Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
All this car talk made me scared my 2011 Toyota Tacoma wasn't the sound choice I'd assumed when I got it for cheap. Turns out it's the truck of choice for middle eastern terrorists and dirt poor American farmers alike. Toyota, the diplomatic handshake of trucks.

I also own a Ford Fiesta and a Fiat so maybe I got lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure the military technicals are much older models (Chad won a war against Libyan tanks with Toyotas in 1987) and the new Toyotas are way less durable.

Ahh goddamn. Well I'll just cancel next weekend's plans then.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Sugar Land, TX has a separate Babies R' Us down the street from Toys R' Us, and while I've never been to the Babies location, the Toys is actually pretty nice. I was going there to get stuff for my nephews and niece, and was always stocked and current.

I will say thought that from what I remember, 20 years or so ago the Toys stores in the Houston areas were a real poo poo pile. This was when they still their video games behind a closed counter and you bought them by grabbing a paper from the videogame wall that had the name of the game on it and turned it in at the counter (honestly, I thought that was a cool system). Anyways, the Houston stores were huge but that meant long aisles sparsely stocked and never the right or current toys stocked. Also, they were just generally not maintained well.

I'm being a horrible snob, but this seems to be a trend with every retail store in Houston that isn't based around an outlet mall/the Galleria/Baybrook. Maybe there are nicer stores somewhere, but I'm not seeing them. Sugarland in particular is managing to be seedy as gently caress and wildly over-grown at once. Just store upon store of sad grey nothing, then a sea of retail hell made to look nice but still struggling as hard as any other Houston mall. Houston is great for headshops, but try and find a higher-end retailer and you're doomed.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm still confused, and a child-level breakdown would be rad? Cause that poo poo sounds roughly the same as "poo poo-canned for no reason, now go starve without unemployment" and "tanked for ~reasons~ get hosed" to me. Also unions aren't allowed in right to work?

Oh my god labor laws make me feel dumb as a brick. I didn't realize we hated our workforce this much? I'm a welder and in a trade union so maybe I don't have to deal with this poo poo personally.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Jan 8, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
So...everyone is hosed regardless? Wow that's a bad system.

I've only ever been a cook, mechanic, hotel worker, or welder. I didn't know this poo poo, I'm not being dense, I had no idea. Retail sucks harder than I ever thought and that's soooo much.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Jan 8, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
If I punched a union member every time they complained I would never stop punching dumbasses. They all complain. Dues, Fraternization, Dues, Obama, Dues, Trump, Dues, Taxes, Taxes, Pay increases (!?!), Dues, Tool Rules, Safety, Osha! The list is so long I forgot the rest.

But holy gently caress my man, I'd still take all of that over what you're looking at. loving hell, we have a "no loving in Fight Club" rule and that still sounds more fair than what happened to you. Also, nice move on the references and friend promotions. loving dick bosses and their power moves.

Unions have done nothing but save my rear end, but I know I'm in the minority (and also a woman, which seems to help?). I wish you better luck man.

Edit: I worked as a female bartender for a hot minute and I know personally the strife, btw. Men have it weirdly lovely in that field. Seriously, I commiserate. (I'm not pretty enough for night work :smith:)

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jan 8, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I knew a guy who used fish antibiotics to help with an infection he got in his elbow after a nasty fall.

Knew. Dude is dead due to dying of loving sepsis because he didn't have a loving clue how to properly dose himself or which antibiotics to use because they're not all the loving same you goddamn morons. Don't use fish antibiotics ordered off a random website how the gently caress is this even something I have to say??

edit: Holy poo poo, come to think of it I know two different people that used fish antibiotics. The other guy used the antibiotics for a knee injury but is still alive as far as I know. He definitely had what looked like gangrene last I saw so I'd say DO NOT USE FISH MEDS.

Also probably don't buy your meds at Petco.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Feb 9, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I recall a story of US healthcare where someone used literal cat drugs to treat themselves as regular prices were too high. This was way, way back before Obamacare though.

For some reason, doomsday preppers, rural farmers, and survivalists love themselves some veterinary medications. Being from rural Texas I have seen people use medications for any farm animal you can think of to "save money" or just so they can avoid the doctor. It's more common than you think, and really dumb.

I mean, I hate going to the doctor but I'm not gonna go out to the barn and grab the Nitrofurazone when I slice my arm open on the rusty fence. That's lunacy.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Feb 9, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
He was commenting on the fact that online retail is not going to kill brick and mortar retail completely as there are some shops that only thrive with in-person traffic.

edit: I keep trying to figure out why Guitar Center exists and I can't. Pawn shops are everywhere and ebay exists. They don't charge out the rear end for an instrument, how can people keep spending money at Guitar Center without vomiting at their sales tag prices? Or punching their sales people in the neck?

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 11, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I am lucky enough to know a few luthiers and have a great local shop near me with competent technicians. Plus all the pawn shops I know of are happy to let you plug in their stock and try it out. I guess I live in a wonderland for being a guitar enthusiast and really take it for granted. poo poo gently caress it's sad that people have to rely on Guitar Center like that. Perhaps the chain has overexpanded and used hostile takeovers too much in my area and I'm jaded there too. I miss real Musician's Friend shops so much :smith:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BloodBag posted:

GC is better in Houston than the locals that have been here for ages. I wanted to support a local guy and had him refinish my guitar, it came back with what looks like krylon rattlecan all over it and he broke a bridge stud that is unobtanium that I have to figure out how to get made in the machine shop I work in. Meanwhile GC beautifully repaired the broken headstock on my Les Paul. It's nice going to GC to gently caress around on gear and try new stuff because everyone there does it. Going to a local where the guy just looks at you while you nervously bang out 4 chords of smoke on the water sucks. He just wants you gone so he can drink a beer and smoke a J out back.

Lol, dude I'm from Houston. I wanna know what GC you go to, for real. Granted I don't use their repair services cause I have a guy for that but I'd love to go to an "Ikea but for music" that doesn't make me hate myself for learning guitar. It doesn't help that I almost exclusively buy 80's era Ithacas. I get mocked for that by everyone.

I will say that the most of the local stores suck. I'm looking at YOU, Rockin Robins. The glowering stare if you DARE touch the poorly hung Les Paul knockoff at most small shops is just hilarious.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Mar 12, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Don't eat southern food unless the accent of the cook/owner is molasses thick and genuine.
But seriously, how do you screw up the one food everyone can make? Mac is basic as gently caress? Are they getting zesty with the spices or breaking the cheese? Hoooow?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

there wolf posted:

Soggy noodles resting in a half-inch of oily water with a layer of burnt cheese on top.

This upsets me to my absolute core. I, as a chubby southerner, apologize. That is a culinary crime. Hyulrk...I keep imagining biting into that. I can't even science the reason it would turn out like that. drat.

PS: Chuys is just poo poo and not Tex/Mex. Potato chip crusted, tomatillo sauced, deep fried chicken. That poo poo should be heaven. It isn't and that makes exactly zero sense. loving chain texmex.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jul 21, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh man, best southern food I ever had was made by a lady who cooked it at her house down the road every Friday and sold it to businesses in the neighborhood. Jerk chicken, mac and cheese, sweet potato corn bread, greens, red beans and rice.
Yes. I love these joints!

In my town that would be Fridays at May-belle's, every plate costs $10 and you get what she wanted to make that day. And you will love it.
Ox-tail once a month are obviously the best. That woman never has to worry about being a dying business, our county will worship her until the heat death of the universe.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

Sorry, unless Maybelle is running a bespoke food cart in Manhattan, it's trash. Complete trash.

It's May-Belle, get it right. And she serves out of the local Church of Christ annex. Bespoke? We gots 100+ year old churches for that poo poo. Sorry Manhattan can't compete with extra rural Texas.

I like your sense of humor, guy.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Clitch posted:

Here's a serious question. Has anyone managed to cash out millions in Bitcoin in hard currency and not bricks of heroin or white slavery?

I'd seriously like an answer to this as well. Googling the subject is just giving me a bunch of bullshit. It's oddly difficult to find any real, intelligent, believable (this is the real problem area) info about cryptocurrency. Not that I want to flush a bunch of money down a hole, I wanna laugh at it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
"walking garbage zambonis" is the most appropriate description of JNCO I have ever seen. I'd forgotten just how drat stupid late 90s/early 00's fashion was. I feel like that's a fashion era that's never gonna have a comeback.

E: Been binging through my Sum 41 + Korn playlist on Spotify and getting all misty-eyed over here. I miss thinking I could pull off the scene-chick look. Nostalgia, drat.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Feb 26, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

For the Sub-Zero crowd I can see them gravitating to something like a Dyson or a Rainbow, or just having a built in system.

I've done direct Rainbow Vacuum System consumer sales for Rexair to make ends meet. We'd ring your doorbell, hope you don't slam it at in our faces, invite our way in with a promise of free cash, cleaning products and a scratch off ticket that gave you a certain % off the final purchase. We were cheaper than Kirby, and had a better product over all so it felt as scummy as anything, but at least we weren't the gross Kirby guys.

It's decent work if you're great at sales, but you definitely only make sales with olds and it feels disgusting. Plus it's a side job that earns you 10K a year if you truly have the hustle. I stand by the product, I still have one that I swear by, but it is gross targeted marketing , quality be banned,

One commission check kept me fed for two months, but what was the price to my soul? This assumes I had one.

edit: Their main hiring criteria was "could you be a horrible game show host?' If you had the gift of gab you were in.
They ran the sells as though the were a gamehow that you "won" by cleaning an area I dusted with some baking soda or chalk powder. If I successfully cleaned the area of dust, the rainbow won and you still got prizes. Holy poo poo that job was scum.

Rexair: ruining co-eds and felons via corporate greed and an out-moded type of sales game.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Mar 10, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I know for a fact Rexair made more money off replacing the water tank filters and hoses than they did raw unit sales. The parts failed frequently due to just normal wear and we'd replace them for a moderate fee. These parts were specifically not included in the lifetime warranty for a reason. They didn't have bags and brushes to replace, so they made some up.

The only good part about Rexair/Rainbow was I got to make commission off of replacement parts on any machine I sold. I only saw one of those checks because I quit the job fast, but I know guys who used those checks for chistmas gifts and car payments. They required them to survive.

Direct d-d sales is gross and predatory no matter what.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

My GMC has one stick on the left of the wheel that controls both turn signals (push up/down for right/left) and wipers (a little ring-shaped selector that twists), and as a result I always end up fighting with anything that has a separate stick for the wiper.

I genuinely passed on buying a car because during the test drive I kept turning on the wipers that were inexplicably on a separate stick in the exact spot you'd normally find the signal stick. Like all other things considered I would have gone for it, but that loving wiper thing just ruined everything for me.

I mean I was smart on accident because it was a late 80's redblock Volvo. Guy kept a fire blanket in the trunk for those frequent pesky engine fires. I didn't know much about cars back then.

Edit: Vehicle related: The ownership at the Harley repair shop I work for are losing their loving minds in fear that the Trump steel tariffs are going to make new bikes completely too expensive to make. Parts could triple in price as well. They're scaring us with the threat of $30m extra a year just to run the Wisconsin plant. That's some bullshit after an already horrible year. Our parts and accessories have gone up 20-30% in the last year or so and I know we lose customers weekly cause I handle billing and sales. I hope this is just scaremongering.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Mar 15, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The joose guy proved there is always a market for grand pianos, it just requires eyeballing the measurements.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Mar 19, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
They're being bought out by Right Capital. They're not closing yet, they'll just restructure their corporate, cut BOH wages, then cut the money spent at all their stores, and change their management and FOH/BOH workflow, all while marketing this as a "change for the better". Then shut down a couple of stores for not performing at 400% of expected earnings, then cut wages again. Then just shut everything down because no one needs mid-tier pizza chains.

Chain restaurants, especially small regional chains, die a slow painful death and they take everyone they can with them. Screaming in horror, if at all possible.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. They'll close 15 stores, move the "good" employees (maybe two managers and a few cleaning crews on contract) to open stores. They have a lot of wiggle room with that "substantially" bit there. Basically they can claim to retain a lot of employees by making them quit via low wages and hours.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Apr 17, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Weatherman posted:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Yes. So many.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wait really? Cause I was a horrible tomboy that got dragged to Jo-Ann daily by my mother and it just turned me into a quilter. Thanks to a lifetime of endless sewing, crafting and quilting classes I can spend whole paychecks at any craft store because I drank the Flavorade and I lust for ways to afford my hideous sewing budget. Spend too many hours in a Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby or Michael's and you just give in and start creating. God help me I teach classes now. I hope craft stores all die. I'm going broke.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
:smith: Ow. Too real.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I can definitely see approaching $30 on a delivery back before online ordering. Back in 2000ish when I worked at Dominos if you didn't have a coupon and you wanted like a large specialty pizza and didn't have a coupon you were looking at paying $18 and change just for the pie. We made bank on people who didn't know what pizza was worth or how to ask for specials. It was basically an idiot tax. You're already stupid for buying a terrible pizza, why not overpay for poo poo?

My god that job was dire.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm a fan of water. You guys heard of that poo poo? Refreshing and amazing. Hits ya right in the thirsty.

Diet Dr. Pepper is better than water

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The Snoo posted:

are you making GBS threads me

http://www.petproductnews.com/News/Petco-to-Close-Drs-Foster-and-Smith/

Petco is entirely owned by people who hate animals and being good to them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, ensuring people's pets die sooner means they have to replace them more often, or sick pets with no help sell more medicines in stores which means bigger profits. I don't want to sound all Big Pet Pharma here but that felt like Petland's secret policy when I was a fish and reptile manager. I tried to stop ordering in goldfish bowls because they're cruel and lead to grissly premature death from toxic living conditions but see, they make way too much profit so I was forced to keep them stocked. Same with betta bowls. They also charged $1200 for crossbreed dogs they get from "private breeders" which were basically just puppy mills for mutts. I'll never shop at a Petland again after what I experienced working there.

Pretty sure you're absolutely right. I worked at Petco as a float and every time I had to work the small rodents or birds I would remember why I had to quit. Goddamn the trauma I got from that job. :stonk: All the big pet store chains are actively malevolent on purpose. It's good for business.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
This thread just made me realize I have 4 independant hay and feed stores, 2 Tractor Supply Co, and genuinely countless private farms that give away food and hay within easy distance. I can't get to a Target without a massive pain in my rear end, but my rabbits and goats eat like royalty all day. Rural living, best living.

Someone please send me some cute clothes, everything I own is flannel and denim.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I worked at a Buc-ees in high school just down the road from corporate. You were required to be a non-smoker, you were only allowed "break moments" that couldn't be more than 5 minutes long, and you were yelled at extensively if any customer complained about anything. I had to go to corporate for service classes where they trained you on every single tiny bit of customer service minutiae that you can possibly imagine. The employee handbook was 182 pages long. I never, ever, had to guess at how to handle a situation with a customer because they had a Rule For That and you were fired if you hosed it up. We prayed before every shift as a requirement.

They also paid $11.22 an hour in 1999 to a 17 year old gently caress up that was super weird and extremely tiresome, so yeah. They're loving rad. Please help keep the bathrooms nice, they're amazingly hard to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's nuts. I knew someone who worked at one and he really liked it and didn't describe it like this at all. I wonder if it has changed or if he was just a true believer.

Whoops, yeah I made that sound awful. It's changed a lot, and also I worked about 15 minutes from HQ in one of the original, normal sized Buc-ees. I didn't mean to make it sound terrible, I loved it there. They worked you hard but treated you with ample respect, which is unicorn-levels of rare for a convenience store.

The non-smoking, yelling, let us pray was worth it.