Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The internet cut into retail profits, so they started pushing this poo poo to bring in more money. Except it drives people away from retail stores, which cuts into their profits, so they decide to push this poo poo even harder, and the cycle continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Josef bugman posted:

I am still shocked by the sheer number of malls in America. There was only one near me in the UK and that was a lot further than just nipping down to the shops and had nothing else in it. I can't believe teenagers/ young adults used to hang out in them. We usually just went to a park and got smashed on cheap booze.
The key is that most American suburbs didn't(and usually still don't) have anywhere else to hang out for that age group. Few parks, most entertainment options geared towards older people & little kids, nowhere interesting to walk to, etc.

That and we love huge, strictly separated commercial areas instead of having clusters of local shops dotted all over the place. Malls make a lot more sense in that context.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Anyone who hates doctor visits just to get some Amoxicillin, you know you can cheaply buy it online in the US without a prescription, right? Just get it for "fish" and it is the exact same stuff.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/fimoxam2530c.html

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/wc-730-wc-730-11998.html

Per the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/aprqtr/pdf/21cfr206.7.pdf), each capsule, tablet, or pill must be uniquely marked. Two tablets with identical colors, shapes, and markings cannot, by law, have different ingredients. This is for a variety of reasons, but not limited to assisting Poison Control hotlines, hospitals, doctors, etc., in determining what someone might have ingested, overdosed on, or is causing side effects.
Have fun shoving antibiotics down your throat when your dumb rear end can't tell if you have something bacterial or viral. There's a reason they're gated behind doctors.

Not that doctors have a good track record of stonewalling people who go "but I neeeeeed antibiotics!" when it'd do jack poo poo for whatever they've got, but at least they're trying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Does Wal-mart still do the creepy forced team cheers? I know they still love their Big Brother-esque anti-union tactics.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Economic philosophies that are circling the drain: :ussr:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

skull mask mcgee posted:

Sprint is catastrophically bad, so they're just doing you a favor.
FTFY. They had the slowest drat data even as they swore up and down they were making it faster, and as far as I've heard, that hasn't changed. I wound up switching because there wasn't any point in paying for 'cheap' service when you can barely use it.

dumb. posted:

So wait, are they blatantly admitting here that they actively interfere with law enforcement?
I think they're doing the idiot "entrapment is bad! ps. a cop catching me doing an illegal thing I was doing anyway is entrapment." thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But stores are scary. You have to move around and sometimes you see another person. Once a worker asked me if I needed anything, and I actually had to respond to him. :ohdear:

Seriously though, the internet's obsoleted a lot of retail, but there will always be spaces for poo poo you need now & anything you'd want to see/try in person before buying. There's also the convenience factor in not having to play mail tag any time you miss a delivery.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For better or for worse they're still probably the cheapest place around
And that's enough to attract people, especially the ones who don't realize why it's so cheap(because it's corner-cutting garbage). Even if there are other places around with comparable prices, a lot of people will assume Walmart is the cheapest without actually checking. Without that perception of cheapness, it'd be doomed - it's the bigger one of the two reasons* people shop there from what I've seen, and it doesn't have anything else to draw people in. (*The other is that Walmarts are usually open 24/7, but that falls apart the instant a different 24/7 place opens)

I won't pretend Target/Meijer/etc are valiantly fighting for the rights of their workers or offering anything life-changing, but at least they're not actively painful to shop in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Wal-Mart near me has started checking receipts before you leave. I know with places like Sam's Club and Costco that's a requirement you agree to when becoming a member. There's no legal requirement for you to wait in a line while an old as gently caress greeter ponders over your purchases, but in a membership warehouse situation they could revoke your access if you didn't consent. I have no idea what a regular store can do to enforce something like that.
Nothing, honestly. The worst they could do is ban you from the store, but I doubt the employees would give enough of a gently caress to do that, let alone enforce it later.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I don't have the self-checkout problems some of you do. But I'm pretty sure 90% of it stems from people being impatient and scanning things/changing weight distribution around too fast for the machine to catch up, then getting frustrated and assuming it's the machine's fault and not user error. Even bags aren't usually a problem now that most self-checkouts have a "I brought my own bag" button. (Except in Meijer, which never recognizes my bags for some reason)

Professor Shark posted:

I refuse to use self checkouts and it angers me to see people using them when cashiers sit idle
But if I only have a few things, it's faster to do it myself. Cashiers are for when I have enough poo poo that scanning and bagging it myself is :effort:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It seems like 90% of the poo poo in any women's clothing section is stuff I never see anyone wearing, so fixing that would go a long way. There's too much weird poo poo with in-fashion-for-two-seconds cuts and bizarre layering, and not enough basic/classic pieces.

Although the other part is that(like with most retail) people flat-out don't have the money to buy as much as they used to. No easy way to fix that. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

girl pants posted:

With Lularoe being a lovely MLM that apparently sells leggings that tear like "wet toilet paper", how much longer do you guys think they're going to be around? Not much longer, I hope.

It's already dead.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rough Lobster posted:

Look out, the autonomous vehicle derail isn't responding to user inputs! My god it's heading this way!!!
The derail came across some snow-covered roads and drove into a ditch since it had no idea where it was going. :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Steak n Shake never had good food in my experience, you just went there as an excuse to get shakes. :btroll:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Part of the problem for women's clothing specifically: The gap between what stores target towards teenagers and what they target towards young adults is striking, and not usually in a good way.

Most department stores have a lot more for juniors and middle aged women than for young women, and what 20s-appropriate clothing they have either looks like poo poo or is built like poo poo(sometimes both). The stores more specifically targeted towards young adults are usually too expensive to build an entire wardrobe from, and often suffer from the looks like and/or built like poo poo syndrome too. God knows what we'd be wearing if we couldn't use the internet to buy normal clothes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

walrusman posted:

To make this thread-relevant: how are grocery stores doing these days? Whenever I'm unfortunate or desperate enough to go to Safeway, I always see a line stretching over the horizon while a single cashier begs into an intercom for help that never comes. It's frustrating as a customer and it must be hell on the employee, too.
None of the grocery stores here are managed that badly, but I also live in an area where you have more than 1 or 2 options. The Krogers I've seen while visiting out-of-state family were absolute garbage since they had no competition to keep them in line.

Even a bad grocery store has better stuff than target/wal-mart, though. Grocery stores aren't going anywhere unless that changes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

walrusman posted:

Apparently the entire concept of the mall is alive and well in Asia. The Philippines alone is home to four of the top 11, and twenty-loving-two of the 100 largest malls in the world. From what I can tell they're doing alright, with some reporting nearly a million visitors a day. I was wondering why malls kept popping up on TripAdvisor's lists of top things to do in Manila - it's because they're gigantic self-contained cities with some really interesting attractions.

I remember visiting the West Edmonton Mall when I was about ten, and it was at the time the largest in the world. It's still the biggest in North America, but it's all the way down at #19 overall now. We gotta get our poo poo together, North America.
Half the problem in America is how overbuilt retail is. Even without online shopping, a lot of it would have been doomed from drops in consumer spending power & the general preference for doing as much one-stop shopping as you can.

I have two malls within 20 minutes of me. It goes up to 4 or 5 if I'm willing to go 40 minutes. Not even a dense area needs that many loving malls.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Sir Lemming posted:

I think they'll stick around a while longer because they're much smaller than a whole Walmart/Target so it's not as much effort and money to cram one into whatever empty storefront is available. Don't need their own parking lots either. And on the consumer end, it's usually a quicker stop because it's not as much of a big space to walk around, and the lines usually aren't nearly as long.
Don't forget the drive-throughs. Not having to get out of your car to pick stuff up is a cornerstone of the American dream. :911:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Don't forget the grocery store or chain pharmacy acting as the anchor.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
What kills me is when you're in an area with multiple malls within a 30-40 minute drive from each other, and there's no reason to switch up where you go because they all have the same damned stores. Hmm, I wonder why malls are having so much trouble? :thunk:

I have four regular malls and an outlet mall in that range, and you could cut it down to one with no meaningful impact.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Didn't Best Buy swerve into focusing on appliances and other things people might actually buy at a store still? They also get paid to be a showroom iirc, so people using them to check things out before buying online isn't as terrible for them as it used to be.

Neither of which is really a good tactic for B&N to try, although it'd be funny to watch.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would really like to know why every dead mall has a GNC and a Bath and Body Works.
I'm pretty sure every mall is legally required to have a Bath and Body Works.

Outdoor outlet mall? Got one. Upscale mall? Got one. Mall for poors? Got one. Huge tourist trap mall? Got one. Fashion outlets? Got one.

Sir Lemming posted:

Because you can't sniff soaps online. Similar reason to why you still see Yankee Candle stores
Also it's the low-end smelly-body-stuff store, so people can actually afford to buy things there. Meanwhile Body Shop's been shuttering stores like mad around here, because it might have okay stuff but a lot of people don't want to pay those prices.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It would be better to just till over blighted commercial development, let it return to natural land, and focus future efforts on denser, more sustainable urban planning rather than try to force the old bad sprawl to work.
But then you might live near a poor person. :ohdear:

The real problem is that our suburbs are in a vicious cycle of "build stuff only usable with a car->everyone has to own a car->car owners want everything to be easier to drive in->build stuff only usable with a car." God help you if you do something that goes against the car grain, even if it's something that unintuitively helps cars like road diets. Or you get things like NIMBYs rallying against nice interconnected roads with lots of alternate routes because a car might drive through their neighborhood sometimes.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Jul 18, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

pangstrom posted:

Naming the Denver stadium was a particularly weird choice because the place the Broncos play has been "Mile High" for 50 years and is above average organic branding. Everyone Every Denverite over 35 who isn't actually calling games on TV or the radio is probably still calling it Mile High and mildly resentful of the people (Invesco and now Sports Authority, though the Sports Authority checks are now bouncing) who dumped millions helping pay for the new place. The Denver Post didn't stop calling it Mile High for years.
Sounds like what happened to the Sears Tower.

It's technically the Willis Tower now, but nobody calls it that. The one time I did a tour thing in there, half the souvenirs were still Sears Tower branded too. Hope the naming righs were worth it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

anonumos posted:

I can't believe most of the US still measures bandwidth in mbs. Single or double digits no less. It's pathetic considering how much money we pay for it.
And instead of building more capacity, internet providers want to cap how much bandwidth we use instead. :capitalism:

applebee's article posted:

Applebee’s president John Cywinski said the turnaround won’t happen overnight, but an action plan is in place that will focus on simplifying operations while elevating the guest experience.

Value, presentation and taste are all priorities — and you may see guest favorites from the past return to the menu.
Oh yes, Applebee's, that chain where they really focus on great-tasting food & definitely not the place you bring grandma because she's scared of flavors. Just like how people go to Hooter's for the wings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
https://soundcloud.com/sudsmcfuddle/dmx-hair-club?in=queen-roger/sets/remixed-lisa-songs

How can you post that and not the most important one? :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ANUSTART posted:

My friend works at a Goodwill and yeah it is a bit sad to hear about, especially the people 'donating' grocery bags of used underwear and garbage. Just fuckin throw it away wtf that is not charitable to donate. Also yes employee theft, so much of it.
Last time I was at my local Goodwill I saw shitloads of candles, some already partially burnt.

But at least it's not in a landfill! :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Choco1980 posted:

Even worse are those clothing donation bins scattered about. Usually they pay the charity to advertise on the side of their bin, and instead sell the clothes to 3rd world scrap textilers. Your clothes ain't helping noone in those bins.
I always wondered about those, since half the time they don't even have a specific charity listed.

Good to know they're as sketchy as they look.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

http://fortune.com/2017/08/25/gamestop-stock/ posted:

Shares of video game retailer GameStop dropped nearly 13% after it reported second-quarter earnings on Thursday, recovering only slightly in Friday trading. That harsh response came despite mixed results: The company reported $1.69 billion in revenue, beating projections of $1.64 billion, but only 15 cents per share in earnings against Wall Street targets of 16 cents.

That harsh reaction may reflect ongoing skepticism of GameStop’s long-term prospects. With a business rooted in sales of new and used physical games, GameStop is threatened by the continuing rise of digital downloads, both for PCs and consoles like the Playstation 4.

But CEO Paul Raines, speaking to CNBC, argued that the markets weren't seeing the big picture.

“We believe people are missing some of the strengths that we have,” Raines said, pointing to a “diversification journey” that included growth in the sale of collectible toys, and its push to buy up AT&T-branded wireless retail outlets. That initiative will see GameStop benefiting from a potentially huge iPhone 8 launch this fall.

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

Meanwhile, the March launch of Nintendo’s Switch console is a gift that keeps on giving for GameStop’s core business. Raines said it was “the hottest launch we’ve ever had,” and helped push up global same-store sales by 1.9% in the second quarter. And while some Switch games are available for download, the console’s limited storage space and other factors may drive physical store sales.
Oops, turns out it's hard to replicate the stability of their old strategy, "buy used games for pennies on the dollar, resell them for near-new prices."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

EB Games/Gamestop isn't going anywhere soon. They get pretty advanced knowledge of where the market is going from Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony and would probably have enough time to pivot if there was a an all-digital generation of video games. I don't know how it is in the states, but in Canada they didn't over-saturate with stores either so they are in a not-awful position.
For a while they were horribly oversaturated even when they were doing well. That's self-corrected as their business model has become less tenable. :v:

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea how LUSH is in business, it feels like something that should have quickly opened and closed as the fad died out
Lush still has a strong cult following from beauty/personal care geeks. Even though other stores have caught onto the popularity of bath bombs(and let's be real, that's 90% of what drew people to Lush in the first place), they'll keep going for a while on that & the "I feel like treating myself but am too lazy to actually go out of my way for it" market alone.

Yeah, full disclosure I don't dislike Lush for being more expensive than drugstore brands, but for marketing itself as a luxury brand despite not having any of the qualities I happily let better brands gouge me for.
:same:

Hell, some of their stuff is full-on worse than the cheapest poo poo you could buy at a big box store. Their solid shampoos built up on my hair and left it a greasy-looking mess. But it's all natural & not tested on animals so that's fine, right? :downs:

Meanwhile Body Shop's slowly imploding despite being what I really tried Lush for in the first place(nice body care stuff a step above B&BW).

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Aug 29, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ladron posted:

legit Qs - Is staples going out of business? I thought they had a stadium or something? (I haven't lived in the US for 12 years so this is news to me if so)
Sears had an entire tower and look what's happening to it. :v:

people posted:

Borders
This makes me wonder how much longer Barnes & Noble is going to hold on. I know they pushed their e-reader/tablet hard and pretty much all of them have a Starbucks now, but there's no way that'd be enough to save them in the long term.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

We never ever needed 200 branches of the same chain in a single state, let alone the same city. Things are contracting back to a more sustainable arrangement and it's going to be just fine.
The same goes for the mall ecosystem. Most malls are 99% the same stores you'll find in every other mall, but it's not uncommon to have 3 or more malls within reasonable driving distance of each other. There's been a push towards open air malls, but it's the same poo poo in an environment that may or may not be more pleasant depending on the weather.

Even if the rest of the retail landscape was doing fine, we probably would have seen a mall contraction from that alone.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

Except, apparently Hot Wheels.

So anything you think is going to be valuable is going to worth jack. But that rando thing you didn't think twice about is what appreciates in value. Which means collectors are always chasing a moving target.

Silly bands are going to be the next big thing because who the gently caress saved those?
I can't wait for the fidget spinner & emoji pillow boom 20 years from now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Have we talked about Blue Apron's rather high cost to attract customers? If they hold this course, they are in trouble I think.
http://www.businessinsider.com/blue-apron-spends-big-for-new-customers-low-return-2017-8
Sounds like the typical cycle for businesses like theirs.

Building the customer base is easy if you can just keep throwing money at it; making a profit is harder. The ideal strategy is to build it up enough to sell to some suckers right before its unsustainability shows itself.

See also: Most tech unicorn stuff.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Raldikuk posted:

I've had great experience with Samsung's built in apps for Amazon, Plex, and Netflix and my tv's have updated in the background just fine. Unfortunately they do have ads in the menu and there is no way to disable it (other than flashing old firmware and never letting your tv connect to the net). The ads on my tv are one tile out of 10 so it isn't too crazy but still absurd given that I bought it before they introduced the ad thing and I never agreed to it.
Welcome to the future. Advertisers realized consumers will block ads whenever humanly possible, so they're going to shove them in places where it's nearly impossible to block them instead.

At no point will anyone(on the side of people pushing these ads on us, that is) ask if these ads are actually bringing in enough business to be worth the cost.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In fairness, Amazon has been really bad with release-day shipping for specifically Nintendo games for the last year or so.

(they have had bad blood between them and Nintendo for some time now, and while it's improved it's not that good)
Yeah but you still don't have to go to Gamestop to buy games in a brick-and-mortar store. Pretty much any big box store has major releases these days. You might even be able to pick up your preorder at midnight, depending on the release.

The only things that kept Gamestop afloat this long are selling overpriced used games(which are slowly dying out along with physical copies of games) and pushing subscriptions to their stupid gaming magazine. No wonder they're scrambling at anything vaguely game-related to keep the money coming in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Sunshine89 posted:

However, if I lived in a smaller city or somewhere more suburban, I'd shop online a lot more. Shipping is less now, more companies offer free returns, and the convenience of not having to leave the house to go on a crapshoot is pretty appealing.
As someone stuck in suburban hell, it really depends on how good your local post office/UPS/Fedex drivers are.

The crapshoot turns from "will the store have this in stock?" to "will this be delivered when I'm home? If not, will they leave a note, leave it outside where any random rear end in a top hat can take it, or leave it inside where a smaller number of random assholes could take it?". Sure, Amazon's usually willing to replace stuff if it get stolen, but then you get to endure the crapshoot again. It's the one factor keeping me from shopping online a lot.

Still worth it for stuff you're not likely to find in a chain store, or where the price differential is huge.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Segmentation Fox posted:

Yeah I was going to mention this as well. Every Plaid Pantry (regional 7-11-alike) in my immediate area has a set of Amazon drop-off boxes; you just go in and flash a QR code and it unlocks the box with your stuff in it. They've also got a bigger thing down in the city proper where you can apparently get free (with Prime?) next-day delivery if you can be bothered to go down and pick it up.

Considering we're getting into the "Assholes driving around the 'burbs snatching packages off porches" season, it's certainly a nice alternative, even if you have to put in a little more effort to get your stuff.
Amazon locker is great(and I've used Amazon more since it's been a thing around here), but not every item qualifies for it. It has to be something specifically fulfilled by amazon & meet certain size/weight limits. It's also obviously not helpful for not-Amazon sites. :v:

Basically give me that system but for anything I buy online using any shipping company, and you've obliterated my(and probably a lot of other people's) biggest obstacle to buying most of my/their stuff online.

The Moon Monster posted:

USPS is my favorite shipping company because they won't leave packages worth several hundred dollar packages laying on my front door. Last time I was expecting a shipment from FedEx, as soon as I got my tracking number I tried both requiring a signature and then picking it up at one of their locations and straight up could not do either of those. They left it sitting on my doorstep in the rain for a few hours. The company I bought it from refunded me but I don't get how doing poo poo like that is sustainable.
In my experience, the quality of shipping companies goes USPS>Fedex/UPS>the randos Amazon uses for Fulfilled By Amazon stuff.

Just the fact that USPS lets you put in mail holds(and opt to pick everything up at the post office at the end of it) when you're on vacation(or "on vacation", aka "expecting a lot of packages over a span of 1-2 weeks and don't want to play the delivery dance with each one") & is generally good about leaving notices instead of shrugging and leaving packages out in the open puts them miles ahead in my book.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ofecks posted:

Isn't this just a PO box? I've never had one so I don't know exactly how they work, though.
IIRC, you can't have Fedex and UPS ship to a PO box.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Professor Shark posted:

Nah, I think that's one of their "things".
Huh, so it is.

And it's only $7.50/mo. Well poo poo, now I'm tempted.