Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Police Automaton posted:

microsoft - their whole business strategy seems to consist of "coming late to the party" "losing momentum" and "alienating long-time partners"

but actually a lot of offices like the new Office subscription scheme and Apple is copying Microsoft's surface tablet features? and like 70%+ of PCs and laptops run Windows?

they're doing alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Windows 98 posted:

I ended up quitting after they reduced my hours to 3 hours a week every week until I quit (so they had no unemployment payment issues)

fwiw having your hours cut like that qualifies you for unemployment anyway

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Arch Coal is the second largest supplier of coal in the US. Peabody Energy is the largest private sector coal company in the world.

A year ago today Arch Coal was worth $117 a share. Today they are filing for bankruptcy and the share price has slowly declined all year to its current price of $0.70 each.

A year ago today Peabody Energy was worth $109.20 a share, and now it is at $4.56. Again, this isn't just because of the overall market meltdown, the price has been declining all year. Revenues + profits are down.

Maybe there's profit to be made in coal still but the coal companies today are fuckkkkkked.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

RubberJohnny posted:

They're unpopular with consumers and their only success is with business

okay but counterpoint: that's been true since the early 90s

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah I mean MS is a huge company pulling in billions across a wide spectrum of products, and Blackberry made blackberries and didn't innovate when the iPhone came out. Not really a fair comparison.

It's almost like comparing Sony to GoPro or something because hey both are tech companies and both make cameras.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Irradiation posted:

This is almost certainly including phones which is really loving dumb.

Yeah their PC + laptop OS share is definitely more than 70-75% so that chart must be counting phones.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Melmac posted:

Anyone upset that Quiznos barely exists any more, just know that their franchising scheme was so predatory, hosed up, and designed so the owners made no money to the point that a guy killed himself and wrote a two page essay about how evil Quiznos corporate is.

When I was in HS there was this cute girl who kept talking about how her dad owned 13 Quizno's, bragging about it and poo poo.

Good.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

BigBoss posted:

frankly it's pretty hard to gently caress up a McDonald's from what I understand.

You should google this because it's kinda long to get into but the short answer is McD's franchise owners are mad as hell.

Like I think you're right the actual operation of the McD's is hard to mess up but due to McD's policies and menu changes they're making less and less money. Then again their share price is doing okay so idk.

EvilJoven posted:

Hey has anyone mentioned the fact that after saying that Rockband 4 controller sales were going to make or break the company and that line performing dismally all MadCatz stock has been frozen for 24 hours as of last night and a big announcement is coming today?

Someone might be going to jail.

Those fuckers ruined Saitek.

lol if you didn't sell immediately as soon as the price started dipping like the second day after RB4's release. people gotta learn to be happy with their gains instead of expecting everything to be a lottery ticket.

MadCatz controllers have always been the ones to avoid at the Gamestop so idk what the gently caress people were thinking there other than a quick profit off RB4's release tbh.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Feb 9, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I want to say that MadCatz stepped up their game in recent years but boy were their N64 peripherals total loving crap. Even beyond that weird rule Nintendo had where a 3rd-party controller couldn't use the same design as the original, theirs was still a loving abomination of cheaply-made plastic and hard edges. Same with Nyko.

What a failed opportunity considering how much everyone actually disliked the N64 controller design. Coulda shown Nintendo up and made themselves the new standard or some poo poo - 'oh lemme get the MadCatz controller!' instead of 'ugh loser has to play with the MadCatz controller.'

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah I gladly pay a little more for 21 and up only, alcohol, nice rear end seats, and assigned seating. My friends all saw the new Star Wars in a regular style theater and showed up 5 hours beforehand to make sure they got good seats. loving scrubs. it's only like $4-5 more anyway.

Seeing a movie in a theater isn't cheap nowadays no matter how you slice it so might as well make it more of an event. I also rarely go to theaters anyway so take that as you will.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I mean honestly $20 for the ticket, $20 for drinks. $40.

I'd expect to pay more than that on a typical night out anyway :shrug:

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
well tbh that's your own fault for seeing Avengers 2 in theaters - what did you expect? A good movie?

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Yeah but on a typical night out do you just sit in a chair for an hour and a half? A 40 dollar bar tab is a fun night, or that might be like 20 games of bowling or rounds of minigolf or could buy hundreds of hours of entertainment on Steam or 4 months worth of netflix.

There has never been a film worth paying 40 dollars to view. Not in a world where everyone has cheap big screens and surround sound systems at home. Just my opinion though. I guess some people still really enjoy the "theatre going experience"

A typical movie nowadays is really more like 2hrs at least - some are way longer than that even. Besides in that $40 I'm including chilling in the lobby/bar area drinking a bit with a couple friends before getting to my seat. Plus there's the pre-gaming before hand (smoking or drinking). All in all it would kill at least 4 hours if not more.

It all depends though. I mean yeah you could go bowl a bunch. You could go to a bar instead. As I said I typically go to the movies maybe once or twice a year now because you're right it isn't worth it most of the time but it's still a fun event once in a while. I can't go to the theater every weekend just like I don't want to bowl every weekend or spend every weekend playing Steam games. Variety is the spice of life.

Plus I live in a more expensive area in general so you say $40 bar tab is a fun night, I say that's about 5 beers.

Business Gorillas posted:

For that kind of money I'd have a lot more fun bar-hopping as opposed to having strip club priced bud lights while watching zoolander 2

Right well my point is don't go see Zoolander 2 and then complain that the movie wasn't worth the ticket price because no poo poo. The beer is a good selection usually, at least a couple on tap. Or a nice cocktail or two.

No one is forcing you to get the overpriced poo poo tier beer and then see the shittiest movie possible.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
And again you're not doing much bar hopping with $40 around here unless you only drink lovely things like Coors lite exclusively.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Canada is pretty drat pricey for alcohol but I can get 8 pints of Canadian or whatever for that but I supposed if you only drink premium craft beers they're about 2 bucks more so thats only 6 pints and theres no way to have any fun drinking 6 pints of beer.

I usually hang with my bros in the lobby of the theatre or at the mall food court, because I am still 14 years old.

K well it's like $8 a pint here easy most of the time so again it depends where you are like I said.

And yeah 'hanging out in the lobby of the theater' like I'm 13 again playing the Area-51 game. Definitely not sitting at a bar with other adults having a cocktail before the movie starts.

Get over it duders some people like to go to the movies once in a while. I bet you'll freak out but I also like to go see live theater and operas and the ticket prices on those are even higher.

I mean yeah I could only bar hop and bowl and play video games but that gets boring if that's all you do, you know? It's only $40 anyway jfc (assuming you even get drinks there and don't just bring a flask in or something).

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

paco650 posted:

Did you just order a seven dollar beer?
mmhmm
That's a beer - that's hops and yeast ?
last I heard
That's seven dollars? You don't put bourbon in it or nothing?

yeah welcome to bars on the west coast

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Last night I got on my gf's Windows 10 PC and hit the Start button and said 'hey where's the search box?' and she said 'idk there isn't one you gotta just open File Explorer and search from there.'

That alone makes Windows 10 retarded as gently caress. And even if there is a search box somewhere and my gf just missed it, then it's stupid that they made it so obfuscated (which is their favorite pastime wrt the control panel settings so maybe that's intentional).

Business Gorillas posted:

edit: this is also why the whole ":qq: IF WE RAISE WAGES WE WON'T HAVE ANY JOBS :qq:" shtick is bullshit because lmao if you think labor isn't cut to the absolute bone already

ayup. idiot people think companies just have 'extra' labor costs they can cut. poo poo's already cut as much as possible; domino's doesn't have an extra employee on Thursday nights for shits and giggles.

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah but that's the point. If it's a tactic that's been super common and obviously beneficial only to senior executives and guaranteed to ruin the stockholder's return, why the gently caress do boards keep appointing these scumbags to run companies.

because the boards are usually made up of shareholders who like the short term profits, too. pump the company's figures until the share price is ballooned, sell, watch as it collapses, acquire shares, fire the CEO, repeat until it finally collapses.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Feb 15, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

groupon is a predatory business and I'm glad it's failing

I worked at Domino's and some restaurants so I can at least give you a service industry perspective on this. GroupOn negotiates the deals with the businesses and basically pressures businesses (usually chains like Domino's) to go in on GroupOn deals for the benefit of advertising and driving sales. Usually the coupon itself results in either very low profits or a loss. So like for example, they'd go to Domino's and say 'let's do a GroupOn where you offer large pizzas for $5' or whatever, and Domino's goes 'ah idk that sounds like we'd take a fairly large loss' and GroupOn goes 'no see you'll get great advertising out of it and drive sales and attract new customers.'

Well as it turns out, the GroupOn results in a huge loss, the advertising/sales gains are marginal or nonexistent, and it leaves a hella sour taste in the business' mouth. I know that the Domino's company I was at (they franchise, this company owned all the San Diego locations) said 'nah we're not doing that poo poo anymore.' Specific to Domino's, the people that were getting food because of the GroupOn deal weren't coming back to pay full retail price and the people that already get pizza on a regular basis didn't order any more frequently (they just enjoyed the large discount on food once in a while).

I can easily picture them pressuring some smaller business to provide a GroupOn deal in exchange for advertising and increased sales that never materialize. I can also see said smaller businesses (who don't have the benefit of a national advertising campaign like Domino's does) getting a decent chunk of customers only interested in paying GroupOn pricing at which point they go 'do we just keep making poo poo all money or do we cut out GroupOn and maybe lose what business it did bring in?'

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I thikn you just hit the windows key and start typing. Perhaps a bit too slick but the search function itself is pretty good

No I did that and nothing happened which is when I asked 'hey where's the search box?' Dunno. It wasn't Windows 8 because I remember her taking the free upgrade from 8 to 10. Maybe there was just a setting messed up somehow.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 15, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
^^^ probably

Universe Master posted:

Maybe she has it locked somehow. I'm typing/searching straight from the start button right now.

Hm maybe. Idk otherwise her desktop with 10 seems to be easier to use than 8.

Although it did push a 'Recommended: Facebook app!' ad at me as I was in the windows button looking for the search box and that kinda annoyed me, too.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Feb 15, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
GroupOns integration with out system was also awful yeah. Just a massive pain in the rear end.

I also didn't know they apparently want direct compensation from the business itself in addition to convincing them to run a promotion at just completely unprofitable prices lmao

50/50 split but they won't split the CC fees on every transaction I'm sure

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I played Halo for the first time as like a 12-13 year old and it was GREAT. Too many sequels later and I don't give a poo poo but I do like to name my phone 'Cortana' as an affectation.

Stupid loving MS now I can't do that because it's nowhere near as 'personal' (yeah I know it wasn't very much so to begin with but still).

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

more like this please, jiggly and large but yet still firm and fit

just fat isn't attractive

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

lmao

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
chipotle is not a healthy meal you retards jfc

it's fine if you like eating it but don't lie to yourself

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Chipoltle would be a healthy lunch at maybe 1/3rd of the portion size or less, a lot like every other fast food restaurant, "health oriented" or not.

People really don't "get" the concept of moderation, it always blows my mind.

Also lol at goons ITT that apparently don't know that sugar occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables. :wtc:

Yeah I mean it's not so much the ingredients as it is the fact that the burrito is the size of your stomach.

And yeah lol goons are dumb about very basic things.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I basically do the same thing. I can't even eat one of those things unless I really try to.

Even still the amount of people going into Chipotle thinking it is health food is amazing. It's a burrito.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah that's fair.

Those ultimate cheeseburgers are 819 calories by themselves.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
look a chipotle burrito constructed a certain way might be an okay option but the amount of fatties waddling in there while I'm across the street at the oil change place is pretty telling

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

They also charge money to remove negative ratings

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I knew a chef at a small restaurant and she said it would cost her boss $800/month to have 5 star reviews show first

wow I didn't know that; that's scuzzy as gently caress

also kinda defeats the point of the app a bit

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
i just use qbittorrent now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

The point of the app is to make app money. So no, that's exactly what the app is for.

from a user's point of view obviously

if I'm trying to figure out where to eat in a new town but now I know that a) they strongarm businesses into paying outrageous amounts of money and b) allow people to pay to have reviews removed or hidden (don't they explicitly say they don't do this??) then I'm not going to use the app I'm just going to use the Google reviews or whatever instead.