Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Pretty much every company based around oil is getting hosed right now. BP is losing more money this year than right after the Gulf spill. And small companies without a ton of capital are just going belly up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

Humboldt Squid posted:

Coal companies are making GBS threads themselves to death as well, since the writing is very clearly on the wall for coal.

Yeah for them I think it's more a matter of how much longer can they afford to keep buying off politicians.

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

Yahoo shares are in the toilet and Marissa Mayer has driven away pretty much all the top talent at Yahoo. Those employees she hasn't driven away or fired, apparently refer to her as Evita (Eva Peron) All that's left for her to do is to gut the company and sell off the pieces. It's always funny to see a person with such a massive ego fail miserably. Wonder if she has any more glamour photo shoots coming up.

Hopefully Snapchat, and the other tech companies with insane valuations, no earnings and smug CEOs come crashing down next.

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

Automatic Slim posted:

If her ego is as massive as you say it is, then she'll be fine. She'll have a few pat excuses., chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on. She'll sit on a few boards, maybe become a VC herself. People of that echelon may have a damaged professional reputation, but they will still live comfortably.

Oh I know. Once you reach that level there is nothing, short of maybe becoming a serial killer, that can ruin your career. Most of the CEOs who bankrupt their companies in the financial crisis (and became the most hated people in America) had golden parachutes worth tens of millions and started their own companies, retired super rich or fell right into to other loving CEO jobs.

But even if they eventually get back up, it's still fun to watch them fall from their high horses.

Pawn 17 has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Feb 10, 2016

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

redreader posted:

Yahoo owns alibaba (the chinese ebay) shares, so many of them that it's like 15x the value of yahoo itself. They can make a drain into which they throw money daily and still have tons of money forever. Yahoo's web business may not be doing ok but they have fucktons of money. Like more than you could ever spend.

Except it actually can't sell those shares or even spin them off into a new company because then yahoo would owe something like $10B in capital gains taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

I want free poo poo in return for my unbiased and honest review of 1 star.

Also I loving hate it that every time I buy something from Amazon, I get an email asking me to give some free advertising in the form of a 5* review. gently caress you!

Pawn 17 has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Feb 28, 2016