Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the only reason I ever went into my local mall was to visit my favorite game store. here is a story about that.

they'd been in the mall I think since it was built (in the 80s?), always a great tenant, robust business, all that noise. suddenly, Simon doubled their rent.

the guy who ran the place moved out, bought out his silent partner, and got a much larger storefront in a strip mall nearby, right next to an indie bookstore. now they've got room for gaming and snacks. they were thriving before covid, and started delivering games when the lockdown started.

the empty storefront in the mall (right by an entrance, primo spot) lingered for a while until eventually they moved the security office there.

I do not know what the gently caress the owners were thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I wandered into the one in New Orleans while I was walking around. the store was newly built and the biggest I've ever seen, which makes me wonder what the gently caress was there before.

the store itself seemed fine, but the front bathrooms were permanently trashed... just they said "gently caress it" and put up caution tape. I think people were just winging trash into the unused rooms.

the back bathrooms were fine, but I imagine plastered tourists don't think that far ahead. :shrug:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm always grimly surprised that libraries haven't been shut down in favor of free-market solutions

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ofecks posted:

I'm guessing music licensing is far more costly for home video like DVD releases.

it is. they've got to renegotiate it for every new technology, and the companies make more money every time.

this is an informative take on it:

https://www.vox.com/2014/11/3/7145231/shows-not-on-dvd-music-rights-wonder-years-wkrp

FilthyImp posted:

poo poo like Daria was probably a nice deal where "Hey, Gettin Jiggy with it can use some more rotations throw it in here" since MTV was just promoting poo poo at the time.

I specifically remember the State having this problem... they got to use any music they wanted, which led to this sketch that used the Breeders' "Cannonball" using whatever this non-Cannonball song is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksb8P0rK74U&t=10m26s

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

divabot posted:

this is why De La Soul's first two albums, two stupendously important records, aren't available for streaming or download. They only cleared the samples for records and CDs and tapes. So only the post-fame records are readily available.

and loving Tommy Boy won't negotiate in good faith. :argh:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hallo spacedog posted:

I love this kind of thing because I think soundalike songs are pretty hilarious. I often wonder about the people whose job it is to come up with these songs and make sure they are close enough to be kinda identifiable but not illegal.

I'm always amazed by their resourcefulness. I used to hear this a lot of this on Wonder Pets, of all things. they once played a few bars of Not Low Rider Wink Wink that were immediately identifiable but not the actual song

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a local Christian station here that's still broadcasting in UHF, which I thought was illegal

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
thanks for the UHF clarification.

when I was a kid, we inherited one of those rotating rooftop antennas. it was mildly hilarious... we marked the best point for each station, and NBC was at one extreme and ABC was at the other, so it was kind of an ordeal to casually switch stations. (still a dial TV, for that matter.)

I need one of those now. something about my house blocks most TV and radio signals

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
back when video stores existed, my then-partner and I went to the local chain looking for a horror movie. we picked out one called Aswang. it was about Filipino vampires, except these ones were white.

we then had the bizarre sensation of realizing that we'd already seen the movie, but it was so utterly forgettable that until a scene happened we had no idea what was coming up. everything that happened, we were like "oh yeah," but at no point did that lead to us remembering what would happen next. odd sensation, sort of like a dream.

in conclusion, movie bad. (I think this was the 1994 one. looks like there are a lot of Aswang movies out there.)

fake edit: heh. Aswang.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
people will always drive cars, for there is no better way to display a sticker of Calvin pissing on things

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Karia posted:

I'm sorry, do you not have a forehead?

and cover my tattoos?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Krispy Wafer posted:

losing their virginity

AceOfFlames posted:

All those things require money which young people no longer have.

I uh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I genuinely want brands of any food that is not inherently healthful and life-giving to transition into packaging that only shows the name of the brand, the contents of the container, and the nutrition information. Black and white with some neutral typeface. This is the dystopia I believe in.

not quite the same thing, but there was a company that did this with their food when I was a very small child. plain white labels that just said CORN or whatever.

I asked my parents about it and they said it was basically a marketing scheme: "our food is so inexpensive that our labels look like poo poo!"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

JnnyThndrs posted:

I remember when Lucky grocery chain in Northrrn California brought out a line of generic prepackaged food which was just like that, except the label was yellow with the big bold black sans-serif font. They even had BEER in six-packs.

Fake edit: holy poo poo, a commercial for it:

https://youtu.be/USDi0gP3lNw

yes! this is the type of thing and the era, but I think it was a similar gimmick at (perhaps) Kroger.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

letthereberock posted:

No one got the joke. I think they just thought I was special.

I was amused.

I poked around a bit and it looks as though lots of stores/companies did the GENERIC LABEL thing in the late 70s and early 80s

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ziv Zulander posted:

Don’t help on your phone though

I watch YouTube on Firefox for Android. uBlock gets rid of the ads and Video Background Play Fix lets it play with the screen off :c00lbutt:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Did any of you have a local Toys R Us that added an arcade?

holy gently caress, that sounds cool

I bought my Basic D&D red box set at Toys R Us (before I discovered the badass local game store that's still flourishing)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
around 20 years ago, the Quiznos in State College was almost entirely staffed by skinheads. I don't imagine that's the fault of the corporation, but I didn't go back to that location.

side note: I first noticed this when I saw one of the employees working as a door bouncer. he had white laces in his combat boots. I'd only just learned about that as a signal, and it kinda hosed me up. I'd never seen a full skinhead iron/celtic-cross muscle-shirt shithead jamboree in person before.

I was talking with my friends about it, and one of them (black, butch, lesbian) said, "oh, that's Jeremy. he's just confused. he won't talk to me when his girlfriend is there, but he's friendly otherwise."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Super Waffle posted:

Hell, Wawa sandwiches are better than Subway

even Sheetz sandwiches are better than Subway

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zem5bQ4SzMI

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ofecks posted:

Hm, where'd you get this? I live in VA and have relatives in NC and have never heard of Krystal. Google maps doesn't show any locations in either state.

there was one just into SC from NC, but it's been gone for... jeez, 10 years? I think they must have overexpanded and collapsed.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Volmarias posted:

The 90s was a musical badlands for me, everyone listened to "alternative."

when I was in college, all the local radio stations aimed at my demographic were alternative. no pop, no rap, nothing other than alternative.

the students running the college radio station, for reasons that I do not and cannot understand, insisted that said college radio station play only alternative.

so in my area, there was no alternative to alternative.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vegetable posted:

BBC investigation on OnlyFans

you'll have to be clearer here

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zil posted:

Then what is Nordstrom Rack?

B to C

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wankel13b posted:

If you were in college in the same timeframe as the quote you were posting, early '90's, then I think the issue was that the alternative category was born from what, up until then, was called college rock. You had bands like Nirvana and R.E.M. that were big on those college stations, so when that stuff broke, the record companies started mining that genre, bring it more mainstream.

mid-late 90s, so it was just the same top-40 alternative we were hearing on 3 other stations -- they weren't treading any new ground, which was what seemed bizarre. they sharply limited genre shows, too (though that was the place I first heard Goodie Mob). I kind of felt cheated of the college radio experience... everywhere else I've ever been has had a much cooler mix.

another good source for music is independent public radio stations, oddly. WNCW near Asheville (especially for old-time, local, and true indie stuff), WFPK in Louisville (everything, from what I recall), KEXP in Seattle (I only know them from the sample breakdown shows they play for 90s rap albums).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my only Macy's experience goes like this:

I had to buy a particular shirt, pants, and belt for a wedding, available only at Macy's or through some other online retailer.

menswear at this Macy's had about a half-dozen people working there, talking to each other, straightening stuff out. all late-middle-aged and kinda grim in general, and all actively hostile to the idea of helping me. I figured out my size but couldn't get checked out, so I gave up and ordered it from the online retailer.

could've been a bad day. could've been bad management. could be that it was an upscale mall and I'm clearly not a guy who's going to drop more than a hundred twenty bucks on threads at Macy's. could be that retail sucks, or that late capitalism is, like other people, hell.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

nah, it was rad. maybe a hundred bucks on clothes I'll actually wear vs the existential nightmare of tuxedo rental.

only fun wedding I've ever been in. or to.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Read After Burning posted:

Sorry if I came across as an rear end, I've just heard a lot of horror stories re. weddings...

not at all and definitely yes, respectively. weddings generally suck.

I see that David's Bridal declared reorg bankruptcy a couple years ago, meanwhile

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Nevermind, I really need that slutty cat outfit for my wife.

username origin story

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think they should stop flipping Vanilla Ice

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Random Stranger posted:

It, too, was interrupted after 54 lines.

lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"As GM goes, so goes the nation."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

20 Blunts posted:

had to come into this thread because I noticed it's still somebodys job to update the Kmart Twitter

holy gently caress

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there are a bunch of local chains or one-off fast-food fish places in Louisville and southern Indiana. they all look grim and dated and empty, and I always assumed they were holdovers from before Vatican II (but I didn't realize Lent was still meatless Fridays).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this discussion is making me realize that chicken fingers and fries are the American fish and chips

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyway gently caress Walgreens.

maybe you can verify/commiserate: I once overheard two employees talking about sales. they're measured against the same week in the previous year, so every year every store gets reprimanded one week sometime in early spring simply because Easter falls on a different week year to year.

there is of course not a commensurate level of praise for hitting the Easter highs on what last year was a normal week.

just depressing as ahit.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
more like Thanatos imo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
customer: Why do your fridges and freezers all look like a sad flat gray lovely void?

Walgreens employee: Oh, let me turn on your monitor.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AceOfFlames posted:

No joke, one scientist, Dr. John Ioannidis, decided to start investigating the company simply because he drove by the HQ and wondered why the hell someone would combine 'tyrannos' and 'thanatos' to name their healthcare company.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/theranos-whistleblowers-filed-complaints-fear-patients-health-started/story?id=61030212

loving amazing. thank you for linking this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Rockman Reserve posted:

airbnb just sent me a survey that was two questions, essentially "you don't actually read privacy policies, right, right?" and "haha just theoretically if we had a massive data privacy breach you'd still use our services haha jk jk jk but seriously y/n?"

so i'm thinking it might be worth watching them for a bit

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony.