Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

If we are seriously going to have a 2016 Company Ghoulpool I'd say I don't see Twitter making it to the end of the year without being bought out.

I do not understand how they monetize.

The tech bubble is pretty close to bursting in general tbh. Kudos to that jabroni who sold snapchat for a gazillion dollars and got out while the getting was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

*a single tech retard raises his hand during a Ted talk*

wait, how are we supposed to monetize an app that's basically just a dick pic sending apparatus and why is it worth 3 billion dollars?

*30 seconds of silence followed by everyone running out as fast as they can to dump their tech stocks*

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Woden posted:

Every single taxi company in the world.

iirc the hammer is dropping in some case in california and if uber loses said case, they're going to have to treat their drivers like actual employees. at the very second they have to treat their employees like, well, employees, the entire company is bust

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i'm going to do a special shout out to TIME magazine because they're in some sort of cool paradox where they know they're dying with the baby boomers so they're making a bunch of "gently caress these dumbass millenial" things, which makes sure that they don't have a new consumer base in the future

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Well really, what the hell are they supposed to do?

i can tell you what you're not supposed to do and spending company making a book about yourself while you're firing your employees is about as bad as giving yourself a bonus while the company is crashing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

making a vanity book about yourself while your company is crashing is pretty much the equivalent to fiddling while rome burns in the business world

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i'm going to throw the company i work at into the mix. we've experienced a massive brain drain since the owner doesn't feel like coming into work anymore and he's filled all of the managerial positions with sycophants (including his literal mistress at the GM). he's gotten it in his head that we're switching systems and since he doesn't feel like coming into work, he's letting the managers go off into the wilderness to figure out how the system works.

nobody's been given any training, not even the managers. everything we've been taught has been derived from the managers hiding in their offices and stumbling around the system. the data department doesn't even know how to transfer our accounts from our old system yet, so their job is basically flipping a switch so the accounts automatically transfer over and praying to god that the accounts dont end up too hosed up from the transfer. meanwhile, the day to day maintenance of the office has gone to poo poo and the employees are probably 1-3 weeks away from open rebellion.

oh, by the way, the owner wants the entire system up and operational in the first week of march. we have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of accounts and he's adamantly refusing to okay any overtime for the data department to come in and work extra.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Avocados posted:

So why is twitter dying?

Is it one of those tech things that expanded outward but didn't get enough income to justify the expansion?

"wait, how do we actually make money off of this fuckin thing?" - an investor

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Houle posted:

I feel like news stations should be forced to pay Twitter since a good chunk of their reporting seems to be "and now our intern checked out hashtags so the under 30s will maybe watch tv again"

Regardless of whether or not you pay twitter, you need to make sure you don't pay the intern

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's hilarious that movie theaters keep adding frills like cushy chairs and dinner menus and all this poo poo when the main reason people don't go to the movies is because dumb assholes talking and playing on their phones during the movie.

We used to have a theater with a one-strike-and-you're-out talking policy and it was packed all the time. Then Carmike bought it and now it's a wasteland of trashy retards playing music on their phones during the movie.

It's also tickets being almost 20 loving dollars as well as every movie being a lovely remake/sequel/AAA CGI LCD clusterfuck

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I remember seeing avengers 2 in theaters and there were so many CGI explosions and over the top fight scenes I legitimately had no idea what was going on for 2 of the 3 hours of the movie

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

FishionMailed posted:

I mean honestly $20 for the ticket, $20 for drinks. $40.

I'd expect to pay more than that on a typical night out anyway

For that kind of money I'd have a lot more fun bar-hopping as opposed to having strip club priced bud lights while watching zoolander 2

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

vyst posted:

Enjoy your three drinks

I live in Cleveland and I drink rye so $40 is more than enough for a night of heavy drinking.

Doubles of my favorite rye are like $8

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

Whoah dude, that's not fair execs write tons of emails to tons of people, always on the phone, on-call 24/7

Yeah they know nothing about their company's products, business model, employees, partners, contracts, lawsuits, costs, revenues, or anything else but dude you'd be amazed at how much there is to talk about that isn't one of those things.

1. cut costs (fire people, cut hours, cut benefits, sell off anything that doesn't make money even if it's absolutely essential)
2. increase revenue (charge more for same product, try and make new products the company has no idea how to make, split existing product into 2 pieces and charge same for both)

Lemme write 80 emails a day about those two items, doesn't matter if my company makes software, dish soap, specialty cnc machines, does accounting, whatever doesn't matter. If it works I get a fat bonus, if it doesn't I get paid to go away.

Kind of interesting that for whatever reason you still get paid even if you massively gently caress up.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Houle posted:

Bestbuy killed futureshop because they had to pay those people commission. They told the staff it was because sales people would push services too much to line their pockets and customers would distrust them for that. Now that they are Best Buy they pay a bunch of college students and high school students a little over minimum wage and tell them to push all those same services or they will lose their job. But to also tell the customer that they do not make commission so that the customer can feel like they aren't being swindled since it is Best Buy lining their pockets. Not the salesman.

I did like the day to day managers there. I do hope they find better places of employment. They seemed nice and for the most part didn't like a lot of things district was forcing. Basically district would come in. poo poo on the store for four hours and threaten to fire the managers because installations or calibration numbers were down despite sales and geek squad being up. Forced. A complete switch of how the backroom is organized by taking down most of the shelves and taking away the chair and computer desk for a "standing area" for store to store transfer and a black shelf that everything would fall behind because that was a moronic idea. It was way better than working for Walmart though.

Re: district
Tbh if they worked on actual problems at the store they'd essentially make their own jobs redundant

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah I don't get why every company ever seems to think the way to success is to cut manpower and services as much as possible, and then like Radio Shack and some other chains, decide to put everything they have into ridiculously low-profit, low volume items that nobody in their right mind will ever buy at a store instead of the manufacturer themselves. Like why would you go into a Best Buy and buy a Samsung phone when Verizon and Samsung themselves both sell it cheaper.

the execs making these decisions know exactly what they're doing and make changes that short-term profits but gently caress up the company in the long term. the goal is to post the biggest numbers possible from slashing costs as much as possible and then bail before the ramifications from slashing said costs (brain drain, people stop buying your products because they're cheaper and shoddier than they were before) are felt

edit: this is also why the whole " IF WE RAISE WAGES WE WON'T HAVE ANY JOBS " shtick is bullshit because lmao if you think labor isn't cut to the absolute bone already

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

What the hell is the point of being a franchise then I could have just gotten In n Out ffs.

this is why fast food places are in serious trouble, btw. the only thing keeping them in business was being cheap and now they have to raise prices

i went to taco bell like 2 months ago wanting some trash food and i got 2 chalupas which, with a drink, ended up costing more than chipotle

edit:

reallivedinosaur posted:

It's not just 5 guys but there's a whole slew of "gourmet" fast food hamburger "bistros" popping up around that are all going to go down the shitter.

Burgers are forever but "fancy burgers" that aren't fancy is a dopey millennial "foodie" trend.

""
sorry if people like burgers made with actual meat instead of whatever mystery product mcdonalds makes their cheeseburgers from?

like i'm sorry if burgers made with things like vegetables and actual meat are too "gourmet" and "fancy" for you

Business Gorillas has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Feb 18, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

thathonkey posted:

How the gently caress are yall paying so much for fast food

If you want a combo meal and since idk like $7 at minimum? I usually get a large unsweetened tea so that adds a dollar or two to it.

Last time I went to BK the combos were probably reaching $8-9 which is how much Chipotle is for healthier, actual food

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

When I have to get BK I get two tendergrills and for a dinky piece of grilled chicken on a bread it's like $4.50 each

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

And this folks is how Chipotle got popular in the first place lmao

Grilled chicken, brown rice, beans, and salsa: unhealthy, apparently

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I like the idea of a list of cool programs to have since some of us are stuck in 2008.

I have ublock, qbtorrent, what else is a good thing to have? Is AVG still a cool and handsome?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

iPhones are literally circling the drain nationwide because girls keep them in their back pockets and probably 1 in 3 ends up in the toilet.

I've never understood people that do this. Sitting on your $700 machine is cool and good - a retard

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

Nah, they are going to spin it into an "empowering" brand for women, and I'd think licensing the logo is ultimately more lucrative than printing pictures of boobs onto expensive glossy paper and then stapling the papers together and mailing them to people.

That's like Trojan deciding their logo is ultimately more lucrative than condoms and decide to open up fertility clinics instead

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

Where do you see this? I loving love Spotify (and gently caress Pandora, I'm glad that poo poo is dying) so I hope they stick around without slowly bleeding out their entire music library (which is insanely comprehensive and good). I don't know anyone using Apple Music either.

though 'm a bit tired of hearing "Well.. the thing is.. I was just wondering if you wanted to...." "Lost for words? Share a song!" ad every 5 minutes.

i wonder if companies are ever going to stop the "hey, X is successful! let's make our own version of X!" idea. it happened with netflix and with steam and the only thing those things achieved was fragment the user base.

like who even bothers with Origin/whatever that thing ubisoft made on their computer?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I moved near NY from the Cincinnati area a while ago, and nobody up hear plays corn hole.

I don't know what people do after Church on Sunday. I've been afraid to ask.

I read your post backwards and I was right about to kick your rear end. You will survive to see another day

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Yeah those libraries that explicitly run as a non-profit service to the community sure aren't making a lot of money. They might go bankrupt soon if they don't increase their revenue stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

You guys aren't doing it right then. Being the only person able/willing to perform an important task is supposed to give you leverage. I definitely got out of other work back in my menial-movie-theater-employee days since I was the only person willing to climb up on the roof to change the marquee. Thursday nights were my 'gently caress you I have to change the letters' night.

What do they do when you're not at work if no one else can drive the forklift?

Lol WHY DONT YOU APPLY YOURSELF AS A RATIONAL ACTOR IN THR LABOR MARKETPLACE??? *gets fired immediately*