Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

red19fire posted:

Is Kia bad?

I rented a Soul and a Sportage last year. The Soul was actually a pretty nifty car, but the fuel economy sucked for a compact (couldn't get any better than 26-27 mpg highway). The Sportage had a terrible time handling the concrete expansion joints on I-16, making my trip to Savannah a chiropractor's wet dream. I'd buy a brand-new Soul and use it for around-town driving.

You couldn't pay me to drive one older than 2011, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

remigious posted:

Kia Nissan is for poors who want a brand new car instead of something slightly used but far more reliable. My friend's dad gave her 30k to buy a new car and she spent it all on a Kia sportage. Unbelievable.

Nissan is the new Mitsubishi.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Yeah. Mine was the famous Volvo red, too. Leather seats, turbo engine, the works. I had one summer where everything broke in the span of a few months (blower, starter coil, plugs/cables, a few other things), but other than that it was rock-solid. Got it from my parents with 88k miles on it, gave it away with 243k. Thing was a beast and I always remember the looks on peoples' faces when they realized a car that big and boxy could loving move if I floored it.

You think internal parts were expensive, at least they were available. I got broken into via the passenger front window once, and was never able to open that window again after a repair. Apparently the window itself has some bracket pre-attached to the up/down electrical doodad, which is different from the '91 940, the 93' 940, and any other '92 model. As a result I ended up yanking one that was close out of a '92 740, just to keep the window closed, but the mechanism didn't fit right so I couldn't actually open or close it. Same with the electric side-view-mirrors; some rear end in a top hat smashed one of mine and I had to just put one of those magnifier mirrors over the crack since the mirror itself was non-removable from the whole assembly and I could never find the specific one I needed.

My greatest shame was junking a 1990 760 Turbo because I got fed up with pouring money into that sturdy but recalcitrant Swedish son of an four-wheeled whore, especially after I poured a quart of Type F in the automatic transmission thanks to a brain fart (NOTE: It uses Dextron). Legendary red blocks can't run if everything else around them are constantly breaking.

The worst part was the incredible melting fuse block that practically hot glued the low-beam headlight relay in place, which would then shut off whenever it overheated. Loads of fun on those dark country roads.

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Mar 5, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

When was the last time anyone ate at Shoney's? Now there's a company that's slowly rotating towards oblivion.

Also, Old Country Buffet.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BigBoss posted:

A new batch of people turn 65 every day...

That's why Cracker Barrel and Golden Corral exists.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

canyoneer posted:

Harley needs to undergo a Renaissance like Cadillac did a few years ago. Cadillac was making boring grandpa cars and their user base of boring grandpas was literally dying off. Then the Escalade happened and now they have a few cars that people under 50 would actually want to own. Harley's current situation is probably pretty similar. Not really circling the drain, but in decline

Some people say Cadillac's still circling the drain since the only continuing sales successes of note are the SRX (soon to be replaced by the XT5) and the Escalade. They only have one CUV of note when they should have had at least 2 or 3 in the lineup. The ATS is a cramped 3-Series chaser with a cheapo instrument cluster. The ELR was a dud and the Tesla Model S shows what Cadillac could have done with it. The XTS (a premium Impala) still exists and there's still no RWD/AWD flagship sedan.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I remember when Quincy's used to be around. Their bread rolls were pretty good.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darth123123 posted:

About 542 SA posters thought of posting this, including me, but stopped. But here we are.

A lot of goons have restraint. And speaking of restraint, I'm pretty sure Takata's circling the drain behind the whole deadly air bag controversy.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rough Lobster posted:

I miss talking about Sears.

Same.

Meanwhile, J.C. Penney has momentarily stopped circling the drain, apparently: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...0826-story.html

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Adix posted:

how has the thread about failing companies spent two days on a derail about walmart

This thread is circling the drain, just like the companies we're talking about.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's still weird to me that when I was a kid, Pizza Hut was like an event. The place was gigantic and packed with people every day of the week. Always a party going on and everything. Now they look like a Taco Bell with a red roof and they barely have anywhere for anyone to even sit. I mean I don't really care because I'd never go there as an adult nor would I subject my child to that horrible excuse for pizza but what the hell happened? You could argue "good pizzerias opened" but this was in Brooklyn so they always had good pizzerias. But kids begged and begged for Pizza Hut.

Seriously though what did they do wrong? Stopped offering cool toys and stuff with the meal?

Same here. Just thinking about the sit-down Pizza Hut locations with the jukeboxes and the salad bars brings back memories, plus I dare say the pizza was actually decent back then (early to mid 90s).

I know there are still plenty of Pizza Huts with dine-in areas, but I haven't seen a single one since moving to the outskirts of Atlanta.

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Aug 30, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EvilJoven posted:

Pizza Hut ruled in the 80s and early 90s but in like 97 or something they changed something in their pizza and it went from being greasy good pizza to greasy terrible pizza that gave a ton of people the shits.

So it wasn't just childhood nostalgia that made the pizzas seem good.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Houston is a parking deck masquerading as a major city.

In other words, the perfect American city.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Beastie posted:

Chuck E. Cheese.

I feel like the mouse is due to cave in a few more years.

Unvaccinated kids, super germs, terrible pizza, also there are no good arcade games anymore.

Even as a kid, Chuck E. Cheese made my skin crawl in a way that no other place did. I don't want to even think about what's at the bottom of those ball pits.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sears just sold off the Craftsman brand to Black and Decker for $900 mil

I wonder if they'll still honor that lifetime warranty, or is that not a thing anymore?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Double Punctuation posted:

Sears chat: I have a Sears nearby where I live. It's at one end of a nearly completely dead mall. The other end is a LifeChurch, and the rest is deserted. I have never seen more than 10 cars in the Sears parking lot. This Sears is apparently not doing bad enough for it to be getting closed.

Sears and J.C. Penney were the two last holdouts at the now-definitely-dead mall located in my old stomping grounds, on account of both tenants owning the spaces they used to occupy. Both stores closed up once enough money was thrown at them, as they were in the way of a planned revamping of the entire space into a mixed business office/shopping center with a major "town center" theme.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm glad I got to go to the Barnum & Bailey circus when I was younger. I don't remember a whole lot about the actual show, but I do remember coming home with a sweet sword/flashlight thing and some cool glow-in-the-dark rings.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Is Burlington Coat Factory circling the drain? I paid a visit to a local store the other day and at drat near half of the entire store's floor space was an empty expanse of nothing. For a moment, I thought the place was closing up and liquidating, but I didn't see any of the usual big yellow clearance signs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GPTribefan posted:

I remember even as a younger kid how fast food's definition of "hot" was a joke. Wendy's came out with that hot and spicy chicken sandwich and the commercials made you think it was off the scale hot that only the heartiest of souls could even begin to tolerate. I got one and was all ready to sweat my balls off, and distinctly remember taking it back after the first bite asking if they gave me the plain one by accident .

That explains why I didn't even bother to try out KFC's Nashville Hot Chicken. Because I've already had the real thing once before and wound up in pure, unadulterated agony because of it. Even the mild varieties of genuine hot chicken aren't anything to gently caress around with. I can't imagine that KFC's creation came anywhere close.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Burt Sexual posted:

People here are REALLY into their fast food. I've learned something today.

Don't food-shame me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Krispy Kareem posted:

My county has two big malls in it. The one deeper in the suburbs is doing alright, but the one closer to the city has been having issues. They recently did a renovation, which helps. Thereís also a Costco next door and a new ballpark across the street. So itís not doing great, but itís got prospects.

If that's where I think it is, I've gotta wonder how the traffic situation's gonna affect that mall now that the stadium's finished.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Krispy Kareem posted:

Traffic hasnít been that bad, honestly. The one time I went to a game I was surprised at how well they separated ballpark traffic from regular commuters.

That mall still has a Sears though, so the stink of death is only slightly covered by the Apple store.

I'm still kicking myself for not going to one of the last games at Turner Field.

Meanwhile, our local dead mall has been bulldozed in preparation for this. It's a pretty ambitious project, but I'm wondering if it'll suck the life out of the "upscale" outdoor lifestyle center that's just a few miles away - because that's exactly what said lifestyle center did to the mall 10 years ago.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Maxwell Lord posted:

Theoretically a mall could still be habitable if the rents were cheap, but there may be some economics preventing that.

I'm also thinking that lower rents may also attract businesses that primarily serve non-white clientele and since no mall wants to be branded as "the black mall" or "Mexican mall," the high rents may serve as a gatekeeper of sorts.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I still don't know what Snapchat is, exactly. Then again I can barely operate Instagram.

Don't feel bad. I don't even have a Facebook page, let alone an old LiveJournal or DeviantArt account that could serve as a near-eternal monument to my past shames.

Cowslips Warren posted:

And this poo poo is bad for the arches. I've been to a few McDonalds that used to have themes, like fish or dinosaurs. gently caress, the latter's Playplace was all dinosaurs, there were loving statues kids could sit on for photos, there was a loving incubator setup in the lobby area with little dino robots for the kids to watch.

The McD's near the Opryland resort has a prominent music theme, complete with a DJ booth and a small stage near the front of the restaurant. That's more for the benefit of the bluehairs who pass through, since actual kids are less likely to give a gently caress.

One particular McD's in Birmingham had a jazz theme, complete with musical instruments outlined in neon lighting inside glass cases, but I think they got rid of all with the last remodel.

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Aug 12, 2017

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

there wolf posted:

Goodwill's primary function is job placement for people who would otherwise struggle to find work, not a place for people to pick stuff up cheap. It's not really fair to compare them to stuff like Salvation Army or Habitat for Humanity stores which are explicitly about providing low cost clothes and household items for people who can't afford them elsewhere.

If you're looking for cheap used electronics, your best bet is to go to a pawn shop or an electronics store that also offers used or refurbished equipment. I wouldn't have found my $150 24-inch Dell Ultrasharp monitor at any of the local Goodwill stores.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

evobatman posted:

The Gamestop where I live have a couple of bins of used games, and 95% of the store is Hot Topic and Thinkgeek stuff. You could remove all the video games and consoles from the store, and you wouldn't notice a difference.

KiteAuraan posted:

Hot Topic is 90% nerdy blind box tat and Funko Pops these days.

For a while, I thought FYE was yet another company circling the drain and from what I've seen during a recent mall trip, it probably still is. Whereas FYE used to be 65% music and 35% memorabilia/kitsch, it's now wall-to-wall with Funko Pop dolls, cheesy TV show/comic book merchandise and other semi-pretentious poo poo that's supposed to appeal to geeks and weebs, with a tiny used/clearance music CD rack near the back of the store for good measure.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Control Volume posted:

Isn't Samsung still the only good SSD manufacturer?

They're good, but personal experience has led me to hold Micron/Crucial in higher regard.

rndmnmbr posted:

I wish I could buy a decent washer. Not high-efficiency, not ecologically minded, no little jingles letting me know it's done. Built like a loving tank with parts cheap, readily available and easy to replace. gently caress the environment, gently caress my water bill, and gently caress everything. Throw all my goddamned clothes in with all the washing horrors I can muster ground in, and an hour later it goes *BZZZZT* and my clothes are washed to hell and apologizing to me for having the temerity to get dirty.

Speed Queen, then?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mustached Demon posted:

Just poo poo in the shower and cut out the middle man.

uncultured savages who have never heard of a bidet

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't even remember the last time I've seen the inside of a JC Penny's, and I'm thinking I may be confusing it with a Sears.

I couldn't remember, either, so I pulled up pictures of both from a local mall that's now dead and torn down.

EDIT: This guy's got several dead and dying malls on his photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10542...th/23489022354/

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Oct 27, 2017

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

shadowvine118 posted:

The area I live is pretty boring when it comes to burger joints. The only place we have that has been mentioned on this thread, that I know of, is Five Guys, and that place is overrated, IMO.

The best burger joints tend to be the non-franchise hole-in-the-wall places. Grindhouse Burgers in ATL was my personal fav.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FlamingLiberal posted:

I canít wait for the Xtreme Kneeling

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists õ Generations that are circling the drain (HINT: It's Baby Boomers Millennials)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nothing will ever be more 90s than this

But it must be worn backwards, so that this is on the front

And it must be a preteen wearing it who gets beat up everyday at school

it was me

Never forget black Bart Simpson

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Talking about a door to door/MLM sales company still active in 2018 that sells $3,000 vacuums is extremely relevant to the thread. Feel free to contribute literally anything to the conversation other than how you personally don't like it.

EDIT: Beaten like an old Kirby vacuum.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

this derail sucks

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Neon Noodle posted:

Ugh, that is extremely on point if you are looking for actual good art supplies. Michaels poo poo is garbage.

It's good if you need something right away and can't wait on an online order from a better art store like Utrecht or Dick Blick.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Professor Shark posted:

It's pretty good for finding old things as well as having a bit of protection when buying things from Chinese factories that take 2+ months to get to you, but they've been chipping away at what made it good (Online Flea Market) for a long time. I remember about a decade ago when you could use Money Orders, which was great as a teenager without a credit card, but then they partnered with Paypal and made PP mandatory.

I remember paying for a vBulletin license with a money order way back in 02 or 03. Teenager with no credit card and parents who were too suspicious of the Internet to use theirs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only reason I've even heard of The Bon-Ton is apparently it seems like all of the dead malls that Dan Bell covers on his YouTube show in the north seem to have one of them, or previously did. I've never been in one.

Same here, but that's understandable. I'm guessing it's a regional chain like Belk.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FilthyImp posted:

GameStop is slowly morphing into Hot Topic, so that's no real surprise.

FYE is further along this trend. The last time I walked in one, at least 75% of the store space was devoted to Funko Pops, anime figurines and TV show T-shirts. What little music there was could be found in the very back.

I blame torrents, Spotify and Pandora.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Whatever happened to just keeping a diary?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

side_burned posted:

Why the gently caress is this not a thing in United States. In all my eighteen years of adult life I have never chosen to go to one store over an other because the cashier was standing when they rang me up.

Because the bosses think this makes you look more productive nevermind how standing up for hours on end wreaks holy havoc on your feet.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I sleep standing up. It saves space in my 50 square foot microapartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Professor Shark posted:

Phone posting, but Crocs is closing stores and all(?) of their manufacturing plants.

Stock has soared over the last year and rose based on the news, so there must be something Iím missing

On the contrary:

https://twitter.com/Crocs/status/1027690145942839301

«2 »