Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Part of the problem with memory is shits getting too small. So very expensive to do shrinks past 20nm or so.

I remember back in the 90nm days how they would talk about how hard it is to get down to 65nm. They'll figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

darkhand posted:

i doubt racists are stopping twitter from making a viable product, do they even have a product?

The fact that they never charged for bootstrap was pretty stupid. That's a nice leg-up for web development they just give away for free.

e: macromedia/adobe made tons of money off of people who couldn't be bothered to gently caress with html (dreamweaver) and bootstrap is for people who don't want to screw around making their own javascript fuckery for whatever new trend is *the next big thing* (i.e. responsive sites)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Subjunctive posted:

What still amazes me is that they could take "#3 US web property" and manage to make a non-business out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This thread is circling the drain with this teacher slapfight :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

FilthyImp posted:

I had a feeling it was going to be the RFK site you linked. It's pretty much the McDonalds Coffee of school costs.

Some pertinent information :
The site had contentious litigation between the district and Trump guy, who wanted to demolish the block and build a giant skyrise mall.

The site had to maintain the historic "look" of the hotel it replaced, which is one of the reasons Trump dumped his claim on the site.

The builders were required to preserve the look of the interiors (a Paul Williams cafe, the ballroom Kennedy gave his speech at, the Cocoanut Grove theatre).

Pretty much any school site in Los Angeles needs extensive soil studies. Larger sites also require a methane gas mitigation system to be installed.

This is because the last honoree of "most expensive school ever for reals" (the Roybal Learning Complex) was stalled for years while the district found the funding to install the methane monitor.

The site houses 2 k-12 schools, a k-6 school, a middle/high school, and two small arts high schools. Cost to build schools equivalent to all that would be much bigger than the sites price tag. It's not just a high school.

I think it's kind of silly that site gets trotted out so much when you consider there are places in Texas where the school football stadium is spared no expense.

What's the deal with CA and methane? Didn't they have a huge pipeline leak for months that nobody did anything about for months? So often CA seems so penny wise and pound foolish.

E: For example, they have all this vapor recapture stuff on gas pumps to prevent vapor leaks. In addition, they mandated oxygenated fuels wtih MTBE. Turns out that motor boaters using that fuel put MTBE into the water supply reservoirs through the engine exhaust going into the water and cancer rates started to rise. poo poo like that.

BloodBag has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jan 13, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think the argument that some people are trying to make with respect to blindly throwing more money at education is something like this: We all know teachers don't get paid enough for having to put up with so many kids while also trying to teach the brats. The problem is how top-heavy schools are, and all those administrators dip their beak in any extra money and the teachers get little of it. Much like the rest of, everything, the little guys get pitted against each other for crumbs while the guys in power eat all the pie.

For example, PDF warning, the HISD principals get paid a loving huge grip of cash http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/...%20Schedule.pdf compared to the teachers http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/...20Schedules.pdf

I will add, that for Houston, those are all comfortable salaries to live on. It's gotten more expensive here with respect to housing, but it's still not as bad as some other places in the country. Also, HISD takes roughly half of what I pay to the Harris county tax assessor each year. I have no children. Fort Bend county has some of the highest school district taxes in Texas, and they're the ones pissing it away on that stupid albatross of a football stadium. I wish there was more say on how the money gets spent when they come begging for more each year. I'd say give it to the troops on the ground instead of to administrators and football stadiums or whatever dumb poo poo they want to piss it away on. But I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krispy Kareem posted:

I kind of want to see a Venn diagram of Circus-goers and Trump supporters.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The only thing apricot pits are good for is pranking people who eat a lot of almonds.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Beachcomber posted:

Uber has an evil logo:

And their name is not much better.

Also, I prefer lyft because you can tip.

My Mom doesn't care for Uber because of the name, recalls the old Nazi symbolism of Über mensch and so on.

Welp, that's my story thanks for reading :buddy:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Carrion Luggage posted:

Sprint/Radioshack is closing more physical locations.

Now I no longer have a local place that deals with sprint :(

I always thought of sprint as the AOL of wireless carriers. Most people got started on it years ago but have since moved on to things that aren't stupid and awful.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GC is better in Houston than the locals that have been here for ages. I wanted to support a local guy and had him refinish my guitar, it came back with what looks like krylon rattlecan all over it and he broke a bridge stud that is unobtanium that I have to figure out how to get made in the machine shop I work in. Meanwhile GC beautifully repaired the broken headstock on my Les Paul. It's nice going to GC to gently caress around on gear and try new stuff because everyone there does it. Going to a local where the guy just looks at you while you nervously bang out 4 chords of smoke on the water sucks. He just wants you gone so he can drink a beer and smoke a J out back.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rough Lobster posted:

So how loud did you get when you bellowed "gently caress off" in his face?

He probably just sighed as he drew his katana. :tipshat:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I thought fast fashion meant clothing that was so poorly made that it falls apart after about one season of wearing. See: H&M.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Atlas Obscura had a neat article on how failed fast food chains manage second acts.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/fast-food-failures

If you ever wondered what happened to Kenny Rogers' Roasters, it went Malaysian.

Thank goodness, something that isn't airplane chat.

I always liked Will Sasso for his Kenny Rogers impressions on MadTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRq88zMk3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if27InJBtEI

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Everyone on that show was actually funny when they weren't on that awful show

That show shat all over SNL simply because their skits were tight and short for the most part and didn't get by on celebrity names weekly. SNL is, and has been, great with a premise for a skit and then they realize they need to stretch this poo poo for about 3 minutes past when it stopped being funny. Very few old SNL bits bear the re-watching. And I'm going all the way back to the original cast when Dan Akyroyd was doing Fred Garvin: Male Prostitute. I have to say, the news with Colin Quinn was some of the most painfully unfunny poo poo I've ever suffered through.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

havalux posted:

Bowfinger was underrated.

Bowfinger was a lovely vanity project for Steve Martin like Fletch was for Chevy Chase or Who is Harry Crumb was for John Candy.

Hollywood is, was, and seemingly always has been circling the drain.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Having lived in Colorado, California, and Texas, I'm so sorry most of you don't get to live with the amazing store that is H-E-B. San Antonio gave a gift of great grocery stores to Texas with that. gently caress Safeway-owned chains, they all smell like rotten seafood when you walk in the door.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tumble posted:

I got physically thrown out of a YellowCab when i lived in SF lmbo
:words:

It sounds like both of you could have handled yourselves a bit better.

E: Manners are circling the drain.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Just when I think I've heard of the most disgusting avarice in the world, someone has to go and lay out Eddie Lampert's deal with Sears and, welp, here we've found a new low.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

food court bailiff posted:

There were entire portions of floors that were not only empty but seemingly abandoned. I used 'em to take personal calls and don't think I ever saw another living soul.

Do they still have their unlicensed Redbox kiosk with the big foam piece of bread?

That sounds like the perfect setup for office chair jousting or taking a nice long lonely poo poo.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We had capture rates for phone numbers and zip codes. If a cashier was below whatever arbitrary number corporate wanted that month we had to write them up. I don't think there was a manager out there that didn't "hint" at just using the store's zip code or making up a phone number if the customer didn't give you one.

I can attest to this. I was just shrugging it off when I was working at Radio Shack and then the manager came after me.

Now I can tell you all that lowe's home improvement stores is onto the old Tommy Two-Tone game of giving them Jenny's number. Regardless of area code, 867-5309 will not work at all. Bastards. I was having fun rolling that out to young cashiers that never heard that song. The older ones would just smirk. :corsair:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The book Salt Sugar Fat: how the food giants hooked us is an amazing look behind the curtain of just how food these days is so goddamn addictive. It's an amazing, if rather dry, read for anyone interested in the topic. The giants have been working on this poo poo since at least the fifties. 1900s

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

sweeperbravo posted:

When I was in elementary school I ate so much (sliced, fresh, deli) American cheese every single day when I came home from school (why stop at seven pieces? why stop at eleven? why wasn't I obese?) that I actually became constipated and the doctor ordered me and my mom that I mustn't eat so much cheese anymore.

The poop cramps were the worst pain I had ever experienced in my life at that point and I have vivid memories of sitting, trying to poop, actively wishing, as a 9 year old child, for death to come and take me so that I didn't need to feel the poop cramps anymore. I could not stop eating the cheese, though I guess I eventually managed to cut back on it.

I still loving love American cheese.

This but with jicama. I ate so much it stopped me up and I longed for the release of death. I don't eat that anymore.

Iron Crowned posted:

:barf:

One McRib was one too many for a lifetime

Also this. I remember biting into one when I was like 12 and the thing had like veiny tuber things in it that pulled out. I just about barfed. I've never had another since.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Houle posted:

There seems to be a pattern of companies building strip malls, filling them with teenage girl fashion stores. Al the stores go belly up or move into the mall that's ten minutes away, then while that strip mall is empty another strip mall is built.

And every strip mall is that ugly tan coloured castle theme crap that just saps away any and all personality from the area.

For anyone who's not from Houston, this post is Westheimer_road.txt

Start here and go West

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I would like to submit Etsy to 'circling the drain' club. My wife's two stores on etsy have been tanking hard, most people on there are getting shoved out of the way by overseas resellers instead of the handmade stuff they used to push. Search is broken (maybe Radium works there now?) Yesterday's buzzword-filled press release says they'll be making even more staff cuts (instead of moving their self-managed server setup to AWS)

Link

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Barudak posted:

Goodbye, True Religion.

Now future generations will be even more confused by the song My Humps

If true religion is gone, I wonder what the stores like Buckle are going to sell. 2007-2008 were a crazy time for UFC style clothes from true religion, affliction, and Ed Hardy (Christian Audigier)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sir Lemming posted:

Dammit Chipotle. I want to love you again.

CNN: Chipotle stock drops 6% on new illness report. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw_67zvjU

Perhaps a little premature to say they're circling the drain, but it certainly doesn't look good.

If Blue Bell continues to exist and retain customers that swear by it after a five year running listeria outbreak, chipotle should be fine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Neon Noodle posted:

Maybe it would be a good marketing strategy to have Sears be in a constant state of going out of business. Like around here, every oriental rug shop claims to be going out of business and having a HUGE CLEARANCE SALE. Some of them have been going out of business for like 20 years.

Sounds like the rug store that moved into the old Borders location on Westheimer road in Houston.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My wife and a lot of other people are slowly getting pushed out of etsy because etsy let a lot of shady resellers in. They lost sight of what made them worth visiting and are trying to be a technology company instead of a platform for people to sell their hand made stuff. Kinda like how every failed biz ITT didn't know what business they were in.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As someone with both a USA Les Paul standard and an Ibanez Prestige S, the Gibson is terribly made by comparison. poo poo, I have a Korean made Agile interceptor 727 that's miles ahead in fit&finish. And it keeps it's tune. Gibson needs to update how they make their necks, because they're utter trash for the ability to not break or keep tune.

For reference, the LP MSRP was $3400 (paid 1200 with a broken, repaired headstock), the Ibanez was ~$2000, and the Agile was like $400 used. PRS can make a better Gibson in this country, I'm guessing Gibson's got a lot of corporate overhead.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You wouldn't happen to live in Houston, would you? The galleria is the most overcrowded mall and the whole area is just a bitch to get around in, particularly during the holiday season. The other malls...not so much.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GWBBQ posted:

I'm borderline Gen X/Millennial (1984) and the thing I miss most about malls is the arcades. They're putting a Dave and Buster's in at one about half an hour from me, but it's just not the same. Unrelated, there was a mall near me that was so dead for years that it had dozens of empty properties, one shoe store, and one As Seen On TV store. It was demolished 7-8 years ago and is now luxury apartments with a McDonald's in the basement garage.

You're a millenial, I'd be borderline (1981) but frankly the generation should split at 1995 or so, when the internet became more commonplace in homes. I also remember arcades fondly as a child, but going to Dave and Busters as an adult just sucks. None of the games are worth a poo poo and I've got a more comfortable setup at home. I also don't have to wipe chocolate chip juice and pizza oil off the controls. Well, nobody else's, at least.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bonzo posted:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8215382/gibson-ceo-henry-juszkiewicz-guitar-retail-interview

Maybe I'm old but I can't think of a single time I bought and instrument without playing it. Now I do know there are situations where someone will buy a guitar/amp combo from Amazon because they are starting out or just curious. But these people are buying no name brands, not Gibsons.

Agile is a big name that comes to mind that I've never seen brand new in a store. I think the only way to get one is from Rondo music online. I have one and it's impeccably made and tough as nails. My 2017 les paul standard blueberry burst is a pretty, fragile thing that sounds pretty good and plays nice.The agile is an oar with strings and can double as a truncheon. (interceptor 727 pro natural mahogany) For gently caress's sake the thing has a 5 piece quartersawn maple neck that puts that stupid gibson neck to shame. You can find the gibson factory tour on youtube and see first-hand why the gibson neck is a terrible design. It's not quartersawn and snaps along the grain lines. They've been needing to fix that design since the silent film era.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

With Carmax at least, you can count on them to be on the high end of a KBB's appraised value plus an additional $1000 minimum. I also have a hard time finding cars there under $10k. Carmax sells off their 'scrub' cars at auction and others buy them. In Houston there are at least two that buy carmax auctions that won't pass carmax's inspections. Texas direct auto and emmons motor company, the former is also a *no haggle* dealer. Yes they all haggle, on your trade-in. I bought a car from emmons, it needed a new radiator and timing belt (mazda protege). I bought a car from Texas direct, it was repainted on the drivers side and needed head gaskets (subaru, of course).

A 'scrub' car is one like my parents did: a BMW with a chronic recurring check engine light that already cost them $4k+ (never buy diesel BMW) and they had the issue fixed temporarily and dumped it at carmax. I test drove just one of these that had the high pressure fuel pump fail on a test drive. Do Never BMW.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the big issue is that people expect to be dicked over by the dealers. Like one piece of common and good advice is "never, ever trust the person trying to sell you a car." Places that do no pressure, no haggle prices actually try to properly research the price and if it sits too long drop it until it sells. I bought my car from that kind of place; it was pretty much a standard blue book price for the model and mileage. The way cars are sold in America is mostly pretty broken; used ones especially. People mentally prep to have to haggle so if they don't have to they just get confused.

I for one like the no pressure, no haggle thing because it's like...I don't haggle over my groceries. The stores all post the prices and you just pay sticker price and walk out with your poo poo. I don't want to spend the whole day on the phone with every dealership only to have to sit there and verbally spar with some poo poo nugget that wants to extract as much commission as he can from me. If I walk into a place of business expecting the salespeople there to actively try to screw me over any way that they possibly can and the management actually encourages it then what the gently caress am I even doing there? How can anybody possibly look at that and go "yup, this is fine?" The car sales industry in America is scummy as gently caress. It's nice that there are dealerships that are going "yeah, bump that noise."

Literally nothing stands in the way of you going to a car dealer and paying sticker. Nothing. I think part of the reason people get poo poo from dealers is that they go in with a lovely attitude and expect to et hosed. Some people will pick up on that vibe and get ready to take it to you with a plunger handle. If you put out good vibes most of the time you get them back. Well, at least you do in Texas, it's a bit more chill down here. :clint:

I've posted in AI once after wondering what it's like to own a Tesla and have to maintain and service it, just like any other car. It sucks. Those cool door handles that 'present' themselves to you? They commonly broke for a while there and are supposedly fixed. Price? $1000. Each. People buy applecare-like warranties on the things. Imagine all the disdain and chagrin people heap on dealers about upsells and extended warranties and here they go out of their way to buy one for their tablet with a car attached. Oh yeah, that main screen in the P90 costs $4000 to replace. And the brake systems like to get rusty and stuck because due to regen, they don't get used often.

For more info, See here. I'm not making GBS threads all over Tesla, I'm pointing out the fact that those who lust for them tend to overlook externalities and ongoing maintenance of them. The whole city of Houston has only two maintenance centers. Otherwise, you void your applecare extended warranty. It's gonna be a total clusterfuck when the model 3 gets into more people's hands. Tesla doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support them. Want it fixed? Wait 4 months

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My previous boss flew to Germany to buy his BMW. That was replacing his first BMW because had a bunch of problems. Surprise, he had a bunch of problems with the new one. But he'll continually tell you about how great the engineering is and brag about having a BMW! I loving hated driving it too, as it felt unlike any other car I'd ever driven, every control was oddly placed and non-intuitive.

My current boss raves about her BMW too. And then complains about the cost of repairs and issues. Does owning a BMW give you a brain disease or something?

I had a 2002 325 coupe a few years back. Used, abused, and neglected by the previous owner. I tell people that BMW, the 3 series of that era at least, is a nice blend of luxury and performance. I go on to add that they are awesome to drive when they work right, and horrible to own the rest of the time. They were really cool looking and stuff, and people buy them off lease because they don't know any better and want to appear successful these days. The people that do know better lease them and let the next schmuck deal with the cost-cutting measures that surround the check engine light.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm the company logo that looks just like Weyland-Yutani on the bottom row.

E: Looking at the list, I can see a couple that I'll keep an eye on for cost-cutting and eventual serious decline in quality, starting with BRP.
- Ski Doos, Sea Doos, rotax engines, Evinrude outboard motors, those can am spyder 3 wheel motorcycle things.

BloodBag has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Mar 16, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Slime posted:

A bad workman buys bad tools. A good workman researches their options and buys the best that's within their budget.

You buy the harbor freight tool, and if you use it enough to break it, you buy a better quality one from somewhere else.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bonzo posted:

Malls used to always have that one shop that sold electric organs and pianos. The sales guys would be playing some basa nova Lawrence Welk type poo poo.

That frankly sounds fantastic. Every day we stray further from God's lighted piano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah... Ok, let me come up with a new metaphor.

Bain bent Toys R Us over it's knee and broke the company's back.

Sounds like Bain and the Iron Sheik need to have a REMATCH IN PONTIAC, MICHIGAN!