Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno about what their cars now specifically are like but I generally won't buy a Korean car. A little part made by Bosch called an idle air valve broke on my VW Scirocco a while back. VW and Audi stopped using the part in 1990 and it was only used on a few models so it largely seemed like I was screwed, that was until a search using the Bosch parts number revealed that the exact same part was used by Hyundai/Kia starting in 1999.

Now the part in question is fairly generic and something you could use out of a parts bin. But I do question Hyundai's design process when a part wasn't used by any manufacturer for close to a decade, Hyundai had no real tie to Bosch at that point, and then that part suddenly appears on their cars. Seems a little too much like they went door knocking to find the cheapest price possible.

I believe Hyundai/Kia has made substantial changes in their business processes and model since those days. As anecdotal evidence, I bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent used in 2015 and drove it until just a couple of years ago. When I sold it, it had 315,000 miles on it and ran quite well. I did have to install a new transmission at around 190,000 miles, and I agree the component parts were quite light-duty and inexpensive--but it proved to be a durable vehicle. I might also add that I rarely saw another Accent of that year on the road, because it was a relatively new entrant into the U.S. market.

I current drive a 2012 Accent hatchback that gets from 37 to 41 mpg on the road, highway. It's great bang-for-the-buck at that price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU