Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

big dyke energy posted:

I just drank Jolt Cola :shrug:

I found some at a dollar store this summer and was unbelievably happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Definitely echoing the Micro Center love. I'm lucky enough to have one 20 minutes away and both recent build I did I bought parts from them. Processor/Mobo combos are sweet, knowledgeable employees are great, and even though other parts were like $5-10 more expensive than hunting online it was convenient just grabbing everything there and fun wandering around a huge computer parts wonderland

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I will always love the story of the new Pepsi logo

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Wasn't it like a decade ago they almost died too?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Probably not great timing for Imtamin or Bolliger & Mabillard, either.

I'm sure Cedar Fair will pay them just fine. But yeah, Kings Island getting a giga and BGW getting a world class launch literally right before a pandemic was, uh, not the best

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah, bad timing to be expanding your entertainment venue where people are packed in nose to mouth by the thousands, lol. Also, I thought Cedar Fair was having problems. They finally shut down whatever they were calling Geauga Lake at the end there. Now, it’s like a wasteland of concrete pylons.

Edit: by “finally,” I mean many years ago, of course.

I could be wrong but I think Cedar Fair is fine. They've been knocking it out of the park on basically every new addition and operations are always top-tier. Contrast Six Flags which is a bankruptcy elemental and has bad enough operations that "having a Six Flags kinda day" is the worst luck you can have at a park in the roller coaster community.

As far as Geauga Lake, I think Cedar Fair didn't know what to do with the cluster gently caress of a mega park they had acquired. I might not be 100% on the facts since this was between my roller coaster fan stages, but here's the general gist. Six Flags had built up Geauga Lake (becoming Six Flags Ohio) to compete with both Cedar Point and Kings Island (the other two world class competing parks in Ohio) with massive investments during their period of absolutely bonkers expansion. Seriously, Six Flags in the early 2000s was insane. This included adding several awesome coasters, like the aforementioned Dominator (neé Batman Knight Flight because Six Flags had to DC literally everything), and culminating in a completely bananas idea. They bought Sea World Ohio, as a joint venture with Sea World (who had been getting deeper into the extreme coaster game around this time) to compete with both Paramount (Kings Island owners prior to Cedar Fair's acquisition) and Cedar Fair (owners of Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm and some other small parks). This turned the park into Six Flags World's of Adventure, an absolutely huge park. Like, completely bananas to attempt. At the same time, Six Flags had been building up Kentucky Kingdom just south of Kings Island as well, to compete on another front.

Unsurprisingly, the nationwide (actually, worldwide if you want to count Belgium and Holland) expansion bankrupted Six Flags and (this is where my details get fuzzy) World's of Adventure collapses. Cedar Fair for some reason acquired it, and I'm really not sure why. By this point they'd owned both Cedar Point and Kings Island after Paramount decided to abandon the theme park business. Now with Geauga Lake, they had three major theme parks in Ohio. Cedar Point, their baby, was never going away. A park focused on constantly breaking records and very rarely delivering a bad experience, not far from Geauga Lake. Kings Island, their newly acquired gem, was also not going away. A park with an extremely rich history and a habit of having neat prototypes and a few record breakers, as well as being the birthplace of the modern coaster renaissance with Racer in 1975. This leaves Geauga Lake, which is like I said before is a cluster gently caress. It was never going to compete with the bigger Ohio parks, and Cedar Fair wasn't going to cannibalize the other two parks with it. Stuck with a massive plot of land and no desire to actually do anything with it, they shut it down and relocated most of the major rides to various parks.

So to sum up: No, Cedar Fair didn't sell Geauga Lake to avoid financial disaster. Well mostly, since I think by this point we were in the Great Recession. But it was mainly because it's proximity to their main properties and bizarre growth left them with no better option than give everything a better home.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Zero One posted:

I was working at Cedar Point during this period. Dick Kinzel always wanted to own Geauga Lake and when Six Flags wanted to sell he jumped at the chance after regretting passing on it before. The problem was that while it could thrive as a competitor to Cedar Point they could never find the right way to position it as a sister park. They also got rid of all the Sea World animals which was probably a mistake since that removed a lot of the appeal for people.

Not that they didn’t try to make it work. They even sent one of their best people, Bill Spehn, to be GM. He tried his hardest but he couldn’t do much with it without the enthusiasm from home office (Dick was a well known micromanager... as CEO of the chain he would often be seen walking around Cedar Point making decsions typically left to the seasonal supervisors). They never added any new rides and eventually they gave up on it. Bill came back to Cedar Point to his old job but GL kinda ruined his career and he never got to be a GM again. Super nice guy though.

Oh interesting! I never realized there was actually a strong desire to own Geauga Lake. It just has such weird positioning that yeah maybe it could've competed under Six Flags if they were competent, but being a sister park to the other two would be impossible. Like really, when your sister parks are freaking Cedar Point and Kings Island and within a few hours of each other you're doomed to failure.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Coasterphreak posted:

Yeah, I get having it as a separately ticketed event, but the pricing structure this past year was just an obvious cash grab.

If you want to have less kids wandering around after dark getting in trouble, just do what Cedar Fair did and make sure they have a loving babysitter. It’s not rocket surgery.

e: he’ll, when attendance took a hit, CF even started handing out free admission if you brought enough kids with you and actually kept an eye on them.

Also big shoutout to CF for making all 2020 season passes into 2021 ones for free, even though my two parks opened in fall 2020 just absolute lol if I would go to them before getting vaxxed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Rick posted:

Unfortunately it looks like he’s right. Too many people came crawling back after two days so they have no reason but to proceed.

I’ll be interested in what things look like post-June 30th. I’m out once Apollo shuts down. I’m not changing my daily routine until it just doesn’t work