Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Bestbuy is trying to be a pseudo Amazon letting companies sell their product through BestBuy's distribution network so you can buy non-electronic stuff there too. The idea is that since everything is on the way anyway they can have a more rapid turn around than most Amazon orders.

Don't know how well it will work in actuality given how many problems they are having with store to store transfer-sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
That's what the backs of shampoo bottles were for.

So I guess shampoo bottle writers are circling the drain!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Either taxies or uber. The former have done nothing but hurt public perception with being finks, disruptive and raging while the latter has been getting unfair advantages and isn't very sustainable for the drivers.

That said I'm sort of rooting on uber since my experience with them have been far better vs taxis and I don't really like the idea of being locked in a box with a dude who took a baseball bat to a bunch of cars and public property because he got mad at competition.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Why pay the hours of salary to train them when all the company cares about is if you sell insurance packages before quitting or being fired in a year or two?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like news stations should be forced to pay Twitter since a good chunk of their reporting seems to be "and now our intern checked out hashtags so the under 30s will maybe watch tv again"

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I feel, unfortunately; Netflix is one of them. All these cable packages are putting out their own mimic but with newer content. Netflix model probably will be known as a pioneer as network studios splinter the whole market until you are basically paying the television equivalent to see your favourite shows and movies by having to subscribe to every major studio separately as they reside that Netflix makes a lot of money and if they just host their own content they can charge and release what they want while promoting new shows and their television and phone packages.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Bestbuy killed futureshop because they had to pay those people commission. They told the staff it was because sales people would push services too much to line their pockets and customers would distrust them for that. Now that they are Best Buy they pay a bunch of college students and high school students a little over minimum wage and tell them to push all those same services or they will lose their job. But to also tell the customer that they do not make commission so that the customer can feel like they aren't being swindled since it is Best Buy lining their pockets. Not the salesman.

I did like the day to day managers there. I do hope they find better places of employment. They seemed nice and for the most part didn't like a lot of things district was forcing. Basically district would come in. poo poo on the store for four hours and threaten to fire the managers because installations or calibration numbers were down despite sales and geek squad being up. Forced. A complete switch of how the backroom is organized by taking down most of the shelves and taking away the chair and computer desk for a "standing area" for store to store transfer and a black shelf that everything would fall behind because that was a moronic idea. It was way better than working for Walmart though.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Outside all the monitoring poo poo they seem to be doing I don't mind Windows 10. Integrating their market place thing makes it more likely for facebook to have a desktop application for their messenger service so I never have to go to facebook.com again with all its bloat and spam again when I want to talk to them. I don't know when people decided to get rid of MSN Messenger and its sleek no nonsense design for a webpage that constantly updates and lags as new pictures and videos are uploaded.

Thank god it's not myspace though. That was hard on the eyes as everyone thought customization meant neon colours, auto-play music, and windows within windows

As for circling the drain, I noticed while working at bestbuy Toshiba's television presence was rapidly shrinking as Sharp was increasing. I suppose this makes sense since I associate Toshiba with those gigantic projection televisions and CRTs more so than HDTVs

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The shootings and stabbing are more in line with the stigma of mental illness making it difficult to help people combined with ostricizing those who are different mixed in with the availability of travel, proximity to others and weaponry. Drug abuse would fall more in line with what you were trying to hypothesize. And even then that is a show other set of issues and problems.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know how it is in the states, but I'd get a chubby chicken jalapeno burger with onion ring and rootbeer over anything at McDonald's Wendy's or Burger King. And yet, I keep hearing how they are domed because they are too big for their distribution network but too small to modify it.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The ublock intrigues me. I mostly use adblock + noscript still but I wouldn't mind something with less bloat if ublock doesn't need too much fine tuning.

I still use a combination of MSE + Malware Bytes + Hijackthis for my general security. CCLeaner and JKdefrag for defragger...but if I recall correctly Microsoft bought the algorithm for jkdefrag rendering it useless.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The one thing that is stopping me from buying a subscription to Spotify is that my biggest use of it would be on the bus and at work, both of which would run off my data plan. I know if you subscribe you can download and store tracks for later but if I haven't downloaded already then there's nothing to download and build playlists of.

I'm not liking the saturation with all the tv stream services. Competition is good of course , but needing to subscribe to a bunch of services to find a show or movie you want isn't. I'm guessing more and more of these will pop up until every production company had their own content exclusively and we get a much more expensive variation of tv without the commercials but with on demand streaming.

Who am I kidding, commercials will come back in full force it's just a matter of time.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Personally I wish radio was in a better condition. My city just plays too 40s, country and classic rock (which plays no less than three ACDC songs an hour). Even the alternative station in the city has changed to the more popular soft stuff. I just want a punk rock station :(

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Regional rights are garbage too. I liked Netflix so much more when I had a dns changer because Netflix Canada would get some shows up to season 2010 while I had to switch over to like Mexico or whatever to get the content. Mexico is getting season 2 of Better Call Saul the same week as it is aired on AMC yet Canada just recently got season one.

Arbitrary limitations on digital media is the worst and it just leads to piracy.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Best Buy plays "the blend" which was basically the same 80 songs every day with the top 40s looping every four hours. Every week we'd ask them to change to something that doesn't suck but was told head office decided the channel. Was better than the Walmart cd though.

Radio in general seems very good of creativity. It suffers from being long in the tooth forcing tradition mistaking a loyal older follower as maintaining relevancy. The amont of top 40 stations carving out their little niche appealing to different demographics with the same song selection is pretty silly. That being said its not about entertainment it's about what sells. And if the only people who buy music are the ones who like the most generic and safe or most generic and "risqué" that's all that plays.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I find it funny that the only Punk or heavier rock I've ever heard on the radio has been CBC. But only for a short segment of time.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
What are the brands to go for for televisions now a days? I'm looking to get my grandfather a 60 inch hdtv sometime this year (well, pitch in) and as far as I know in terms of mid range that will last you but won't turn any heads was Insignia due to being the store brand rebrand of another company. I can't remember if it was Samsung or sharp. I'm feeling like it was Samsung. I'm hearing that anything not Sony or LG are garbage. I'm just looking for a tv that will last him the rest of his life and look pretty in 1080p while he uses my Netflix account. Sound is irrelevant since we have a sound system worst case scenario.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'd actually be an EBGames/GameStop customer if they had rentals. It was great to rent a game at Blockbuster knowing it is just a short campaign with the bare minimum of anything else attached to it. No need to spend 80CAD on something that is just the latest yearly instalment with ported over assets and minimal new content or scenarios attached to it.

I think the Tony Hawk franchise has finally fallen into its resting place. The developer Activision keeps putting in charge of that franchise is probably going to be taken apart too considering they keep making really awful games that are a buggy clunky mess. I mean how do you gently caress up an HD port of THPS2?!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know who Kendal Jenner is. The commercial just looks like stupid "we're the generation that matters" pandering. You know, the people who spend all their time on Twitter thinking they are making a difference bullying bullies.

Am I missing something here? I guess I could google who she is...but I don't really care enough to bother.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

She's famous because her family is rich and weird, reality tv stars. She's not even the one anyone really cares about. There you go.

Oh so she's like Kardashian? The ones who are famous cause they were associated with the OJ trial?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

The commercial is completely stupid even if you have no idea who she is, you're not missing anything.

It's stupid, but I'm not really seeing how it is offensively so. Seems like it is just pushing the unique snowflakes for change angle.
And thank you for explaining who this person is, I normally just stream what I'm curious about or I see praised. Tv is the value bin at Walmart too much digging to find something possibly worth the fingers full of dust.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Mammal Sauce posted:

Americans love salt. At a restaurant the other day, I saw a guy put enough salt on a serving of cottage cheese to kill an army of slugs. I also have students who discussing how spicy taco bell is the other day before lunch. What the poo poo...

I was pretty disappointed when I went to a KFC/Taco Bell mix and I got some popcorn chicken and asked for their spiciest sauce. I think it had a tomato in it?

The only complaint I have with the double down is that I can't stand American "cheese". It is so bland and awful tasting. If they used real cheese I'd totally get one of those.

Personally for fast food, other than pizza places, I tend to like A&W ( I live in Canada, and I've been told it's different from the American one).

To be a little on topic, I keep hearing that A&W is too small to sustain their distribution system but too large to innovate and will go the way of the dodo. That and KFC is having issues because no one wants bones in their chicken when eating lunch since people tend to eat in the car.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I mean the stuff that looks like Kraft singles. Which I think is solidified Cheezewhiz?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
There seems to be a pattern of companies building strip malls, filling them with teenage girl fashion stores. Al the stores go belly up or move into the mall that's ten minutes away, then while that strip mall is empty another strip mall is built.

And every strip mall is that ugly tan coloured castle theme crap that just saps away any and all personality from the area.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I only shopped at Toys R Us once. Got two Beast Wars toys for 40CAD each (Scorpinok and Polar Claw) and Sonic 3D Blast for the Sega Genesis at a whopping 100CAD.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm guessing too many people just stopped showing up for work since there's a "Now Hiring" sign in the Sears I passed by in Ottawa Canada. It was right next to all the liquidation signs.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not too surprised. They went from "neat things you may not have known and cool ways that they link" to "this is why you are *phobic".

It's probably because of the competition and that people just steal content and spam them to each other's facebook wall

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
No criminal record was made for those crooked small town football obsessed towns that 'boys will be boys' away sexual assault. Between that and the WWE track record with how they treat their athletes this is going to be a steady stream of controversy.

That and the NFL will probably throw all the allotted money they deem appropriate into crushing any potential of this costing them any sort of revenue stream.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I tend to avoid the self check outs since people tend to be slow, clueless, and oblivious. I don't mind being asked the credit card question since I just take it as an opportunity to badmouth the store to the employee who tends to have the same criticisms. Just stuff like "they're making you ask that question? What morons it just makes people snap at you". And "it's not like you have to do five things at once now you need to carry out transactions that slow down the line".

Though I do tend to avoid some cashier demographics since I've identified the ones who seem to have pride and love for their store and will go through every single recommendation from their last Walmart cheer

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
50? The cashiers at my old job made only a dollar.

And that's a good point. Though I just like seeing the joy on their faces when I say most customers are morons (probably myself included) and xyz manager is a lazy tool and was when I worked there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Mods please change his name to Cum Expert.

Thank you.