Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Ofecks posted:

There's a company in my town that has to fight the incumbents (Comcast and Centurylink) tooth and nail in court, plus front the massive amount of money it takes to lay the last mile of fiber, but the result is posting this from symmetrical gigabit. They've only covered 10% of the area's population so far. I'm super loving lucky.

e:

The only time the service has ever gone down in the past 2 years I've had it were scheduled maintenance outages. Price (normally $90/month) is included with my rent, and there are no data caps. I download 50+ GB games in like, 10 minutes. It's unreal. At these kinds of speeds, you're only limited to what remote services are willing to serve you. From my own experiences, this can vary wildly. The aforementioned games (from Battle.net and Steam) are really fast. I bought music from Bandcamp recently... less than a 10th of that speed.

e2: I wish everyone could have this internet. It's what people deserve.

drat, that's good. What are Comcast and Centurylink's arguments in court? I mean I understand they can be as frivolous as they want, but do they have legitimate complaints or are they just being cum stains? Obviously, deep down in my heart, I already know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
In Sweden the market is more less divided between McDonald's, Burger king and the local chain Max with BK being third. Haven't noticed any drop in quality, but on the other hand I think most Burger Kings in Sweden are franchised by the same few companies that also are franchisees of other fast-food chains so I guess that means some sort of leverage against corporate or whatever. Also they're fairly clever when it comes to advertising, like when that Irish chain was sued by McDonald's in the EU for using the Mc-trademark but lost so BK renamed everything on the menu to variants of "Not a Big Mac".

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/31/like-a-big-mac-but-juicier-burger-king-renames-sandwiches-to-troll-mcdonalds

They, or their agency rather, also did a tie-in with RDR2 where if you collected a cheese wedge, a bread roll, beef and pork in-game and scanned your inventory from an app you were given a voucher for a free whopper. I tried scanning my face which apparently resembles a cheese wedge enough to scan properly, I then tried it with my penis, turns out it looks like a bread roll :(

Site's still up if anyone's curious https://craftawhopper.com/

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Ooooh yeah, I completely forgot about the mess with their CEO.

This works for both Tesla and Nissan

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Comstar posted:

What happened?

Well the earnings report showed dismal numbers and the stock tanked like 11% after hours. Then the earnings call began and:

Musk announced that the CTO since 2004 and basically only talented and experienced guy at the executive level still at tesla would "transition" to an advisory role. He has also been selling of his stocks the past year, a very reassuring sign that everything is fine at the company.

On being asked about either demand or profitability on the models S+X (can't remember which) Musk chose to joke that they're good because otherwise the line-up wouldn't spell out SEXY. I'm fairly sure he didn't really answer the question.

When asked about how Tesla were to improve service Musk told the call how now commonly needed parts would be stored at the service centers for immediate use rather than in central warehouses to be ordered when needed. If your new to Tesla, loving up by refusing to use practices and solutions to problems solved by the auto industry for at least decades is very much their MO.

That's just from the top of my head, there was lots more and I can't wait for this train wreck of a company to die and let me stop obsessing about it.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

JnnyThndrs posted:

I remember when Lucky grocery chain in Northrrn California brought out a line of generic prepackaged food which was just like that, except the label was yellow with the big bold black sans-serif font. They even had BEER in six-packs.

Fake edit: holy poo poo, a commercial for it:

https://youtu.be/USDi0gP3lNw

Still very much a thing, at least in Canada

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)