separated from the ground level are often not going to realize how garbage in->garbage out much of the data is even if they are otherwise capable of correctly interpreting statistics)

This is exactly the reason why higher ups only look at numbers, they are so far loving removed from customer satisfaction that they can only judge them by a 1-5 scale.