Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
radio shack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
office depot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
REI has legitimately good stuff. That's where I get my clothes for field work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neon Noodle posted:

Absolutely, because they show you design ideas and inspiration for interesting looks. In fashion magazines, the ads are content. When you think about the amount of work and design that goes into making those ads -- the clothes, the set dressing, the photography, etc. -- it's actually a pretty valuable chunk of content as a source of reference.

Exactly. And for an artist, they can be great reference for clothing styles and etc. And if you're a designer or into that scene, it tells you what's hot. If you're buying Vogue, you want the ads.

Vanity Fair also has a lot of ads, but largely for upscale products, because that's part of the package of things Vanity Fair readers want to know about (whether or not they can afford them). It's part of the image they're projecting for the publication, that it advertises Cartier and Dior. Always has incredibly solid journalism as well, though there's always some dumb celebrity fluff piece on the cover to help fund the stories about amazing niche crap only culture nerds care about, like the saga of Sumner Redstone. Vanity Fair is a great magazine, my favorite.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

So putting $40 vinyl copies of the The Wall in front will somehow move all the Hot Topic poo poo they sell?

People buy stupid crap all the time so... why not

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CoffeeBooze posted:

I haven't seen a Dave Berry quote in what seems like forever, wow. Speaking of 90s era icons circling the drain, whatever happened to that dude?

He writes a really popular young adult series about Peter Pan and has done some funny novels.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shopping is a social activity, I love to make friends when I'm checking out the shoes and stuff? Just the other day also I made friends with an employee at Nordstrom, it was cool.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Goober Peas posted:

I went to Penney's for the first time in years and was actually impressed at how nice it was. Then I started shopping and realized they intentionally keep a minimal number of items out so that it doesn't look and feel cluttered (looking at you Kohls). It works, but it also means that I had to ask for help for just about every item because they didn't have my size or the color or pattern I wanted out of the shelves. Which is annoying. Especially for clothing where you might want to try stuff on.

I actually really like JC Penney's now, it's a great place to shop and is set up excellently. People just need to go in there and give it a chance.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have no idea why airlines in the USA are all so loving bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Alan Moore is a crappy writer just better than most, and yeesh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you want a really crazy one, Lou Perlman was being paid as a member of NSYNC and Backstreet Boys despite being a fat pedophile because his accounting tricks cost the actual band members almost all the money they were supposed to be making.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I see this as kind of the result of two things.

1. Clothes for men are pretty standard and don't tend to be that fashionable; you probably don't have to try them on.
2. Clothes for women have veered towards cheap, disposable fashion; if you get a dress you don't like, you're only out like $20 and you give it to Goodwill, who are flush with clothes no one ever wore

I think both of these things are issues. Men should have clothes that fit them properly available and know how to wear them, and women should focus more on having fewer clothes that are better-built.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Quidam Viator posted:

We're awash in a sea of cheap clothing, in a society that increasingly doesn't enjoy or want the retail experience, and where there are so many online or app-driven options that I think CheesyDog's quote best describes it. It's an expensive mess and who wants it anyway?

Clothes shopping is super fun if you're good-looking and rich. Well, fewer and fewer people have less and less income, and beauty standards have convinced normal people that they're hideous. I'm 5'8" and a size 4 and I've broken down crying in dressing rooms because I'm fat :shrug:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

The Onion "What is the biggest rock?" TED Talk was more illuminating than any actual TED Talk I've seen.

They're all good, but my favorite was this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Gymboree is closing too. Tough time to not be a brand that can be sold on amazon.

Do people not care about clothing their children any more or what's going on?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loving love my cat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And I'm quite frugal, but I don't know. I think I'd have a hard time being as cheap with any kids I had as with myself. I just hate seeing kids cry, it's the worst. And when my cat goes meow meow he is going to get food or petting or a new toy or some catnip or some silvervine or something. Cafiffle put it best: "My cat eats Wellness, I eat hot dogs."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Never, EVER fly Spirit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

vyst posted:

I've flown Spirit like 10 times and have never had a problem. Sucks to be yall

Yeah it's not too bad... if you're the GREMLIN!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Winco, Costco, Safeway, Trader Joe's. When these exist, why the gently caress would you touch food from a wal-mart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Theres been an Avocado craze, since it was labelled a :airquote:SuperFood:airquote: a few years back.

poo poo is everywhere from Cesar Salads to Smoothies. Reminds me of what happened with Kale and Quinoa.

I kind of wish 4Chan would troll Whole Foods into thinking Chard and Raddishes were SuperBiotics, just to see that poo poo explode.

Please don't I love radishes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Goodwill is more expensive than Target here. I don't know why anyone would bother.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Goodwills are absolute horseshit now, to the point that in Portland they now have a Goodwill for the "fancy" stuff they get donated, which I think is entirely against the spirit of a thrift store. Their stores in Oregon are super posh now too.

The only good deals are at lovely thrift stores in busted out old downtowns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

there wolf posted:

Goodwill's primary function is job placement for people who would otherwise struggle to find work, not a place for people to pick stuff up cheap. It's not really fair to compare them to stuff like Salvation Army or Habitat for Humanity stores which are explicitly about providing low cost clothes and household items for people who can't afford them elsewhere.

I don't give a poo poo, there's no reason a Goodwill has to cost more than a Target. It still smells like rear end, they get their product for free, and they don't have to pay minimum wage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BgRdMchne posted:

I went to Hot Topic a few weeks ago to buy some bondage pants. It turns out that all their Tripp clothes are online only now. Most of the store was Disney and Star Wars merch.

Yeeeeep. And Tripp pants are dumb but they're also really comfortable so it sucks. They made good shorts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know Target has increased the size of their toy section to better compete with TRU

And once TRU dies they can shrink it again! ha ha!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

I remember when I was a kid, the "fancy" toy store was FAO Schwarz. I remember going to the "big" mall, which according to Wiki is the 4th largest mall in America, was a special thing even though it realistically wasn't THAT far away. It just wasn't the local mall, which Wiki says is the 5th largest mall in America, but I don't recall ever having a toy store worth a drat (although it was across the street from the Toys R Us). But as a kid, that FAO Schwarz had all these videogame consoles hooked up with "demos" that would reset every 15 minutes or so. I got really good at the first level of Sonic.

RIP FAO Schwarz, although now that I think about it, I don't think I ever bought a single thing there.

I miss FAO Schwarz because I don't know where else you can get the big HANSA animals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gorgar posted:

I have one of the big lions. Think I got it at a zoo in Louisville.

Same, I've got the one Barron Trump has.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The dingiest, shittiest, most Mad Max lookin K Mart in America is here in Beaverton OR and it will literally never close.

Did you ever see the one in Albany? It was haunting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

walrusman posted:

Now it's a Winco and I am pretty happy. :)

Albany also has a carousel now and it is legitimately really, really cool and good. It was carved by community members and has all sorts of lovely animals. I would recommend anyone make the trek out there, yes, to freaking Albany, to see it.

The carving studio is open too since they're still making more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

Does Macy's still have that policy where they accept returns no questions asked as long as they can determine that yes, this product was something that Macy's has ever sold? Like someone brings in some rough, hole filled scraps of leather with the maker's mark still on it and the store has to let them trade for some designer shoe on the floor?

That was Nordstrom, most notably with respect to shoes, and they can't do it any more because assholes who abused it hosed it up for those of us who treated it with honor. I once made a Photoshop about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

It's kinda shocking that they seem to have fired like more than 75% of the "successful" portion of their video team (they have plenty of bad videos just as often), but Cracked is very recently I've noticed, gone waaaay downhill very fast. Like the past month half their articles on any given day are trying to sell you products, and they don't hide this even in the headlines. And a lot of the other articles have felt super low effort all of a sudden, where just like, the little reader based picto facts that have replaced their photoshop contests are the only things halfway interesting, and even then half the topics are completely individual opinion based. It's real sad, I've been a cracked reader for years and very recently there was some sort of big change and now they're going straight down the toilet bowl with zero hesitation.

I agree but I 100% stand by Katie Willert, Kate Stoll, and Michael Swaim being hilarious. Hell, I thought Swaim was great since his Those Aren't Muskets days.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neon Noodle posted:

Maybe it would be a good marketing strategy to have Sears be in a constant state of going out of business. Like around here, every oriental rug shop claims to be going out of business and having a HUGE CLEARANCE SALE. Some of them have been going out of business for like 20 years.

I have to wonder if it's just tradition for them at this point.

Article about this phenomenon from 1987.

Pick has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Dec 28, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

Can a non-musician tell the difference between a pro playing a student violin and that same guy playing a 20k model?

Yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kirbys are loving good but yeah, like $1000 good not $2500 good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Is there some mythical place that exists where paying by cash could save money. As long as Ive been alive Ive never been to any store that offers that and sure as poo poo for my time as retail employee no company Inworked for ever offered it yet without fail there were those people so they must have learned thay behavoir somewhere.

Oh yes, there are. Often places where they obviously aren't declaring income, is one.

Dental work and plastic surgery are others where it's fairly common.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd go into Hobby Lobby from time to time before they revealed themselves to be awful and I was always struck by how much of their floor space was dedicated to terrible knickknacks I couldn't imagine anyone ever buying, rather than the arts/crafts/hobby stuff I assume is their main reason for existing. Like, who is buying all of these large, non functional washboards with some banal message about Jesus painted on to them? I guess they must move.

Real art supply stories are vanishingly rare because, sort of like legitimately playing an instrument, very few people do it any more. My mother has a ~$45,000 piano but realistically she'd be lucky to sell it for anything because no one loving plays any more. Most art supply stories have Old Holland oils because you need to have oils or you're not an art supply store, not that anyone but me ever buys them because no one freaking paints in oils these days.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just go to loving galleries even and tell me how often you see oils.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ryonguy posted:

Uninformed question: are there really artists who insist on oils over acrylics, and why?

They're incredibly versatile, more so than acrylic. Also oils tend to stay truer as they dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Baby grands are decor.