Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Retail has thin margins on basically everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

McPhearson posted:

ImageNet Consulting is effectively stealing their employees stimulus money by docking their pay by however much they will receive.
https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/03/29/imagenet-consulating-stimulus-payment/

I'm pretty drat sure that is extremely illegal (blatantly and publicly trying to steal government funds), especially with the federal government being directly involved in all of this.

And they've already backpedalled after being called out by the news and internet.
https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/03/30/update-imagenet-abandons-plan-to-pocket-employee-stimulus-payments/

Why would this rear end in a top hat think this was a good idea? That's a level even further beyond lovely.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why the gently caress are video game stores open at all?

Because they're run by assholes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, before the Wii blew up the meme was that the DS prints money. Nintendo was and arguably still is pretty much the only game in town for handhelds for a few reasons; should be noted that every attempt at competing with Nintendo handhelds that inevitably failed has been a more expensive console whose games are basically stripped-down versions of the home console games, while Nintendo specifically made different kinds of games for their handhelds, generally designed around being played on the go.

:rip: the Vita. The hardware was great, it had remote play for your PS4 games, and it had good portable games and ports of console games, but it was kneecapped by requiring proprietary expensive memory cards (the DS/3DS can use regular old sd cards), and requiring a separate memory card if you wanted to use a different region's PSN shop.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I really just need to get good at making my own pizza, the biggest problem I have is that I have to let the dough rise for a couple of hours, and that just saps my will to do it on a week night.

I use the dough recipe from here, no need to let it rise for an hour. It still puffs up huge as it cooks.

https://www.countrysidecravings.com/deep-dish-three-meat-pizza/

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Imagine how many sales they would have made if that was an intended feature, in addition to or instead of the weird bike class streaming thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They should focus more on stuff like this. https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/status/1280156625664446465?s=19

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

That isn't why Tesla stock is stupidly overvalued.

Also other manufacturers had been making electric cars before Tesla was even founded.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

There’s a trademark-adjacent issue here that we might see come up, which is that a publisher might decide that they don’t want their game associated with a certain streamer because of their behaviour.

This is currently going on with the VirtualYoutubers. One of them is straight up not allowed to stream ArkKnights on their "work" streams anymore.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Europe spent like 1500-2000 years trying to kill each other. :colbert:

And also kill the rest of the world.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Retail space is constructed very differently from housing. If you're converting a full mall into actual living spaces, you might as well just tear it down and build an apartment building/complex on the land

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Wait, “steamed hams” are a real thing?! :stare:

They're cooked on a griddle, but have a cover placed on them that steams them at the same time

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Those deep fried french toast sticks are the greatest thing, even if they take years off your life.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, bought thousands of homes to attempt to resell at prices nobody would be willing to pay.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

In the before times, the Alamo Drafthouse down the street from my last place had you choose seats when you bought your tickets. When you sat down, you had to set your ticket on the little table each seat had, and the servers would make rounds before the movie started to make sure you were in the right spot before taking your ticket.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

When you bought an InstantPot, you probably weren't buying a second or a third any time soon. At some point, everyone who wanted one would have one and sales would slow down.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Softbank has a ridiculous amount of money. Holy poo poo they have so much money.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They work, DancingBacons has found some and posted videos on them. They just aren't things that work if completely cheaped out on, like people love to do.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6hemWBmjwG8

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Biplane posted:

Lol at giving Elon Musk any credit for tesla's success. Well I guess maybe the money he spent to buy his way in was maybe used at some point to build a car. He's basically Iron Man if you think about it

Tony Stark at least builds tech himself and has it actually function.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Precambrian posted:

I'm not in finance, so I can't speak for sure, but Paypal has revenues in the tens-of-billions while Patreon is in the tens/hundreds-of-millions range. Plus, Paypal currently turns a billion in profit every year, and I'm fairly confident Patreon doesn't turn a profit at all. So Paypal is what Patreon wants to be—scale up fast enough that they can be more like a large bank and absorb the overhead issues. I don't really use Paypal, so I'm curious if this kind of scheduled monthly payments might lead creators to switch over to Paypal tip jars like in the old days, or if the fee structure isn't good for them.

People moved away from Paypal because of the aforementioned random theft, and the relative ease in setting up the content "blogs". Patreon and all of its competitors at least won't just straight steal money out of the creators' accounts (as far as I have heard) with no recourse.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Knormal posted:

The only experience I had with the VirtualBoy was at a demo station at a thread-topic-appropriate Incredible Universe, and the demo station had a 5' tall sign of cautions and health warnings next to it. Not only did it do literal eye damage if you used it too long, but the device was so heavy it'd hurt your neck. The demo station device was fixed to a stand so you had to lean into it like an old nickelodeon, but decades later I knew a goon who had one as part of his console collection and even as a large adult man he said the only way he could play it for any length of time without straining his neck was by laying on his back on the floor and resting the visor on his face. It still fried his eyes after a couple minutes though.

It was meant to be used with the included stand, not worn on your face. It didn't even have any straps. You were meant to set it up on the floor or a table, then put your face in the visor.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Did you miss all the Goons pointing out the neck pain from using it with the stand as intended?

Did you miss that I was replying to someone whose post mentioned the weight of it and someone else using it like a regular headset (lying down and placing the heavy thing directly on their face)? The weight of the thing doesn't really matter when your head isn't supposed to support any of it (the stand should be supporting a portion of your head's weight).

I didn't say that using it with the stand solved every health problem it had. I had a VirtualBoy as a kid, I know how difficult it was to use for long periods of time.

Imagine how much worse its issues would have been if it did release with straps to attach it to your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

No. you would lie down on your belly and then stick your head into the stand.

My dude/dudette, the post I first replied to literally mentions someone lying on their back and placing it on their face in an attempt to reduce the neck strain.

MarcusSA posted:

Goons re litigating the Virtuaboy in 2023

Has anybody extoled the virtues of the holy VirtualBoy, blessed be its name

Other than Mario Tennis. Mario Tennis was worth it, for giving birth to the Mario+Sports games and thus, to Waluigi.