Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
They're also the only local seller of Gundam Model kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Shrapnig posted:

It actually worked out really well for Burlington (Don’t call us Coat Factory) Stores that people were talking about a few pages ago. I was working for them after they were acquired by Bain and had a chance to get in on the IPO and didn’t. They were offering shares at $17, it’s currently trading at $163. I was a manager on the distribution side and it was a horrible company to work for but I kind of wish I had bought into some shares looking back.

I’m much happier not having that stock and no longer working for them though.

There's a Burlington near me in an empty field, near a closed TRU and Burger King, surrounded by Hotels. It used to be part of an outlet mall (Great Mall of the Great Plains), but the mall closed because the owner stopped paying taxes. Burlington bought/rented the land it specifically was on, so when the mall closed, the city demolished it, except for the Burlington, which is still open.

It's such a glorious shrine to lovely business practices.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The old Decipher cards? I think they have a cult following online and might actually be worth something

Isn't Decipher another one of these company circling the drain stories. There was a huge LotR CCG following out here, and then Decipher just kinda poofed one day.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I know at least .hack and Beyblade. Probably a bunch of other anime properties as well. Looks like they do How to Host a Murder now.

Looked them up on Wiki, seems like poo poo went down:

quote:

In March 2009, it was reported that Holland's (the founder) brother-in-law Rick Eddleman had pleaded guilty to embezzling over $1.5 million (USD) from Decipher, Inc. since the year 2000. Eddleman had been VP Finances for Decipher since 1993 and used his position to write checks to himself and to use company credit cards for personal purposes. The losses contributed to the company's decision to lay off more than 90 employees.

Eddleman faced a maximum sentence of 12 years in prison for 12 counts of embezzlement and a settlement of a civil lawsuit against him by Decipher for $8.9 million. On July 27, 2009, he was sentenced to six years and five months in prison.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
All the Targets in Kansas near me have both a Starbucks and a Pizza hut/cafe thing. The pizzas are just personal pans and if you like Pizza Hut, you'll like it (which I do). The Tuscan chicken alfredo pasta is gross though, they usually burn the pasta and the alfredo and chicken pits are just bland and clearly bottom shelf.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Fun story about Little Ceasar's: There are none in Kansas as of a year ago, something went down with the Kansas owner of the franchise and they had to close every location. At least the 7-11s out here have slightly better pizza then them at $5.

Also as a person that worked at Dollar General, they may open in lower income areas, but they treat their workers like poo poo.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

butt dickus posted:

Weird that a closed store would still sell me a pizza.
https://goo.gl/maps/HDkdehi3NsRpNmkT9

Might be Olathe only, couldn't remember if it was just Olathe or all of Kansas.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

epsilon posted:

Care to elaborate? I vote w my $ and if it’s particularly egregious I will stop going there.

Basically everything bad you hear about wal-mart, but more so. Lower wages, less help (two people in the store MAX), and just extremely poor inventory situations (most stores don't have a backroom). Plus they tend to open in poorer neighborhoods, and basically provide no security. My store had a robbery and I had to train myself on the security camera on the spot to get the footage, we did not close while I did this, so I had to leave clerk alone at the front to gently caress with it until I found the right footage.

Also had a clerk get left alone to close (which was against policy, but no workers) on a day when every other business was snowed in, the place got robbed, and they only caught the guy because his car got stuck in the snow drift at the end of the parking lot. The higher up did not want the person to close.

Also, take in mind Dollar General is not a $1 only dollar store like Dollar Tree, it is a full rear end general store named "Dollar."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rick posted:

I have an idea for a van based business but I think its time has passed.

Street tacos would like to have a say about that.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
And semi-current Video games.

For free

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Not sure if this counts as circling the drain but jesus, the logical leaps and terrible business practices of Joseph's sugar free cookies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsm0D4upKk

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Have you chik-fil-A eaters never had Popeyes, Churches, KFC, Strips, Jack-in-the-box, Sonic, Wendy's, McDonalds, Buger King, Wal-mart, local Groceries stories, Pizza Hut, Target, or street trucks? All better (and probably cheaper) chicken then Chik-fil-a.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yes when i think "fresh fried chicken sandwich" i think walmart

You really think any restaurant has fresh fried chicken?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Not sure if it's circling the drain, but:

https://twitter.com/WallenderAndrew/status/1219737089023119360

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Maybe Snickers can kill the Chiefs, Great Googly Moogly.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Saddly JCPenny going under is terrible for a few people I know, as they were one of the only nationwide Big & Tall stores, and the most affordable out of those as well. Apparently you can get a 4 to 6X T-shirt there for $10 to $20, where as other B&Ts charge close to $50.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's really amazing how poorly most big businesses are run when one month of slow sales just destroys them.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It was with the Wii, but not the GC

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Atlus was real DMCA trigger happy with Persona 5 too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Wal-mart sells a decent non-frozen dough that you just throw the ingrediants on and bake, costs like $2 - $3 bucks. Should be near the ready to bake cookies/pilsbury biscuit rolls.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just drove by the old site for Metcalf Mall in Kansas, which is now a Lowes (the mall closed down pre-pandemic), I had forgotten that one store on the Mall had bought it's own space so when they tore the mall down that store was left standing.

That store was a Sears. Was.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Oh man, Nish Kumar is pretty good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edrzgR_BAc

Also for those of you that like MXC/TC, Taskmaster is a pretty good watch, and most of it is up on youtube for free.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/BobbyM62/status/1308381470835314689

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/1314262374162010112

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1318913304077733889

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
it's probably more that people don't need shoes when they're not tearing them up or showing them off at work.

No one cares if you're wearing slippers on a Zoom call.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

there wolf posted:

Walmart hasn't been a methed-up raccoon's nest posing as a retail outlet for some years now. It got to the point where the image of their stores was so bad it was hurting their profits, so they increased staff and raised wages a tiny bit to reduce turnover. There are probably still some terrible ones around here and there, but by-and-large they're just like any other big box store. It's probably just a matter of time, though until some up-and-comer executive convinces corporate they could save money by cutting back on labor costs, and it all goes back to poo poo again.

They're doing this now at one I go to, coincidentally it just had to close cause of a COVID outbreak.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I thought part of the success was that once streaming picked up and they saw that physical media was dwindling, they very quickly shunted it for Cell Phones and laptop/PC accesories and support, as well as expanded the home theater options, and most importantly, also expanded the appliance section. Basically focusing on things that Amazon or Netflix couldn't help you with.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/supernovaxox/status/1361827908541509632

Really hope this tanks this company.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Possible incoming circle:

https://twitter.com/laurenthomas/status/1389946008734511108

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Empty Sandwich posted:

around 20 years ago, the Quiznos in State College was almost entirely staffed by skinheads. I don't imagine that's the fault of the corporation, but I didn't go back to that location.

the one near me had a die hard trumper talking about how covid was a hoax and Biden was a pedophile, so my friend and I quietly agreed to never go back.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Stairs posted:

I'm gonna get a "just post" but I want you guys to know just how lovely Michaels can be with wasteage. Working on a doc I'm gonna cut and paste in a bit.
Michaels is GREAT about respecting LGBTQIA+ and I'm proud to be there in that regard but holy poo poo they are hard-loving-core on refusing to share. The waste alone makes me want them to face a Reconning.

does Micheals carry gundam models? I know Hobby Lobby does, but I'd rather not give money to terrorist organizations like ISIS or Christian Fundamentalists.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rick posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1461348239878225934[

Perhaps putting a store on any pad that there wasn't already a Starbucks or Subway on was a bad business model for a pharmacy.

Who can afford drugs at this point?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Apparently the Company Eaglemoss, which are known for doing Comic collections in the UK as well as scale models is filing bankruptcy.

One of their recent ideas was to sell HUGE model kits of things like the Ecto-1, James Bond's Aston Martin, and the Enterprise. As a subscription service.

This has resulted in a bunch of videos like this, where people are stuck with half completed kits and no idea of what's coming in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvi8DZrvdpU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554898759196315648

Sounds like they're just scorched earthing the HBO max streaming service in general.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Physical Cinemas going under due to the last two years of nothing coming out but still having to pay rent and utilities and things like Disney+ just allowing you to rent new movies for $30 makes sense.

HBO Max just dumping shows for no drat reason and cancelling upcoming mostly completed movies except the ones with problematic stars does not.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If not on the movie theater it probably would have been on Crypto.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Josef bugman posted:

I think a lot of the cool stuff produced by animation people is just gone for instance. At least that is what I saw people complain about online.

Unfortunately they dropped a ton of Animation stuff including the amazing show Infinity Train, and other decent hits like Final Space, Mao Mao, OK KO, and Close Enough.

They also bought Sesame Street and dropped 200 episodes from the service.

HBO Max also has ALL of the DC animated library, which includes classics like Batman TAS and Justice League, which are untouched so far, but there's no telling when they might start dropping less well received, but still good shows shows. And they also own all of the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim library.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Kohls also suffers from not being a high quality name, but being more expensive then places like Wal-mart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/wbm312/status/1567974063578185728

This could be the start of something bad