Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
RIM (Blackberry) was the sweetheart of Canadas tech industry and they were working so hard on BBOS 10.

I was telling everyone "they should really start working on this android platform and port their apps over, there's no room for their OS".

And people said "shut up you are a dumb rear end in a top hat"

Now here it is years later, Blackberry has released an android phone in a desperate attempt to still exist, and everyone still thinks I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Unguided posted:

RadioShack's obsession with selling cell phones and batteries just baffles me. Oldschool RS could've easily capitalized on the maker trends from a couple years back and made tons of money; sell Raspberry Pi and LEDs to arduino buffs who don't want to wait 2-5 days for shipping.

They had arduino kits at the last radio shack I went into.

There's really no money in any of that poo poo though. Anyone with an actual project they want to do will have a specific parts list. Unless the store has everything you need in stock, it is just cheaper and easier to order it all online and wait the 1 or 2 days. If schools are buying stuff they aren't doing it at the mall.

Mostly, though, arduino is a lot of startup companies hyping for venture capital and/or kickstarter money because Obama mentioned it in a speech once. People aren't really running out in droves to learn a dumb way how to make an led blink on and off with a lovely microcontroller.

Cell phones and accessories and contracts are pure gravy that is why radio shack is big on it, the cell phone area is huge at wal-mart or best buy, there are cell phone kiosks everywhere in the mall.

Cell phone bullshit is a 100 trillion dollar a week industry, that is why 99% of a shopping malls floor space is dedicated to it.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dr. Capco posted:

I still use my zune hd at the gym and it owns. Gonna use that fucker until it dies.

You're probably still paying for it.

Zunes were alright but the problem was everyone was trying to create a "cool brand" to compete with Apple on "brand coolness" instead of making better devices cheaper.

What they need to do is just buy a "cool" company and run it from the shadows like how the vanity headphone industry works.

So with all this talk technically superior but not as cool media players and tacky headphones and companies circling the drain, what's up with Creative Labs?

Do people still put SoundBlaster Live cards in their computers?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Aren't a lot of (all) franchises basically just as predatory and lovely as Quiznos? I've heard the same things about Subway, Five Guys, Chipoltle or whatever other fast food trend is sweeping through mall food courts.

You get a "turnkey" business with instant brand recognition and not having to do marketing and whatnot. In exchange, you probably never make any actual money for yourself ever. The scam is to make you think that in 10 years this franchise will be worldwide and you will sell yours for billions and trillions of dollars.

They will show you some example of a guy who bought one of the first McDonalds franchises in 1902 for 34 US cents and now he is worth billions.

These franchises are designed as a product to sell to people who have saved up a fat nest egg and got the hankerin' to be a restaurant owner but don't really know anything about restaurants or leadership and can't be bothered to learn.

That's my thoughts, based on the ex-accountant who owned the Subway I worked at as a kid.

He had a very successful career as a business man (CFO of some company) and was sitting on fat stacks of cash, but mid life crisis hit and he put it all into this Subway franchise, and from what I could tell it was all just so he could say "yes miss, I am the owner.. how about a free footlong beef with extra sauce ;) ;) ;)" to every 15 year old classmate of mine that came in.

In the year and a half I worked there he managed to piss away just about everything and his wife was filing for divorce. I think he managed to find another chump to buy him out of the franchise, because luckily Jared came along and made Subway a hot franchise to own.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Mad Catz have always made poo poo products designed to be the cheap option for moms when junior had a tantrum and smashed his controller in a tantrum and needs a replacement.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FishionMailed posted:

I mean honestly $20 for the ticket, $20 for drinks. $40.

I'd expect to pay more than that on a typical night out anyway :shrug:

Yeah but on a typical night out do you just sit in a chair for an hour and a half? A 40 dollar bar tab is a fun night, or that might be like 20 games of bowling or rounds of minigolf or could buy hundreds of hours of entertainment on Steam or 4 months worth of netflix.

There has never been a film worth paying 40 dollars to view. Not in a world where everyone has cheap big screens and surround sound systems at home. Just my opinion though. I guess some people still really enjoy the "theatre going experience"

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FishionMailed posted:

And again you're not doing much bar hopping with $40 around here unless you only drink lovely things like Coors lite exclusively.

Canada is pretty drat pricey for alcohol but I can get 8 pints of Canadian or whatever for that but I supposed if you only drink premium craft beers they're about 2 bucks more so thats only 6 pints and theres no way to have any fun drinking 6 pints of beer.

I usually hang with my bros in the lobby of the theatre or at the mall food court, because I am still 14 years old.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Frosted Flake posted:

My neighborhood was built in 1990, and has always had those brown community boxes. It makes sense in the car-oriented suburbs of the GTA. The new subdivisions in Newmarket, Barrie and Vaughn would be really impractical for door to door delivery.

e: Speaking of Canadian retail, I feel like Best Buy killed Future Shop deliberately after acquiring the company.

I wish I could find more photos, but they put their stores side-by-side in the new plazas in the GTA. I think Best Buy even ran ads against Futureshop about how their employees didn't have commission.

I wish I could find more photos of the interior of a Chapters (Bookstore) but the floorspace devoted to books has been steadily shrinking.

Many of the stores in nice areas of Ottawa and Toronto have Starbucks, some kind of electronics store for e-readers, and large areas for home decor with the books waay in the back.

Best Buy owned Future Shop for a while and did a good job milking idiot Canadians who thought they were competing chains. I heard lots of people tell me stories like "well gently caress Best Buy, I'm going to Future Shop to buy a 2000 TV that will show them!" and vice-versa.

It made sense to kill off one of the brands and close some stores to me.. Long run, does Best Buy have a future? I thought the joke was that Best Buy is basically a showroom for amazon. It's kind of an oversized combo of EB Games and Radio Shack since the only thing thats useful to buy there is batteries and video games.

My fave Canadian retail brilliance was Target buying up Zellers, rebranding them all to Targets, opening them for maybe a half an hour before deciding there was no way to profit in Canada and shutting them all down. The Target here was *maybe* open a month.

Retail in Canada is hosed, because we've been overpaying for everything forever and now with the internet, we don't have to nearly as much. If your Canadian and don't have a US dollar visa account and a PO box or forwarding service on the other side of the border you are throwing away 10s of thousands.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Chipoltle is marketed to "health conscious" demographic though, isn't it? I'd expect it to hurt them more.

Drunk dudes wanting a burg and Jack in the Box probably care less.

Nobody's surprised if you get diarreah at Taco Bell, you know what I mean?

Also Chipoltle seems to me at least to be in a huge grab bag of totally replaceable franchises. They don't have the brand recognition of like McD or whatnot, and I doubt anybody would notice if they were all replaced by Panera Breads or some other poo poo.

I might just be too goony to eat Chipoltle

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I don't know if any cashier ever asked me for my phone number recently, since the crackdown on telemarketers nobody wants to get burned maybe?

I'm sure John Smith at 123 Main St, Anytown USA gets a lot of junk mail though.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

my girlfriend has windows 10 on her laptop. it's like they took all the things people complained about in windows 8, and exaggerated them.

thing is, though, it would take like a solid generation of absolute poo poo for microsoft's seat in the software oligopoly to diminish even a little.

What are you talking about? The thing people complained about in Windows 8 was the full screen start menu bullshit, which is fixed.

Beyond that it's the same typical "I hate microsoft they are in bed with big gov and the jews" bullshit that comes with any Microsoft product.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Tricky D posted:

So Windows 10 is good?

It's 10/10 bretty good

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Right click on the task bar to open the options menu, see the "Search" menu?

It has three options. Those options are "Hidden", "Show search icon", and "Show search box"

I don't know what they do though, I was so outraged by Microsoft's default color scheme that I installed Ubunto Linux just as fast as I could and have been recommending it to everyone I meet.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Botnit posted:

Japanese people still use yahoo for news and searching, I know this because I dated a Jappo and every time I used her laptop it would open to yahoo and when I asked her why she said so

It's possible she was lying to me and purposely set her homepage to yahoo just to trick an American into thinking Japanese people were idiot rednecks of the internet but I don't think she was capable of such deceit but then again she is Asian so it's highly possible she was but I just didn't notice the signs

Did she just happen to go to school in 1997ish where the internet was new to non-geeks, and was taught to use yahoo in her computer orientation class, and was never retrained? I know a few people like that.

Also, Yahoo is fairly big with the fantasy sports crowd, isn't it?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
It's not just 5 guys but there's a whole slew of "gourmet" fast food hamburger "bistros" popping up around that are all going to go down the shitter.

Burgers are forever but "fancy burgers" that aren't fancy is a dopey millennial "foodie" trend.

""

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Business Gorillas posted:

this is why fast food places are in serious trouble, btw. the only thing keeping them in business was being cheap and now they have to raise prices

i went to taco bell like 2 months ago wanting some trash food and i got 2 chalupas which, with a drink, ended up costing more than chipotle

edit:

sorry if people like burgers made with actual meat instead of whatever mystery product mcdonalds makes their cheeseburgers from?

like i'm sorry if burgers made with things like vegetables and actual meat are too "gourmet" and "fancy" for you

It's the same ingredients and at least here in Canada, it's the same meat by law. The only thing fancy is the price. A lot of the blind McDonalds hate I think is just ole fashioned classism and depending who you're talking to, racism.

I don't think the market can support a few hundred 5 guys clones, and it's probably true since they only seem to stay open 3 to 6 months before being replace by a Burrito store (fancy Burritos is the new trend).

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Neither AMD nor Intel are "circling the drain" and this nerd chat is going to chase all the hot ladies right out of the thread if you aren't careful.

Let's talk about fitness clubs, last I heard Gold's Gym is in trouble because the old world muscle man type of gym has no place in our modern society full of shameful fat chicks doing yoga at curves.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FishionMailed posted:

chipotle is not a healthy meal you retards jfc

it's fine if you like eating it but don't lie to yourself

Chipoltle would be a healthy lunch at maybe 1/3rd of the portion size or less, a lot like every other fast food restaurant, "health oriented" or not.

People really don't "get" the concept of moderation, it always blows my mind.

Also lol at goons ITT that apparently don't know that sugar occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables. :wtc:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Chrome books are $150 and with a VDI setup you can run any application Linux or Windows from anywhere in the world. More secure too since if the chrome book gets lost or stolen all the data is stored on a central server that hosts all the desktop environments.

You seem to have fallen for the line that high speed low latency broadband access exists everywhere in the world.

The thin client model has been repackaged for sale to the public over and over and nobody ever really falls for it.

My experience is that working remotely sucks dog balls 90% of the time, that will probably continue for the time being.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

You can host a VDI server in your office so even if local internet is dogshit *cough*Mexico*cough* people in the office can work fine. Price of 5 nice desktops is the same price as a VDI setup which can serve those 5 power users plus all the admin staff.

You're a VMWare consultant in Mexico? Thanks for your time and I'll be sure to read your literature when I get a moment.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
iPhones are literally circling the drain nationwide because girls keep them in their back pockets and probably 1 in 3 ends up in the toilet.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I always look up gas stations on yelp because I only want to go to places with good gas

When I had a car I cared about, I would try to only fill up at "new" looking gas stations, because I didn't want to pump sludge from some underground tank that has been there since the 50s into my car.

The people who look up gas stations on Yelp are probably looking for "vintage", and I'm fine with them pumping rust and leached in rainwater and whatever poo poo into their tanks.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

BigBoss posted:

He actually came across really well spoken for being a kid. He also shredded the management running the company. To be fair, any idiot on the street can tell you Playboy without tits is like trying to play in the NFL without a helmet. It's an obvious dumb plan even children would laugh at.

EDIT: I bet being around all that poo poo has made him super normal. Rebelling against his parents means really boring vanilla relationships and poo poo.

Nah, they are going to spin it into an "empowering" brand for women, and I'd think licensing the logo is ultimately more lucrative than printing pictures of boobs onto expensive glossy paper and then stapling the papers together and mailing them to people.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

That's like Trojan deciding their logo is ultimately more lucrative than condoms and decide to open up fertility clinics instead

Any time you see a playboy bunny logo or a tinkerbell decal on a car, you can be guaranteed there is an obnoxious fat "IM SEXXXY I DONT CARE WAT U TINK" white trash neck tattoo girl driving it.

I haven't mentally associated that logo with sexy in a long time. I associate it with a doddering 90 year old man and fat white trash.

Fat sassy girls make up a WAY bigger market than guys wanting to jack off to paper magazines.

I'm no market analyst, but I think Cooper there realizes he will never live his dads life, and will have to fight for tail like the rest of us, and it breaks his heart.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

That's like Trojan deciding their logo is ultimately more lucrative than condoms and decide to open up fertility clinics instead

Any time you see a playboy bunny logo or a tinkerbell decal on a car, you can be guaranteed there is an obnoxious fat "IM SEXXXY I DONT CARE WAT U TINK" white trash neck tattoo girl driving it.

I haven't mentally associated that logo with sexy in a long time. I associate it with a doddering 90 year old man and fat white trash.

Fat sassy girls make up a WAY bigger market than guys wanting to jack off to paper magazines.

I'm no market analyst, but I think Cooper there realizes he will never live his dads life, and will have to fight for tail like the rest of us, and it breaks his heart.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

XYZ posted:

There's this thing called Favor that pissed off a couple of local Toronto restaurants by offering their menus without permission. They deliver poo poo like McDonald's too :lol: And there's also Hurrier, which recently rebranded as foodora for some reason.:laffo: Considering Just Eat just absorbed OrderIt I imagine most of these delivery services are not long for this world.

I've been calling restaurants to place orders and having taxi drivers pick up the food for me. If you are a cool dude you could get beer and cigarettes. Heck a local pizza shop used to deliver me beer at 3AM here in good ole Ontario as long as everybody was cool about it.

The internet ruins everything.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Darth123123 posted:

Do you have to show your moms Id?

We show your moms IUD.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

JnnyThndrs posted:

I've been saying the same thing for years - when I was a trainee heavy-truck driver, the dude who was teaching me had Sirius and although there were a lot of channels, the mix of songs was pretty terrible, with no deep cuts off of popular albums and few obscure bands/songs. After a month, I'd heard everything on the channel about ten times and wanted to kill myself.

I took about 5 hours, filled a 64gig thumbdrive with 320/256kb mp3's and stuck it in my radio on random. Been listening to it for about 18months now and still haven't heard anything enough to tire of it. Even if someone doesn't have a USB-capable car stereo, you can buy one for like $60 nowadays, or use your phone + a cassette/FM transceiver.

To be fair legally purchasing all of those mp3s would be out of most people's price range. It would be immoral to listen to music without giving the artist royalties every single time.

FM transcievers aren't worth using.

Also sirius has talk channels and comedy and stuff like howard stern that people like to listen to.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Entropic posted:

I grew up listening to CBC Radio One so I find commercial radio completely baffling and obnoxious.

I grew up listening to Q107 and feel the exact same way.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
You buy a Harley so you can park it outside of the bar with the other Harley's and then go inside and talk to all the other middle aged white men about Harley's and Harley life.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Happy Bear Suit posted:

speaking of games, is Zynga still alive?

Ya online gambling is still pretty big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

PassTheRemote posted:

I had that as well. There used to be a Funcoland, a Babbage's in the mall, and a gamestop in a shopping center nearby. Then there was 3 gamestops within a 1 mile radus. I miss my Funcoland and Bbabbage's.

Gamestop/ebgames bought funcoland/babbages didn't they?