Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember Nintendo was considered unusual for still having huge cash reserves (mostly from the Wii) but it seemed to pay off in the long run. And apparently it's nearly impossible to buy out Japanese companies, so they didn't get bought by Disney or whatever.

If they didn’t have giant cash reserves the WiiU would have probably sank them, that was just a disaster from top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Nintendo could keep up on hardware just fine if they wanted to, Sony and Microsoft’s stuff for this generation and the upcoming one is just stuff they bought from AMD. Their business strategy is to make money on hardware, so they go for lower spec. The Switch is almost entirely off the shelf parts too. None of ‘em are doing their own R and D anymore, by and large.

I don’t think any malls that survive the lockdown are going to have any problems when they open up though. There’s a ton of people that are stir-crazy and want to actually go to the store to buy stuff. Hell, I found myself craving Applebee’s the other day, which was bizarre. I think stuff like malls and chain restaurants are going to get at least a short term influx of nostalgia cash.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a certain je ne sais quoi about renting things the old way. Now you can practically rent anything from your fingertips, so it doesn't quite have the value it had 20+ years ago.

I mean, if I want to watch Train to Busan, it's on Netflix right now. If it was 20 years ago, I'd have to go to a specialty video store and hope someone else hadn't checked out the only copy. If it was checked out, you'd end up having to pick something else that they did have in stock, because why the gently caress would you go home empty handed?

It's probably also why we get stuck in cycles of just scrolling through what's on the streaming services. It's all there, you can watch it any time you want, but not right now, and you just scroll past the crap, until you finally cave on something. In video store days, when Day of the Dead was checked out again, you picked up something else like Jack Frost because it had a sweet lenticular cover.

I think renting movies like that in the 90’s is why I love b-movies so much. Tons of times the new thing you’d want would be out so you’d get something with a sweet cover of Jean Claude Van Damme kicking a dude. I honestly wish those stores still existed. Redbox just isn’t the same.

Two of my friends worked at the small local non-chain one and it was the job everyone wanted. You made good money for a 2004 high schooler (like ten bucks an hour) and got to sit around and watch movies all night.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

That people buy food and drink at the movie theatre is so alien to me. We never did it.

I have gotten a bag of popcorn without actually seeing a movie many times. Movie theatre popcorn rules.

Volmarias posted:

This is like half the titles I see advertised walking past a Redbox though.

True, but browsing that is totally different. It’s way more fun when you’re walking around some bizarrely organized store and kind of idly seeing what catches your eye. Maybe playing a game of pac man on an elderly arcade machine in the corner. The act of browsing redbox is just standing in the corner of a grocery store tapping a screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My favorite record store closed today, speaking of music and dying industries. It was kind of just a matter of time now that everything is digital and it’s in a stupid expensive town for storefronts (gotta love New Paltz) but it still stings. Just like what I was saying with video rental places, there’s something to zoning out and flipping through music idly to have you stumble on some great stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

There's still Spike's Record Rack in Catskill, although he's closed for Covid (he's been listing individual albums on Instagram and letting people buy 'em and come pick 'em up, though).

I’ll look up that Instagram! Might buy some stuff just to help keep local records stores open.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve only been to an eat in theatre once, when Alamo had a special event (Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat double feature!) and it ruled insanely hard but was like 4x what I usually spend on going to the movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sekhmnet posted:

Yeah and it takes like 30-45 minutes for an order made during the movie to come to you; that first beer will have worn off by the time you get your second so whats the point?

A dollar movie theater with dining service would be great, I wonder if there are any of those around. I miss going to the cheat theater and watching 3-4 movies in a row. You feel really weird walking out after like 8 straight hours of movies.

I miss the second run theatre that was near me. After I graduated high school me and one of my friends went on a Tuesday when it was a buck a movie, put down a twenty dollar bill and told the cashier we were gonna be spending the whole day there. Did we watch some movies twice? Absolutely. Was it a really awesome day? Hell yes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gotcha. I just looked it up and it's not even a department store so I'm not sure how I thought they were related except for the names.

Did you have salad? People get a lot of food poisoning from lettuce or other veggies that get contaminated by bacteria on nearby uncooked meat. The germs get killed when the meat is cooked, but no one is cooking a salad bar.

If rice isn’t stored properly that’s another big one that people don’t consider. It’s usually full of B. Cereus spores that can reactivate unless you keep it at proper temps.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I despised Quibi just because their stupid ads were all over the place. And there were like three of them. So whenever I’d be on Facebook or twitter I’d have the same dumb ad jammed in my face every thirty seconds and gently caress that, and gently caress them. It’s like some companies don’t understand oversaturation is a thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Aren't most of the other gaming mags dead now? I haven't kept track in a long time but I thought those were mostly gone (as they should be, since the things you used to only be able to look up in a gaming mag are all online now and have been for ages).

EGM is technically still barely holding on as a website and CGW has been dead for most of a decade, so yeah, it was kind of the last one standing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really thought EGM was totally dead by now

They keep dragging its corpse out as an online only thing every now and again but everyone who made the magazine good is long gone. They don’t even do long form articles anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigDave posted:

It's so weird to remember how big of a deal gaming magazines used to be.

Big enough that they inspired that old webcomic PVP.

I got EGM and CGW for years, for free for most of them thanks to what I assume was some kind of computer error. I used to love when those showed up in the mail. Both of them had some really well written stuff. When you compare their output to games websites of the time, or even now, it was like night and goddamn day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigDave posted:

I would get 6 months of free Game Informer for no reason as well. Just out of the blue *bam* here's the latest updates on Half Life 2.

I got every single issue of both from September 99 (I remember because it was the Dreamcast launch issue of EGM) til... at least August of 06 when I left for college without paying a dime. It was goddamn bizarre.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

They can suck the covid isolation gear sweat right off my balls

Tyvek suits fuckin’ suck in terms of sweat, I have never felt grosser in my life than I have after wearing one to haul some 300 pound dude out of his house.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

They shoulda thought of that 20 years before he sliced people’s heads off!

Hey, he at least got people thinking about their fleet of white Broncos. You don’t do that by not trying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rick posted:

National is only in airports here. Enterprise has an out of airport monopoly now unless Hertz comes out of this.

There’s still Avis/Budget, isn’t there?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
NY isn’t putting malls in the phase 4 reopening for a while, and I’m wondering if it’ll kill the mall near me. I hope not, I enjoy going there to kill some time on occasion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Piss Meridian posted:

Out of a loving cannon

Edit: and execute the magicians, Boone wants them running around causing trouble

I know that was an autocorrect thing, but now I'm imagining a crime boss named Boone with a bunch of clown goons running around causing mischief. Perhaps with spitoons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, the name sounds like one, somehow.

Because they jammed parts of the phrase “quick bites” together to make the name.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Or that you were able to easily find photos of her cooter when she was younger, but trying to find one of her elderly genitals was significantly more difficult despite a valiant effort.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Is “desperately trying to become Steve Jobs” in the DSM V? Seriously, that was a bit creepy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Reading all this, as a trans woman with a lower voice, about a woman lowering her voice and it being called "dumb man voice" is kinda poo poo. Maybe I don't "get it," but of all the stuff to criticize her for that seems pretty low on the list.

People aren’t criticizing how she sounds as much as it was another bizarre part of the whole act she was putting on, especially how she was so desperate to look, act, and sound like Steve Jobs I’m amazed she didn’t try to get her hands on his skin and wear him as a suit.

It’s like the opposite of the baby talk thing. It’s not how they sound that’s the problem, it’s that it’s a weird and off-putting way to act.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

It does sound forced and unnatural though, in the same way that Macaulay Culkin using the tape recorder to change his voice to sound more adult sounded strange.

It definitely sounds strange but that strangeness isn’t “oh this woman has a deeper voice, how odd” but “wow, that is definitely not her real voice, what the gently caress is this lady doing?”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Terrible Opinions posted:

I get it for her. Men are lovely and if you get better results by sounding deeper, then sure go for it. For Pete though there was no possible motivation besides wanting to make an Obama skin suit.

Holmes voice was all about her wanting to be Steve Jobs. Just like the turtlenecks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

with the lockdown most people i know have stopped drinking, but then a few have gone insane with alcoholism, so i think financially it equals out

I’ve hit this weird equilibrium where I’m down to only drinking on thursdays but I totally overdo it on thursdays.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was fancy to a kid because it was gloomiest restaurant around. Just isolated table lamps and wall sconces with a salad bar off in the distance like a lighthouse, safely delivering you to it's chilled vegetables and cold chopped ham.

I miss gloomy restaurants. Especially ones that served drinks in those big red or amber pebbled plastic cups.

And if they had a tablecloth it was always the red and white checkered ones.

I know a few gloomy restaurants near me and I really hope they survive so I can sit down to some Leonard-Cohen-songass dinner at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

When the iPhone was first available, exclusively on AT&T, their billing systems were a bit antiquated.

Apple insisted on unlimited data, and the customers got it, but the bills faithfully enumerated every bit from every connection made in the last month. People got entire reams through the post for a month or two till AT&T reconsidered their procedures.

It’s kind of funny how the iPhone and flip phones existed at the same time. I remember always frantically panic closing the phone browser when I accidentally opened it because the data charges for those kB would start piling on right away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now picturing a setting where a viable means of interplanetary teleportation is getting blackout drunk.

One of my friends in college called that the “beer taxi”. As far as he knew he went from at the party to waking up in bed the next morning.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was inspired by the phenazepam bluelight post saying 'it's like the warp whistle from zelda but it teleports you to hospital lol'

That one was a synthetic cannabinoid/spice/k2 thing, so whatever he was up to between ambulance trips was more “insane bath salts poo poo” than goofy GABAlich hijinks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did people go to Ruby Tuesday’s for anything besides getting drunk at a mall?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Applebee's has kind of the reputation for being the lowest rung of the chain restaurant, but I think TGI Fridays is a dark horse candidate

Y’all forgot about Denny’s.

An ex girlfriend’s parents invited me to Denny’s to meet me for the first time and in retrospect it explained a lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

the only reason to go to denny's is they used to be 24 hours when the other chain restaurants weren't so if you were out after a night of clubbing or a concert or something it was a good place to fill yourself with calories at 3 in the morning

If and only if you don’t live in a place with proper diners.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Scholtz posted:

My only context for Sizzler is Weird Al's magnum opus, Albuquerque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe5gaCxWOkg&t=480s

It also made me think I wouldn't like sauerkraut but turns out I love the stuff.

Sizzler is nasty. When I was a kid and my family would go to NC, Golden Corral was always the pro post-beach buffet choice. The times we did sizzler it was always a bummer.

The dining area in a sizzler has strong “someone who’s already written their suicide note and is treating themselves to a last meal” vibes. It’s grim with this weird resigned finality to it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sizzler has intense “Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing” energy, basically.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Apparently they tore it down about 5 years ago, but one of the Denny's we liked to go to actually had a bar attached to it.

Was the bar part of the Denny’s or was it a separate storefront with a door in the middle type thing?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the cruise that had my attention is the Megadeth one, because they get like 20 other metal bands to go with them every year and even if i don't overly care for post-1990 Megadeth, the last one also had Suicidal Tendencies, Anthrax, Testament, Queensryche, Dragonforce, Metal Church, John 5, and Metalachi, the heavy metal mariachi band

all of whom are on a varying spectrum between "gently caress yes I would see them live in a heartbeat" and "even if I don't care for their music they'd be insanely fun to drink with"

I almost did that last fall, it looked insanely cool and I’m still kicking myself for not going. Especially since there’s like no concerts this year so jamming a ton of concerts into my face sounds like something I really should have done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

there wolf posted:

Fresca was always the clearly superior diet soda anyway.

I used to love Fresca but I haven’t had one in years. Man, next time I go to the grocery store I gotta get some.

E:

Goober Peas posted:

The sign of a bad day in the 80s was when you'd put your 35 cents in for a Coke and you get a Tab instead.

I used to work for a lovely and rear end backwards modular home company in 2014. I put my 50 cents in the machine and hit the button and got a Mountain Dew Pitch Black.

They hadn’t made Pitch Black since 2011. I truly worked in a time warp.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Adult Swim proved that you could do short form content as a series and be successful with it,

If you’re doing something specializing in short entertainment and your first phone call isn’t to Adam Reed you deserve your inevitable failure. Or rather, Welcome to You’re Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Copyrights last for a fixed term and then expire. Trademarks are the ones that only hold while the company defends them.

But realistically, what's happening is that companies see a way they could be making more money now and aren't thinking about how ignoring that will lead to bigger long-term gains.

I think it’s more that one specific dipshit that’s inflating his position at a rapidly failing service is thinking about how he could be making more money now and ignoring long term gains.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1319367395723649024?s=21