Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Un-l337-Pork posted:

They announced that they don't really have any way of making money

like... most other overvalued tech firms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mein Eyes! posted:

still going strong

when you hit 1 employee/workshop total (not per shift), you can't exactly downsize further

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I've never been anywhere near any Californian tech company but i thought "urban chic" was the aesthetic du jour. Kinda like:

:barf:

this is kinda tolerable if you actually work in an old building and you see it's an old building that people do actual work in because refurbishing everything every six months would be overkill
when it's obvious hipster chic where millenials pretend sitting in a squeaky clean not-cubicle with raw steel and concrete around them makes them better than people sitting in a normal cubicle it's just cringeworthy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also i'd totally put a real mounted deer skull on that wall instead of a fake one

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2016 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2017 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2018 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2019 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2020 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2021 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2022 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2023 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2024 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2025 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2026 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2027 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2028 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2029 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2030 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2031 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2032 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2033 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2034 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2035 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2036 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2037 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2038 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2039 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2040 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2041 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

The French Army! posted:

Didn't you hear? 2042 is going to be the year of desktop Linux lol.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Xaris posted:

groupon turned down a $6 bill+ buyout from google, because WE'RE WORTH MORE THAN THAT

groupon lol

this should be case study for mass delusions

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

vyst posted:

Aero was dumb.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

lol

perhaps you have never heard of the concept of market saturation that has started to apply to computers since they aren't obsolete after 2 years anymore, and you probably like to extrapolate exponential growth into the far future

you're well suited to become the new ceo of a company that is doing moderately well. you'll have no problems turning it around and quickly bringing it to the point of circling the drain.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

uh, I don't know if you've heard, but Chipotle recently announced they will be making sure all of their ingredients are GMO-free. Is McDonald's GMO-free?

lol

GMO free isn't actually healthier, unless you are literally insane and will collapse from a panic attack upon seeing gmos in ingredients lists

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

People keep saying amd is dying but I'm not so sure, if you do any googling on building a budget gaming tower literally everyone will recommend you go for the amd 6300 + the gtx 950 right now, together they're about 250 and pass better benchmarks than current gen gaming consoles. I think intel firmly has higher end processors in their pocket but if you're the kind of person who builds a cheapish pc every half a dozen years to keep up with modern games amd is always going to be best bang for your buck in the 100 dollar range processors.

if you build a cheapish PC every five years or so, buy a cheap haswell i3 and a gtx 950 for higher gaming performance and lower electricity bills

unless you for some reason want to do video editing on a crap tier pc there's no use case for an amd desktop processor

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

I've bought AMD for my personal computers for 20 years. I remember being so stoked about the Athlon and then about x64. I even had some of the official, metal AMD Inside! stickers. They were on fire!
What went wrong? Bulldozer? Buying ATI?

Like Intel a few years earlier, AMD made a bad CPU design decision and took too long to get a mediocre product out the door, and is now slowly playing catch-up. Unlike Intel, AMD can't just drown problems in literal mountains of cash.

yogizh posted:

AMD will rise from the ashes with their 32-core processors that will be used in consoles, because SONY is too loving greedy to use serious hardware.
If they submit to closed source and console peasantry they have a chance of surviving.

Hey now, at least game developers might be forced to finally let applications scale over multiple cores properly :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

etalian posted:

This is true, AdBlock went to hell since Google was pretty upset about the whole concept since half of Google's revenue comes from the ad words.

So Adblock took a offer they couldn't refuse from Google to whitelist stuff like the adwords

Does ublock origin manage to block youtube video ads like AdBlock Plus? That's one of the most important things to block for me.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Good, installing it now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Has AMD put out anything decent since they stopped making the Athlon chips? I used one of their X3 chips for a while before putting money down on an i5.
X3 was pretty crap.

The current thing (zen iirc?) would have been good two years ago. See: playing catch-up after spending too much time on a failed product (bulldozer/piledriver/...).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

is ccleaner just bloated as poo poo now and keeping with the theme of the things we are discussing in this thread? What's the alternative?

It is still mostly usable.

Business Gorillas posted:

I've never understood people that do this. Sitting on your $700 machine is cool and good - a retard
#bendgate more like #you'refatgate

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

1) it's obviously microtorrent :c00lbutt:
2) mse/win defender plus noscript

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I liked being able to get takeout from smaller niche restaurants, but now that they're all spread around 4+ services it's not that convenient. It's crazy.

Wait, do small and mid-sized restaurants not have their own delivery driver where you live? In Germany, you just go to pizza.de (a site that lets restaurants put up an interactive menu) and order takeout from basically any restaurant within a 5km radius.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

XYZ posted:

foodora

m'alnutrition

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I listened to a CBC "As It Happens" interview with host Carol Off and the Turkish ambassador. This was back when they were killing protesters over that park or whatever a few years ago, and Carol Off called the ambassador a liar and hung up on him, saying there was no point in continuing the interview if he was just going to respond with government lies/ propaganda to everything she asked.

CBC Radio is awesome, I cannot imagine any other news source doing that.

This owns.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BigBoss posted:

I'm not surprised. How could they match the R&D and production scale of the larger Japanese concerns once things went digital? You can't just make CCDs in house the same way you grind lenses or stamp bodies. I would assume Leica sources good components, but I am not shocked they have to buy the camera guts from someone else.

For cameras, Leica essentially hand-manufactures the camera casing and optics, so you end up with above-average grade everything around a sensor of hit or miss quality. Another problem is that Leica is targeting an extremely niche market. The whole point of using a rangefinder is that it's a small inconspicuous camera you can carry around everywhere for e.g. street photography without being mugged at knifepoint in slums all the time. The completely insane cost of Leica Ms completely defeats the point of using a Leica for street journalism etc. when you could buy a literal bag of Fuji X-Pro 2s with a digitally enhanced rangefinder viewfinder, autofocus, and generally more modern guts in a slightly less tank-like case for the same price and just wreck one every year. The remaining market for Leica is therefore rich hipsters.

All the good parts of Leica are still present in the microscope division, because a market for expensive high performance microscopes still exists.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mitsubishi more like mitshubishit

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Otisburg posted:

this will be what starts the revolution, not some yokels taking over a bird watching stand. there will be blood in the streets

probably true

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

red19fire posted:

Also hipsters who think they need $300 worth of equipment to walk 4 miles in the woods.

$300? Pfffft. That's what each piece of gear alone costs.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

naem posted:

Don't forget that they come out with a new version of everything every year and you need to buy the entire 7 piece kit, so that you match all the other people who also bought it all, so that you can look down on anyone with last year's cram-jacket© or three year old TurboScrums™® on their FnorkPakk©®

The North Face (of a 200m high hill with a 10° slope at its steepest point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I think it's as simple as some rear end in a top hat shareholder going:

"Wait. We pay $12.50 Minimum? The federal minimum is only $7.25! We have 135,000 American employees, so we would save $708,750 per working hour by slashing their wages to the minimum allowed by law. People will work it, people are lining up to work at mcdonalds and wal mart!

Once we cut benefits and fire all the entrenched employees making $14-$18 think of the hundreds of millions we will save"

Lowe's hired me for $9.55, the 2008 financial crisis happened and our store immediately went to federal minimum and I was in a long line of people that were at $9-$12 that were marched out the door and replaced with whoever would work for $7.25. Not sure if it was company wide but my store had almost 100% turnover, suspiciously of all the employees that hired in and helped assemble the store that were making decent wages.

When I started at Wal-Mart you would have the odd cashier hired in the 90s or early 2000s making $12-$15 an hour and anyone from 2010 on was making $7.25. I had three years shipping & receiving and I got a .10 for each year, so I was hired at $7.55 for the hardest job I had ever done.

This makes perfect sense to anyone who doesn't think about it for more than three seconds. Rational well-informed actors :thumbsup: