Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I have almost never had an issue with self checkout. It's even best at Sam's Club where you get your own scan gun and can find the barcode on each package and zap it.

Sam's Club also has the best in bulk prices for Ice Mountain water which is objectively the best bottled water so they are good in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I can't move from Wells Fargo even if I wanted to because my University only does banking and direct deposit pay through WF, and I work on campus.

Also my parents and siblings all have WF accounts and we use them to transfer amounts to eachother all the time if we need to. It would be a huge hassle unfortunately, because WF loving sucks for what they did.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

bongwizzard posted:

I've had to do that for many years, but during that time I was still not dumb enough to keep my money in the checking account, if you only got a couple hundred dollars to your name, keep that poo poo under the mattress. I mean I always had a checking account, but when the money dips below the panic level you got a pull that poo poo out and sleep on it like a dragon.

your checking account is insured up to $250,000 by the FDIC should a bank fail or defraud you. You have 0 risk when having a checking account with money in it.

How Rude has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Mar 23, 2017

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

bongwizzard posted:

Dude come on did you even read the rest of the slap fight we're having? The poo poo the banks were doing was hidden under the guise of the fees one agrees to when one opens a checking account. Someone with $350 to their name isn't terribly likely to be able to pursue a claim with the FDIC in a real timely manner.

this problem was specific to Wells Fargo because of its toxic management practices and business environment for its low level employees and is not indicative of banks and financial institutions as a whole

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Every major bank does terrible things and has for decades. None of them are good; they're varying degrees of bad.

Wells Fargo is pretty awful but they aren't even the worst.

I'm saying not every checking account is going to get every single bank to open more and give you fees without your permission. There are major banks that do bad poo poo but it's not like a major fraud crisis every single day like what happened with WF.

Basically what I am saying is bank with your credit unions and local banks.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Burt Sexual posted:

Steak 'n Shake is greased lard. Like Culver's.

Culver's is amazing, their chicken strips are unparalleled

also their cheese curds are incredible. and custard is so smooth and creamy

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm on a diet and now I'm craving this good tasting unhealthy garbage

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

JB50 posted:

Theres a place by me called pizza ranch that does a pretty good pizza buffet. The pizza is OK, but they have some killer fried chicken and a pretty decent salad bar. Its one of the places I can get my kids to agree to, so we go there once a week or so. They will even make the pizza you want fresh when you come in and bring it to your table.

Apparently they are Christian oriented, but you cant tell when you go there, at least I cant.

This is on their website:

Pizza Ranch is really delicious, their soft serve ice cream is also some of the creamiest stuff I have ever had

I never tire of their BBQ fried chicken, because I am a fat goon. they are mostly Midwestern I think (out of Iowa) so you tend to see them all over Minnesota

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Applebees isn't really that bad and they exist to provide a place to get half price appetizers after 11 when my group of friends are done with whatever that night

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Krispy Kareem posted:

Part of the perfect storm that was 2007 was caused by rating agencies giving AAA's to anything with a pulse. A lot of institutional investors have rules against investing in anything below an A rating, but because of grade inflation they had way too much money tied up in really bad bets. That probably won't happen again for awhile. The incredible destruction of wealth that happened in the last recession isn't normal. You usually don't see retirement and pension plans hit that hard.

Part of the problem was also the Federal government pressuring their lending institutions to give out AAA housing loans to so many people that could never afford the houses for which they were borrowing. When all those rampant foreclosures happened a lot of people ended up homeless and the banks involved were stuck with a bunch of expensive houses that no one could afford and so had no way to regain all the money that was spent. It was a perfect shitstorm of incompetence and greed.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Sorta makes me glad my parents were behind a generation of purchasing videogames as gifts for my older siblings because I got more than just two overpriced cartridges. When stores were liquidating their old consoles when the new ones hit, the games were dirt cheap. 20 bucks for a new N64 game when the Gamecube came out. Funcoland had gobs of cheap used SNES and Genesis games, and I was spoiled enough by being able to play both SNES and Genesis games.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ladron posted:

I've been wondering how much longer they were going to do a parade for the past 20 so years. I thought it was just a thing for olds for whom moving objects in the sky were still kinda cool. Why are you watching it?

:goonsay:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The problem with fast food is that people are realizing that the food isn't much cheaper than an actual restaurant or fast dining experience at a local place. The only chain I have found to not taste like microwaved garbage (because it isn't microwaved garbage) is Culver's but you'll only get that in the Midwest.

Either that or you get MSG laden chinese takeout because it tastes that good.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Our local Chinese buffet is owned by the nicest family and they keep their restaurant clean and the food is usually kept fresh/hot. Some of their items are also handmade (I know for sure they make the wontons by hand because we have seen them wrapping wontons in the restaurant)

Place owns and is a real treat when friends/family are really jonesing for good Chinese

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Sears is an example of the opposite of running retail correctly

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

BigDave posted:

All we have in Minneapolis are Holiday stations and independent BPs.

I keep forgetting that Minnesota is this weird bizzaro brand world, where we have the same stuff as everyone else, but different.

Good lord you should come visit Mankato sometime. We have I think 14 Kwik Trips now, and I noticed a creep of them into the TC area

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Speaking of denim, where can you get good denim these days? I got a bunch of Levi jeans as I got into high school and stopped growing and they all lasted until I hit 27 or so. All the new stuff seems to only last 2-3 years of use. Not even hard use, just occasional construction/demolition and warehouse work.

Speak as a white collar fat guy, I really like US Polo Assn. for their carpenter jeans. They are super comfy and it took four years of consistent wear for them to start showing age

Unfortunately with the death of Sears and Bonton stores I have nowhere in town to find these besides online.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

JB50 posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › Chik-fil-A Hot Takes

Lmao you are still dying on this hill.

The Sears news has been anticipated for a while, burn that bastard CEO to the ground

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Trabant posted:

A few years back my megacorp offered a very generous voluntary severance package to nearly everyone in the company. I can't speak for everyone else but it was nearly half of my salary in a good job market so... twist my arm, guess I'll gtfo. I remember thinking at the time that they'll screw themselves over if it turns out to be a popular option. So much internal knowledge and experience could be gone in a flash.

Aaaand it turns out it was mostly the high performers who took the money and ran. I later heard from HR-related sources that their conclusion was "Well, we're never doing that again."

It astonishes me how few corporations follow best practices. They all do literally the opposite of what my capstone corporate management class taught me (I'm an Accountant).

Legit baseline adequacy requires you respect your workers as human beings. Building resentment on your workforce is going to skyrocket turnover, and turnover is EXPENSIVE.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

vyst posted:

I can't take a sport seriously if they let you dress up like a furry to compete in it

Counterpoint: said furry is also a queer black guy and it makes all the lovely straight white guys in the terrible fighting game community froth at the mouth when he wins. He rules.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Weaponized Autism posted:

Nah it has to be Perkins.

Wtf. Perkins is ambrosia compared to dogshit like applebee's. Like, they can't gently caress up pancakes

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Isn't waffle house a southern chain or something? Or east coast. I've never seen one before (I live in MN)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know man, every time I've eaten at IHOP I get the shits.

I imagine that is why it is at the bottom of the list.

gently caress IHOP.