Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Liquid Chicken posted:

The setup for failure. Bennington, Vermont has a strip mall with a Kmart, JcPenny's and a Radio Shack. Just need a hat trick of closures and all that will be left is a sad Hallmark, PayLess Shoes and Staples. The Wal-Mart is expanding into a Super Wal-Mart nearby so that should be the final nail in the coffin for this strip o' poo poo.

They could advertise as a museum of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The Sears less than a block from my house is closing, along with the mechanic and tire place that I'm not entirely sure is connected to it anymore or not. It was always an eyesore compared to the rest of the shopping area around it, which for the most part has some somewhat high end shops, and a nice local bookstore. Even the pavement was lovely compared to the rest of the parking lot.
It's probably going to spend a few years as an abandoned eyesore before being demolished for more stores, a bank, or a Kroger.

Also, the mall across the street probably won't last much long, neither. I have no idea what anyone could with that. Oh, and the Macy's and JCPenny connected to the mall, too?

Now that I think about it, with all these stores around that block that probably won't last, that area is at risk of looking like poo poo in a few years.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Around here, Chipotle restaurants always have a line to the door to order food, while Moe's and Qdoba are mostly deserted. Not sure how anyone could think they're in any danger whatsoever.

I've never been to Chipotle nor Moe's, but there's a place in town called Swanky's that I go to a lot that makes the same kinds of food. I've been told by others that Chipotle isn't as good.

I also went to school with the son of someone who I believe worked for the Moe's company in some capacity.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

blowfish posted:

Wait, do small and mid-sized restaurants not have their own delivery driver where you live? In Germany, you just go to pizza.de (a site that lets restaurants put up an interactive menu) and order takeout from basically any restaurant within a 5km radius.

Traditionally only pizza and Chinese places have delivery in the US, maybe some sub places, too.

It's been years since I've had food delivered to my place, most of the decent restaurants in my area don't deliver, or my house is not within the range of their deliveries.

Space Robot has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Feb 29, 2016

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

That poo poo aint nothin', check out what my town has.

It has an aquarium, a small lake with fish and ducks, and live alligators. Plus hotel rooms with balconies looking over the store.
It also boasts the largest free standing elevator in the country, that you have to pay $10 to ride to the top of.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Ferroque posted:

Super top heavy management that doesn't know what the gently caress they are doing.

A failed merger with Officemax/OfficeDepot that hurt more than just doing nothing.

Staples is hosed.

e: only good thing they have is buy online, pickup in store and free shipping if you're a rewards member although that probably costs them a lot.

The Staples nearest my house, which was in a shopping center only a couple years old to begin with, closed down and is now used as an occasional store for selling Halloween stuff. The rest of the year it's empty.

The same shopping center has a Sports Authority, a Petco, a Chipotle, a Best Buy, a froze yogurt place, a mattress store, a Target, and a Panera Bread. Outside of Sports Authority, which one of those do you think will go under first?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Frozen yogurt is just bullshit ice cream and people are waking up to that fact, so thats my guess

That, and the newest fad seems to be Gelato and juice bars.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Trojan.exe posted:

I've heard a few B&N stores are going to open up restaurants inside them, more importantly restaurants that also serve booze, which is honestly a brilliant idea if you want to drive more people there to buy books in store. I have certainly been compelled to buy books on the spot more often thanks to cafes inside of B&N, my wallet will be at the stores mercy if wine or beer is involved.

I use to work at a local bookstore that has a restaurant inside it. It's changed names and hands a few times, but so far has lasted since the late 80's, while multiple bookstores in the area have closed.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The Target I work at doesn't play music, which even after a few months of working here still surprises me. I'm so use to having some sort of background music droning on. Sometimes, when the store is on a wind down, the silence almost seems odd.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Alucard posted:

Laser tag resurgence

That reminds me: There's a Laser Quest in my town that been in the same location for as long as I can remember. I use to go a lot for parties when I was a kid, but I haven't been in decades and I have no idea how it still gets business.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The mall two blocks from my house has lost most of its decent stores, and has been becoming more and more crime ridden. It also has an office complex attached to it that my dad worked at when he was at A.G. Edwards, now Wells Fargo, in the early 90's. Both the mall and the office complex use to be decent at one point, but these day you have old ladies in their 90's being beaten and robbed in broad daylight. I'm curious as to what will become of it when it inevitably shuts down.

Also, there was a Sears across the street that shut down, and it's being torn down and replaced with a Norsdtrom Rack and some other stores.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I hate the whole micro apartment craze. It's just a way to try to get by the lovely housing situation in many cities and convince young people that it's hip to live in a place the size of a shipping container. I don't care what city you live in, $700 a month for an apartment without a stove is bullshit.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Is there a list somewhere of the Macy's locations that are closing? There's three in the county I live in, one being in a mall two blocks from me, so I imagine atleast one of those will be closing.

Also, if Macy's goes under, how will that effect the Macy's Day Parade? Do people even give a poo poo about parades anymore?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Is anybody getting Halloween exclusive shops popping up in vacant store fronts right about now? There's one near my place in what use to be an old Staples. It's been there every Halloween for about three years, then the rest of the year it's empty. There's also another one that just builds a giant tent near a local Agricenter complex.

Places like that, and those guys that set up pumpkin patches and Christmas tree lots, how successful can they be? Especially since there's only about two months worth of business, and you can get plenty of the same stuff for cheaper at Target or Walmart.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

poisonpill posted:

Just based off a google search about mattress stores, the article I found said that there aren't just too many mattress stores, there are too many stores in America, period. We have way more retail space per capita than any other country in the world. It's overbuilt, and the huge empty strip malls that sell Halloween junk are, I'm guessing, a symptom of that. I mean, it makes great sense from an owner's standpoint: You rent some nothing space for two months, bulk-buy a ton of cheap inventory (and keep it all in-store, so no other overhead) and pay 29-hr/wk employees to man the cash register while it sells for an insane markup.

Yeah, every strip mall and storefront area where I live seems to have atleast a portion of its retail space empty, and yet I still see new strip malls being built. The area where the Halloween store is has never been able to fill all of it's retail space, and within the five years it's been around, it's lost two of its major chains. Still, it decided to expand and build a chunk of new storefronts in what use to be part of a Target parking lot. The new expansion hasn't been finished, but it has a weird drive through window on the end of the last store.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

How successful is Futaba channel these days?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Teenage me: "LOL take that stoopid preps!!!1"

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

But if A&F goes, how else can I instantly remember all four years of high school by just walking into a store for thirty seconds?

I'd suggest going into a Hot Topic, but that store looks way different from it did when I was in high school.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The Sears near my house was torn down a few months ago, but while driving I discovered that a new Sears was put in a building that use to be a martial arts/cross fit building. It's a fraction of the size of the old Sears, about as big as a gas station. It seems to sell a bunch of things like washing machines and strollers.

In the same shopping center as the Sears used to be there's an independent bookstore that recently announced it will be closing in February. It opened in the late eighties, and I had been going there since I was a baby, I even worked at the restaurant in it for a while.
It's been in financial trouble several times in its lifetime, and used to be part of two different chains, but this time I guess it got too much.
It's the only bookstore left in the city limits outside of some tiny used bookstores. The only others are two Barnes and Nobles in the suburbs.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

We had a fantastic chain of bookstores in Atlanta called Oxford that was essentially Barnes & Noble, but 20 years before B&N became ubiquitous. When B&N and Borders started showing up, the Oxford founder said no one in the suburbs read anyway and refused to expand until it was too late.

Ironically the only thing that survived from the largest independent bookstore chain in the Southeast is a comicbook shop. I keep expecting that to close down, but it's been trucking for 30 years now.

Yeah, there's a comic shop near here that has been around for about that long. It gets steady business from what I've seen.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Some people on Facebook are trying to save the bookstore by getting a petition to encourage someone to buy it. I even saw a flyer about it on the door of one of the stores near the bookstore. I'm pessimistic about it being successful.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Bonzo posted:

How long has the shop been there? The 90s were a VERY bad time for comic shop owners. Every distributor either went out of business or was bought by Diamond. If you didn't like their business practice you had no alternative to get books from Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, etc.

The collector craze and glut of the 90s almost did them in as well as stores had lots of inventory no one wanted. Collectible Card games like Magic brought in new clients who would pay a premium in order to build the perfect deck.

I asked a guy who works there and he said it opened in 19886. I don't know if it was always in the same location. Apparently there use to be a few more comic shops in town, but they closed. I heard one of the owners talking about a rivalry between two of the shops, I don't remember if one of them was that shop, that were across the street from each other. The owners would stand in the front doors and yell at each other and do other crazy poo poo.

The store has some MTG poo poo and a few other collectibles, but not much. It's mostly just comics, it's a small shop.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The Uber (or maybe it was Lift, one of those} ads I've seen/heard on the radio called it "the ultimate side hustle". That was the exact phrasing used.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Petsmart just spent 3 billion expanding its online presence and people spend massive amounts of money on their dogs, so probably not.

poo poo though. Pets.com went belly up trying to mail people kibble and in 2017 Amazon can get me a 30lb competitively priced bag of Blue Buffalo tomorrow. So maybe Petsmart is hosed.

The only reasons I can imagine going to one of those pet places is if you wanted to use their grooming/training services, they had a special cat and dog adoption day, or you wanted to buy one of the small animals/fish/spiders they sell.

How popular are small animals/reptiles/spiders/birds as pets these days?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Ofecks posted:

If you want your cat or dog to eat well, you have to go to a pet store, as supermarkets/wal-mart usually don't carry the good stuff.

Speaking of, I went to Wal-Mart today and they were very busy... downsizing. Taking poo poo off the shelves, packing it up, and taking down the shelves in a bunch of spots. I asked an employee and they are "remodeling".

Yeah, that's a good point. My mom gets dog food and some sort of fish oil to add to it from Hollywood Feed, and I have to get specialized cat food from the vet since my cat is so old.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

(There is a very cheap looking non-Lego Stargate building block set, though.)

I remember seeing that at Target. I like Stargate, but I can't imagine there are many kids who even know what that show is.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I don't have many memories of going to Toys R Us as a kid. Even in the early 90's, most of the toy buying experiences I had were at Target.

Most of the time, when I hear parents talking about going to TRS, it's with a note of exhaustion and dread, and the nearest one is 20 to 30 minutes away.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

There's currently a Halloween shop in an old Staples near me, too. I imagine it's very difficult to find permanent replacements for the storefronts of the ever expanding list of failed businesses, especially when they were specially built for said businesses. The Old Borders in my town is still empty, and still has some bits of shelving in it.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When I was a kid, in addition to the obligatory Halloween store there was a book store that took the same abandoned retail space every summer. Just lots of books, probably bought in bulk or donated from somewhere, but in good condition. What happened to those? Was this just some weird thing where I lived? Because that poo poo ruled.

I've never seen a pop up bookstore, but when I was in school they had a Scholastic Book fair every year, which was pretty fun. I'd be down for a grown up version of that.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

When they finally tore down the once thriving mall in my home town they discovered a bunch of dead bodies buried under it.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

JB50 posted:

From when they built it or further back or after it was built?

My bad- it wasn't so much under the mall directly as within the vicinity of the mall. Apparently, the mall was nicknamed "Mall of Murder" before it closed.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

The "Comic Con" exclusives get sold nationwide in normal retailers anyway. Those Pops are a plague. A woman in the next office over has a bunch, including one for dead Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks wrapped up in the tarp. Why would anyone want that!?

I’ve never seen Twin Peaks, but even I thought that seemed hosed up. I wonder if they have a dead Barbara from Stranger Things.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gengis Grill doesn't care how much you fill it as long as it's on the bowl. I remember my location said that they had one guy from a car wash get a bowl big enough to share for him and a few coworker every Friday for lunch.

Sadly they shut that location down in the middle of the day one day. A customer of mine was an assistant manager there. Said he went to deliver a catering order and when he got back he was locked out and out of a job. :( I think there's only one location left in my state now.

Genghis Grill is good when you know what you are doing with the sauce and spice combination. I'm still fairly new to the place, so I'm still experimenting with the right bowl.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The area I live is pretty boring when it comes to burger joints. The only place we have that has been mentioned on this thread, that I know of, is Five Guys, and that place is overrated, IMO.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The one tea Teavana had that I liked and couldn't get at several other places in town way cheaper is sold at regular Starbucks stores, so there's no loss for me, personally.
The tea sets and pots looked nice, I guess, and the washi tins, but unless I'm having some sort of get together, I couldn't see myself getting much use out of them.

Space Robot has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Dec 5, 2017

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Are salons and barbershops doing well these days? I haven’t had a hair cut in years, but I might get one soon, and maybe dye my hair, but I might just do the dye part myself.

There’s a lot of different electric razors you can buy these days to trim your own hair, and people seem to buy them. I guess most guys do still keep their hair short.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

The target stores here are nice but I don’t step foot in them because the managers are saving a buck by just not running the air con enough. I’m always loving hot and irritable every time I’m in there.

I work at a Target, and I have been told the AC is controlled somewhere else, but I have also seen controls for AC on the walls. :shrug:

Both Target and Amazon have their own generic line of products, and from what I've seen of both, they're probably of similar quality.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

It seems like the people born during the beginning and tail end of different generations live in a kind of limbo where they don't quite fit completely into either the former nor latter.
My mom was born in the end years of the baby boomers, but I never quite saw her as one, but definitely not a Gen X'er.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I installed the iHeart Media app on my phone once, and it began playing the channel really loud and I couldn't get it to turn off for some reason. I immediately uninstalled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I probably would have some Funkos of a few licenses I like myself if they weren't so drat ugly. Not crazy obsessed collector levels, but a few.