Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Chinatown posted:

The United States of America

Also:

-China
-the European Union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Woden posted:

Every single taxi company in the world.

Good because I hate when they try to argue with me about a tip

Like oh you're mad at me i didn't give $5? How about no dollars how's that sound

naem
May 29, 2011

The Gay Bean posted:

There's something about the rise of Uber I don't understand.

1. Taxis but with ~smartphones~
2. ?
3. It's suddenly not necessary to tip your taxi driver, despite almost a century of tradition.

I mean, an Uber driver is still a taxi driver right? If somebody made a Waitr app would it not be necessary to tip them?

If you use smartphones you can ignore all tradition, also government regulation, fees, labor laws you name it because you see "apps"

naem
May 29, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Lena Dunham molested her sister in her own book and freaked out at people for saying it was molestation, I wish really badly that Lena Dunham was circling the drain, dammit HBO

No no she's a rich connected womyynn©™® those pebbles she forced inside her infant sister were made of pure feminism

She is the dominate lady ape and penetrates others (like a man) so, you see, *hyena noises*

naem
May 29, 2011

Do people still purchase glossy magazines to display on their coffee table to pretend they are of a higher social class than they are or do we all just stare at our phones now

naem
May 29, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why does her office look like a college dorm room? Yeah yeah Silicon Valley and all that but who can get anything done in that clutter

She doesn't "do" things she's an executive

naem
May 29, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

We have a chain bookstore here, Hastings, that changes it's primary business practices every few years to pretty good results. They started out as a music and books store in the 80s, then added VHS and videogame rentals in the early 90s. Then they expanded in to selling movies and games used and new, by selling off rental stock they had used up the time/usage contract on. Then they branched in to carrying a lot of collectibles and toys when they removed a lot of their magazines from the shelves. Then in the early 2000s they got heavy in to selling used consoles and peripheries, as well as boardgames and T-shirts/hoodies from games, shows and movies.

Then for a bit they got heavy in to low priced TVs and tablets from unknown manufacturers.

Then when Amazon got really big they stopped fighting them and really doubled down on carrying a lot of expensive nerd collectibles and buying up old comics in bulk auctions, to turn around and flip on Amazon while using their stores as warehouses for shipping them out quickly while not paying any extra for storage, becoming one of the larger Amazon sub-vendors.

Now they've started carrying a lot of newer comics and pushing their image as a comic shop while also buying up old vinyl records and flipping those on Amazon, as well as carrying a ridiculously large amount of those Funko vinyl toys that people seem to be collecting now and hosting meet and greets with different writers and musicians on tours in their local stores in smaller towns. They've even started getting a lot more DnD and table game poo poo in their stores and hosting big game nights that they cater while having small sales on the related merchandise.

I'm always pretty impressed with how incredibly fluid their practices seem to be.

These type of local businesses are an important means of employment for hot spooky emotionally damaged alternative girls a couple years older than you allowing you to meet them and then lose several years of your young life in a haze of angry sex and arguing before she dumps you and then suddenly ages really badly

naem
May 29, 2011

Borders books was my teenage hangout everyone went there to, not spend money and drink coffee for a dollar

naem
May 29, 2011

red19fire posted:

Also hipsters who think they need $300 worth of equipment to walk 4 miles in the woods.

It's really important to young urban professionals to be able to identify each other by the brightly colored expedition gear they just bought so that they don't accidentally have a conversation with a non yuppie

naem
May 29, 2011

blowfish posted:

$300? Pfffft. That's what each piece of gear alone costs.

Don't forget that they come out with a new version of everything every year and you need to buy the entire 7 piece kit, so that you match all the other people who also bought it all, so that you can look down on anyone with last year's cram-jacket© or three year old TurboScrums™® on their FnorkPakk©®

naem
May 29, 2011

Old people want to dress and act like young people still so the ads feature hip young people with DuPontNordel™© advanced action liposomes on their TurboNugsz™® brand crompets

naem
May 29, 2011

I brought my $700 trek-something to get a spoke fixed and a new tire put on and my local bike shop gave me the shittiest attitude, liked I'd walked into their basement cool guy club and not a business I was going to pay $200 bucks to.

And they were a bunch of scrawny little spandex dorks too so when I got visibly upset and like, furrowed my brow or whatever they got all scared and ran and hid behind the counter until I coaxed them out like "it's ok guys here you go, yeeees money, money goood, me freeeeeeind"

naem
May 29, 2011

The standard no plans weekend day used to be "errands, shopping, borders/Barnes noble book/music browsing/coffee, then lunch/dinner out then rent a physical movie at a physical place."

It was nice because your laziest possible day still meant going somewhere and doing a thing. You could take a girl out on "lazy Saturday" and as far as she knew it was a nice date

ALL of that is now tapping your phone alone in the dark and boxes magically appear in my apt building, movies and music are instant and often free and I can't be bothered to even watch them on a TV.

If I'm single I wouldn't even leave my house now sometimes unless forcing myself to jog

naem
May 29, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was also a large Gen Xers population that openly disliked Blockbuster for a long time, too, after the mid-90s or so. Blockbuster was quite often viewed with a lot of contempt because they were big corporate video store that didn't care NC-17 versions of films (even though they did get around this sometimes with 'unrated' releases) and they weren't the same sort of curated selection of a college town indie video store, they were too slow to upgrade their stock to DVD, they were monsters for dumping (literally) their VHS collections when they finally did because they needed the room for all the new DVD stock they were rebuying and didn't want other local stores to buy up their VHS stock.

"Liking music and movies" was a thing that required real effort and driving around looking at physical stuff and networking with people to find out about "that one movie it was insane what's it called oh yeah evil dead heh you haven't heard of it" and then YOU got to be "go watch this movie it's insane heh" to someone else and that could be your whole thing. "I like movies"

It wasn't just "tap your phone some more oh yeah I watched this"

I'm a millennial (just) but I remember the rummaging around in a cardboard box of disks era like some kind of cultural heritage was being passed down by that one 25 year old in a black tshirt everyone in high school was somehow friends with

naem
May 29, 2011

The last time I went to a Sears I bought one of those flannel shirts that come in a plastic bag with lots of plastic clip things on it, for a Halloween costume (lumberjack). The shirt fell apart before the night was over. It might have been on the shelf longer than I've been alive

naem
May 29, 2011

Do people really throw bags of corn at a hole a lot? Like on purpose?

naem
May 29, 2011

Borders and b&n big box stores with cafes both sprang up to take advantage of the traditional small book store's former model of "a gross damp hole"

They were both a great place to spend a dollar on coffee and do homework for 3 hours in air conditioning

naem
May 29, 2011

Darth123123 posted:

Why do you "hang" in a retail establishment for 4 hours?

There used to be this thing where you go outside of your house/apt and do stuff on purpose instead of tapping your phone and boxes show up at your house

Several businesses catered to this trend to create a pleasant atmosphere as part of their sales strategy, one could spend ones leisure sipping coffee and reading while shopping (leisure was a period of deliberate non-labor undertaken for pleasure that was once granted by employers)

naem
May 29, 2011

I'll sell out for a measly one billion

naem
May 29, 2011

Martinpale posted:

I've read a lot about how, behind the scenes, the amount of fighting that the Costco leadership has to do with it's shareholders is insane - it's nearly constant open warfare between the 'you're being stupid, the company is perfectly fine doing it this way' leadership and the 'pay employees less! Don't give them health insurance! More profits! etc.' shareholders. It helps, i'm sure, that the company founders are still actively engaged in the business, but you have to believe that the shareholders are salivating at the chance to gently caress things up once they retire/die.

It's astounding that no one else sees things like 'if we have people knowledgeable about electronic products, and makes sure that the customer knows what they're buying AND how to use it properly..then it doesn't come back, and we don't have to deal with a return' as a good thing.

This is a really good metaphor for America too

naem
May 29, 2011

We just need a representative government that puts the needs of its people first to regulate that market

naem
May 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

if only life were like an MMO, with unlimited skilled jobs available for all

Just run around bonking animals on the head for gold!

naem
May 29, 2011

Warren Buffett is famous for holding stocks long term and riding out short term volatility and it's made him v successful

naem
May 29, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't get how companies managed to convince the general public that Defined Contribution is the better option for retirement and managed to kill off Defined Benefit. I work in this loving industry and I seriously don't understand it.

The economy was so incredibly strong and there was so much opportunity-even for average middle class people- that they got away with this for years

naem
May 29, 2011

*adjusts glasses* I believe that if you refer to these several peer reviewed studies you will find that in fact ME MEEEE MINE MINE GIMME GIIIMMEEEEE MU HU HU HA HA *thunder, organ music*

naem
May 29, 2011

When five bizillion old people are pennyless and dying in the street I'm pretty sure they'll vote for increased "not dying in the street" taxes anyways

naem
May 29, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

Didn't they try to carve out a sort of semi-afforable gentrified paradise in Oakland for a while before it became crime central after everyone realized there were a bunch of yuppies just waiting to get stole from?

Very much yes. All the livable areas filled up quick and then rents rose to match elsewhere, and then a bunch of failed gentrification happened where yuppies tried moving into really some dangerous poor neighborhoods and the locals were having none of it

naem
May 29, 2011

Malkof posted:

I left my last management position for my current job which I get paid more to do half the work and no one reports to me. Shits great man.

same

naem
May 29, 2011

Aren't there towns where Walmart is now the only store?

Like the tire place and oil change place and optometrist and book/music/electronics/grocery stores all went out of business

naem
May 29, 2011

Iron Prince posted:

i live in a metro-area town with a population of about 100,000 people and wal mart is our towns largest non-government employer. the school district is actually #1, but walmart is close behind employing almost 2,000 people. and three out of the four walmarts in town have full service optometry centers, automotive centers, outdoor equipment, loving LUMBERYARDS and shitloads of other things. the fourth one is an exception because it has an actual 24/7 emergency clinic in it.

Welcome to costco Walmart, I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good. If that town was such a poo poo hole then I'm glad it's confined to just one store now.

What about quaint small towns with nice local shops owned by families for generations like in a Charlie Brown Christmas special because they destroyed that too