Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

FilthyImp posted:

Unfortunately Americans don't know the wonder of a Dave & Busters + Karaoke joint where you get a room for like $200. Play some TMNT, take some awesomely facetuned Japanese selfies, wail out some TLC into the dead of night when they cut off booze service.

A few of us are privileged to have such a thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
2 cents a share? gently caress, drop 5 on it and if it somehow goes up to a dollar, cash out for literally $250.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

sharknado slashfic posted:

Every single grocery store here is like that, 1 or 2 lanes open max. They keep trying to get away with it at WalMart too but it never works and the lines wrap around the store. Target seems to actually have cashiers for whatever reason.

From when I worked at Target, all employees had headsets on at all times, any customer interactions with the service buttons would ping all associates with the section that the request for assistance was triggered, and three alerts were sent out. If the alert wasn't cleared by 3, then hell got raised.

If more cashiers were needed, each department would have designated employees who would be told to operate checkout lanes. If people started lining up more than four deep, a call would go out for x number of cashiers. We would come up, fill in until the rush died down, then retreat back to our corners to resume what we were doing.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is PG&E the same utility as PSEG? I wouldn't think a California utility would have anything to do with New York.

PG&E were the bad guys in the Erin Brockovich movie. They've been bad guys for a long time.

PSEG took over Long Island. I remember seeing that and being confused since to me PSEG was always New Jersey to me.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
As long as areas with lovely-to-no internet exist and data caps being a thing, console gaming will need to continue to have a physical method of delivery.

A day 1 patch of 2.5 GB is a lot easier to stomach as opposed to a full game download of 69.420 GB, and then the 2.5 GB patch on top of it.

:911:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Local malls here are doing fine, but New Jersey is weirdly protective about its shopping malls.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Pakistani politics posted:

I'm a little disappointed that LaCroix is becoming the genericized word for seltzer water. Then again as a kid my Bostonian relative called seltzer "bubble water" so I can't judge. Polar wins out in all cases, though, I know not all regions have Polar. LaCroix isn't bad. And those are my opinions on seltzer water, which I love despite my love of Injustice.

Several people I know have started calling it Spicy Water or Angry Water and I contemplate why I associate myself with this tomfoolery.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All I really know about Zima is that I've never once met anybody in person who admitted to drinking any of it, there were commercials about it where a guy kept getting told he had a nice hat, and Married with Children made fun of it.

Al and Peg's dad were chasing a bear around the city because ??? and Al took the lead because the dad didn't understand the city at all. They came across a pile of empty Zima bottles and Al was like "oh yeah the bear has definitely been here." The dad was like "how do you know?" Al replied "because no human could possibly drink more than one Zima." I guess it was bad?

My only memories of Zima as a kid was the number of times I would see a sign at a wrestling show that would say something like "(Wrestler) drinks Zima" as a means of demeaning the wrestler that the fan didn't like.

Here I come to find out that Zima is just a cooler/malt like Smirnoff Ice? I guess in the 90s the association with it is that it's just a "girly drink" for people who can't handle BEER, like REAL MEN, and you're not a REAL MAN if you drink Zima.

The fragile male ego hard at work.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is not what the XFL is. The NFL already has a minor league its college football.

if college football is a minor league then the players should get paid and be able to take endorsement deals

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
My local malls are still packed on weekends for the most part, but that's unsurprising since New Jersey's shopping malls typically do really well as it is. The nearest one to me did just lose the Sears, so that end of the mall is closing up, but the Dicks Sporting Goods that is across the street is moving in on the first floor of the Sears space, and on the second floor they're opening up a Round 1 Entertainment Center, which I'm absolutely thrilled about.

Bowling, Arcade Games, Karaoke, Ping Pong Tables, but what I'm interested in is that since they're a Japanese based company, they've got legit rights to connect Bemani cabinets and connect to the eAmusement network that Konami runs, so as such they've got Beatmania, DDR, Sound Voltex, and other Bemani games, all at the latest versions and well maintained.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Randaconda posted:

Too early to call it on Nordstrom's and Family Dollar?

I think Nordstrom Rack is still doing healthy for them, despite the main upscale dept store struggling.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rowling is also an awful Blairite with terrible political opinions

I was about to say, Rowling is a TERF and I'm done giving her or her products any of my money

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

MisterOblivious posted:

Went to microcenter tonight. It's apparently the anti-Fry's. Shelves were packed*. The store was uncomfortably busy and the cashier said the lines were long all day, unprompted. He was a bit frazzled and thought he still had 3 hours of work left, not realizing it's Sunday and they close earlier.

*:Except OEM hard drives. That shelf was sad. It was mostly empty, completely unlabeled, and nothing I grabbed was over 500gb.

I love Micro Center. My last 3 personal builds, and my last 5 commissioned builds have been all bought through Micro. I just wish there was one in Delaware and not in Pennsylvania so I could ditch the sales tax, but making the trip to the Paterson one in North Jersey cuts that in half.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

mind the walrus posted:

God I miss arcades right now. There are "barcades" but they're almost always the same 10 lovely games that are cheap to maintain/repair/replace.

Check to see if there is (or will be) a Round 1 Entertainment Center near you. Japanese arcade chain loaded with games and purikura (Fancy rear end photobooth) machines

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Turbinosamente posted:

I can make a vain attempt to re-rail the thread: Anybody got any news on the Gamestop death watch? I was reminded of them when I got an email the other day detailing their changes to their pro rewards program. They've upped it from $15 a year to $20 and are now going to give members a $5 dollar off coupon each month. It's obvious what they are trying to do here, but I can't imagine regular coupons will get more people in the door at this late date.

It's 20 bucks if you want a physical copy of game informer, if you don't it's still 15 bucks. I still personally prefer to get my games in store as we've got a lot of problems with Amazon, and packages in general, at my apartment complex to the point where numerous signs are posted in the vestibule for package companies to only leave delivery slips. They don't anyway, so poo poo still gets stolen. Plus after the debacle with the Scott Pilgrim game on XBL and how those who purchased it can no longer re-download it long before the 360 went EOL, I've pretty much sworn off digital for anything but PC.

Gamestop is closing a lot of stores, but there's also no need for them to have, say, 3 stores within a mile of each other, which is how it's operating at the local mall near me. At the moment there's just too many of their stores in existence and they could use to consolidate them.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Nope, it's still in publication. They did a mass layoff of half the staff, but it's still churning out issues.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Krispy Wafer posted:

Using malls as distribution centers isn't the worst idea in the world. Only problem is DC's need quick in/out traffic for freight trucks and there's nothing easy or quick about getting in and out of a mall. They're almost always next to interstates though, so program the traffic lights to compensate and it could work.

I've never been happier to have seen my local mall's Sears having turned into a Dick's Sporting Goods/Round 1 Entertainment place. We don't need a fifth Amazon Fulfillment Center opening up in our area at this point.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
They just spent a shitton of money on one of my company's product and I had to work implementation on the drat thing for them. Can't wait to tell my boss about this tomorrow.

Eldritch BiLast has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Aug 13, 2020

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Carrion Luggage posted:

of which your company most likely won't get paid for

Nah, we make sure payment is complete before implementation is finalized.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

there wolf posted:

That's kind of what happened with bookstores and other media outlets. Little places don't have the overhead or need for mass appeal that big chain does, so they can get by with a smaller customer base and be a lot more flexible in what they offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if inde, dollar, and foreign film theaters got a little resurgence if one or more of the big theater companies goes down. For one their real estate will be up for grabs, and it's probably easier to keep costs down when your model doesn't rely on massive blockbusters that you pay out the nose for only to hand the studios most of the take. Also there are a lot of people who enjoy going to the theater as an experience who'll be free for poaching by smaller outfits.

If this means more theaters that'll show Rocky Horror, and I'll be able to get a cast going at a local one, then hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

vyst posted:

Homeboy probably uses Edge

Only browser worth using for Netflix since it's the only browser that does 1080p/4k with Netflix with little compression.