Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

actually i think I said chimpanzees are better since they could actually be trained to hit the pictographs.

I've never seen a chimp detonate a lawn mower with dynamite before.

That's properly a monkey's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Those are basically the WW22 generation's version of people ....

How long have I been asleep???

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Rick posted:

Apparently AOL still has a healthy dial up business.

That has got to be more than autopiloting charges to as-yet uncancelled credit cards.

There are still active AOL accounts?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

Upside to a stillsuit is you don't have to worry about going to the bathroom, just let 'er rip!
Yer A Fremen Warrior, Harry!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

BigDave posted:

I forgot that was a thing for a while. Remember Mervins California?

I wanna Ruth's Chris' Kentucky Fried Chicken California

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

I mean this is a question that philosophers have argued over for centuries. What makes you, you? If you get your leg chopped off and have to wear a prosthetic, are you still you? If your body is damaged or killed and a new body is cloned but your mind is transferred in, is that you? Is there a soul? Does it get transferred or lost?

I'm not saying I have the answers here. Damned if I know. But personally, if you have a way to backup your mind, your thoughts, your experiences, and somehow transfer them into another blank vessel, you have achieved (mostly) immortality, as long as your backups are good. Maybe immortality is the wrong word but extremely long life.

is another take on what happens.
An echo's point of view

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

If only a superhero (movie) would come and save them.

:rohrschachsignal:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

also, regarding the Steamboat Willie thing, PD is a little more complicated than that and, at least as far as I'm aware, any iterations of trademarked characters that appear in a PD thing are themselves PD as long as you don't incorporate elements from still-copyrighted versions

so when Steamboat Willie goes into the public domain, people will be able to make stuff using that specific iteration of Mickey Mouse as long as they don't incorporate or reference anything from later Mickey cartoons. and if they don't extend the copyright date after that, eventually the whole stable of classic Disney characters will be effectively PD so long as you're referencing their old-school versions and not, like, Ducktales or Kingdom Hearts (I think the entire breadth of classic Disney cartoons is supposed to be PD by 2050ish given the current dates)

this specifically comes up fairly often with Sherlock Holmes, because some of the Sherlock Holmes material is PD and some of it isn't. as a result, you're allowed to make whatever Sherlock Holmes stuff you want, basically, but you can't use elements from anything the Arthur Conan Doyle estate still owns or they'll come try to gently caress your poo poo up (as that Enola Holmes movie on Netflix found out; fortunately, the ACD estate lost on that one, because their rationale for suing was really really dumb and included such things as "Sherlock Holmes did not have emotions in the PD stories so treating him as a fully realized character infringes our copyright")

e: and i think with Sherlock Holmes another complication is that ACD didn't invent the whole "hat and pipe" look, that's from the Basil Rathbone movies, and if you use that without clearing it first the copyright holders for those will come wreck your poo poo. sorta like how Frankenstein, the book, is PD, but Frankenstein, the Universal movie, is not, so if you make a Frankenstein thing that isn't for Universal you have to come up with a new design for the monster, because if he's green and got bolts in his head Universal will sue you.

This reminds me of discussions of dogma, more specifically in the Catholic church. Maybe IP is one of those things that shouldn't be rendered unto Caesar.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Joe's Sloppy Seconds

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I always thought cereals were plant-based food?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

How to tell if you grew up in Southern California - “pussy cow pussy cow pussy cow”

Thought it was "Go see Cal". For Cal Worthington and his dog, Spot.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Had to look this up. That's... ridiculous.

They're getting all tantric with it

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

The Queen of Canada suit is so disturbing. As the article says, desperate fools are falling into it and calling their banks to tell them to stop sending them bills for their mortgages because it was cleared and poo poo.

There are also people involved with the administration side that you can tell are thinking “I’m set for life if this somehow works”. Never mind what it would mean for the country if that lunatic actually got into power- and I mean poo poo throwing lunatic, because she is dangerously crazy.

The feds need to step in and deal with it, optics be damned.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

But what if I don't want to spend any money for emotional reasons or for unending satisfaction of appetite?