Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Fondly remembering my Radioshack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

No one named Cathy/Kathy has ever had anything of merit to say.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Can we talk about radioshack or something now?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Is anyone actually going to stop drinking bepis over this, though?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

SKYKING

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Comic book movies.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

What do you care what other people think?

Because human condition.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Machai posted:

like with his penis?

No, with his prehensile tail.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I get really nostalgic for old media (games, VHS, DVD, etc.) if see it in a resale shop AND it still has labeling on it that it used to be a video store copy from a local, long-closed, video store. More so if I can deduce it was actually something I rented at some point years ago. I have mixed feelings about collectors of things stripping those off because they almost feel like they add some personality to an otherwise sort of mass-produced item.

It might've been in someone's butt. Just saying.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

a dingus posted:

The entire airline industry is awful and I'm surprised people put up with the garbage that they do. It takes hours just to enter the airport and board the plane, the service people are as polite as the gestapo, the gates and airplanes are cramped, delays and cancellations are rampant... and if it happens and you're stranded? Well tough poo poo as a desk employee my shift is over I'm going home have a nice night sleeping on the floor.

It's poo poo from all angles.

9/11.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

walrusman posted:

God, sometimes I wish they'd just close. A Fred Meyer (Kroger) where I shop sometimes just wrapped up a big remodel, which involved shutting the store down by thirds and completely ripping it to shreds - new floors, new shelves, new fridge cases, new layout. They wouldn't tolerate losing business during this phase, so they just crammed everything into 2/3 the space and carried on like nothing had changed. It sounded and smelled like a construction site instead of a grocery store, and when they tore up a section they'd stuff the products into totally nonsensical places. Bread aisle to the front by the jewelry store, wine section reduced to two end caps near the children's clothes, fruit in the parking lot, etc. It changed several times because they were doing it all by sections, so it was impossible to find anything even if you had tracked it down the week before.

I couldn't help thinking that if they'd just shut the store down for a couple weeks, they could work multiple shifts and bang it all out without disrupting business too much.

To make this thread-relevant: how are grocery stores doing these days? Whenever I'm unfortunate or desperate enough to go to Safeway, I always see a line stretching over the horizon while a single cashier begs into an intercom for help that never comes. It's frustrating as a customer and it must be hell on the employee, too.

I like my local Big Y. It has a bakery.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I'm capable of eating a fast food cheeseburger.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The store that used to be a radioshack in my town is now a computer repair shop.

Okay God bless.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Edit: READING COMPREHENSION.

Volcott has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Nevermind!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

You can be a drug front and hire competent kitchen staff.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

computer, show me a howard the duck funcopop. disable safety protocols.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The only pop-up stores we get around here are for fireworks.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

No, more mutants.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Since this is temporarily appliance chat: what's the deal with front-load washers? What's the advantage there?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Isn't Samsung basically a computer hardware manufacturer who happens to make other junk to sell even more hardware?

With gently caress tons of corruption of course.

They're a zaibatsu, they make everything.

Also, Samsung's actual panels are very high quality, their smart TV interface is something I don't have any experience with.

Volcott has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Oct 24, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The Umbrella Corporation makes really good noodles.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Their emoji font is nightmarish, though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just don't use emojis. Problem solved.

Sometimes people need to know I feel eggplant Japanese goblin.

Also, when did Vizio start being anything but tinny Wal-Mart garbage?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I haven't been in one since the 90s, but I don't think a JCP looks significantly different from a Kohl's. (Faux-marble pathways leading in between departments, with the merch on carpet.)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

My parents, when I was very young, had a bad experience at Sears with a rude customer service person. From that day on, they refused to even step foot inside a Sears, and taught myself and my two siblings to NEVER go there. I heeded their advice until I was in my twenties, when I needed a specific dress shirt or something. I couldn't find what I wanted at any of the other department stores, so I decided to check Sears as a last resort. It was deserted, dirty, dingy, and miserable and only served to vindicate my parents stance on the company.

Did it have the shirt though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

One time I drove an hour to a Sears to get an air conditioner because it was late enough in the season everyone else had put them away, and I showed them my claim ticket and walked out. My mother, due to a communication failure, showed up with the same claim ticket and walked out with a second air conditioner. We called them up and paid for the second one, but the clerk full-stop told us if we hadn't done so they wouldn't have known how they ended up missing an air conditioner at the end of the day/week/month.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Weird Kmart background music thing: is it just me or has Kmart not changed their background music system since the mid/late 90s? In the couple of times I shopped there it was a mix of early/mid 90s music.

What's odd too is I recall visiting this mall in Ohio and noticing the odd choice in music back around 2005, and it seems like in 2017 they are still playing the same stuff. My understanding is that in the mid-90s they stopped using cassettes and started using a satellite feed to broadcast background music/announcements to all their stores. Maybe they had music licensed with an unlimited use royalty, and just were too cheap to never change it? Like the record company executive was thinking "OK, we licensed them these fifty songs to use... there's no way in hell they would be caught dead re-using the same music for more than five years!" I am pretty sure that they need to pay royalties for the music they send to however many dozen stores are still open.

Or maybe the people in charge just really like "Cotton-Eyed Joe" and "Twilight Zone" (the one by 2Unlimited, not Golden Earring). And "Conga".

I need to solve this mystery.

I mean, Cotton-Eyed Joe is really good, so it's a possibility.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

The Death of Superman, believe it or not, was also done to delay the comic wedding between Clark and Lois so it could match the TV version for maximum cross-media synergy.

Off the top of my head, as someone mentioned, Spiderman got a cool clone guy (Scarlet Spider)
Thor took a break (Thunderstrike)
Supes also got 4 reinventions before Electric Blue (Teen supes, black guy supes, cyborg supes, visor supes)
Booster Gold got his arm ripped off and needed a life support suit (Extreme Justice)
Captain America resigned (Nomad)
Martian Manhunter wasnt in JL so he cosplayed (Bloodwynd)
JL Hal goes nuts (Kyle Rayner)

Emerald Twilight is worth owning just for this cover.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

McPhearson posted:

I have a USPS package that was delivered about a month ago but the tracking number still says it's on its way, and the last entry says tendered to a military agent :wtf:

What did you order?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

This is retarded.

That something positive came out of a blatant attempt to hobble the organization isnt praiseworthy you muppet

It's joke.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not sure if I've said this before but I'm kinda pissed all the malls within driving distance of me are reasonably healthy and not something Dan Bell would wander around in.

I also want to wander around in a dying mall. It would be a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

CVS is apparently doing well enough to buy my insurer, which is just hot nonsense. Their brand news stores somehow look like they haven't been updated since the 90s. And the smell.

Why do they always smell?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I still test strings of christmas lights before I hang them up out of habit and because it's more work if they don't light up once they're already in a tree, but I don't think any of the LED ones have stopped working on me yet. They're pretty good.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Remember, it's super illegal to feed people cremains without their knowledge. Obtain enthusiastic consent before you have an essence grokking party.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I don't like that they work their warehouse staff like it's a dickens poorhouse, but I've never had a problem with the customer experience side of amazon. Just this past month someone left a bunch of packages up against my mom's garage door, she didn't check her backup camera and she ran over like 200 bucks worth of Christmas presents. Amazon sent out replacements by the end of the day, didn't even have to argue with anyone.

Those third party sellers can be shady as poo poo, though. Don't trust anything that was "just launched."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

queserasera posted:

I wish Regretsy was still around. They did a series on handmade from AliExpress.

The lady who ran it deleting the site and redirecting it to her CV had me really salty for a brief period in, like, 2013.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

So he's gonna take out everything even remotely enjoyable about football and replace it with... what, exactly? Jingoism?

Wholesome CTE.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

If the XFL actually comes back it means GATTACA is canon again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

You're thinking of The Sixth Day not Gattaca

:yeah: