Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They/I said the same thing about Best Buy yet here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

You said what?

That they would be gone in 3 years....5 years ago. I was wrong, they really did change their style.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

If you are really really lazy on wanting to make pulled pork, Costco has "smoked pulled pork" that's actually pretty good. It's completely unsauced which means you can be a heathen and add glorified ketchup to it, or use a vinegar-based sauce. It has a nice smokey flavor too, which is hard to do if you are using a crockpot or something.

My lazy cole slaw is cabbage (yes you can use the preshredded stuff) with a mix of mayo and white vinegar, plus salt/pepper.

True about the pork but its mega mega salty

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Outlet Malls..they used to be a place where you can get deals on outdated or unsold merch. Genuinely overstock outlet goods.

Now they companies are wise to this. Most of the stuff you get at those outlet places are made specifically for outlet locations. So youre just getting the same thing as you would anyways, just slightly cheaper made and priced for the location.

Not a bad thing, mind you, but they arent "deals", just a different sub brand.

Also for tea, go to gong fu tea in the east village.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

The current dumbass at Sears saved Sears. It would have already died multiple times over had he not kept it on life support because of its real estate.

Sears could build a Kenmore Time Machine, go back to 1993, stab Jeff Bezos multiple times with a Craftsman screwdriver, and that bloody screwdriver would still outlive Sears as a company by decades.

Well wasn't Sears poised to be the Amazon of the 90's but balked at insurance and internet services, thus losing out on that explosive growth in the 2000s?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lop i remember that Radio shack thing. It was so..meta? Is that the word? Watching this ad, which i think was pretty funny, but knowing it wasn't going to get a single person to go to Radio shack. Just...why would you buy the most expensive ad time ever if you're going down like that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if applebees went all health food or gourmet it would recover.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

Nah. Once an establishment is known for catering to lowbrow meatheads, the elite(or wannabe elite) would never in a zillion years eat there no matter how much the food improved. That's why McDonalds continues to fumble and bumble its way along, trying to go upscale and endlessly failing.

Its not so much attracting "elite" customers, its more about making it palatable at all. Right now if I want to take my family out I can spend about as much money at Red Robbin and get a decent burger with bottomless fries. Or I can even go to a local join that has nice tacos or whatever.

Applebees just isn't unique or special or delicious enough to justify going there. But if it was a niche place where I knew I was getting something specific for that price instead of Generic_Chicken_Dish_01, I'd maybe consider going there since its relatively cheap and would have decent food at that point. They need to find a niche or die.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

welp, lol.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

They didn't have anywhere close to the effect that DNC partisans want you to think. It's a convenient scapegoat to cover their asses.

Is demonetizing even that big of a deal anymore? YouTube's changed their payout algorithms so much that people don't even bother to make money off of their channels anymore. Once upon a time, they paid a cooking channel host's rehabilitation bills after a serious bike accident. Now online personalities are looking elsewhere to get money. People who did Let's Play, both goons and non-goons, are all about that Twitch money now.

I dont thinj you should under estimate the power of bots, shills, and astroturf on soft headed uneducated white people. Of all the things that sway people to vote Republican, its like 30% actual thought out conservatism and 70% propaganda and social reinforcement

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We have a few Funko pops. They are cheap fun ways to show fandom and fill in little niche spaces on the entertainment center.

I can't see collecting them SERIOUSLY but they serve a fun little purpose.

Plus my kids love them. Getting my 4 year old a Moana one for CHristmas was a Good Buy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I'd rather have a cool rock on my entertainment center than one of those

We need to buy Professor Shark a Funko POP!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Having worked at Best Buy and being tasked with comparing prices and stuff, it's right up there with the other guys. It is actually part of why you're seeing the transformation of that section in their stores. The products are profitable, have service attachments, and they are really competitive price and service wise with places like Sears. I'm kind of a Best Buy fan boy from working there so long ago, but I'd still rather buy an appliance from not-going-bankrupt-not-depressing-to-go-to Best Buy than Sears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rndmnmbr posted:

You should learn the meaning of the word "hyperbole".

That being said, no, I don't want to destroy the earth to have clean clothes. What I really want - and which a lot of people have suggested, thanks guys! - is industrial appliances. It seems to me to be the only category left where disposable consumerism hasn't eaten away at quality. I'm sure I could buy a very nice washer at Best Buy or Home Depot, and it would last me a decade, maybe two if I'm lucky, but I want a washer I can leave to my grandchildren in my will. And with a good maintenance manual and enough spare parts, it might actually be reasonable with an industrial model.

Plus, considering that I have about a load and a half every weekend, a large capacity would turn that into one load and that seems like a really nice option.

Grandpa didnt leave us much. He had a few grand on credit card debt, owed a bit on a few trucks and cars, and didnt have any life insurance.

But he did leave us this 35 year old washing machine he got back in 2017. Truly a legacy we can be proud of, and shall remain in our family and on our family crest.