Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FilthyImp posted:

Once they got rid of the original cast they gravitated towards the same tired Serial Character bits like Swan or Stuart that had infested SNL during Molly Shannon's tenure.

They only showed up a handful of times, but Marsh and Amy's X-News were excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

kdrudy posted:

Ain't nothing lovely about Fletch

Fletch Lives, on the other hand...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bongwizzard posted:

What are you talking about? I drive about 15-20 extra miles round-trip to go to a a Wegmans rather then to the somewhat crappy other chains by my house.

I've done that too -- the nearest grocery store was truly awful, although I did live in Bumfuck, Nowhere at the time -- but we're absolutely in the teeny tiny minority on that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats what I was planning on, but it didn't happen. Now 10 years from now I'll have to explain Kevin Smith movies to kids that have never even heard of malls or New Jersey.

If we're still around 10 years from now, our movies might be a bit like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23SVHUPrUJ4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bonzo posted:

useless people with "PMP" in their email signature.

Hey, I may be useless and I may have "PMP" in my email signature, but I... hm.

Not really. I don't have an email signature

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Neon Noodle posted:

Read the book:

Yes, this is probably what we're headed for :thumbsup:

I genuinely had no idea about the (possible) inspiration for the movie! Looked it up and it seems interesting yet incredibly hard to read. I mean:

quote:

I cud feal it in the guts and barrils of me. You try to make your self 1 with some thing or some body but try as you wil the 2ness of every thing is working agenst you all the way. You try to take holt of the 1ness and it comes in 2 in your hans.

Wait... holy poo poo, it reads like people texting.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Choco1980 posted:

My dad had the original Forrest Gump book when I was a kid years before the movie. It was all written terrible as well, as it was supposed to be from Forrest's own hand, so it was this novel length history of most of the baby boomer generation, written at a first grade level, spelling and grammar mistakes and all. Even as a kid I couldn't see anyone possibly tolerating reading that.

loving The Sound and The Fury. Goddamn.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't think so, Tim

*sad grunt*

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Radio Shack had to go bankrupt in order to find their​ one true saviour product line :aaa:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bonzo posted:

I've worked from home before and you just can't get the same level of collaboration talking on a speakerphone as you do having face to face meetings. I spent a week each quarter in the home office to just connect on a person level with those on my team.

That assumes you can have face-to-face interaction even if you go into the office. My company requires me to go in 90% of the time (and our badging-in is actually tracked), yet my function is so geographically scattered that the closest person I work with is 2 timezones away. So instead of going to my desk at home and putting on a headset when I need to talk to someone, I drive 30 minutes to sit at my desk in the office and... put on a headset when I need to talk to someone.

Not saying the Yahoo crew was doing anything right, but blanket policies rarely make sense, esp. with gigantic companies.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Irradiation posted:

Look at that poor husband and wife making only 650k. :(

Hey, you don't know their candle budget! :saddowns:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Does anyone buy $20 records anymore?

I'm sure it's fantastically rare, and I only do it when I want to throw some money at small bands. I just paid $20 for a new LP via Bandcamp for the vinyl (I know, but look at the album art!) and the accompanying high bitrate MP3s. The band gets a bigger cut than they would through most other stores, you get a little extra something... sounds like a decent arrangement.

But yeah, if anyone out there is selling a big-label-backed CD for $20 and expecting me to spring for it :laffo:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Fronts for money laundering.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yup, I think so too.

And the fly-by-night manufacturers (resellers?) flooding the third-party seller marketplace is just as out of control. I searched for Bluetooth headsets yesterday, only to find the exact same thing at the exact same price sold by household names such as ALWOA, coolbit, MLcoco, Ansion, and I'm sure many others.

Why yes, all of these products have F ratings on Fakespot. How'd you know?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Of course they would. With the large amount of physical space that will never be reused, many Sears shopping centres will simply end up deteriorating into unusable conditions. From there, the homeless population will sneak in and make use of the unusable space, building shantytowns that evolve into full fledged communities. And as the Simpsons prophesied, the post-Trump depression will make not tearing down these buildings a more financially viable strategy. As these buildings become more decrepit, the secret communities actually strengthen the skeleton while letting the metaphorical flesh rot off, intentionally. When the economy takes a minor upswing, those in power will finally wish to destroy those who live outside their walls, and operation 'Destroy Sears for Good' begins. But anyone who ventures inside, with aim to forcibly remove the illegal vagrants, never returns. The spokespeople for these communities declare they have done nothing to these disappearance, never laying a finger against their destructors. Eventually, their bodies are removed from the buildings, having been found under the rubble of fallen ceilings, drowned in rivers of waste that came from the washrooms, and somehow recovered from near bottomless sinkholes. The world comes to conclusion, the active deterioration of these buildings has become weaponized. Where the native population know how to live within these ecosystems, those without knowledge of the safe passages would surely parish. The vagrants have become one with the ecosystem of late stage capitalism, and those who built it have failed to make it past the greeter's podium.

The only solution is to destroy the buildings, regardless of the lives inside. Some try bombs, some use fire, but the end result is all the same. As stucco and plaster fall away, what's left in their place is an impenetrable system of reclaimed and re-purposed trash that is people's homes. Those who had been denied place and access within our society have forcibly taken it from us, and built something stronger in it's place. Knowing that nothing can destroy what is now the strongest fortresses in the land, the Sears Dwellers proclaim sovereignty. Our children, acknowledging the way the wind is blowing, leave to join this society. Overnight their populations triple, even those who had once been senators and CEOs had bowed down to their will. It was said they were the footsoldiers when they forcibly took control of the Toys R' Us', and it was then when we knew the American Empire was to fall.

Dredd prequel pitch looking good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Funko had $426M in sales last year :psyboom:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: no, those grounds mozzarella sticks are cursed and filled with the souls of the damned

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Doggles posted:

In a desperate attempt to stop circling the drain, Simon Property Group sued Starbucks to keep Teavana stores open in the 77 malls Simon owned. The judge in the case somehow sided with Simon and Starbucks is now legally barred from closing their failing stores! :psyduck:

As mind-fuckingly baffling as this decision is, I can't imagine it will survive even a whiff of an appeal to some higher court. I know it's Indiana, but still.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

pr0zac posted:

This thread has made me both embarrassed about the Costco green tea I drink as well as intrigued about what I'm apparently missing out on.

Join us in the thread for that, my man. You'll be spending stupid amounts of money on leaves and other plant detritus in no time!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Der Kyhe posted:

Membership-based barbershops

Finally -- finally! -- Europe managed to out-stupid the US in something.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Neon Noodle posted:

Actual dire straits, their CEO is a lowpoly furniture delivery guy

:golfclap:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stairs posted:

The entirety of the 90's Warner Brothers era was a mistake except Space Jam.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt and assume you stroked out and just forgot about Animaniacs et al.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
eBay's great -- somehow -- for raw materials for my idiot hobbies. Woodturning blanks which are way cheaper than what you'd get elsewhere, metal stock in dimensions that I can't find in stores, cheap parts/tools that I need to use exactly once (and are so cheaply made I'll also be able to use them only once). I love it.

Also, I've bought and sold far too many Amiga-related items that way until I finally gave up on the hobby... 20 years after nearly everyone else.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Craigslist really brings out the worst in people and the worst people. When I was selling my Triumph, one guy said I was asking too much and as proof sent me a posting of the same model... for sale in New Orleans, 520 miles away.

poo poo, if he were willing to shop juuust a little further out, I bet he would've found an even better deal in northern Yukon.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like guacamole but one day I got some rolled tacos and my body decided it wanted to be allergic to it all of the sudden. :(

Odds are you know, but just in case: you should also watch out for other things like bananas, mangoes, and latex. All apparently share the same protein (?) and it's not an exhaustive list of cross-reactivity. An allergist is the only one who can really tell.

Also, the protein apparently breaks down or changes after being cooked at certain temperatures. Even though I became allergic to bananas in my early 30s, I can still eat banana bread :confuoot:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't drink coffee. It tastes gross.

:hfive:

Tea supremacy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
See, they lose on every transaction but make it up in volume.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Biplane posted:

you should all sleep on a floor of dirt and moss like a animal

Look at fancy man over here with his moss.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Do they even have enough money to fight the inevitable class action lawsuit?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"The Whore of Mensa" but with cheap wings.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I just don't get how companies with that much money/infrastructure sell poo poo that doesn't exist, or have no idea when it will exist. I used to sell my hot sauces and fruit butters on Etsy. When I put the listings up, I'd tell Etsy how many I had of each kind in stock. They not only kept track so I never sold anything I didn't have, but also sent me an email when I was running low on a particular flavor so I knew to make more. If Etsy can do that for a one-woman operation making product in her own kitchen (and then multiply that by the thousands of individual etsy sellers) how do these massive corporations with eleventy kajillion dollar IT/inventory departments keep dropping the ball?

(Apropos of nothing, I love your name and avatar, Davros1. Think I'll put on Resurrection of the Daleks while I make today's batch of hot sauce)

I worked on something related to that at a Bighuge Tech Company, and our problem was a combination of inertia and appetite for change.

Inertia because we had been running our e-commerce platform for so long that the underlying hardware was (a) obsolete and needed special servicing by the manufacturer who was (b) our chief competitor -- back when we started selling online we didn't actually have competing products. If you were building a platform today, you'd never ever build it like ours was. To modernize it and enable something as simple* as inventory tracking, you'd need to tear up everything, end to end. We're talking years of work and tens, if not hundreds, of millions spent.

The other problem is more accurately "lack of appetite for being the one to take the fall if things go wrong," and is related to the fact it would take years of work. If you're a VP who'd be on point for this undertaking, the upside to being successful is tremendous. But, the downside to failing is waaaay bigger. Then take into account that VPs move around/out often, so very few would be around to own the project, success or failure. So nobody wants to own it, the CEO/board doesn't want to spend money on it, and you have to keep the current platform running in parallel to keep the lights on. It's way easier to just throw people at the problem and hope they can plug the holes in the dike...

... except then the opex spikes and oh no we have to :airquote: rightsize :airquote: and hey we don't really need all that headcount, do we?

* It's not simple at all, at least when you rely on dozens of suppliers across the world who are each running their own poo poo and are probably lying to you.

Trabant has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Oct 1, 2018

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Queen Combat posted:

I don't often shop at Home Depot, but when I do it's in the middle of a project and I visit the store 4 times in one day.

:same:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

rndmnmbr posted:

e. This will happen to these dead gay forums too, eventually.

I think SA will somehow be the last site standing before they turn off the lights on the Internet.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Beachcomber posted:

:china:

Also, how can you tell?

Ha!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Bad internet is a real problem facing rural America.

It's argue that rural America is the problem facing rural America.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Target isn't circling the drain, but they are in drain-circling retail and this is incredibly dumb:

quote:

In a two-month investigation, that began with a concern from a viewer, KARE 11 found Target’s app changes its prices on certain items depending on if you are inside or outside of the store.

For instance, Target’s app price for a particular Samsung 55-inch Smart TV was $499.99, but when we pulled into the parking lot of the Minnetonka store that price suddenly increased to $599.99 on the app.

To test this further, we selected 10 products on the Target app at random, ranging from toys to bottled water to vacuum cleaners. We found that when we entered the store, four of the 10 products jumped up in price on the app.

An Apple Watch band went up $2, a Shark vacuum went up $40, a Graco child car seat jumped $72 and a Dyson vacuum shot up $148 on the app while inside the store.

Our list of 10 items was a total of $262 cheaper in the back of the parking lot on the app with no indication that the prices had changed.

In an emailed statement from Target, the company said "The Target app shows in-store pricing while in store, and online pricing while on the go. If a guest finds any item for a lower price across any of the ways they can shop Target, we'll price match it."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don't think you have feet. I think you might have flippers.

Be kind to Crewman Dax.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Glenn Quebec posted:

My wife and I were watching Turner classic movies and out of the blue the protagonist backhands the female lead for being hysterical. The screen zooms in with the vignette all blurry and she has doe eyes and is holding her cheek and legit goes, "Thanks, I needed that."

It was so surreal and horrifically funny.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bobjr posted:

Unless someone is expecting a system where kids just don't go to school half the day to work jobs.

Fun (?) fact: there are school systems that might enable that capitalist utopia, or at least there were. In ex-Yugoslavia, the grades would be split so that, for example, first through fourth would attend classes 8am - 2pm, and fifth through eighth 2pm - 8pm. Or there might've been overlap, I can't quite remember. You'd do that for a couple of weeks then switch. High school would have a similar schedule, except each "shift" was longer.

It was many moons ago, but that was generally how it worked. And yeah, it sucked as bad as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Segmentation Fox posted:

I have to assume there have been other regional attempts at this sort of 'upscale theater experience', it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing that really scales well.

To the best of my knowledge, Alamo Drafthouse and Violet Crown are both doing well or at least haven't been closing theaters.

Were that theater's tickets alone $25 each or are you talking about tickets + food? Because yeah, that's probably about what I end up spending when I go to Alamo for a ticket ($13) and like a burger and drink.